Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2022, 10:14   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Super Sharanya -At first we did not have much hope but we ended up sitting through the movie till end. Small cast, simple and hilarious treat for youngsters.
I only caught it in bits and pieces (not really my kind of movie, these coming-of-age ones) - but I thought it was fairly regressive in that it normalises stalking and abuse of teacher-student relationship.
Old 11th April 2022, 10:08   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Watched Kannada movie Ondu Motteya Kathe on Saturday
Man, it was completely worth every penny. the 2 hour movie will have you laughing your heart out for 3/4th of the time and the last 30 mins gives you the message it wants to convey in the right manner.
The lead actor and Director Raj Shetty has done a wonderful job. The Mangalore setting and language, the story and the natural screen-play bowled me over. I loved the casting of the movie; all the characters fit beautifully into the roles-The lead male actor and 3 female lead actors. And the songs are also very nice and blend perfectly with the story.

I'd rate it 4.5/5.
Many folds better than those big-banner star-studded yet hollow movies.
Quoting a 4 year old post.

Saw the movie "Ondu Motteya Kathe" last evening on Amazon Prime with English subtitles (my Kannada dialogues understanding is shaky, at best).

Liked the simple yet touching theme and handling of the subject. Agree with the 4.5/5 rating. Nice to see so many references to Dr Raj Kumar and his movies/songs as well. Overall a well-spent 2 hours on a Sunday evening.
Old 11th April 2022, 10:20   #2403
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post

OT: I've one suggestion to you if you haven't watched it, there's a Tamil movie named Maya (Nayanthara starrer) and it's easily the best horror flick I've watched in the last decade. Do give it a try and I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I have not watched it. Thanks for the tip. Shall be sure to check it out. Saw a few scenes of another Tamil movie "Iruttu", looked promising, might catch up on that as well.
Great to see more horror movie fans here.

Maya is great watch by the way. I also felt it was really good one comparing to the usual indian horror movies. Is Iruttu available on any OTT platform. Will check it out.

Though this is a regional movie thread, just wanted to check if you have tried turkish horror flicks like Siccin. If not give it a try. If not available on OTT, its there on youtube.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:26   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Great to see more horror movie fans here.

Maya is great watch by the way. I also felt it was really good one comparing to the usual indian horror movies. Is Iruttu available on any OTT platform. Will check it out.

Though this is a regional movie thread, just wanted to check if you have tried turkish horror flicks like Siccin. If not give it a try. If not available on OTT, its there on Youtube.

FundaG
Thanks for the tip on Siccin. Should post that on the foreign movies thread.

Iruttu was available on my Vi movies app. Think it's there on sunnxt/jiocinema. Please check.

Movies was ok. Nice location and decent storyline. Horrible acting but

I assumed the movie was directed by Sundar C but no. So that was my ultimate shock at the end when i realized someone had actually gone and asked Sundar C to be the lead hero.
Old 11th April 2022, 11:09   #2405
Distinguished - BHPian

Night Drive-Malayalam-Netflix: Roshan Matthew, Anna Ben, Indrajit

Another thriller mode cinema regarding a set of happenings during one night during a drive that Roshan and Anna take. It is an interesting set up. The main cast and the making is what we relate to as the 'new age malayalam cinema' but the director Vysakh is known for big budget mass entertainers like Pulimurugan and Pokkiriraja.

So what you get is an old school plot packaged into a modern day thriller. The plot is a done to death one and you can pretty much see all the twists and turns coming from a mile away. Even with that, the film is an engaging watch and you don't get bored watching it even though you know what will happen. The cast do a good job, but there is nothing to challenge their acting chops here.

Rating: 3/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th April 2022 at 11:10.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 13:20   #2406
BHPian

Lalitham Sundaram

What a waste of time! Manju Warrier's attempt to launch her failed brother as director fell flat on the face.

There is nothing much in story to be talked about. The premise was okay - a family reunion with some dark past and secrets. All characters assemble at one place and then the writer can't figure out what to do with them. Almost every character in the movie appears fake - especially Manju Warrier. Almost everybody overacted. And Biju Menon was trying hard to underact. The old man was an utter waste as an actor - he is a renowned screenwriter BTW.

And the ending is meh and rushed - as if the director was saying "I can't do this anymore, maybe I should try some other job".
dragonfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 19:03   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Off topic: That last line of your post had me laughing in splits!!

Me and wife watch quite a few Malayalam movies with subs as we cannot understand all the dialogues very well. This movie actually started off a bit ok but as it went on, it just gets downright boring and you can see the actors trying hard to stick with the theme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Lalitham Sundaram

And the ending is meh and rushed - as if the director was saying "I can't do this anymore, maybe I should try some other job".
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 08:24   #2408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lalitham Sundaram

What a waste of time! Manju Warrier's attempt to launch her failed brother as director fell flat on the face.

There is nothing much in story to be talked about. The premise was okay - a family reunion with some dark past and secrets. All characters assemble at one place and then the writer can't figure out what to do with them. Almost every character in the movie appears fake - especially Manju Warrier. Almost everybody overacted. And Biju Menon was trying hard to underact. The old man was an utter waste as an actor - he is a renowned screenwriter BTW.

Totally agree! I made similar remarks on this thread after watching the movie. Infact, my opinion is that the trailer is better than the movie.

Manju Warrier's acting was way over the top!
Hopefully the mutton curry tasted alright.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 09:45   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's the most hilarious statement in the review thread. But, ironically, makes me want to watch the movie

Manju Warrier tends to go over the top without a seasoned director to handle. She also tries to imitate Helen Hunt a lot
Old 12th April 2022, 12:25   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Off topic: That last line of your post had me laughing in splits!!

Me and wife watch quite a few Malayalam movies with subs as we cannot understand all the dialogues very well. This movie actually started off a bit ok but as it went on, it just gets downright boring and you can see the actors trying hard to stick with the theme!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Manju Warrier's acting was way over the top!
Hopefully the mutton curry tasted alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Manju Warrier tends to go over the top without a seasoned director to handle. She also tries to imitate Helen Hunt a lot
Off-topic but...

Manju Warrier's second coming has been a disappointment of sorts so far. She is nowhere near the actress she was when she acted in movies like Kanmadam and Kannezhuthi pottum thottu.

I did curse Dileep a lot when he made her sit at home for a decade and half - for what was the prime of her career. I was naturally thrilled when she made a come back. Now it looks like what is back is not even a shadow of her former self. Don't know whether it is the roles that she is getting or whether the heavy expectations are weighing on her.

I do think that the roles she is getting are very pretentious - so removed from reality but made up just to portray her as a "strong woman". And she is not helping things with her over-the-top portrayals of the characters. I'd like to see her easy, natural acting that won her all the accolades during the beginning of her career.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 22:47   #2411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Night Drive-Malayalam-Netflix: Roshan Matthew, Anna Ben, Indrajit

Another thriller mode cinema regarding a set of happenings during one night during a drive that Roshan and Anna take. It is an interesting set up. The main cast and the making is what we relate to as the 'new age malayalam cinema' but the director Vysakh is known for big budget mass entertainers like Pulimurugan and Pokkiriraja.
Well, I enjoyed the movie to a certain extent and the main reason is the black Ford Ecosport

The story has been repeated in many languages and there is no novelty factor as such but what works is the length of the film. Agree with your rating though. Good watch.
Old 14th April 2022, 11:37   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off-topic but...

Manju Warrier's second coming has been a disappointment of sorts so far. She is nowhere near the actress she was when she acted in movies like Kanmadam and Kannezhuthi pottum thottu.
Correct. All movies (except very few) in her first innings had something to offer and there were gems like Kanmadam and Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu. Others were all above average and none of her roles were a total let down. She is now focusing on her looks and image than the real performance. I did not like any of her movies in her second innings (except may be 'How old are you' because I was happy to see her after a long gap).
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:49   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Big Day for Kannada movie lovers as KGF2 opened to packed houses. I managed to get tickets for today.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 18:29   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I managed to get tickets for today.
I rarely see movies but the amount of buzz and SM marketing bombardment that this movie has done is truly out of this world.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 18:41   #2415
BHPian

Saw KGF-2 today. It’s a very good mass entertainer. The experience of watching it in a theater that is full, with all the whistles etc., certainly adds value.

It’s of course not an artsy movie. Yes there are plot armors, but then the makers aren’t trying to call this as a piece of art.

Go watch it in theaters for the movie going experience.
pandey.jai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks