Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2022, 18:52   #4936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

I have acquired my second watch, so was thinking about getting a winder. Amazon has this one: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07PLXP5F8/ which seems just right (maybe I could go for the 4-watch model to cater to future expansion plans). Any opinions?

This unit has battery power also which works for me because the place where I intend to place it has no mains access.
Old 10th July 2022, 01:10   #4937
BHPian

A few additions to the collection:

The Omega x Swatch moonSwatch Pluto, but on a delugs strap.
Which watch do you own?-c119275618ef49bd83f6e517f411641f.jpeg

The Omega Railmaster in blue.
Which watch do you own?-cfe1859e46194edcabd505bb756a6e88.jpeg

The Tudor BlackBay Pro.
Which watch do you own?-1e6b822de8614c7ea9aa822857b8b492.jpeg
reihem is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 07:33   #4938
BHPian

Slightly OT, but needed advice. I’ve moved to using an Apple Watch around 4-5 years back, and I have some watches lying unused for a while now. Some of them are unused (2 Tissot and 1 titan) which still have the plastic wrapping on I received these as a long service award from my earlier companies.

Any idea what I can do with them?
Old 10th July 2022, 09:11   #4939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
Any idea what I can do with them?
IMO, for starters you can send the Tissot one to me.
Old 10th July 2022, 09:26   #4940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
IMO, for starters you can send the Tissot one to me.
Absolutely. Keep an eye on the classifieds, I’m posting them in a couple of days.

Old 11th July 2022, 11:03   #4941
BHPian

Hey guys

I am sort of a newbie to watch market. As a kid, I used to wear one all the time; gradually lost the habit somewhere. I am trying to pick it up again.

I am in the market for something classic and time-less but a little budget constrained. Could anyone suggest some good blogs for watches, preferably Indian blogs so that I can learn more about them and probably make an informed decision.

For reference - I am a young adult - early 20s - in case it is relevant.
Old 13th July 2022, 05:16   #4942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have acquired my second watch, so was thinking about getting a winder. Amazon has this one: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07PLXP5F8/ which seems just right (maybe I could go for the 4-watch model to cater to future expansion plans). Any opinions?
So I have the Chiyoda 4 watch winder which I like and is good to use, but also see Jeroen's comment below - see if it's an absolute necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post

The Chiyoda watch winder has been in use for about 4 months now. Few observations-
1. Has 4 independent motors with multiple settings - 650-2000 revs per day, both clockwise and counter-clockwise/ both
2. The motor is super silent and barely audible when in action
3. The body has been well finished and gels well with wooden furniture
4. The drawer at the bottom is pretty much useless with the pillows being as big as the space, without the pillows, it is usable for other watches

Tapish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have two watch winders, all programmable for different watches. But I have stopped using them. They still display my watches, but I have not switched them on.

Obviously, a big advantage of a watch winder is your watch(es) run on time, calendar is up to date. But here the thing, they actually wear your watches down too.

Watch winders are a bit of a carry over from old times. Watches, especially, the mechanical/automatic watches needed to run continuously to keep working accurately. One of the big problems used to be the lub oil clogging up, once a watch stopped.

However, with modern oil technology that is simply not a problem anymore. You can put your Omega Speedmaster away for five years and once you pick it up and it will run fine! But if you had it on a watch finder for five years, it would need a service, as it had essentially run for five years. It doesn’t make any difference, really, whether it’s on your wrist on our your winder.

I have 6 watches, all automatics. I have now taken to wear each watch for 4-6 weeks and then switch to the next. I alway check the date setting on the watch I am about to put on. I will switch watches at one day after the set date on the watch that was setting idle. So I only adjust one day. Works fine for me. I have also a very nice, automatic, dress watch I wear on special occasions. No date/calendar. So I can just strap it on for the evening and switch back to one of my other watches when I come home.

Jeroen
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 23:23   #4943
BHPian

A bit late to the party. Here’s my usable collection and the latest procurement, Janata. No favourites as such as I like to mix and match multiple watches every few hours. ��

I am looking at an El Promero chrono, Defy or an avenger as my potential next buy. Looking forward to great interactions here.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-a9d88146431a453aa749f2d242f66abf.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-5ffbe4f559e54667ba756f1904747be5.jpeg  

Last edited by AZ911 : 13th July 2022 at 23:25. Reason: Grammar
AZ911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 08:38   #4944
BHPian

Not a Watch, but a Wall Clock.
I have recently collected a Wall Clock approximately 80 years old. It was working fine till few years back and now may require a Service. I will clean it up myself first and see its condition.
History : My father-in-law challenged his British boss showing him his new Bicycle while the Boss was in his Car. The Challenge was to reach the office first. While the Car was driven along the gravel road, my father-in-law rode through short cuts and beat him. The latter gifted this Clock to my Father-in-law.
It's Convex Glass has been kept safely. Made by Seikosha, Japan, some local repair shop guy had pasted his shop sticker inside. I shall carefully remove its traces and would try to bring it back to glory.
Hope to see it

Which watch do you own?-20220803_081106.jpg

Which watch do you own?-20220803_082151.jpg
Amrik Singh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 12:58   #4945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

This unit has battery power also which works for me because the place where I intend to place it has no mains access.
Frankly, a watch winder is not really a necessity, especially if you are only using a few watches in your rotation. Just give the unused watch a wind every few days, and you are good to go. If you are using both watches in regular rotation, even that is not required to be done.
Old 4th August 2022, 13:21   #4946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Frankly, a watch winder is not really a necessity, especially if you are only using a few watches in your rotation. Just give the unused watch a wind every few days, and you are good to go. If you are using both watches in regular rotation, even that is not required to be done.
Regular Manual winding often gives the Watch uneven shading. The Thumb and Finger rubbing to wind the watch starts showing abrasion on the Watch.
Old 4th August 2022, 13:45   #4947
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
A few additions to the collection:

The Omega x Swatch moonSwatch Pluto, but on a delugs strap.
Interesting to see the moonSwatch in the wild. Where did you score this. I remember I wanted one when the initial hype was there but the whole shortage and black market pricing put me off.
Old 10th August 2022, 18:44   #4948
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, need your guidance.

The watch I posted in post #4929, I gave it for service to one of the Omega authorized service centers and got the attached quote for them. Please can you advice if the costs and line items for service mentioned, are in order? Is there anything thats not needed? Thanks for your inputs
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-watch-service.jpeg  

Old 10th August 2022, 19:56   #4949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Please can you advice if the costs and line items for service mentioned, are in order? Is there anything thats not needed? Thanks for your inputs
You can use Omega service price calculator to find the approximate prices. They also mention the steps involved for a complete service

It looks like an early seamaster 600 series, and one of the popular omega handwound models from the 60s. When I look at the prices now (on chrono24.com), it varies from 300-3000Euros, depending on condition.

Which watch do you own?-screenshot-20220810-161756.png

If I input the parameters (single crown, handwound, non-precious metal crown) in the price calculator, it comes to about 550EUR (~45000INR). So the quote of 52000INR seems okay to me, if you think of keeping the watch further. I presume, you got the quote from a reputed Omega service center.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 12:48   #4950

Got these watches from a friend. They are dirt cheap but I'm surprised on the looks department, especially on the Pepsi dial one.
Keeping time well for the last couple of months.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20220811_123541.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-20220809_105253.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks