Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 23:14   #2881
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=oYK6JU7Nx38

'Varaha Roopam' music sounds strikingly similar (but better) without the excessive treble though. May be the underlying 'ragas' are same, I am no music expert. But to my listening, I found Varaha Roopam to be better composed, even if copied.

Source: Thaikuddam Bridge team claims plagiarism: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkGXZpzy...8-54c4d9af864e
Yep, some of the riffs and tones are very similar. I enjoyed both equally. Thanks for that link.
Old 26th October 2022, 01:17   #2882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=oYK6JU7Nx38

'Varaha Roopam' music sounds strikingly similar (but better) without the excessive treble though. May be the underlying 'ragas' are same, I am no music expert. But to my listening, I found Varaha Roopam to be better composed, even if copied.

Source: Thaikuddam Bridge team claims plagiarism: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkGXZpzy...8-54c4d9af864e
Navarasam song is a gem on its own. Both songs are good on their own and can easily pass off as two songs in a same album. Controversy was ongoing ever since the launch of the movie’s music, so surprising to see them react so late if they strongly felt that it was copied.

Talking about this video, one should see the last scene of the video. It has an uncanny resemblance to a particular scene in the movie!

While browsing the YouTube video of Navarasam, came across few comments which talked about another Kannada movie Vikrant Rona using similar plot as this video! Decided to watch the movie because of that, and have to agree partly with that - it does borrow certain elements from the video. The movie was such a disappointment though. Would give it 1/5.
Old 26th October 2022, 09:07   #2883
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The more important Periya Pazhuvettaraiyar played by Sarath Kumar stares vacant faced for his entire screen presence.
In novel, not only Periya Pazhuvettaraiyar but any male including Adhitha Karikalan (you may see more in 2nd part) who has eye to eye communication with Nandini will become blank before her beauty and charisma as described by Kalki. Mind stops working, words don't come out. So the stare or hapless face is an effect of it. Good observation. That's the reason I said Aishwarya Rai is fitting to T. Sarath Kumar has a good screen time in 2nd part. Let's see.

I had seen Kantara in Tamil dubbed. Excellent movie sending very nice message to land grabbers. The movie is really a need of the hour. 4/5.

Last edited by KPR : 26th October 2022 at 09:09.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:58   #2884
BHPian

Quote:

'Varaha Roopam' music sounds strikingly similar (but better)
True. However it doesn't justify ripping off others work. I hope Kantaara makers settle this dispute amicably. It's a beautiful film which doesn't need this stain of plagiarism.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 20:34   #2885
Distinguished - BHPian

Little late to the party, finally watched Kantara-(Kannada with sub titles). Actually my first Kannada movie in a theater. Not much to say as there has been enough reviews. Whole family loved it and the fantastic ambience and the background score, backed with some great acting and performances in the last part is what makes it stay with you even when you come out of the theater.

I think the movie is into its 4th week and still the show I went was houseful. Fantastic achievement considering in today's times, by the 4th week most movies are out on OTT and are mostly done and dusted.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th October 2022 at 20:36.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 20:56   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
True. However it doesn't justify ripping off others work. I hope Kantaara makers settle this dispute amicably. It's a beautiful film which doesn't need this stain of plagiarism.

Well, here's something sounding alike to both the Kantara as well as Thaikudam bridge songs.

Experts inform that this is due to the carnatic raaga (thodi) used in all the 3 songs.
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 23:33   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Well, here's something sounding alike to both the Kantara as well as Thaikudam bridge songs.
Nah. It's not about the ragas. Varaha roopams' nadaswaram melody is a near copy of the carnatic voilin of navarasam and the hard rock guitar idea as well as its arrangement is a ripoff as well. Just compare the 1st minute of both the songs.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:50   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Ottu (Malayalam) -10/5

Yes, you read it right, minus 10. It is the worst movie I have seen. Overacting by Kunjako, expressionless Aravind Swamy, and a bunch of confused characters including Jackie Shroff. The director has taken a bunch of scenes from Italian mafia-themed movies and grouped them together without any logic. And really I don't understand how a movie based in Mumbai can have everyone speaking Malayalam.
Old 29th October 2022, 03:29   #2889
BHPian

Kantara (4/5)

Gave in to the type and watched it in Tamil, generally liked the movie - the characters are superb, the cinematography is good, pacing is somewhat slow and the BGM could be better. Also, I was told that the last 15 mins would be really good but I didn’t find it outstanding in any way. Somehow didn’t the match the hype around the movie, perhaps I missed some of the cultural aspects that people from that area could related to.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 29th October 2022 at 03:32.
Old 29th October 2022, 09:21   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Better to wait for Malayalam dub version if the plan is to watch in theaters. Prithviraj has taken up doing the Malayalam dub release for it in Kerala and expect him to do a good job with the dubbing activities...
Unfortunately, that isn't the case IMHO. Watched Kantara again, in Malayalam, just to be see if I missed out anything and also to accompany a bunch of local Kerala friends.

Right from the introduction voice over, it was bad. The introduction voice-over usually used to be done by some voice with good bass, depth and rich tone, but here it was like some narration of children's story on Pogo TV.

Hero's voice was okay, but Villain's was voice choice was terrible. One of the highlight of that Villain particularly (Achyuth Kumar) in original movie is his voice. But no justice done to it in Malayalam version. Also, there were multiple slangs being used, which means enough home work not done for Mal dubbing. Overall it was like those olden days dubbed type of film. The essence was missing.

But need to thank the production house in atleast taking effort to take it to Malayalam audience.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 29th October 2022 at 09:23.
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:55   #2891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Right from the introduction voice over, it was bad.....But no justice done to it in Malayalam version. Also, there were multiple slangs being used, which means enough home work not done for Mal dubbing. Overall it was like those olden days dubbed type of film. The essence was missing....But need to thank the production house in atleast taking effort to take it to Malayalam audience.
Had seen Kantara in the first week itself, since I wasn't sure it would remain in theatres in my city. Was wary of seeing a movie in theatre trusting only the subtitles, but boy my subtitle game is still strong (all those decades of watching subtitled movies on TV/PC helped). Went to see Kanthara dubbed Malayalam with my brother last weekend and was mighty disappointed with the dubbing quality. Especially the dubbing of the demigod scene of Naveen Bondel, I almost flinched. It was that bad. Took away the life of that scene. Almost like a token voice-over dub in some documentary interviews. Good that they left the other demigod/ceremonies scene in Kannada, though the subtitle in Malayalam was terrible. Small fonts and not enough time to read.

Usually prefer to see the Tamil dubbed version of Kannada/Telugu movies for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Also, I was told that the last 15 mins would be really good but I didn’t find it outstanding in any way. Somehow didn’t the match the hype around the movie, perhaps I missed some of the cultural aspects that people from that area could related to.
Aah, now I realise the joy of watching a movie early on with no high expectation.
True, maybe people near that area can identify more closely, but I am from the deep south and I still could identify with the rituals. Maybe cause the BGM in the climax reminded me of the annual kavadikettu at my family shrine, where even some of my more urbane/progressive cousins get into a trance.

Personally, I liked the post climax more than the climax. To bring everyone together. Could very well imagine what would have happened if this was a Tamil/Malayalam movie. Insert <The Party, Corporates, corrupt Govt, PC overdose >

Last edited by DicKy : 29th October 2022 at 10:57.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:07   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
May be the underlying 'ragas' are same, I am no music expert. But to my listening, I found Varaha Roopam to be better composed, even if copied.
Respectfully, that doesn't sound right. This song in Navarasam album is based on Kathakali sangeetham. Kathakali sangeetham or even classic music in general aren't appealing to masses always. If one did a genuine copy, and made it appealing to public, that doesn't make it "better" composed. It may be that way to a layman's senses and tastes. It is criminal to plagiarize and in fact I stopped listening to Varaharoopam. And it is not at all about ragam. It is all about arrangement and sequence of the initial 3 minutes or so of Varaharoopam. An independent small band will usually find it difficult to defend such cases. Music band members unlike a movie production house aren't working together always and will lack the financial means and time to fight it out legally. In fact, I learn that the composer didn't even favor releasing this version and it was the call of production team to have this version as part of the final cut.

First news is out - Court stayed exhibiting song as part of the movie. Link below.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...res-ott-169361

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 29th October 2022 at 11:09.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:40   #2893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Respectfully, that doesn't sound right. This song in Navarasam album is based on Kathakali sangeetham.
Which is not very different than Yakshagana Sangeeta, from Tulunadu area. There is simply too many overlap between Tulunadu culture and Kerala culture, being neighboring regions. Even Kalari was common to Tulunadu, although now Kerala fully claims Kalaripayattu. The most advanced form in Kalaripayyatu is called Tulunadan.

Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 14:25   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Respectfully, that doesn't sound right. This song in Navarasam album is based on Kathakali sangeetham. Kathakali sangeetham or even classic music in general aren't appealing to masses always. If one did a genuine copy, and made it appealing to public, that doesn't make it "better" composed. It may be that way to a layman's senses and tastes.
I didn't judge whether they have plagiarized it or not. What I mentioned earlier in my post is how the two music felt to my 'layman' senses.
I do agree that it is quite difficult to create an original work. It is comparatively easier to mock it up and improvise upon it.
Now that the court order is out, I hope the the deserving artists get the justice due.

P.S. legalities aside, I prefer to listen Varaha Roopam over Navarasam. Not that 'Navarasam' is bad but that kind of evokes emotions (true its name) where as Varaha Roopam flow is more pleasing. I can listen to Varaha Roopam while driving but can't do the same with Navarasam due to the 'rush of emotions' in the later.

Last edited by deetee : 29th October 2022 at 14:39.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 20:42   #2895
Team-BHP Support

Found this interesting audio - has all the background music of Kantara in a single video. Actually, it just removes all the dialogues from the trailer and keeps the background music

Quote:
P.S. legalities aside, I prefer to listen Varaha Roopam over Navarasam. Not that 'Navarasam' is bad but that kind of evokes emotions (true its name) where as Varaha Roopam flow is more pleasing. I can listen to Varaha Roopam while driving but can't do the same with Navarasam due to the 'rush of emotions' in the later.
Most people will prefer listening to Varaha Roopam because Navarasam belongs to Heavy Metal sub-genre of rock music. Heavy Metal is not everybody's cup of tea. Meanwhile, Varaha Roopam has elements of classic Rock, which is relatively easier on the ears. Guitars/drums are prominent only in the second half of Varaha Roopam (unlike Navarasam which is an outright heavy metal number).

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th October 2022 at 20:52.
SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks