Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 15:39   #4606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Can you tell me any forums or facebook groups where you can find reliable sellers for other watches.
Marketplace @India Watch Company is a Facebook group that you can join . It is exclusively for sale and trading of watches among members. Have sold a couple through this.
Old 16th April 2021, 17:00   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
The first HMT I bought was the White Pilot. It looks identical to the limited edition but doesn't say "limited edition" on the case back though. Did HMT make more than the limited 500?

Edit: Apparently they did make more than 500 and mine is from that lot https://techenclave.com/threads/go-h...-hands.151600/

Which watch do you own?-img_20210416_164202.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_20210416_164128__01.jpg

Last edited by Jaguar : 16th April 2021 at 17:05.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:34   #4608
BHPian

I have been following this Italian microbrand called Meccaniche Veneziane since it came up in the kickstarters and finally snagged a piece after eyeing for almost a year as I was really impressed by the design and how it looked nothing like a homage.

This is the link of the particular watch I got, the stainless steel case is a comfortable 42mm and it has a domed sapphire crystal. It’s a dive watch so there is also 200M of water resistance which I don't think I will try with the leather strap.

https://www.meccanicheveneziane.it/c...-o42mm-1302012

Here are some photos of the watch,
Which watch do you own?-mv_1.jpg

Looks like million bucks to me
Which watch do you own?-mv_2.jpg
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:12   #4609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Serious question: apart from woolly sentimentalism is there any value to collecting HMT watches? Do they, for example, appreciate in value and are they perceived as collectibles with some long-term value? Asking because I see so many posts here about HMT.
Asking this question is akin to asking, if there is any value in buying HM Ambassador, Fiat 1100, Bajaj Chetak, etc. HMT watches (mostly mechanical models) evoke a sense of nostalgia of the bygone era. In addition no credible watch company in the world offers an authentic mechanical hand winding watch with inhouse movement for as low as ₹3000 odd. The inhouse movement 0231 that HMT used in its manual hand wind models is based on and licensed from Miyota Japan's movement. The movement has been more or less the same as it was during the inception in the 1960's.

In the world of horology, companies which produce movements inhouse are held in high regard. HMT uses the movement based on Miyota albeit it builds them inhouse rather than buying movements in bulk from Miyota which many other companies do, especially fashion brands.

There is a market for HMT mechanical watches around the world as I witnessed on some watch forums. Watch enthusiasts will lap up watches having inhouse movements. HMT still manufacturing it's vintage model at affordable prices is another cherry on top. The day when they stop producing watches or run out of stock is when the watches might appreciate in value. One can argue there are too many of them to appreciate in value but I have witnessed a time when people were paying ₹10000 for a new old stock HMT Pilot watch.
navin_v8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 14:08   #4610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Just now bought three on the right
Wanted to update my own post with a bad and good news.

Bad: The mechanical pilot watch which I bought with so much of nostalgia, started giving trouble. The winding button was not getting pushed in properly and used to click at some position after several attempts.

Good : Took it to the shop at hmt bhavan, they had a look at it for few seconds and replaced with a newer watch with old straps.

Was wondering how many days they will take to repair abs give it back abs in what condition. Never expected this from a company older than my father.

Thank you hmt.
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 14:51   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The first HMT I bought was the White Pilot. It looks identical to the limited edition but doesn't say "limited edition" on the case back though. Did HMT make more than the limited 500?

Edit: Apparently they did make more than 500 and mine is from that lot
Yes, you are correct. 500 were made, via a GO on watchuseek. I got one from there. They did a second GO too, with a bigger dial and exhibition case back.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20210418_144322_348.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20210418_144356_447.jpg  

asingh1977 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 15:22   #4612
BHPian

I need to replace the cracked glass on my HMT Kohinoor. I see HMT has three shops. I want to go to the place where they have a shop and service centre.

https://www.hmtwatches.in/18/sales/retail.htm

What is the difference between these three shops? The last one is mentioned as a souvenir shop which sounds exciting.

Which watch do you own?-hmt-shop.png

It is approximately 35KM from my home. I am a bit reluctant to drive that much distance inside the city so want to gather information as much as possible.
Old 18th April 2021, 15:51   #4613
AZT
BHPian

I'm looking to add an HMT, would be cool to own a home grown Indian watch brand. I liked the white pilot above, are there any similar suggestions which are still available.
Old 18th April 2021, 23:21   #4614
BHPian

Quote:
Serious question: apart from woolly sentimentalism is there any value to collecting HMT watches? Do they, for example, appreciate in value and are they perceived as collectibles with some long-term value? Asking because I see so many posts here about HMT.
If you are looking at monetary value I guess there is not much at least in the near future. Apart from that, the complete watch collecting hobby is based on 'woolly sentimentalism' irrespective of brand.

About HMT :first thing, these watches cost just around 3K INR. In my view they are great VFM when compared to other mechanical watches. And the brand has credible history and licensed in house movement. That's a lot compared to competition [if there is any at this price point!]

I've heard that the quality is not that great when it comes to new HMTs and my bad experience with new HMT watch is limited to hand applied lume which kinda looks shabby. But so far my 3 new HMT Watches have been running just fine [along with Dad's 30+ years old HMT Automatic].

Quote:
I'm looking to add an HMT, would be cool to own a home grown Indian watch brand. I liked the white pilot above, are there any similar suggestions which are still available.
My favourit is HMT Pilot Classic Black dial!!

Which watch do you own?-20210417_0229001.jpg

Last edited by somspaple : 18th April 2021 at 23:31.
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 01:17   #4615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I need to replace the cracked glass on my HMT Kohinoor. I see HMT has three shops. I want to go to the place where they have a shop and service centre.

https://www.hmtwatches.in/18/sales/retail.htm

What is the difference between these three shops? The last one is mentioned as a souvenir shop which sounds exciting.

Attachment 2145669

It is approximately 35KM from my home. I am a bit reluctant to drive that much distance inside the city so want to gather information as much as possible.
I have been to all three outlets. The Jalahalli one and the Souvenir Shop are quite close to each other. Infact the Souvenir shop is within the HMT museum premises, however it is the smallest of all.

Regarding servicing , the Jalahalli one has a service centre in the same premises from what I could understand. They once replaced my new Janata since it was delivered in a damaged condition. They definitely have the service department somewhere close by.

The Bellary road one is as big as the Jalahalli one and usually has a bigger variety. It's housed in the Corporate Office of HMT. They will also have a service center in-house .

Best to call them before you visit, that way you can be sure they have the parts and the associated time it will take them to fix it.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 13:17   #4616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Asking this question is akin to asking, if there is any value in buying HM Ambassador, Fiat 1100, Bajaj Chetak, etc. HMT watches (mostly mechanical models) evoke a sense of nostalgia of the bygone era. In addition no credible watch company in the world offers an authentic mechanical hand winding watch with inhouse movement for as low as ₹3000 odd. The inhouse movement 0231 that HMT used in its manual hand wind models is based on and licensed from Miyota Japan's movement. The movement has been more or less the same as it was during the inception in the 1960's.
Thank you for that reply- it really helped clarify things

On another note, anyone has any opinion on Ice Watch? Found them when browsing Ethos and love the look of them especially the solar watches. Pretty affordable as well.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 15:51   #4617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On another note, anyone has any opinion on Ice Watch? Found them when browsing Ethos and love the look of them especially the solar watches. Pretty affordable as well.
You're welcome mate. I am not sure about Ice watches, it looks like many of those fashion brands. If you want a solar powered watch then Casio has some really good watches in their regular as well as G-Shock line up. As a watch enthusiast I steer clear of fashion brands and usually don't recommend them. Most of them use cheap Chinese movements and charge a bomb. Some fashion brands (like Esprit) do use the Japanese Miyota quartz movements. One can buy watches from credible companies like the Japanese Big 4 companies like Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Casio, etc. who have been in watch making business since many decades. Quartz, Solar, Kinetic or Automatic is one's choice.

Quote:
Hello mate, there is no fixed timeframe on when the watches come in stock on the HMT watch website. It is purely luck or one has to be in the right time at the right place. They do have a notify me option when the watch comes in stock but I am not sure if it works.

Apart from Pilot there are other options such as Janata and Karna if you like clean simple dials. Both these models come in white dial. You can also check out the Kohinoor which has a cushion case design and comes in white dial. All these watches that I mentioned are mechanical hand wind watches. There are also battery quartz options but I being old school always pickup mechanical ones as they are value for money and will easily outlast quartz models. I have HMT watches from the late 60's and 70's still running flawlessly.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:34   #4618
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I have HMT watches from the late 60's and 70's still running flawlessly.
Thanks. I already have mechanical watches and I just wanted to own this more as a piece of Indian watchmaking history. Will definitely check the website for when back in stock.
Old 20th April 2021, 12:09   #4619
BHPian

My first Analog G-Shock. The Casioak GA2110 in grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20210420_120050.jpg  

avi550m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 12:12   #4620
BHPian

Quote:

Ice Watch is one of those which was a fashion fad a few years ago. But I guess that fad has died down now.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed