Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 01:17   #2056
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

If you want to pick up a daily use watch, look out for offers on Flipkart (for many items sold by WS Retail) where they are offering 500rs off for 1500, 750rs off for 2000 & 1500rs off for 4000rs worth of purchases.

PS: It is only for a few watches. The expedition watch is a good one at Rs 1496 IMO
Old 26th August 2013, 14:56   #2057
Senior - BHPian

I'm in need for some quick advice here. Please help me decide between Mudman and Riseman.
Because I love off-roading, I know Mudman makes a lot of sense, but Riseman is such an amazing gadget. :(
Old 26th August 2013, 16:28   #2058
BHPian

I own a Casio Edifice 540D. Its a very god looking watch but very heavy on hands.

I need to take it off to begin the day when I am working on the laptop all day. Would recommend this if you need a good looking watch for around10k INR. (I got it at half the price from UAE )

http://www.casio-intl.com/in/en/wat/...l/EF-540D-7AV/
Old 26th August 2013, 17:03   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pahwa, For me it has to be a G. And that too between a mud man or rise man.
Old 27th August 2013, 01:42   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guha_2001 View Post
Hi all - need some inputs regarding a vintage watch

We have my grandfather's Rolex, it is a 1950s Oyster Perpetual, and in a poor condition cosmetically and mechanically as no one has taken care if it for 20 yrs now

There is a big scratch on the glass face. When wound, it loses half hour every day. I gave it to a watch repair shop and they suggested I replace the entire movement.

What would the watch experts on the forum suggest about repairing/restoring the watch? How much would a proper restoration cost and is there somebody qualified in Bangalore who can do it? Or should I just get the watch repaired by a small shop?

Any help/pointers will be appreciated. Right now we have no clue what to do with it. At the same time we don't want to sell it!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. Never give it to a normal repair shop as they do not have either tools or access to the spares.
2. The Glass of older rolex was perspex. It is a bit rounded and scratches easily.
3. I would suggest that you go to Mumbai personally and get an estimate for repairs. I doubt if you would get away for less than 50k. These watches will sell for upwards of 5L (10L if gold case), so be careful.
Reply from Aroy is a very good indicator to what you should be doing and what you should not be. However I would like to differ to the prices he has quoted for a Oyster Perpetual A 1950s SS rolex Oyster Perputal in a good working condition sells for INR 1.5-2 L where as a gold one can be bought for INR 4-5 L.

If you were to get the entire movement changed then you should only get it done by Rolex. However since it is working I doubt a full movement change is required.
If I were you I would send it to Rolex and do not even bother about getting it opened by any independent watch shop.
Old 27th August 2013, 10:14   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Reply from Aroy is a very good indicator to what you should be doing and what you should not be. However I would like to differ to the prices he has quoted for a Oyster Perpetual A 1950s SS rolex Oyster Perputal in a good working condition sells for INR 1.5-2 L where as a gold one can be bought for INR 4-5 L.

If you were to get the entire movement changed then you should only get it done by Rolex. However since it is working I doubt a full movement change is required.
If I were you I would send it to Rolex and do not even bother about getting it opened by any independent watch shop.
Yes the model we have typically goes for $4k on Ebay US. It does have a lot of sentimental value to us. But at the same time I am not willing to spend lakhs on it. Interestingly my sister and I had gifted a Titan to our grandfather. He was more fond of it than his Rolex. Funny how subjective these things are.

Thanks a ton for your inputs Will take it forward with the Rolex service centre then.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:59   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
If you are in market for a watch winder, then may I suggest that you go for a watch winder which has got individually programmable turn table. They might cost more initially but in the long run they will pay back a few times over.

By the way congratulations on your Omega. Some how I have never owned an Omega, though some of their watches are absolute beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I've got one of those programmable watch winders. If you're in the market for a watchwinder, here is some information:

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/winders.shtml

http://orbita.com/

You will find that you can easily spend as much money on watch winders as on the watches themselves!

Jeroen
Please suggest a decent watchwinder. I am in the market looking for one. I am looking for something that can handle 2 watches at least. How is this one?

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/home#...inder-r07win00
Old 27th August 2013, 18:49   #2063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Please suggest a decent watchwinder. I am in the market looking for one. I am looking for something that can handle 2 watches at least. How is this one?

I'm not familiar with the Tagheuer one.

Here's a picture of mine:

Which watch do you own?-img_0587a.jpg

It's a Rotolution. See http://www.windmywatch.com/rotolution/flash/index.htm

It's a beautiful wooden case, it has two winders and a little drawer that hold an additional three watches. You hook it up to a computer and you can program each winder individually; clockwise, anticlockwise, alternating and turns per day anywhere from 15 to 6000.

The above would be my recommendation for any winder. It has to be programmable clockwise, anticlockwise, alternating and turns per day anywhere from 15 to 6000. Also, make sure it runs very silent. Unless, you're not bothered by a little electrical motor spinning up every few minutes.

You don't want to be buying a watch and then find your winder can't handle it. Even very good jewelers often don't know what the settings of the winder should be for a specific watch. So you'll have to contact the manufacturer. Omega replied to me within 24 hours with the winder requirements for my new Speed master. The same was true for MeisterSinger, the watch on the left and Fredrique Constant watch on the right.

And would you believe it somebody went through the trouble of making a youTube of this particular model:

I bought my winder when we lived in Kansas City, USA and it cost a lot: $600,-

Comes in a few different models:

http://www.watchfreeks.com/41-straps...on-winder.html

And some more details:

http://luxurytyme.com/rotolution/roto1.html

I did look into buying my watch winder very carefully and I spend hours trolling the internet, several watch forums and several jeweler shops. I found that most jewelers don't know the setting, see above, but also have very little knowledge about what makes a good watch winder. So in the end I decided this particular brand/model and bought it from a very well known jeweler near Kansas City where I also bought some watches. (http://www.mjewelry.com)

Here's a link to a good informative site when it comes to the various aspects of what you should look for in a good watch winder.

http://www.mywatchwinder.com/faq_watchwinders.htm

Enjoy, I found searching for and eventually buying a watch winder was as much fun as searching and buying the watches. Also, I have it sit on my office desk at home, so I enjoy the looks of the winder and the watches every day. Also, if you believe all the internet forums, it keeps your watches in better shape. And of course, they're always running at the correct time and date.

So enjoy,

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 27th August 2013 at 18:51.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:53   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post

Would you mind telling which watches are you planning the winder for ? The reason I am asking this question is because watch winders range from a few hundred all the way to some serious money.

Its purely a case of horses for courses. There is no point in buying a high end watch winder with individual turntable controls for an ordinary watch with an ordinary movement. Similarly if you have got a really complex watch movement then its always better to shell that extra and go for the very best you can afford.

More over if your watch winds in only one direction then there is no point in going for a watch winder which has got uni directional programmable trun table.

I could be of more help if you could give me an idea about the kind of watch you want the watch winder for.
Old 28th August 2013, 13:37   #2065
BHPian

The Timex that I wear to office. Like its simplistic design. Its about 6 years old now. Not a scratch
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-wp_20130828_002.jpg  

Last edited by aneezan : 28th August 2013 at 13:38.
Old 5th September 2013, 14:13   #2066
BHPian

My new Sieko. The simplicity of dial simply draws attention. Looks better in person than pictures.

Old 6th September 2013, 14:40   #2067
BHPian

Automatic watch experts, My Titan automatic stopped working (winding the key did not make it start ticking - I think the spring got cut??) and was given for repair under warranty.

I received the watch back after repair, but I feel, the rotating winding weight (at the back - whatever it is called) makes a noise / I can hear it rotate like there is some fiction, which should not be the case in my opinion. The store guy claims all watches make this much noise & hence nothing is wrong with watch.

This titan watch has a Miyota movement. I think it was pretty silent before going to repair. Eitherways, a 14K worth watch should not be making any sound, however feeble it may be in my view.

Shouldn't this winding weight be silent when it rotates? Pl. share your view & any suggestion on next actions with Titan.
Old 6th September 2013, 23:58   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

This titan watch has a Miyota movement. I think it was pretty silent before going to repair. Eitherways, a 14K worth watch should not be making any sound, however feeble it may be in my view.

Shouldn't this winding weight be silent when it rotates? Pl. share your view & any suggestion on next actions with Titan.
A mechanical whirring sound when the winding weight rotates is acceptable. From ETA 2824s to Sellitas, from the C1.01s to the Miyotas and Seikos. I've heard them all make the whirring sound. So, as long as it keeps time well, the whirr shouldn't be too much of a bother.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 7th September 2013, 15:17   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
the rotating winding weight (at the back - whatever it is called) makes a noise / I can hear it rotate like there is some fiction, which should not be the case in my opinion. The store guy claims all watches make this much noise & hence nothing is wrong with watch.

Unlike almost all ETA, Vostok, Orient movements where the rotors wind bi-directional, the Miyota rotor winds the main spring unidirectional. If the rotor goes in the non-winding direction, it rotates almost without resistance and makes relatively high RPM. though this sound differs significantly from the noise of the rotor, when it winds the movement.
The problem you are facing is not a defect of Miyota, it is just the way it is designed. Your movement should become a bit quiter with 3-4 months of use.
However just double check with Titan if they checked the bearing and rotar for any worn out signs and did they change the rotar and/or bearing ?
Old 7th September 2013, 15:26   #2070
BHPian

It is a new watch (used max 2-3 months, even less). It was pretty silent before it went bad (few months back). I gave it for warranty repair. When I got it back, I feel it is making more noise than I recollect from before. It does not feel like it is new anymore. This my concern.

Hence this query :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks