Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2024, 20:53   #3601
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Juna Furniture - Marathi Movie on Amazon Prime
Rating - 5/5
An emotional drama about relationship between a Successful IAS Officer and his parents.
Very touching and emotional story.
Mahesh Manjrekar who plays the leading role has written and directed this movie. Also we have Upendra Limaye in a very special role. Overall a very good movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31844525/
BrokenHW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 06:47   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Recently watched a Marathi movie "Ali Baba ani Chalishiche Chor" on Prime.
Neither my wife nor I could make head or tail of it. Boasting of a stellar cast like Subodh Bhave, Mukta Barve, Atul Parchure , Umesh Kamat, it was a tale of a set of "upper class" couples who are also old time friends and small incident that almost takes them all apart from each other. Interesting but such a weak premise on which they mounted a whole movie. It became boring beyond the first few minutes frankly, and none of the actors could rouse any interest beyond some "deep dialogue" about how in their 40s, it can be convenient to stay married and not retain fidelity towards each other. If this is what the Marathi filmdom calls avant garde cinema (a reputation that it has supposedly earned recently), then I respectfully disagree.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 14:00   #3603
Senior - BHPian

Nadanna Sambhavam (Malayalam):

A charismatic new resident (Biju Menon) who quickly gains the admiration of the ladies in a housing community triggers the egos of the other male residents, especially his neighbour (Suraj).

I initially expected it to be something like the yesteryear Jayaram starrer Ayalathe Addeham, but this turned out to be quite different. It's not a long movie, so I didn't feel any lag and found the events in the second half interesting. There are some mature topics discussed in the second half, which form the crux of the movie. Younger children may not immediately make sense of it and they may have questions for you later

The performances are good. To me, the movie is in the watchable-once category.

Gaganachaari (Malayalam):

A science fiction comedy set in the future. It is quite evident that they made this on a small budget, but the portions showing a post-WW3 Kochi and alien ships have been executed well. There are some parts which evoke genuine laughter. In terms of performances, I felt that Gokul Suresh and Ganesh Kumar were a step ahead of the rest. Aju Varghese is also a main character, but he has done such roles in many movies. Anarkali Marakkar is the "alien" presence.

I will put this also in the watchable-once category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guruvayoor Ambalanadayil
And what was with the climax. It was Godfather gone wrong or made stupid.
It is definitely an intentional Godfather reference (less enjoyable than the original, I agree). There are other such references in the movie as you will have noticed, including in the climax itself.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 18:39   #3604
Senior - BHPian

Maharaja is coming to Netflix on 12th July.

The Regional movies thread!-20240708_183825.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 18:49   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It is definitely an intentional Godfather reference (less enjoyable than the original, I agree). There are other such references in the movie as you will have noticed, including in the climax itself.
Lot of old movie references in new movies that it has become boring and repetitive.
Old 8th July 2024, 19:54   #3606
Team-BHP Support

Aw man, Guruvayoor Ambalanadayil was a dragfest! After all the good titles which were released in the first half of the year, this was just boring.

And here’s a snap with Rahul Sadasivan during a recent meet-up with our batchmates (we studied from the first to eighth grade together):

The Regional movies thread!-img_8885.png
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 20:22   #3607
BHPian

Is no one having the courage to be the guinea pig and watch the Shankar-Kamal reunion after 28 years? reviews seem to be scathing!
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 00:05   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2625288
What a brilliant movie. Absolutely must watch. Hope no one mentions or even hints about the plot here. Avoid reading too many reviews and just watch it before you read spoilers.

5/5 for me.
kalpeshc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 08:11   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Is no one having the courage to be the guinea pig and watch the Shankar-Kamal reunion after 28 years? reviews seem to be scathing!
Went only because my brother had extra ticket. Looks like Shankar was frozen in time in 1996 and just came back to life. Amateurish storyline, horrible editing, pathetic graphics. Even music is equally bad.

The best part of the 3 hrs is the trailer for Part 3.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 08:21   #3610
Senior - BHPian

After a series of disappointments with hyped up Malayalam movies (my personal opinion and myself a Malayalee), watched Maharaja with zero expectations and this turned out to be the best movie I have watched in 2024. Really missed watching this in theaters.

Last edited by poloman : 13th July 2024 at 08:22.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 11:30   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Maharaja (4/5) started very dull, and bored me but it was a rocket when it picked up steam. The ending was brilliant and anything I say would give it away. The plot arc left me disturbed for sure. Do watch this one.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 16:39   #3612
BHPian

Watched Aavesham. Halfway through the movie didnt know what will happen. But enjoyed it. Good direction, music and acting can make a normal story look very good. Was my first Fahad movie and liked him a lot
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 16:59   #3613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Thanks for the screenshot. I was initially confused thinking that this was a recommendation for Maharaj - also on nextfix.
Old 14th July 2024, 21:46   #3614
BHPian

Watched Maharaja in Kannada. Good movie with good non-linear and twisty way of story telling. 4/5.
Old 15th July 2024, 05:42   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Maharaja - watched it last evening, in Tamil.

Excellent one. Very solidly layered. Loved it.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed