Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 13:04   #3736
BANNED

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Please check with your local watch repair shop. They may have few old damaged watches to get spare screw.
Did give a couple of watch shops a shot, was not able to source the screw but got info that the Casio uses a bigger screw compared to the rest of the digital watches and hence would be hard to source.

Anyways I presume the watch would not need a battery replacement for 5 years at least so until then I'll just try my luck and see if something works out for me.

OT: Bought a Stanley precision tool kit, have a couple more watches with gentler screws that needs a battery replacement, hoping I won't face complications as before.
Old 16th November 2018, 23:17   #3737
BHPian

What do you guys think about this one here from Oris?

https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-bi...067-07-5-17-68

It looks like a vintage military watch, given it's green dial! I'm impressed with the looks of it, but not sure of the movement and it's reliability! After doing a bit of research, looks like it has got the ETA copy in the name of Sellita which is a Swiss manufacturer! If I care less about the movement, the watch is simply stunning from my opinion. It might appeal to those looking for a military vintage look and this one from Oris definitely has that look!
Old 17th November 2018, 15:48   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My Omega constellation 43mm has finally reached our son. Should be in to Swatch soon. Let us see what are the damages. You may recall that the hour had had broken loose. The hand was moving around a bit.
He called up my wife to get a handle on exactly what was wrong. So God willing the watch should be with Swatch soon. Let us hope it is no much more than a normal service. My Speedmaster is working well with him.
Old 19th November 2018, 14:05   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
New member joins my Orient family - Sun & moon V3 with a curious epson marking on the case back
This is a part of my never ending shortlist of watches I must buy. However, I am unfamiliar with Orient's quality - is it comparable to Seiko?
Old 19th November 2018, 15:12   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
This is a part of my never ending shortlist of watches I must buy. However, I am unfamiliar with Orient's quality - is it comparable to Seiko?
Yes, it is certainly comparable to Seiko and I find them to be even more value for money than Seiko. In recent times, Seiko models have become generally pricier and lesser value for money than what they once were.

I use two Orients, one dress watch and a diver- neither have disappointed me with their build quality and accuracy. By the way, if you are considering the Sun and Moon, you should check out the Black Friday sale on Long Island Watches. There are cool discounts to be had on this model, among others.
Old 19th November 2018, 15:23   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Yes, it is certainly comparable to Seiko and I find them to be even more value for money than Seiko. In recent times, Seiko models have become generally pricier and lesser value for money than what they once were.

I use two Orients, one dress watch and a diver- neither have disappointed me with their build quality and accuracy. By the way, if you are considering the Sun and Moon, you should check out the Black Friday sale on Long Island Watches. There are cool discounts to be had on this model, among others.
That's good to know!
Thanks for the sale tip - but I can't buy a watch at the moment, spent all my money on getting myself a Polo GT TSI.

Besides, I'm in the market for an all black (dial, body, strap) watch at the moment.
Old 25th November 2018, 11:52   #3742
BHPian

My latest and a very impulsive buy thanks to the End of Season sale at Mumbai Duty free and Citibank Cash Bank.

Surprisingly this deal worked out cheaper than the prevailing offers from Montblanc boutique @Dubai Outlet Mall.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20181125_114341.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20181125_114353.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20181125_114643.jpg  

Old 25th November 2018, 23:49   #3743
BHPian

I just can't live without my Apple Watch Series2.It has made life so convenient and has actually pushed me to adopt a more active lifestyle.
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:38   #3744
BHPian

Took advantage of black friday and picked up a couple of pieces

Citizen BN 0190-82E (from dutyfreeislandshop.com , luckily didnt get dinged with custom duty)
Alpina Startime pilot big date 372BGR4S6 (for a song from ebay.com after the blackfriday coupon). First Alpina, the price and value prop was too much to pass. Havent received it yet, will be getting it next week when my relative comes back from US

Will share my review of the Alpina and Citizen soon
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:02   #3745
Oxy
BHPian

I am considering venturing into the world of automatics and have zeroed in on this:

https://www.creationwatches.com/prod...tch-11562.html

Yesterday walked into a Helios store and was told that this is a 20 year old model and has been discontinued a long time ago. In that case, how is this available on Creation Watches and how safe is it to buy from there? And how much duty am I going to be charged?

Any inputs would really help.
Old 2nd December 2018, 14:33   #3746
Senior - BHPian

You cannot go wrong with a Seiko 5. They are robust and very well made and the movements are great. I have a Seiko 5 for last 10 years and it has never missed a beat. You can confidently go ahead. I am not aware of the custom duty structure on watches so perhaps someone else can chime in and tell you that bit. Creation watches seems to be a reputable seller and I guess some folks here have bought from them too. Last but not the least, anything that is not available with our local shopkeepers is always either bad, out of production or not available.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:28   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am considering venturing into the world of automatics and have zeroed in on this:

https://www.creationwatches.com/prod...tch-11562.html

Yesterday walked into a Helios store and was told that this is a 20 year old model and has been discontinued a long time ago. In that case, how is this available on Creation Watches and how safe is it to buy from there? And how much duty am I going to be charged?

Any inputs would really help.
Totally false. Seiko 5 is available at Seiko outlets in India. Agreed that the collection is not as vast as it is abroad, but you can see the models on the Seiko India website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
You cannot go wrong with a Seiko 5. They are robust and very well made and the movements are great. I have a Seiko 5 for last 10 years and it has never missed a beat. You can confidently go ahead. I am not aware of the custom duty structure on watches so perhaps someone else can chime in and tell you that bit. Creation watches seems to be a reputable seller and I guess some folks here have bought from them too. Last but not the least, anything that is not available with our local shopkeepers is always either bad, out of production or not available.
I agree. I got myself a made in Japan Seiko 5 from Amazon.com earlier this year and I am really happy with the quality! It has been my daily, although I try to alternate my watches every week.
Can't comment on the customs duty as I had someone carry it back with them.
Old 12th December 2018, 00:27   #3748
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this article/youtube video. Very interesting. A comparison between a Japanese and a Swiss watch by taking them apart, component by component.

https://www.professionalwatches.com/..._V5DXG4kyn6Ts0

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 08:33   #3749
Senior - BHPian

A question for the horology experts:

I have an Omega Seamaster Quartz that's recently had to go in for a PCB replacement with a bill of 15k.

I am told (by more than one expert) that this happens:

1. Once every 8 - 10 years (the watch has been with me for 10 years although worn very seldom), and

2. If the battery is not replaced every 1.5 years.

I have other watches - Swatch, Casio and other dress watches that are put to a lot more rough use that have also been with me for equally long or longer periods but none of them have had this problem.

So the question for the horology experts is - is this fact true?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by AMG Power : 12th December 2018 at 08:34.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:34   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
A question for the horology experts:

I have an Omega Seamaster Quartz that's recently had to go in for a PCB replacement with a bill of 15k.

I am told (by more than one expert) that this happens:

1. Once every 8 - 10 years (the watch has been with me for 10 years although worn very seldom), and

2. If the battery is not replaced every 1.5 years.

I have other watches - Swatch, Casio and other dress watches that are put to a lot more rough use that have also been with me for equally long or longer periods but none of them have had this problem.

So the question for the horology experts is - is this fact true?

Thanks in advance for your help!
It is true. I've seen this in more than a few cases. I must advise you that if you know a good old watch-smith, take it to him for a second opinion. I got a friend's Omega fixed for 800 bucks when the service centre wanted 20K - but the guy is a legitimate expert, I've never seen a watch he couldn't fix.

Most Viewed