Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 00:03   #2446
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
KGF-2 : 4 / 5
This ideally should go on the Joke thread but I thought the folks on this thread might appreciate it much better

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot_20220425235248_chrome2.jpg

Source: Instagram (with a few of my edits)
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 09:33   #2447
KPR
BANNED

Taanaakaran - 4/5. Second half last part could've been better. Must watch. A slap at the face for police who still follow age old British customs.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:40   #2448
BHPian

Jumped on the KGF2 bandwagon yesterday. My son was adamant on watching it so went ahead. Won't say it was a total disappointment - would rate is 3/5. And as ninjatalli has mentioned in his post, the thought of KGF2 has been running in my mind since last night. There were flaws here and there - for example the helicopter the hero travels in, the A380 super jumbo shown in a particular scene.

What really made me think was Sanjay Dutt's character and a reference to the Vikings. Refreshing my memory, I did remember the Hollywood movie "The 13th Warrior" (released in 1999) starring Antonio Banderas which shows an Arab joining hands with Norsemen to defeat a particular tribe.

I guess as with most movies, one has to leave logic and common sense when embarking on such movie journeys.
Satish Pari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 22:52   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
..movie may have been a success in terms of business but definitely not in pulling the crowd to theaters for a second time.
Not sure, but it did pull us for a second time. Watched it the second time and a 3rd visit in thoughts too. I guess KGF 2 needs to be watched twice.

During the first visit, we were more focusing on what the story line could be and what the climax is going to be. And in second watch is when we really observed everything else. The vast canvas, terrific back ground score and all other elements and paid little attention to the story as we already got to know that. Even Yash's brilliant acting and mannerisms were observed during second watch.

The back ground score is a gem, each mass scene has got its own theme. Would be surprised if it doesn't fetch the highest award for this year for the BGM. The frequent transition between past, present, violence, emotion, mother affection..etc did the magic.

Forget the logic and whether a heroine was needed or not, it surely is a 3 hour block buster, there is absolutely no doubt it!!
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 08:48   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish Pari View Post
What really made me think was Sanjay Dutt's character and a reference to the Vikings. Refreshing my memory, I did remember the Hollywood movie "The 13th Warrior" (released in 1999) starring Antonio Banderas which shows an Arab joining hands with Norsemen to defeat a particular tribe.
OT trivia.
"13th Warrior" was the cinematic adaptation of the excellent book "Eaters of the Dead" by Crichton.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 22:06   #2451
Distinguished - BHPian

CBI5- The Brain- Mammootty-Malayalam. In theaters today

The man who made the CBI a household name for all Keralites 3 decades back is back with the record 5th installment of the CBI series which started with 'Oru CBI Dairy Kuruppu' in 1988. The role of Seturama Iyer was made iconic by Mammootty and BGM is still the goto one for anything related to Mammootty.

Unfortunately apart from Mammootty reprising the role he first did 34 years back perfectly, the movie itself plays safe by sticking to the same template as before with some supposedly modern elements like hacking etc thrown in. With the audience now used to new age thrillers and procedurals, this would look old fashioned.

A long list of who's who in the cast , but most of them feel miscast. Mammoottys new sidekicks Renji Panikker, Pisharady, Ansiba all just stand around waiting for Iyer to work his magic. Mukesh comes and goes. Saikumar struggles to reprise Satyadas and good actors like Dileesh Pothen, Sudev Nair and santhosh Keezhatoor are wasted.

To be fair, even the earlier parts, especially 3 and 4 were not great investigative thrillers and it was more about seeing Mamootty do his thing.

The movie actually closely resembles another one of his earlier films. Will not mention it here, but folks seeing and putting reviews can notice this.

Rating: 2.5/5. Of which 1 star is to see Mammootty once again ace Iyer and last but not the least , .5 just to see Jagathy back on screen. Although little emotionally manipulative, the sequence with him was been woven in nicely.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st May 2022 at 22:11.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:59   #2452
Distinguished - BHPian

After a gap of 4 years of seeing a movie in theatres, saw KGF 2 and what a movie it is. A must to see the first part before seeing this movie.

Thoroughly made for the masses and it all shows it its success.

Beautifully done movie.

Moving towards the 400Cr mark (Hindi Version) and 1100 Cr. (all languages)

Very happy for Yash, from a humble beginning to realising his dream on screen & off screen (now pan-India)

With Malayalam, Telegu and Tamil being already popular in the national circuit, KGF 2 has catapulted Kannada film Industry to another level.

Humongous task for Prashanth Neel to match KGF 2 success with the upcoming Salaar!

Rating: 4.7/5

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd May 2022 at 10:13.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:29   #2453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
CBI5- The Brain- Mammootty-Malayalam. In theaters today

The man who made the CBI a household name for all Keralites 3 decades back is back with the record 5th installment of the CBI series which started with 'Oru CBI Dairy Kuruppu' in 1988. The role of Seturama Iyer was made iconic by Mammootty and BGM is still the goto one for anything related to Mammootty.
I suppose the main draw card for me to watch this is Mammooty himself, and that background score that just takes you to another level. Can't wait for it to get to the OTT platforms.

"Chacko, note the point!"
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:34   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I suppose the main draw card for me to watch this is Mammooty himself, and that background score that just takes you to another level. Can't wait for it to get to the OTT platforms.

"Chacko, note the point!"
The background music fortunately still remains a highlight. Jakes Bejoy has remastered it nicely. One thing I still cannot understand is the average performance of the cast apart from Mammootty. Malayalam cinema is known for supporting actors who outshine the main leads-who themselves are always good. Even today it is mostly the case, but here, it was something that pulled down the movie.

The fact that the sequence with Jagathy, who is probably like 5% of his normal self, is one of the best in the movie, tells a lot about the rest of the performances.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 13:56   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Saani Kaayidham Tamil 3/5. I was casually going through a 'Tried and Refused' Video review of regional Cinema and this came highly recommended. Our own 'desi Kill Bill' story (with much more gore) put a 'pick axe to my senses', and numbed it. The violence is the hardest I've come across of any avenging angel and I'd advise viewer discretion. Opening sequence itself was unique and a few 'Black & White' visuals adds some 'bite'. Keerrthy Suresh has done a wonderful job and her performance clearly stands out among the movies I've watched this year
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 14:07   #2456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Saani Kaayidham Tamil 3/5. I was casually going through a 'Tried and Refused' Video review of regional Cinema and this came highly recommended. Our own 'desi Kill Bill' story (with much more gore) put a 'pick axe to my senses', and numbed it. The violence is the hardest I've come across of any avenging angel and I'd advise viewer discretion. Opening sequence itself was unique and a few 'Black & White' visuals adds some 'bite'. Keerrthy Suresh has done a wonderful job and her performance clearly stands out among the movies I've watched this year
I saw this movie and my opinion on it is completely different.

Violence and gare makes sense in a lot of movies. But here it is the only thing on offer.

Pointless narrative, absurd screenplay with no sense of timelines.

Keerthi Suresh looks like she is acting in a stage play rather than a movie.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 15:49   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Agree with your points. I have not endorsed the movie. In fact I've warned against the unnecessary gore. The endorsement came from the online reviewer - is what I mentioned. I, however watched the entire flick and the B/W bits were fascinating
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Violence and gore makes sense in a lot of movies. But here it is the only thing on offer. Pointless narrative, absurd screenplay with no sense of timelines
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 05:01   #2458
BHPian

Jana Gana Mana

After coming to Australia 6 years ago, I watched a Malayalam movie in theatre. I would say this is one of the best movie I ever watched. What a story line with twists and turns, very sharp dialogues (not sure how well those dialogues will convey the messages in subtitles), very well executed BGM and top notch performances from all irrespective of their screen.

This is one of the must watch for all movie buffs.

Rating 4/5.
MaxTorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:22   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Raja Raja Chora(Telugu) was a good watch this weekend, no build-ups, a good star cast, and a well-narrated movie.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 14:08   #2460
BHPian

Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal - Tamil

A refreshing movie after Beast & KGF. Vijay Sethupathi as usual, steals the show aided by Nayanthara and Samantha. Would rate in 4/5. Different storyline and very little masala here and there. Nice twist at the end.
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks