Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 23:17   #4816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisitions and the very fine collection you have. You have clearly made it in life, hats off to you.

how does one go about acquiring an ALS?

Are used ones easier to come by compared to new ones?

I have the same query regarding Jaquet Droz as well, but from what I understand they are Ferrari level exclusive and all pieces are limited editions.
Answer is opposite of what you have been assuming of the availability these watches. Actually you can pretty much get anything and everything in the preowned or grey market.

All the scarcity is around buying new from Authorized Dealers only. Again JD shouldn’t be an issue buying new, ping me with the model reference and I can get you the leads in US.

ALS, VC, AP, PP and Rolex are all almost completely non available in the AD’s shelves. But all of them are available in grey market with premium price tags(some are extremely high priced).

As far as ALS preowned watches, you do get them on Facebook groups, preowned dealers or pawn shops. Just need to have patience as these are produced and circulated in limited quantities and demand is also very high.

After the COVID19 pandemic, there is a tsunami of watch buyers lay their hands on everything available on the internet hence demand is leaping high but the production is not in full capacity that drives the prices even higher range. This situation has provided so many flippers an opportunity to make profits and also they drive tough competition to the actual wearers trying to buy a watch.

One and half years ago I used to get $14k price tagged AP ROO but now a days the preowned prices starting with $22k tag and goes almost upto $70k

If you are ok with alternate brands that aren’t not very famous in the Industry I would recommend looking at these

1. Chopard
2. Bvlgari (Octo Finissimo line)
3. Parmigiani Fleurier
4. Glashutte Original
5. Piaget
6. Blancpain
7. Zenith

Above brands produces some of the best in class and horologically advanced watches. I have many Zenith’s in my collection but remaining are in the radar.

Last edited by trammway : 3rd January 2022 at 23:28.
trammway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 00:25   #4817
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
All the scarcity is around buying new from Authorized Dealers only. Again JD shouldn’t be an issue buying new, ping me with the model reference and I can get you the leads in US.
I wish I had the money to buy every JD model. Each piece is unparalled mechanical art. My favorite would be the lotus automation and the parrot pocket watch. I am only looking for the Datograph right now. JD is reserved for when I cross my next financial milestone. But thank you so much for offering your contacts.

Quote:
After the COVID19 pandemic, there is a tsunami of watch buyers lay their hands on everything available on the internet hence demand is leaping high but the production is not in full capacity that drives the prices even higher range. This situation has provided so many flippers an opportunity to make profits and also they drive tough competition to the actual wearers trying to buy a watch.

One and half years ago I used to get $14k price tagged AP ROO but now a days the preowned prices starting with $22k tag and goes almost upto $70k
Yep. Lot of people got rich off of crypto and stocks. I almost got offered double for my reverso in 2021. Crazy times.

Quote:
If you are ok with alternate brands that aren’t not very famous in the Industry I would recommend looking at these

1. Chopard
2. Bvlgari (Octo Finissimo line)
3. Parmigiani Fleurier
4. Glashutte Original
5. Piaget
6. Blancpain
7. Zenith

Above brands produces some of the best in class and horologically advanced watches. I have many Zenith’s in my collection but remaining are in the radar.
All very good. I am partial towards F P Journe though. I actually have the defy classic skeleton. It is a very nice conversation starter.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 00:58   #4818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am partial towards F P Journe though.
There are so many JDs in $6k or less budget in preowned market

But FPJ are in the premium price tag category so it is as good as other names.

But good luck for your hunt
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 01:17   #4819
BANNED

JD Magic lotus. Mesmerizing mechanical art.

Which watch do you own?-jaquetdrozmagiclotusautomatonhandson10.jpg

Name:  JaquetDrozMagicLotusAutomatonhandson1.gif
Views: 955
Size:  4.57 MB

Price: ~250K USD pre-covid
Electromotive is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:57   #4820
Distinguished - BHPian

I got my Dad’s old Seiko automatic fixed recently. We lost him in July and when he was in hospital I'd told him my plan which he found more amusing than touching. He’d bought it in 1970 I think and had kept it all these years though he'd shifted to more reliable quartz watches a long while back.

Took it to my friendly neighbourhood watch guy: World Time on Paud Road and he said he would give it a shot. It’s in working condition now but the day/date is a bit temperamental.

Which watch do you own?-aa30003472254af9a1efdb89c0cf0a76.jpeg

I wore it just once- to a lunch meeting with some old friends- and don’t plan to use it regularly. But feel good that I got this done.

Last edited by noopster : 4th January 2022 at 12:58.
noopster is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 15:58   #4821
Distinguished - BHPian

An impulsive purchase. I don’t wear digital watches much but this reminds me of my childhood when I used to buy Chinese calculator watches for Rs. 100-150. Got this Data Bank series model by Casio from Amazon:
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-9e7eb180768342aba45764e37a11191b.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-feae459d7b854ddd97c9ca6960dfe9ec.jpeg  

saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:45   #4822
BHPian

Hi guys,

Need some help. My BIL just got a watch winder from the US for me as a gift. Unfortunately, the charging cable was not a part of the box and he did not notice that while packing.

I am unable to figure out what charger will work best for it in India. Can somebody help with this?

https://www.amazon.in/CHIYODA-Watche.../dp/B07TQMCJP7

Thanks in advance
T
Old 12th January 2022, 00:18   #4823
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post

I am unable to figure out what charger will work best for it in India. Can somebody help with this?
Here you go:
Name:  CHIYODAadapter.png
Views: 820
Size:  728.0 KB
source
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:58   #4824
BHPian

So there was this limited edition model of beloved Casioak(GA-2100HC-4ADR) listed on Amazon. Even though I haven’t had need for it, but anyways went ahead and bought it. I got a decent deal on it also. MRP ₹9195, got it for ₹6635. Looks ok, I personally think, let me know what you guys think about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-0f7e556162a34fdeab823e0573cf98c4.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-679231e90b8d4ff08ff87210495de825.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-12f0d4a204504726aa56c99c466aa953.jpeg  

abtyagi is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:25   #4825
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have fallen in love. The subject of love ‘this time’ is an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. It is so beautiful. I have a few questions:

1. What kind of servicing is required for an Omega?

2. The price that I am seeing on ethos is 6.11L. What is the room for negotiation on these watches?

3. Is there a place in Delhi-NCR I can go try it out in person?

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st January 2022 at 08:31. Reason: As requested
Old 21st January 2022, 00:03   #4826
BHPian

My dad used to own 2 Camy watches, 1 was a winding one with a very unique chain and the other a winding + automatic.

Does any one own a camy watch here? I have been looking for the unique chain of the winding watch but most people see the brand and wonder where I got it from.

Any leads will be highly appreciated
Old 21st January 2022, 08:41   #4827
Senior - BHPian

Brighter orange suits the GSHOCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by abtyagi View Post
So there was this limited edition model of beloved Casioak(GA-2100HC-4ADR) listed on Amazon. Even though I haven’t had need for it, but anyways went ahead and bought it. I got a decent deal on it also. MRP ₹9195, got it for ₹6635
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-f977c2f78d3c4147849a1031d3994d93.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:46   #4828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I have fallen in love. The subject of love ‘this time’ is an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. It is so beautiful. I have a few questions:

1. What kind of servicing is required for an Omega?

2. The price that I am seeing on ethos is 6.11L. What is the room for negotiation on these watches?

3. Is there a place in Delhi-NCR I can go try it out in person?
1. Mechanical watches require servicing every five years or so.

2. All prices are negotiable. There is a margin of 15% to 25% on the list price. At times during stock clearance you may get as much as 30% or more off.

3. Omega has a few official retailers. Ethos and Kapoor Watch company are two. You can get a list of authorised agents on the net.
https://www.omegawatches.com/store/c...city/new-delhi

For deep discounts you have to be patient and wait for various schemes to come up.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:47   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go:
Thanks Electromotive.

Hi guys, I have one question - a friend is able to get me a Rolex OP Datejust (from abroad) white gold "New" through a friend for about 4.5L. The retail price of the same in India is around 6.6L. I'm reading of resale prices for in-demand Rolexes to be around 2x of this. Should I take this deal if I'm only looking to sell it ahead? Would secondtimezone or Luxepolis be able to get me a decent margin?

Thanks
T
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 05:51   #4830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Thanks Electromotive.

Hi guys, I have one question - a friend is able to get me a Rolex OP Datejust (from abroad) white gold "New" through a friend for about 4.5L. The retail price of the same in India is around 6.6L. I'm reading of resale prices for in-demand Rolexes to be around 2x of this. Should I take this deal if I'm only looking to sell it ahead? Would secondtimezone or Luxepolis be able to get me a decent margin?

Thanks
T
Although not very clear, I feel you shall be buying with White money and the assumed sale is (again doubtful) by receiving Black money.
Anyone spending 6 lacs plus just for a Watch is no ordinary person and must have flown abroad where he could select from various models available rather than be forced to a particular available Watch. Watch for the Watch.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 23rd January 2022 at 05:52.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks