Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 07:51   #3421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Anweshippin Kandethum - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-1.jpg

Synopsis - Revolves around two major crimes that shook kerala and the subsequent inquiry into the cases

Been waiting for this and it didn't disappoint. You feel the disconnect in between when they take up the second case but doesn't spoil the experience. All did a good job and climax was pretty good. Will manage to keep you on the edge till the end. The reasoning is nothing new here but very well executed.

Rating - 4/5 (Netflix). Highly recommended.

Merry Christmas - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-2.jpg

Synopsis - Two strangers meet on a fateful Christmas Eve. A night of delirious romance turns into a nightmare.

It had the potential but sort of spoiled it. The movie got unnecessary scenes and was way too long. Could have edited it and made it more thrilling. Also, couldn't digest both lead actors acting. I think Vijay Sethupati lost his rom-com touch now after doing Lokesh's films. Nice art and BGM though.

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix). Watchable

Devil - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-3.jpg

Synopsis - Hema married to Alex meets Arun in accident, bond grows. Will Proximity causes strain on Hema's relationship with Alex.

There's nothing to write about. Old wine in a new bottle. And it's not a horror movie.

Not worth rating. Can be skipped. Available on Simply South.
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:27   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Anweshippin Kandethum - Malayalam

Been waiting for this and it didn't disappoint. You feel the disconnect in between when they take up the second case but doesn't spoil the experience. All did a good job and climax was pretty good. Will manage to keep you on the edge till the end. The reasoning is nothing new here but very well executed.

Rating - 4/5 (Netflix). Highly recommended.
Fully agree with the comments. I liked the movie, Tovino did a great job in acting as well. I have become a big fan of Malayalam "Who dunit" movies.

Quote:
Merry Christmas - Tamil

It had the potential but sort of spoiled it. The movie got unnecessary scenes and was way too long. Could have edited it and made it more thrilling. Also, couldn't digest both lead actors acting. I think Vijay Sethupati lost his rom-com touch now after doing Lokesh's films. Nice art and BGM though.

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix). Watchable
Just switched off within 20 mins of watching the movie, very slow.

Can I request one thing? Can you avoid putting the synopsis, kind of reveals the spoiler actually.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:33   #3423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can I request one thing? Can you avoid putting the synopsis, kind of reveals the spoiler actually.
Sure. Will stop adding it. I generally pick the one that doesn't reveal much, usually from IMDB rather than Google.
Old 13th March 2024, 23:56   #3424
Distinguished - BHPian

Anweshippin Kandethum
OTT : Netflix
4/5

We love Malayalam movies and based on the recommendation of the previous posts, checked out this movie and it was engaging and satisfying for sure.

This felt like 2 episodes of "Crime Patrol" which is another favorite of ours which unfortunately stopped after many years of playing on Sony.

Story is about solving 2 separate crimes by Tovino Thomas and his team who play cops in Kottyam, Kerala.

It's an engaging story and keeps you glued till the end. I particularly love the beautiful Kerala landscapes and the "lungi" clad star-cast in most Malayalam movies who guzzle kallu (there is at least one scene for sure in most Malayalam movies that shows how much they love to drink) as it adds to the overall charm.

I love such thrillers. Are there any others similar to these playing on any OTT that I should add to my watchlist?

Recommendations are welcome.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 04:07   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anweshippin Kandethum
OTT : Netflix
4/5

I love such thrillers. Are there any others similar to these playing on any OTT that I should add to my watchlist?

Some of the thrillers from mollywood (not in a particular order)

Iratta
Forensic
Ela Veezha Poonchira
Drishyam - 1 and 2 (Hope you have already seen)
Joseph
Kannur Squad
Mumbai Police

There are many more to add. Thought of mentioning some came to my mind.
MaxTorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 06:48   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Some of the thrillers from mollywood
Iratta
Forensic
Ela Veezha Poonchira
Drishyam - 1 and 2 (If you haven't watched them already)
Joseph
Kannur Squad
Mumbai Police
Including some classics from masters like Padmarajan, George, Moham and MT along with some recent ones that i like
1. Kariyilakkatu pole
2. Mukham
3. Ee thanutha velupan kalathu
4. Memories
5. Ancham pathira
6. Jagrtha
7. Ee kanni koodi
8. Uthram
9. Poovinu puthiya poonthennal
10. Yavanika

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th March 2024 at 07:02.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 07:41   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Go to wikipedia, search for KG George and watch his films. Just a handful of movie like Padmarajan but he was the master of psychological thrillers in malayalam and introduced dark thrillers here way back in the 80's. Most of his films are underrated like "Ee Kanni Koodi", "Irakal" ( which some say Fahadh movie "Joji" is the modern version of it).

Then for the new gen thrillers, other have pointed some really good ones. Here are few:

1. 7th day
2. Munnariyippu (Not exactly a thriller but highly recommended)
3. The News (1989 - Suresh Gopi)
4. Manichitrathazhu - The all time classic thriller
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 08:20   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
[b][i]
It's an engaging story and keeps you glued till the end. I particularly love the beautiful Kerala landscapes and the "lungi" clad star-cast in most Malayalam movies who guzzle kallu (there is at least one scene for sure in most Malayalam movies that shows how much they love to drink) as it adds to the overall charm.
Happy to clear some misconceptions. We wear 'mundu' or 'dhoti' and don't guzzle kallu. Malayalis drink as much as people in other states of India. Since the liquor industry is tightly controlled, the availability is limited to Govt run liquor stores or some high class hotels. So there is some novelty among public related to drinking, that is all.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 08:35   #3429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Some of the thrillers from mollywood (not in a particular order)

Iratta
Forensic
Ela Veezha Poonchira
Drishyam - 1 and 2 (Hope you have already seen)
Joseph
Kannur Squad
Mumbai Police

There are many more to add. Thought of mentioning some came to my mind.
Thanks. I saw Forensic and Drishyam 1 & 2.

Need to add the others to watchlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Including some classics from masters like Padmarajan, George, Moham and MT along with some recent ones that i like
1. Kariyilakkatu pole
2. Mukham
3. Ee thanutha velupan kalathu
4. Memories
5. Ancham pathira
6. Jagrtha
7. Ee kanni koodi
8. Uthram
9. Poovinu puthiya poonthennal
10. Yavanika
Are these thrillers? I'm particularly a fan of thrillers. And, I enjoy other genres only if it's really good.

Quote:
Then for the new gen thrillers, other have pointed some really good ones. Here are few:

1. 7th day
2. Munnariyippu (Not exactly a thriller but highly recommended)
3. The News (1989 - Suresh Gopi)
4. Manichitrathazhu - The all time classic thriller
Thanks. Never heard of any of these. Will add them to the watchlist.
Old 14th March 2024, 08:42   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
8. Uthram
You mean Utharam (Answer), 1989 movie?
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:29   #3431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You mean Utharam (Answer), 1989 movie?
Yes. Sorry for the spelling mistake. That Mamooty , Murali and Suparna movie. I love that movie

Quote:

Are these thrillers?
They all are crime thrillers. Poovinu puthiya poonthennal is not exactly a crime thriller but it's a thriller and Babu Antony looks dope

Quote:
Most of his films are underrated like "Ee Kanni Koodi", "Irakal
Irakal was a haunting movie, heard he got inspired by the emergency period and subsequent atrocities that happened. One of the best roles done by Ganesh.

I love KG, Mohan and Padmarajan for their parallel cinemas. Not too art circuit like Adoor and Aravindan.
But Adoor’s “Anantharam” and “Videheyan” are amazing movies

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th March 2024 at 10:45.
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 22:21   #3432
BHPian

Aattam (Malayalam)

The Regional movies thread!-img_4812.jpeg

Synopsis - After a theater group's party, their sole actress is subjected to a crime from one of the men. Stories unravel, suspicions surface and clamor ensues as a meeting is called to reach a consensus.

I am at a loss for words - this is nuanced, layered cinema at its best, with screenplay and writing that takes the fight to global cinema.

The movie is all dialogue and yet there’s none of the exposition that’s the bane of so called investigative thriller movies. The characters are not heroes or villains, just everyday humans in varying shades of grey - reacting and responding to situations like you or I would.

If you like movies that necessitate a cerebral engagement, that seek to provoke and encourage deep contemplation on human nature, this one’s for you.

Streaming on Prime.
Pequod is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 20:30   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Watched 2 Malayalam movies on Prime Video this week:
2) Garudan
A face off between an upright cop (Suresh Gopi) and a Professor (Biju Menon). The way the makers have revealed the climax is superb. Wouldn't want to share any spoilers here, but trust me, the movie is a roller-coaster.
Rating: 4.5/5
Thank you for suggesting this movie, Nikhil Garu. Enjoyed this movie thoroughly and since it had Suresh Gopi as a cop, that was the icing since he tends to excel in such roles.

Thank you to the other members for recommending Anweshippin Kandethum.
Another excellent police procedural where Tovino shines as a cop who needs to redeem himself by solving a cold case in a village where no one wants them there.

Aattam (Malayalam) on Prime with Eng Subs.
Sadly not available audio in other languages.
This is a movie with zero songs, zero bgm but is a straight story with just a dozen + actors. It is the story that hooks you and keeps you engaged.
It does have shades of "Twelve Angry Men" & its Hindi remake "Ek Ruka Hua Faisla" but the writer and director have done a fabulous job by not straying into formulaic story telling, allowing the audience decide for themselves.
Full marks to the entire cast who are mostly unknowns except for Vinay Forrt & Kalabhavan Shajohn

Last edited by Ithaca : 16th March 2024 at 20:31. Reason: Grammar & spacing
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 18:13   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Hanu-man (Telugu)

Streaming: Zee

Touted as a biggest sleeper hit of 2024 and the post release ravings by the media and people as well, I was very curious to see this mythological VFX enriched movie but alas the movie turned out to be a damp squib by my standards atleast. I guess I expected a lot from the movie a la Bahubali but the unknown cast, no film plot and excessive VFX ruined my expectations. The movie does not come as a Super hero genre film. The movie coming around the Ram Mandir inauguration in Ayodhya can be considered as a coincidence (or not). The actor in the titular role does not come with acting histrionics either. One time watch with family maybe.

Can somebody throw some light on the hyphen in the movie title?

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 17th March 2024, 18:39   #3435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Aattam (Malayalam)

Attachment 2583186

Synopsis - After a theater group's party, their sole actress is subjected to a crime from one of the men. Stories unravel, suspicions surface and clamor ensues as a meeting is called to reach a consensus.

Streaming on Prime.
Request people to not add synopsis in the review, like another member has already requested a few posts back. I mostly not read any synopsis before watching a movie and come to this thread to only know about the overall feedback on the making/ story/ acting etc and not to know about the plot.

Please.

Thanks.
KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks