Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 09:19   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Kantara 0/5. Hated the movie, the lewd behavior by the hero towards his mother and other girls being glorified.
We need this kind of critic to review a movie, what you have said is correct. Our new-age Kannada film industry is driven by herd mentality, to be honest, I have not seen a crowd after 2017 that can bring 100Cr plus profit to a producer as claimed by some popular movies in the last 5 years. What Kantara showed was that a movie with a small budget can bring people to the theatres, since the movie industry has its section of unorganized sector, it keeps those people engaged directly or indirectly.
Old 4th December 2022, 17:29   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Kooman (Malayalam) 3/5 - Very good first half and acted well by Asif Ali and Jaffer Idukki. Second half drags was not convincing at all. Climax looked like old Amrish Puri movies. In an attempt to forcefully balance, few unnecessary scenes were added and they looked out of place. Few characters and scenes were incomplete too. Overall a watchable movie.

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th December 2022 at 17:42.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 19:34   #3018
BHPian

Movie: Rorschach

Rating: 4/5

What I liked;

Superb performances. Mammootty kept transitioning from heartbroken, vengeful, creep, mastermind, and various other shades I cannot describe. Bindu Panikker was enthralling when she said her story. Jagadeesh make such a mark with mere screen presence. I have come to love how these 90s stars have toned down and transitioned their act in movies like these. Kottayam Nazeer appears without his godawful toupee and delivers a natural act. The others pitch in perfectly.

Style: To set the narrative the whole story was set in a remote rural place. The decision to use a matte black mustang (in a battered look throughout the movie) worked out really well. It added to the suspiciousness of mammoottys behavior. His rundown house was just about equipped to make it work. The Cinematography was fantastic and BGM worked very well for the movie.

What I liked less;

Pacing: The pacing of the story could have been better to get that absolute kick and one remaining star.

Overall, a very well made film for those who like thrillers.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 07:40   #3019
Distinguished - BHPian

Kooman

The Regional movies thread!-kooman_poster.jpg

A pretty decent thriller from Jeethu Joseph. Build up the suspense like all his other movies and spills it out suddenly right at the end.

Good performances by all the lead actors, pretty good cinematography especially the chase between Asif Ali and the other dude.

But the second half was a drag and the climax was really poor in my opinion. Nevertheless, a pretty decent watch.

Rating - 4/5 (Amazon Prime)

Monster

The Regional movies thread!-c._v1_.jpg

I have a lot to say about this one but not a single one that's good .
Boy oh boy, what a movie! One of the rare Mohan Lal movies that makes it interesting when Mohan Lal is off the screen.

The initial part is where he overacts, couple of adult jokes (which is quite common from the scriptwriter) and then rest is what we have seen in many of previous investigative movies. It had a pretty decent storyline, but spoils it with some terrible acting, couple of ad placements etc.

Should appreciate Mammootty here for the kind of movies he does.

Rating - 2/5 (Hotstar)
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 08:25   #3020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Monster
Rating - 2/5 (Hotstar)
Too generous with the rating
Cute-Mohanlal outclassed Aaraattu with this one! Double-meaning jokes, cliché overload, and a super twist that outdid the absurdity of previous Udaykrishna scripts. I watched the whole movie just for the horror, and see how far they can go. Its sad to see such a great actor giving into these hopeless movies.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th December 2022 at 08:28.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 10:37   #3021
Team-BHP Support

https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/...rce-now-215724

All restrictions are removed for now. The Varaha Roopam song is back on OTT.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 12:07   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Kooman (Malayalam) - 2.5/5

I watched it with a lot of expectations as it is from Jeethu Joseph and the reviews were praising the movie. The first half drags; they tried to bring twists to the second half which is forcefully done and not convincing. The climax was like the old Amrish Puri movie, as it was pointed out above.

Even Anthakshari that claims to be from Jeethu Joseph was not good. 12th Man was ok, seems the latest movies from him do not have the magic of Drishyam/ Memories etc.
Old 5th December 2022, 13:05   #3023
KPR
BANNED

Love today Tamil-
The film is good in bits in 1st half. 2/5. Definitely not recommended to watch with family.
Old 5th December 2022, 13:21   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Monster: Malayalam

Oh my god what an absolute cringe feast!

Mohanlal should just stop acting now. The movie almost looks like it tries hard to keep the balance. In acting ie. you see, no one else acts and so to compensate, Mohanlal overacts. Or is it vice versa. Anyways whatever.

Absolute trash and avoidable.
vibbs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 13:26   #3025
BHPian

Gold : Malayalam

Had the misfortune of watching this in theatre as wife wanted to.
Totally unengaging, loud, weak story, script, casting (all of Prithivaj's and Alphonse's friends are in), what was Nayantara's role. Too many questions but nothing to offer in return.

My rating : 0/5
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 16:45   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Gold : Malayalam

Had the misfortune of watching this in theatre as wife wanted to.
Totally unengaging, loud, weak story, script, casting (all of Prithivaj's and Alphonse's friends are in), what was Nayantara's role. Too many questions but nothing to offer in return.

My rating : 0/5
Alphonse Puthran's movies
Neram - Good - Hit
Premam - Good, I always wondered how it became a big hit outside Kerala.
Gold - Disaster?

Unexpected considering this movie came out after the gap of ~ 7 years
Old 6th December 2022, 13:06   #3027
BHPian

Kooman - Average

This movie, like so many movies that get made in Malayalam, presents an interesting story thread and then the makers don't know what to do with it. 9 out of 10 times, these kind of movies weave a murder mystery into it. The thread of the story is what yow see in the first half. Its just worth a short film and nothing more - So to make it a 150 minute movie they add all the crap you see in the second half. One thing I liked about it is that we finally got a desi version of serial killing. Most serial killer movies are inspired by hollywood but here is one which breaks that mould.

Acting is pathetic as usual from the supporting cast - a common problem with all Jeethu Joseph movies. You curse every moment Renji Panicker comes on screen. But Asif and Baburaj were good. It's a welcome change to see Asif not being portrayed as a loser male after a long time. Baburaj sleepwalks through his role. Jaffer Idukki is also quite good. The rest are forgettable.

Overall the tone of the movie is still a decade or two old. Village tea shop, cliche dialogues, drama-style dialogue delivery. Anyway the movie is not a complete bore and that is saying a lot.
Old 7th December 2022, 11:22   #3028
BHPian

Love today - 3.5/5

Actually liked this money, expected it to be a generic rom-com but it was much more intense than that at various points. It’s really easy to relate to this movie if you are in your 20s in young relationships where you don’t know much about your partner though you think you do. As with Tamil movies in general, there was a hint of misogyny in the movie which is mainly why I wouldn’t score it as high. If you are in your 20s or early 30s, definitely worth a watch.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:30   #3029
BHPian

GOLD - 0/5

Have nothing to comment about as I walked out of the theatre at the interval. Not at all recommended!
VNair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 08:14   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Kumari: Malayalam (Netflix)

Somethings work, most don't.

Things that work.

Camera work is great especially the lighting. Everything is perfect. The indoor scenes are particularly well set to provide the same lighting you expect inside an old tharavad (traditional ancestral houses in Kerala)

Background music is good in places.

Things that don't work

Pretty much everything else. Story seems to be good but was not properly etched out. I don't consider Aiswarya Lakshmi as a particularly good actress. But she was the best of the lot in this movie. Shine Tom Chacko who normally does a decent job has overacted to his heart's content. Everyone else just fill up the numbers.

The demons look cartoonish and while the lighting cleverly tries to mask this, it becomes evident pretty soon.

Watch it only for the brilliant work behind the camera.

Last edited by vibbs : 11th December 2022 at 08:16.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed