Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 20:23   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Venicile Vyapari ( വെനീസിലെ വ്യാപാരി )

Venicile Vyapari ( വെനീസിലെ വ്യാപാരി ) :: A good film. I especially liked the retro looks of the actors, though felt it mismatched some where and all. The movie has a good flow and don't make you feel bored. I don't find anything exceptional in the movie. The theme is fresh and that is the major highlight. Mammootty looks as handsome as he can even at this age, so does Kavya. Poonam Bajwa though, ...looked a little odd with the lip sync out of place in many sequences. Shot mainly in the backwaters, I believe the camera man could have captured its beauty better. The retro song "Kannum Kannum" was well received by the young audience with generous claps, during the Mammootty intro scene "twice" ! Of the whole, I loved the back ground music THE MOST !! That was very attractive and enjoyable.

My rating :: 3.0/5.0 - Watch it once.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 23:03   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Watched Melvilasom (Malayalam) last weekend.I definitely think the movie is worth a watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I also watched this movie last week. Definitely worth a watch. Had read good reviews about this movie and that is the reason why I bought the CD.
THANKS A TON for letting me / us know about this movie. Wonderful stuff! Movies like these should get selected for awards than commercial flicks or rather be recommended to Oscars!!
Old 20th December 2011, 17:18   #333
Senior - BHPian

Watched the new Priyadarsan-Mohanlal-Mukesh film "Arabeem Ottakom P.Madhavan Nairum".

While it's much better than some of the "comedy" films we have seen in recent years (like China Town, Pokkiri Raja), I think it is still a bit off Priyadarshan's best. There's a bit of everything - comedy, sentiments, a little bit of action, suspense and a twist in the tail. Thankfully, the comic scenes won't make you cringe. Songs are OK, but the background music is the weakest technical aspect of the movie. IMO, the film is a decent entertainer and a good one-time watch.

I liked it better than Priyadarshan's last few Malayalam films (Kilichundan Mampazham, Kakkakkuyil, Vettam, Megham).
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 10:47   #334
Senior - BHPian

Indian Rupee : 4/5 Must watch film IMHO. Thilakam superyi thilangana film! Jagathy too does a good job.

Melvilasam; 3/5. Good for a film wherein the whole stage is just a room! No song,no ladies nothing!

Film Star: 3/5. More of a Maniyan movie and Dileep is just there. The 'twist' in the story is good and I didnt expect it.

Watching 7evens now. Not bad till now Glad to see some good films this year.
Old 25th December 2011, 06:29   #335
Senior - BHPian

Watched the Malayalam Movie Oru Marubhoomi Katha yesterday at Cinemax in the newly opened Total mall on Outer Ring Road. Movie is an entertainer. Typical Priyadarsan movie. Though it reminds of his previous movies, there are some genuine comedy scenes. Liked it more than Snehaveedu. Much better than China Town.

Got the CD of 'Chappa Kurishu' yesterday. Will update once I watch it.
Old 26th December 2011, 09:56   #336
Senior - BHPian

Watched chappa kurishu yesterday. Brilliant movie with excellent performances of the lead actors. Must watch movie.

Happy to see some talented new directors and actors coming up in Malayalam cinema.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 19:01   #337
BHPian

Watched Chaappa Kurish.
One word - AWESOME!!! Nice to see such tangential stuff coming out of Mollywood.

Hard to believe the movie was shot entirely using a Canon 7D DSLR!!!!
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 00:32   #338
BHPian

Atlast watched Kerala Cafe. Wish i hadn't waited 2 years to open this box of 10 delicious candies!

'HAPPY JOURNEY' was cute. 'OFF SEASON' was off-sense.
It was 'BRIDGE' that blew me away though. Heart wrenching. Salim kumar shines.
Old 8th January 2012, 22:20   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Kunjaliyan (കുഞ്ഞളിയന്)

Nothing great. A wanna be comedy suspense thriller [if I may call it]. Goes without making any impact at all. The actors try hard to make us laugh; and at very few instances they grace success. The chemistry between the lead pair is not striking. I was so let down by the costumes; especially the heroine's. I don't think such bad dressing/color combination can be seen even in remote places now a days. Story line is weak & there are no spectacular performances required by anyone. The only saving grace of the movie is the song "Chempazhukka Nalla Chempazhukka" and it's picturization. They have put the beauty of the locations to good use and the greenery is refreshing in the song. My pick of the star(s) in the movie are Ashokan & Manikkuttan. Suraj as usual tries really hard to make the audience laugh with his decade old tricks; Some body tell him that we are BORED TO DEATH seeing his repeat sub-standard comedy!!

My Rating:: 2.0/5.0 - You may skip this movie as well & save 2.5 hours

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2012 at 22:21.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:39   #340
Senior - BHPian

I havent seen this yet, but this seems to be a very promising Marathi movie.. another Oscar contender perhaps ? Anybody seen it ?

The Regional movies thread!-shalaonesheet_520.jpg

Below is a fantastic track from this movie (its not in Marathi..!)

Old 27th January 2012, 20:07   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Casanovva [കാസനോവ]

Casanovva [കാസനോവ]:: DISASTER to say the least! I just lost my respect for Rosshan Andrrews! This movie is all UNNECESSARY style & no substance. This is a play boy movie. The only audience who seems to enjoy the whole movie are the teenage & college goers. For the rest, this movie is absolute non-sense. The first half ends on a decent note, but second half is a torture! I was wondering & praying that the movie get over soon.

Watch this movie if

1. You want to see Dubai for Rs. 50/-
2. You are a car freak
3. You are a wanna-be playboy who want tips to "correct" chicks
4. You want to see the local versions of Dhoom, Fast & Furious, Ong Bak mixed into one single movie!

The positive points are - beautiful locations, some of the music tracks are a BIG hit already, some really hot chicks in swim suits! The movie also has few playboy [adult] humor in between which spices up an otherwise boring movie!

The action sequences are NOT great, and the movie just loses logic in many shots. The sour experience starts right from the opening scene, but gets better towards the end of first half & total chaos just before closing for the interval! During many scenes, we get to see Dubai registration cars with right hand drive - so much for the attention to detail.

This is by far the MOST EXPENSIVE Malayalam movie till date at ~21 Crores budget! This movie might still recover the losses; courtesy young fans who love those "Masala stuff" in the movie! There were so much claps during the swim suit scenes & playboy humor!!

My rating - 1.5/5.0

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th January 2012 at 20:09.
Old 10th February 2012, 20:07   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Second Show [സെക്കന്റ്റ് ഷോ]

A decent movie. Dulkhar Salman doesn't disappoint, for a beginner! The whole movie needs a lot of refinement, but will keep you happy! A lot of the movie crew makes a debut here [majority of the actors + Director] and they have done a good work; nothing exceptional though. A handful of shots are extremely stylish, couple of BGM bits nice & a sound track is enjoyable! The movie starts pretty bad on everything and picks up pace by the interval time. I was disappointed with the voice of Dulkhar [may be dubbed as well] as it lacked the style, tone & character required by the hero as a lot of the movie goes thru some flash back narration. A better voice would have definitely added more spice to this movie. All the actors have done a fair job; but could have been better; may be they need to get polished with experience. I would have seriously loved better BGM thru out the movie as well.

My pick of the star is "Kurudi aka Nelson Mandela" [Sunny Wayne] and he definitely outshines even Dulkhar Salman with his talent & role. There are some nice comedy bits which brings in laughter, but many a times they fail to deliver as well. I am not really sure where all the movie suffered, but the flow was definitely missing. At few places, the logic is flawed as well. The use of cigarettes in the movie is atrocious, almost every scene has the hero or support cast lighting a cigarette! But the twists came out well if you ask me!

My rating: 3.0/5.0 - One time watch!
Old 12th February 2012, 17:43   #343
Senior - BHPian

I watched Casanovva (Malayalam) today. Maybe because of the many negative comments that I'd heard about the movie, my expectations were lowered. So I enjoyed the movie and did not find it boring.

Attention to detail is lacking, which is quite bad given the budget of the movie. For eg: the movie opens with a heist where none of the baddies are wearing any gloves - and in the next scene, the police say "there are no fingerprints"! And I guess many of the supposedly Dubai scenes were filmed in Malaysia or so.

Story - there's as much or as little of it as you'd expect in films these days
Songs - hummable, shot mainly with skimpily-clad ladies
Action sequences - pretty decent, shot well (attention to detail lacking as mentioned above)
Romance - the lead pair's romance is given only about 15mins screen time and it isn't really enough to warm your hearts to their love story
Climax - of course, the hero has to think of and execute everything

There have been worse movies in the last year or two - Chinatown, PokkiriRaja, Bodyguard, Snehaveedu, Puthiya Mugham - which were hits. So I won't be surprised if this film also makes money.

I felt Casanovva is a "normal" out-n-out commercial movie, the kind that churned out every year in Hindi/Tamil/Telugu, released in Kerala and lapped up by keralites. So only one advice if you are planning to go for it: leave your brains at home and watch it without prejudice.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 00:40   #344
Senior - BHPian

Casanova has some nice songs ( yet to see the film, thala vekkum one day though )

Spanish Masala :3/5
There's not 'masala' in it. Its a fun film. The whole theater enjoyed the jokes. Nelson has done a good job, hope he gets more good films/roles in future. The heroine, well, she too did a good job. I couldnt find any fault that we normally see with foreigners in mallu films. Good entertainer.

OT, eat and go watch the film. Some initial scenes may make you hungry!

Respect to Kollywood! People should learn stuff from them .

Aadukalam 4/5

Watch it! The director/writer got Dhanush the National Award for this film.

Mayakkam Enna 3/5

First things first! Liked the new comer Richa Its about a photographer who struggles to get a break. I also like a song sung bu Dhanush ( a rap). They could have been careful with some scenes ( lack of detail)

I guess only Dhanush could do such kind of roles.

Veppam: 3/5

Nithya Menon's second tamil film I guess. Nice story; again, a different one , its grippy. Another film which is worth watching and which proves that 'big' heros isnt needed if the story is good.

Last edited by jkdas : 13th February 2012 at 00:41.
Old 13th February 2012, 09:42   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I watched Casanovva (Malayalam) today. Maybe because of the many negative comments that I'd heard about the movie, my expectations were lowered. So I enjoyed the movie and did not find it boring.

Attention to detail is lacking, which is quite bad given the budget of the movie. For eg: the movie opens with a heist where none of the baddies are wearing any gloves - and in the next scene, the police say "there are no fingerprints"! And I guess many of the supposedly Dubai scenes were filmed in Malaysia or so.

Story - there's as much or as little of it as you'd expect in films these days
Songs - hummable, shot mainly with skimpily-clad ladies
Action sequences - pretty decent, shot well (attention to detail lacking as mentioned above)
Romance - the lead pair's romance is given only about 15mins screen time and it isn't really enough to warm your hearts to their love story
Climax - of course, the hero has to think of and execute everything

There have been worse movies in the last year or two - Chinatown, PokkiriRaja, Bodyguard, Snehaveedu, Puthiya Mugham - which were hits. So I won't be surprised if this film also makes money.

I felt Casanovva is a "normal" out-n-out commercial movie, the kind that churned out every year in Hindi/Tamil/Telugu, released in Kerala and lapped up by keralites. So only one advice if you are planning to go for it: leave your brains at home and watch it without prejudice.

Well said.Completely agree with you. I also watched it on the second day of release after reading reviews. I enjoyed it more than China Town, Christian Brothers etc.

Most Viewed