Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 10:31   #2806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
My daughter is 6 years old and its her first movie in a theater, hope she does not get too scared.
Maybe introduce her to it initially (say trailers or other videos/phots) so she's not scared by it in the movie hall. The screams by the lead characters are quite loud - it'd be good to have a few trial rounds at home

Quote:
Though I do not belong to tulunaadu, my place borders it(ಘಟ್ಟದ ಮೇಲೆ). We do follow some spillover cultures of tulunaadu. I believe I am well-versed with different kannada dialects of costal region(do not understand Tulu), anyway it will get tested. I hope I can understand the subtle nuances and have fun.
Wife & MIL (both Tuluva) were quite surprised by the level of detail that was shown as well as the local nuances in script & tone; however they did mention that non-Tulu (rest of KA) folks would be able to get it as the movie makers have made efforts for the same. Wife's family were thrilled that the movie makers didn't get carried away (too much) and were able to blend in in a manner that would be appealing to every kind of viewer, not just the locals.
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:11   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
Booked tickets for family for Kanthara in Sydney. I am going to the theater after more than 7 years. My daughter is 6 years old and its her first movie in a theater, hope she does not get too scared.
Did you check the certification of the movie in Australia and make sure your 6-year old will be admitted in the cinemas to watch this movie?
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:36   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Did you check the certification of the movie in Australia and make sure your 6-year old will be admitted in the cinemas to watch this movie?
I did not check the rating before booking since the portal allowed me to buy a "child ticket". After reading your post I checked the rating, its MA15+, meaning People under 15 years must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian for the duration of the exhibition, all good
Old 9th October 2022, 18:48   #2809
BHPian

If you havent watched Kantaara yet, please do yourself a favour and watch it in the theatres (preferably Kannada + Subtitles). The movie has got an eerily magical feel to it. I think it will make you come out of the hall a bit haunted, a bit mesmerized - and a bit hazy in a nebulous state of mind, almost trance like - by what you just saw, witnessed and experienced... It has some connect at a very raw, basic level that cannot be explained in words.

The mark of a good movie is when it leaves you thinking about it - your mind is racing at a 1000 thoughts per minute, but somehow you feel at peace, with nothing going on in your brain. Confused? Watch it in a theater for the best effect... the sounds.. the colours... the energy... It will leave you dazed for a few hours.
vsathyap is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 19:25   #2810
BHPian

Just watched Kaantaara and it's a superb movie. Agree with all the reviews here that the movie has done real justice to the folk arts as well as superb cinematography. All the characters have done well and more importantly the hero is not over the top like in some movies. The more you know about the Mangalore/Tulu-nadu/coastal Karnataka belt, the more you will relate to this movie.
But even for a complete Bangalorean, the story is quite simple and appealing, but the way it is shown - all credit to the makers to pull of such a fantastic result for a relatively simple story line and keeping the authenticity intact at the same time.
deep_bang is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 21:43   #2811
BHPian

A light hearted, fun filled chat between Anushree and Kanthara team on the making of the film.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 9th October 2022 at 21:44.
AltoLXI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 06:26   #2812
Senior - BHPian

I managed to catch ‘Thiruchitrambalam’. A very lighthearted free flowing movie with a lot of quirky humour. Danush is super as he normally is.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 08:16   #2813
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
PS1 was an ideal recipe for an OTT series, like for example GoT. I’m getting mixed reviews from those who have watched it.
If you are aware or not Rajinikanth's daughter and Dhanush's spouse wanted to make PS as TV series. I feel it is not worth making it as TV series and Maniratnam has finished it as movie for good.
Old 10th October 2022, 18:54   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not in Coastal Karnataka though. It has become bigger and bigger. Now Kantara might make it even more popular.
Time to bump up your 2008 Bhoota Kola thread sir, which was perhaps an intro for me into that world. As a 25 something during my solo trips, I routinely came across shrines dedicated for Panjurli and other deities, but never knew if I would permitted or even right for me to go into those shrines without checking with anyone or taking a local along - so I always went past. One of the places I still remember is "Panjurli Kallunda Kshetra" somewhere between Thirthahalli and Konandur, perhaps around Araga village near the Nadti holey.

Speaking of Kantaara, the film is still going strong after 10 days of release, it was a full house in a multiplex in Whitefield this weekend ( and it's not even a Kannadiga majority location like South Bangalore ). While movies such as "Dweepa" by Kasaravalli touched upon "Nema" etc, the cinematography didn't focus on the Nema bits but more on the flood - so perhaps didn't get the audience more interested on the topic.

For supporters of good Kannada movies like myself, Yograj Bhat, Jayant Kaikini, Rishabh/Raj/Rakshit Shetty have all brought in the sort of local culture driven, watchable content with a depth and that is bringing in the audience to the theaters and making us feel proud ( after only perhaps Dr Raj, GV Iyer, Hunasur Krishnamurthy and Kanagal eras ). Notice how most of the new generation/s names that I listed ( without thinking much ) have all been from the coast ( the list only grows if you include the late Shri Kashinath, Upendra etc)

Also, Samurai sir, while the movie captures the Bhutakola parts and Karavali life accurately and that's what the film will be known for, the other important thread in the film is the hunting bit. Some scenes show the usage of "Maddina Kovi" - where you have to put in the "maddu", compact with a metal rod and then shoot. It takes a while to reload the gun and if the animal is going to attack you before you reload, you are finished ( as seen by Kishore's character preferring his own revolver after a couple of shots from these hunting rifles). It also has the danger of the gun powder exploding from the back side of the gun if you compact too much, so traditionally, you had to place those guns so carefully that even if it did fire backwards, your face was safe. This in fact is reflected in the scene where Kishore's character is shot from his own gun firing backwards when he attempts to fire into air. Hopefully a movie by name "Shikaari" by Rishabh Shetty, focusing on the hunting habits of the karavali/malnad residents of the 1930s/40s/50s (before hunting was banned) and if he borrows from the works of Shri Kedambadi Jattappa Rai and others - he has a ready script already.

And re MalluMowgli's concerns on traditions waning, while I don't know if that's true or not in those parts, every tradition is just as good as it's keepers. Which is why you leading a value-driven life is just half the story; the remaining half is bringing up one's children to recognize and appreciate those. Everything starts from a village and it's residents : cleanliness, to places of worship, to public conduct, to land ownership patterns to rituals and festivals. While I'm not from the region you mention, in my home town and our ancestral village, the fervor only has increased in the recent years and the younger generations are eager to carry on the traditions, more than ever.

Last edited by airguitar : 10th October 2022 at 19:06.
airguitar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:23   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Some scenes show the usage of "Maddina Kovi" - where you have to put in the "maddu", compact with a metal rod and then shoot. It takes a while to reload the gun and if the animal is going to attack you before you reload, you are finished ( as seen by Kishore's character preferring his own revolver after a couple of shots from these hunting rifles). It also has the danger of the gun powder exploding from the back side of the gun if you compact too much, so traditionally, you had to place those guns so carefully that even if it did fire backwards, your face was safe. This in fact is reflected in the scene where Kishore's character is shot from his own gun firing backwards when he attempts to fire into air.
Thanks for explaining. I was clueless how a gun can "backfire". I suppose it works more like a Diwali rocket with gun powder at the rear end. Won't compacting it manually reduce the speed of the bullet?

Last edited by AltoLXI : 10th October 2022 at 19:26.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:26   #2816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I routinely came across shrines dedicated for Panjurli and other deities, but never knew if I would permitted or even right for me to go into those shrines without checking with anyone or taking a local along - so I always went past.
Most such shrines are private temples, not really open to public unless a Kola or Nema is taking place. Even my family has one such temple.

Quote:
Some scenes show the usage of "Maddina Kovi" - where you have to put in the "maddu", compact with a metal rod and then shoot. It takes a while to reload the gun and if the animal is going to attack you before you reload, you are finished ( as seen by Kishore's character preferring his own revolver after a couple of shots from these hunting rifles). It also has the danger of the gun powder exploding from the back side of the gun if you compact too much, so traditionally, you had to place those guns so carefully that even if it did fire backwards, your face was safe. This in fact is reflected in the scene where Kishore's character is shot from his own gun firing backwards.
Yes, my uncle still has a musket inherited from my grandfather, which has not been fired in 40 years. I had discussed it long ago. At first, I was surprised they used muzzle loaders in a movie based in 1990. While I lived in Coorg in the late 70s, practically everyone had switched to breech-loading shot guns. But then Kodavas never needed license to own guns, so they can easily buy better guns legally. But gun licenses are required in other places, and it is very hard to obtain, which means they can't buy a good gun even if they can afford it.

Quote:
Hopefully a movie by name "Shikaari" by Rishabh Shetty, focusing on the hunting habits of the karavali/malnad residents of the mid 20th century (before hunting was banned) and borrowing from the works of Shri Kedambadi Jattappa Rai - he has a ready script already.
Yeah, I read his books in my teen years. Even Kuvempu describes some exciting hunting stories in his Kanooru Heggadithi book.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:38   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Thanks for explaining. I was clueless how a gun can "backfire". I suppose it works more like a Diwali rocket with gun powder at the rear end. Won't compacting it manually reduce the speed of the bullet?
I'm only a half-knowledger myself and only theoretical at that, by speaking to people from the previous generation and reading books from the yore. Let me post the relevant section from Shri Jattappa Rai's book where he explains how his gun fired back once hurting an acquaintance badly (if you understand Kannada) and he goes on to explain how to "compact" it and why it's necessary. Perhaps later today or tomorrow - I will have to rummage for it in my pile of books.

YOu may find the books here : https://www.sapnaonline.com/search?k...jattappa%20rai

For people that prefer English, one of his books is available in English : https://www.amazon.in/Reminiscences-...dp/8123728085/ ( out of stock on Amazon )
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 07:38   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Kantara 4.5/5 (KANNADA)

I'm shaking after watching this class act.

The film depicts Lord Vishnu's third incarnation on Earth called Varaha Avatara. The Tribals in a forest are devoted to this God and consider BhootaKola, a divine dance form, as means to pass on 'God's message' to the people. When a promise made to ancestors are breached, the machinations unravel, leading to a very good plot.

Leading man Rishabh is literally 'FIRE' with a stunning performance. He gets into the skin of his character and the climax is 'goosebumps stuff'. Superb cinematography, stellar performances and some great direction keep you on the edge. Catch this in theatres as the sound adds another dimension to it! Even after you exit, the sound sticks in your mind.

Movie's running to packed houses. Never thought getting tickets would be so tough, even on a Monday morning. But, was worth it!
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:14   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Until few years back, Coastal belt of Karnataka was into everything but movies. You can be a superstar but people of the region would give a damn. Movies would hardly run and probably would be at bottom if one calculate number cinema halls to population ratio. My town has just 1 cinema hall and been ages since I visited. For a change Kanthara was running house full for a week I could not get tickets for next two days. Have never seen cinema hall packed for Morning show!

Thanks to some great movies from RS3(Rishabh,Rakshith,Raj-Shetty), the area has been seeing a drastic change when it comes to movies. Kanthara- showcases the daily life of people around, has good humor, story line and some brilliant performances.

Another movie I watched was "Lucky Man". I like how Darling Krishna surprises without making much hullabaloo. While I am not great fan of his acting, the way movie is scripted, dialogues, simple storyline , and yet has a long lasting effect on you.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:31   #2820
BHPian

The Coastal belt of Dakshina Kannada ( Mangalore - Malpe - Udupi ) came into play just because of Rakshit Shettys Ulidavaru Kandante in 2014 which celebrated the Tulu language, Yakshagana and ofcourse, the famous Tiger Dance. Natives are fiercely protective of their culture and me as a Bengaluru native may not understand why a night long Yakshagana act is interesting, but it is to them! People watch them more regularly than OTT or movies. Bhoota Kola is now in the mainstream and we may expect more of such tradition being shown the Shettys way. Else it was known before as the land of intelligence and behaviour to others. Gangavathi Pranesh puts it very aptly in his inimitable Uttara Kannada bhashe.
100Kmphormore is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks