Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2018, 11:49   #3706
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

@ARoy; Ditto for my Omega. However, my Rado does not subscribe to it. Only one position, so to change the date there is only on way, turn the knob. Esp painful in the end of February.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:55   #3707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Orient Surveyor - my daily beater for almost 10 months now.
I have never been fascinated by watches and in fact only recently started to regularly wear my 8 year old Timex Expedition. However, Orient Surveyor caught my fancy. So much so that I am completely smitten by this now and planning to buy one for myself.

Now, I am completely new to this world of automatic watches, never even having heard of it till few months back. Considering that if at all I buy the Surveyor, I will most probably wear it only occasionally, how tough would it be to maintain the watch? Does it even make sense to buy such a watch when the use is not frequent?

While I liked the watch, I don't want to invest too much time, effort and money in maintaining it. I would really love to own this watch but don't want to ruin it due to improper use and maintenance.
Old 1st November 2018, 14:16   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
While I liked the watch, I don't want to invest too much time, effort and money in maintaining it. I would really love to own this watch but don't want to ruin it due to improper use and maintenance.
If & when you buy The Surveyor, I bet you will not wear your Timex much. Also, you won't need to spend any time/money/effort in maintaining an automatic. I have this automatic watch (Which watch do you own?), and the only thing needed to keep it in working condition so far is to wear it (which I do for a couple of weeks in a month).

Go for it!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st November 2018 at 14:18.
Old 1st November 2018, 15:22   #3709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If & when you buy The Surveyor, I bet you will not wear your Timex much. Also, you won't need to spend any time/money/effort in maintaining an automatic. I have this automatic watch (Which watch do you own?), and the only thing needed to keep it in working condition so far is to wear it (which I do for a couple of weeks in a month).
Thanks! I guess the allure of that beautiful watch will get better of me. Will try and alternate between watches to keep them in shape. Orient watches seems to have official store in Pune, near GPO. Planning to visit during weekend to see how these watches look and feel. I am skinny, and short, so need dials which are not imposing. Hope I don't disappoint Surveyor.
Old 1st November 2018, 15:50   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that if at all I buy the Surveyor, I will most probably wear it only occasionally, how tough would it be to maintain the watch? Does it even make sense to buy such a watch when the use is not frequent?

Hello, I am also a noobie in the watch world but from what i have learned on various forums and reaffirmed by @arindambasu33 and various other learned members Japanese automatic watches are quite robust and maintenance free, recent posts of 40 year old Cititzen automatics ticking away happily are testimony of this fact.

Surveyor i think will be perfect for you as the dial is very subtle and sits quite pretty on thin wrists like mine.
Old 1st November 2018, 16:04   #3711
Senior - BHPian

Went to St.Thomas Time Centre, Jayanagar for Seiko SKX009 crown-stem replacement and they charged Rs.100 for the same. I bought crown-stem for $12 from the USA.

Authorized service center had quoted Rs.3450 and 4 months lead time for the same work.

Thanks to Condor for posting St.Thomas store details.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:01   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Went to St.Thomas Time Centre, Jayanagar for Seiko SKX009 crown-stem replacement and they charged Rs.100 for the same. I bought crown-stem for $12 from the USA.

Authorized service center had quoted Rs.3450 and 4 months lead time for the same work.

Thanks to Condor for posting St.Thomas store details.
Can you post a few more details on the experience? For example, how was the workmanship in handling your SKX? Did they seem confident in handling mechanical movements (I know yours was only a crown stem replacement, but that would have involved opening up the movement itself)? Not too many people use mechanical movements nowadays, and hence the question.

Also, do they service automatic watches regularly?

Also which was the authorised service centre that you had approached earlier?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd November 2018 at 09:02.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:06   #3713
Senior - BHPian

@arindambasu13 - Work involved - Opening up the case, removing stem, take seals from old crown, and fixing it back (took less than 15 minutes). He asked me about the source of new crown-stem and said he can get it here in Bangalore in a day. I saw few mechanical/automatic watches on their work desk. I had taken my watch to Zimson and they took 5 weeks to give the quotation.

I have an issue with my Citizen Eco Drive and planning to take it to them.

@condor - How was your Seiko service experience?

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd November 2018 at 10:09.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:28   #3714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
@arindambasu13 -

I have an issue with my Citizen Eco Drive and planning to take it to them.
Go to Citizen Authorised service centre in Indiranagar (12th main?). They do an excellent job
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:46   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Normally in most Day-Date models the day and date are set by rotating the knob clock wise or anti clockwise. The knob generally has three position
1. Fully closed
2. Pull one detent - change day or date
3. Pull two detent - change time

It is there in my Tissot, Seiko 5 and Citizen, so it may be a universal method.

The only watch where the date change was complicated was in my Rolex GMT, where you had to advance the hour hand by 24 hours.
Hi Aroy,

Yes - most modern watches have quick set and we can set day\date as described by you. All my other mechanical\quartz watches have the quick set function.

Initially, it was the reason I thought the day\date mechanism on my Citizen Eagle 7 was broken. Later I realized that it is not so - the watch does not have a quick set function and need to set the day\date as you do for Rolex GMT.

Now the problem is that the day\date combination does not correspond to the current calendar, and I need to find a way to advance the day so that the day and date will match the current calendar.

--Anoop
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:14   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi Aroy,

Now the problem is that the day\date combination does not correspond to the current calendar, and I need to find a way to advance the day so that the day and date will match the current calendar.

--Anoop
What you do is
. Extend the crown fully
. Rotate it to change time. Keep rotating till the correct time and day are achieved.
. Now change the date.

The reason some watches, especially old ones have no "DAY" adjustment is that the day set once, does not require change, where as Date does due to different number of days in various months.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:25   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What you do is
. Extend the crown fully
. Rotate it to change time. Keep rotating till the correct time and day are achieved.
. Now change the date.

The reason some watches, especially old ones have no "DAY" adjustment is that the day set once, does not require change, where as Date does due to different number of days in various months.
The day and date - both are changed by advancing the hour hand by 24 hours, so I am still at a loss to see how can I change the date independently of the day.

--Anoop
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:09   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
The day and date - both are changed by advancing the hour hand by 24 hours, so I am still at a loss to see how can I change the date independently of the day.

--Anoop
Yes that is normal. So if you set the day and time first, then you can change the date independently
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:59   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Orient watches seems to have official store in Pune, near GPO.
I am not sure, but I guess the price in the brick & mortar store near GPO might not be same as the online selling price (currently 9195 for the metallic strap, 9045 for the leathers ones).

So please double check both before forking out the cash.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 2nd November 2018, 16:18   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I am not sure, but I guess the price in the brick & mortar store near GPO might not be same as the online selling price (currently 9195 for the metallic strap, 9045 for the leathers ones).
I did check the website and it was the ongoing sale which tempted me to take a dip. I want to try out the watch at store before purchase simply because I am not very confident that the dial size would suit me. I hope the online discount is available in store as well, would be a bummer otherwise. Fingers crossed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks