Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2022, 00:24   #4996

Re: Which watch do you own?

I have been wanting to a good skeleton automatic for a while likes of Tissot T-Complication Squelette and Oris Artelier Skeleton. Put I can't pull a trigger on such an expensive watch. I bought fossil skeleton watch which still looks pretty good and unique.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20221210_104941.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-20221210_104935.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-20221210_104920.jpg  

ruturaj001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 14:16   #4997
BHPian

I always loved wearing watches and its the one thing along with Car's and Camera which fascinates me the most. I am nowhere close to being a watch collector nor have that much of financial backing to get into the big league . But I do appreciate Mechanical watches a lot, be it humble HMT or god tier Vacheron Constantin.

I am not a fan of smart watch as it adds to the list of gadgets which require charging, though I did own some at some point of time, but not sure I will go into that route again. Here are some of the watches I own currently.

Titan Automatic - 90110SL01
Diesel Overflow DZ4324
Casio Edifice (World Map) EFR 303L
ZTE Quartz Android wear watch
Timex Expedition Titanium ( Don't remember Exact model Name)
G Shock GBD200

Most of these watches are being used , Titan expedition being the oldest which is with me for almost a decade, and is the one which is not working at the moment and its strap is broken which has a specific integrated design and is extremely difficult to come by.

G Shock GBD 200 is the latest addition, I absolutely love it, it have right amount of activity tracking in my opinion and is build like a tank and you don't want to worry about charging as the battery will last up to 2 years.

Which watch do you own?-20221218_13014401.jpeg

Which watch do you own?-20221218_130317.jpg
Adam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 12:39   #4998
BHPian

Whenever it comes to watches, I swear by a G-Shock. This is my Rangeman GW-9400, which I believe is one of the most VFM tank-like G-Shocks ever made. I got this two years ago and wear it everywhere, even in formal occasions. I don't think I'll need another watch for the next decade, with how the battery never has fallen below H with all the sunlight I get.
Which watch do you own?-img_20221217_194540874.jpg

Also, I absolutely love the rear of the watch with the cat with the compass on its foreleg.
Which watch do you own?-img_20221217_194631802.jpg

Oh, this has been through its share of banging on multiple surfaces, been through water almost every week and has been scratched and licked and chewed on by cats and babies (and cat babies).

All it takes is some rinsing and it's back to being the beast. I don't even mind not using the Atomic timekeeping feature, seeing as the Tough Solar is absolutely worth every rupee.

I got this for around INR 15,000 from Casio's own India website, though I think this has been recently discontinued by Casio (maybe for an upgrade?)

The only other watch I have my eye on is the GX56BB King G-Shock, but I'm leery about traditional negative display G's (Casio discontinued the positive display). Don't want to buy one and not being able to read the display whenever I want.

Last edited by Small Bot : 28th December 2022 at 12:51. Reason: Added more lines.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 19:58   #4999
BHPian

Planning to get my first ever watch. During school I had a G-Shock but that's pretty much it. I have no clue about the nuances of various watches wrt dial size, movements, materials etc and have filtered my list purely on the basis of looks.

I would prefer an automatic movement, rubber/silicon strap with a black/blue/green dial. Budget is upto 80K INR. This will be a daily driver which I plan to wear literally everywhere.

With my search I have almost finalized the Tissot Seastar 1000 Powermatic 80 (black dial with golden bezels).

Would really love second opinions on this and is there any other make/models I should consider before jumping on the bandwagon.

Last edited by Aaroah : 8th January 2023 at 20:01.
Old 9th January 2023, 15:41   #5000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Planning to get my first ever watch. During school I had a G-Shock but that's pretty much it. I have no clue about the nuances of various watches wrt dial size, movements, materials etc and have filtered my list purely on the basis of looks.

I would prefer an automatic movement, rubber/silicon strap with a black/blue/green dial. Budget is upto 80K INR. This will be a daily driver which I plan to wear literally everywhere.

With my search I have almost finalized the Tissot Seastar 1000 Powermatic 80 (black dial with golden bezels).

Would really love second opinions on this and is there any other make/models I should consider before jumping on the bandwagon.
Check out the Seiko Speedtimer (INR 58000 at Ethos) and Seiko 5 GMT models (around 40k). Well within your budget, but solid mechanicals and good looking- perfect as daily drivers. Unless you are insistent on a Swiss made watch, Seiko would be my go to for a first watch. There are plenty of other watches in their Prospex range as well (divers, chronographs as well as field watches) which you might want to check out as well.

Orient is another solid brand, which I swear by - their watches are among the most worn in my collection.

At your budget, you can easily build a 2-3 piece carefully curated watch collection for various use scenarios, i.e. both formal and informal usage.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 9th January 2023 at 15:45.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 19:34   #5001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Check out the Seiko Speedtimer (INR 58000 at Ethos) and Seiko 5 GMT models (around 40k).

At your budget, you can easily build a 2-3 piece carefully curated watch collection for various use scenarios, i.e. both formal and informal usage.
Will check the Seiko series out, what do you think about the Longines Hydroconquest Diver? It is slightly over budget and has a quartz movement, but I liked the allure of a better brand.
Old 9th January 2023, 21:17   #5002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Will check the Seiko series out, what do you think about the Longines Hydroconquest Diver? It is slightly over budget and has a quartz movement, but I liked the allure of a better brand.
It is a solid brand and the Hydroconquest is a pretty popular model as well. Nothing wrong with it if you like the aesthetics. If possible, try it on your wrist before putting down the money on the Longines.
Old 15th January 2023, 13:11   #5003
BHPian

Buying my first entry level automatic watch. Currently using a G Shock 5600bb.

Any reliable online stores to buy watches in India? Have a budget of 10 to 20k. Have narrowed my search to Seiko, Alba, Vostok, Citizen or Orient.

Has anyone ordered watches from Amazon USA? On amazon.com the SNKL45 is deliverable to India with a price of 91.98 usd plus 11.22usd shipping. Additionally there's an import estimate of 43.60usd. This adds up to a price of rs.11932.71. Is the import a smooth affair with the courier handling the customs process? Or am i better off buying one in India?
Old 15th January 2023, 20:42   #5004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Or am i better off buying one in India?
Watches can become an expensive hobby, eventually. If you are getting started with automatic watches, I recommend the youtube channel and website of Teddy Baldassare. Here is a link for good automatic watches under 500$.

Having the understanding of the watch world and price spectrum various brands operate in, gives you an idea of what are good brands and what are not.

With this background, I would recommend buying from a renowned local dealer. In that way, you start building relationships with a reputable firm for the long haul. This helps you get good service and also they can keep you posted of any interesting value picks that might come in to their store.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 10:37   #5005
Senior - BHPian

Republic day special - HMT Janata with blue canvas strap
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20230126_090719.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 15:37   #5006
BHPian

After much contemplation, I ultimately opted for the Tissot Seastar 1000 Powermatic with a Rose Gold dial and silicon strap.

The other options I considered were the entry-level versions of Rado Centrix and Longines Hydroconquest. It was like having to choose between the BMW 2 Series and the Audi A4 or the Skoda Octavia / Superb - deciding to go for quality and features over brand.

And to top it all off, I got an outstanding deal from the Tissot AD in Phoenix Palladium, making the decision a no-brainer for me personally. I love how it looks on my hand!

Which watch do you own?-20230129_152720.jpg

Which watch do you own?-20230129_152820.jpg
Aaroah is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 17:58   #5007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Any reliable online stores to buy watches in India? Have a budget of 10 to 20k.
See if you like any Orient watch below 20k. Else go for HMT. I think you can buy an automatic watch as well as a hand wind, perhaps even two, from HMT for that budget.

I personally will go for HMT. Orient/Seiko mechanical watches at that budget are not Japanese made as far as I know. More like assembled in China.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 18:53   #5008
BHPian

Latest addition to my collection.
Casio Duro MDV-106.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-screenshot_20230206165555319_com.miui.galleryedit.jpg  

adi.mariner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 09:02   #5009
BHPian

Gifted my beloved Orient Ray 2 a curved end rubber strap from Invella. As the strap has curved ends, it perfectly aligns with the watch case giving it a more refined look. It's pretty thick and heavy duty as well and holds the weight of the watch pretty well, unlike the Galaxy watch strap which used to be extremely flimsy. Attaching some pics:

Which watch do you own?-01.jpg

Which watch do you own?-02.jpg

Which watch do you own?-03.jpg
RiGOD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 15:35   #5010
BHPian

Latest addition - Citizen Ecodrive Promaster

Which watch do you own?-img_0114.jpg
dk7729 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com