Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 18:27   #2851
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Karthikeya 2

Streaming: Zee5

Having enjoyed the first installment, I was looking forward a good movie. However wasn't completely happy with the 2nd one. The story wasn't engaging neither gripping considering it being tagged as a thriller. I found the movie a hotchpotch between science and spirituality. The lead actor has been give the shades of Indiana Jones but nowhere even close to it. The lead actress hadn't any role/acting to do.

Rating: 2.5/5
I would rate it a 2 at best. The innocence of Swathi Reddy was not there in Anupama Parameswaran. Her role was also scripted weirdly. Also, unlike the earlier one where it was rationalists trying to explain / come to terms with the supernatural, this, as you rightly said, "a hotchpotch between science and spirituality".

Too enamoured with Da Vinci Code too.

I liked the first movie, this was a huge let down.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:01   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Kantara - 5/5

First time, after the movie finished, sat in the theatre for 5-10 minutes until theatre boys came for cleaning up . Such was the impact, it just stays with you. What a movie and climax! A big applause to the makers of this film.

Do watch in a good theatre if you are planning to watch, to enjoy it to the fullest.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 17th October 2022 at 23:27.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:19   #2853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Do we have a separate thread for east/west/north regional movies? Was wondering what’s happening in Marathi/Bengali/Punjabi/Gujarati etc movie industries. Never saw any mentions in this thread. If someone could point me to the right thread?
No, there is only one thread for all Indian languages, except for Hindi. That is because Hindi thread alone generates twice as much posts than rest of the Indian languages put together.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th October 2022 at 11:12.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 00:00   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was wondering what’s happening in Marathi/Bengali/Punjabi/Gujarati etc movie industries. Never saw any mentions in this thread.
~9 out of 10 movies I watch in theatre and visits theatre at-least once in a week. I have never known of any of these mentioned language film being released at the place where I am located. Sorry, I don’t even know even one film name from those. No offence meant. More than happy to catch up with, if it was available.

Like mentioned in above post, please start doing it yourself, we have all our ears!
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 06:52   #2855
Senior - BHPian

Oru thekkan thallu case : Netflix (Malayalam)

Similar premise as Thallumala. All about fight and revenge and revenge of revenge. But without the hype of course and set it southern Kerala.

I thought it was slightly more watchable than Thallumala maybe because the story telling was more linear.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 10:35   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Do we have a separate thread for east/west/north regional movies? Was wondering what’s happening in Marathi/Bengali/Punjabi/Gujarati etc movie industries. Never saw any mentions in this thread. If someone could point me to the right thread?

Thanks in advance
I have seen other movies mentioned in this thread. South movies do drown out everything else in this thread. Especially Malayalam review numbers where I see every movie is watched and reviewed here

I do watch non South, non Hindi movies and thank OTT for that. The title itself is a bit controversial especially now a days since how Hindi is not a regional language

Please do mention good movies in any language, especially if they are on OTT. Will help a lot. Back in Doordarshan days, used to watch all language movies.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 18th October 2022 at 10:38.
PreludeSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 14:44   #2857
Senior - BHPian

Kantara - 5/5

One of the best Indian movie that i have ever watched. Surely deserves all the accolades the movie is getting. There are some subtle elements which portray the ground realities of certain conflicts. Needs another watch to fully appreciate it.

Some scenes were goosebump moments, particularly the bhoota kola scenes, brought back memories form my childhood days.

There used to be a time when i used to stay away from watching Kannada movies. A good watchable Kannada movie was a rarity. How times have changed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
- Background music of the movie is top class. The songs per se are boring/average. However, the final song hits the ball out for park. It is a fusion of Indian classical music and rock music (lots of guitar/drums)

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=9l67J4SNxUg
Came across this Malayalam original inspiration. Lots of similarities!
SilentEngine is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:37   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Kantara - 5/5

One of the best Indian movie that i have ever watched. Surely deserves all the accolades the movie is getting. There are some subtle elements which portray the ground realities of certain conflicts. Needs another watch to fully appreciate it.

Some scenes were goosebump moments, particularly the bhoota kola scenes, brought back memories form my childhood days.

There used to be a time when i used to stay away from watching Kannada movies. A good watchable Kannada movie was a rarity. How times have changed!

Came across this Malayalam original inspiration. Lots of similarities!
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=oYK6JU7Nx38
In one interview the music director did say it was an inspiration. Although the fusion sound is very old. Mahaganapathim being the old one I have heard from different bands.
Something in Karnataka music makes it very amenable to rock fusion. Maybe its the violin matching the guitars
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:07   #2859
HTC
BHPian

Kantaara - 3.75/5

Happended to catch Kantara movie with firends at Urvasi theater in Bangalore. For those who are not aware of Urvasi theater, this is one of the best single screen theater in Bangalore. Any movie with good reviews or movies which beg to be seen on large screen - I make sure to watch them in this theater. The ground floor silver class is best place to get I-MAX kinda experience without digging a borewell in your pocket (compare rs 800+ at imax and rs 150 here). Anyways, let me come back to Kantara.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Since I have seen a lot of yakshagana shows on TV ( 90's kid, used to watch what ever that was available on DD1 and DD9 channels), have read Kuvempu's 'Kaanoora Subbamma Heggadati' novel and Tejasvi's 'Carvahlo' novel which are rooted in western ghat and coastal cultures, was able to relate and enjoy certain nuances like boar hunting (which is prevalent even now), loading guns (Kovi), Kola and general belief of people on dieties. Many things might be alien to urban people.

This was my first movie of Rishab Shetty. Didn't had any expectations. But he has done a good job. I have seen several rough village people like him who get physical just like that. Felt opening Kambala sequences could have shown better and more using local talent (refering to 8 pack kambala runners). Lot of blink and miss adult comedy dialogues and scenes. He has tried to show the general lives 'as is' instead of taking side of right or wrong. Also, the introductory scene of his father running in circles with fire and disappeaing into forest could have been used at end instead for Rishab's disappearence. That ariel shot would have given goose bumps to viewers at the end and would have had good impact at closure.

Over all nice watch. Glad that hard work and talent is rewarded with great ROI. Last I heard, in 18 days movie with budget of <20 crores has grossed more than 150 crores so far. Good going.

Cheers
HTC

Bonus trivia: As a kid I was facinated by horses and guns ( watching 'Paramvir chakra' episodes on Sundays). At one of my Aunts remote village, they used to hunt boars which invaded crops. In one of the dark rooms with literally no ligths (where it takes 5-10 mins for your eyes to adjust to see anything in the room) - I found a gun (kovi) kept at the wall corner. I had taken it and role played like a soldier. lifted it on my shoulder what not. And kept it back as my aunt came back home. Night I got to know that the gun was loaded and only a small piece of folded paper was kept as insulator between trigger mechanism. Fortunately the paper stayed out at its place during all my antics and here I am writing about it. Phew..
HTC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:34   #2860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Felt opening Kambala sequences could have shown better and more using local talent (refering to 8 pack kambala runners).
Well, Rishab Shetty is a local talent in a way. That Keradi Kambala track (ಕೆರಾಡಿ ಕಂಬಳಗದ್ದೆ) does belong to his maternal family.

He trained for 6 months to reach the level where he would look natural behind the racing buffaloes. Gotta give credit for that. Having a Kambala track owned by the family really helped, I suppose.
Samurai is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 10:13   #2861
BHPian

Interesting think happened while driving and felt like sharing. Was listening to the Varaha song and it was at the end with guitars strumming away. There was also one guitar going wow wow wow wow and its pitch rising and then stabilized. It was an ambulance that was coming behind me
Old 20th October 2022, 10:17   #2862
Team-BHP Support

Raj B Shetty's wikipedia page says he was the choreographer, writer and the director for climax scenes of Kantara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raj_B._Shetty

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot_3.jpg

Looks like the Shetty Bros collaborate on most of their projects.

Apparently, Garuda Gamana Vrishabha Vahana is an excellent movie (starring Raj B Shetty & Rishab Shetty)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda...ishabha_Vahana

I will probably subscribe to Zee5 for a month just to see this movie!

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th October 2022 at 10:19.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:15   #2863
BHPian

A genuine query regarding the folklore and culture - w.r.t premise of Kantara. While the rural folks revere the 'Daivam' as Varaha roopam , why do they hunt wild boars and eat them?
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:18   #2864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
A genuine query regarding the folklore and culture - w.r.t premise of Kantara. While the rural folks revere the 'Daivam' as Varaha roopam , why do they hunt wild boars and eat them?
Refer to the official Team-BHP Bhoota Kola thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...pictorial.html (Bhoota Kola: A pictorial)

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Panjurli the wild boar (Varaha) is the main deity in the movie, it is my family deity too. Same people who worship the wild boar, can be seen hunting the wild boar in the movie. It might sound like a contradiction, but it is not. Wild boars cause the maximum damage to crops, so ancients worshipped the wild board spirit, while killing them to control their population.

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th October 2022 at 13:21.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 14:36   #2865
BHPian

Kantara - 4/5

Watched it finally. Have to agree with all the popularity and ratings this Kannada movie is gaining.
My rating would be 4/5.
Would have preferred a shorter last fight scene, with less violence. Would have rated 4.5/5, if that had been the case.
For anyone planning to watch it, watch it on the silver screen, it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
- Two and half hours is gone in a flash.
- Background music of the movie is top class. The songs per se are boring/average.
Your observations are spot on, especially about background music and songs.
Can't remember when was the last time a Kannada film had this kind of background score.
redCherry is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks