Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 21:40   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Saw Joji as well as Vellam recently. Both are good works and are definitely worth a watch.
  • Vellam is based on a real businessman named Murali who turned away from Alcohol addiction and became a successful businessman. The movie has Jayasurya putting out a fine performance.
  • Joji was something else. The BGM & music is something that I haven't seen in Indian cinema. Every movie from Dileesh Pothan is brilliant and this completes his third successful directorial venture.

Here is a link for the music work done on Joji.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 22:40   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Irul - 1/5

One disappointing flick. 1 point for hooking me till end to see if there is any substance, but sadly, nil.

Off late, it has become for the film makers to throw in movies in the name "Psycho thriller" and expect it to be instant hit. They have been successful too in doing so. But here comes something which did not have substantial story & script.

Soubin had a hard time trying to fit himself into this character which simply was not his. Couldn't digest him as a writer role he played, neither as a psycho serial killer nor as a romantic hero, the chemistry with the heroine simply was not working.

Terrible flaws in script and I wonder how did they expect the audience to buy it.

Fahadh Fasil, as usual tried his best. I am afraid he would become a psycho in real life after acting in series of such films - Athiran, Kumbalangi nights, Trance, Joji.. . It just comes to him naturally though.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 15th April 2021 at 22:44.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 06:52   #1818
Team-BHP Support

Mandela - Tamil (Netflix)

The Regional movies thread!-untitled.png

I admit I wouldn't have paid much attention to this one, if not for the recommendations on this thread. Thank you!

Easily one of the better picks from the releases in recent times, this one goes to show that an honest story line with good screenplay makes for a great movie experience. As mentioned by the others, this is a story about a village nobody who goes on to become the most sought-after person owing to the game of voting numbers.

Village life in Tamil Nadu along with the various characters all gel together to enact out what can easily be the story of our times, when people are important as a vote, and forgotten once voting is over.

I highly recommend this one to watch, even with subtitles.
benbsb29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 08:00   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
[b]

Fahadh Fasil, as usual tried his best. I am afraid he would become a psycho in real life after acting in series of such films -m
He is dangerously started typecasting. Even in Joji you can see Shammi, Irul etc . Hope he will come out of it
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 08:53   #1820
Distinguished - BHPian

Joji

Like drishyam 2, everybody was talking about this. So watched this with too much expectation. Although it was good, it wasn't great (Maybe because it was very similar to Irakal). But wonderful acting, superb BGM. Heard the team's next movie is pretty dramatic.

Rating - 3.5/5

Mandela

What a movie. This is exactly what happens here. Brilliantly portrayed. Have always loved Yogi Babu's movies and now he has taken this to the next level.

Rating - 5/5

Black Coffee

Don't even bother to watch this. Stopped this after 20 mins. Movies like this spoil the original movie.

Rating - 0/5
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 11:03   #1821
Senior - BHPian

[The Priest - Malayalam, Prime Video]

A lot of rigmarole about parapsychology and "an invisible energy that leaves your body when you die and hangs around to see what happens next". Crappy movie, can't even think of any saving grace. Even the twists were predictable.

You want to watch a spooky movie featuring a child, b/b/s a DVD of The Omen. Give this one a miss.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 11:23   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I managed to catch Priest over the weekend. Loved it. The last weekend was Joji and I absolutely loved it. Fahad, as usual, makes his eyes act more than anything. What an actor!

I’m half way into Mandela and absolutely loving it. Yogi Babu as the choice for this movie is fantastic.

Three great movies and this weekend is worth it.

I’m waiting for the evening, to finish Ajeeb Dastayen as well. Or, should I just spare one for the coming weekend?

And oh, need to watch Vellam too. Wow, I love such weekends.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th April 2021 at 11:49. Reason: Jogi > Joji. :)
Old 18th April 2021, 11:48   #1823
BHPian

Jathi Ratnalu [Telugu, Amazon Prime]

This is a nice feel-good comedy about 3 small town guys coming to Hyderabad to make it good. The story is nothing to write home about, and the movie seems to be a series of gags stitched together, but the actors' impeccable comic timing greatly helps.

I was not aware of the movie's blockbuster status till after I saw the movie. Just saw it because it popped up on Amazon and wanted to watch something light.

In these troubled times, Jathi Ratnalu is the right medicine for a light weekend watch.

4/5.
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:33   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I managed to catch Priest over the weekend. Loved it. The last weekend was Joji and I absolutely loved it.
I’m half way into Mandela and absolutely loving it. Yogi Babu as the choice for this movie is fantastic.
Watched Joji. It was slow and dragging. Took me 5 hours to watch the 2.5 hours movie.
Priest was even worse. Somehow managed 1 hour. Then had to abort.

Will ignore Mandela

Watched Ayyappanum Koshiyum (4th time) and Drishyam 2 (2nd time) to recover from joji and priest.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:43   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Jathi Ratnalu [Telugu, Amazon Prime]In these troubled times, Jathi Ratnalu is the right medicine for a light weekend watch.

4/5.
Heard a lot about this movie. Any possibility of watching this in Hindi? Prime does not have the option so far. It's been praised by all who have watched it.

Cycle (Marathi)

A simple story. Brilliant screenplay, good humour, pleasant locations and exceptional acting. It's a story of a Astrologer who loves his Cycle, gifted by his Grandfather. It gets stolen and how his good deeds make the thieves realise their mistake. Do not miss it.
Attached Images

VWAllstar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 05:13   #1826
Team-BHP Support

THE PRIEST – Malayalam (Amazon Prime)

The Regional movies thread!-priest.jpg

Ingredients: Dark scenes, brooding actors, famous family names, hat and dog for effect, a good child actor, lovely locales

Procedure: Use famous family names and brooding actors and mish mash into an amalgamation of confusion. When convenient, dump the mix and move on to dark scenes, hat and dog. Appreciate dog for brilliant acting and emoting. Hats off.. err.. not the hat used as a prop. We still need that in the movie. Full marks to child actor who does manage to evoke a sense of suspense and fright. If confusion amalgamation ain’t working, use lights and terms like ‘parapsychology’ and rip offs from the Exorcist to tide over the lack of fright waves. Can’t go wrong entirely with those.

End Result: Waste of time, cant believe the hype around this one. There are a lot of memes and jokes around this movie, don’t want to share them here to avoid spoilers.
benbsb29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:16   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Joji - 3.5/5

Another psycho genre from Fahad Fasil. I don't think I can now see Fahad in a sane role any more . Much has been praised on the back ground score.

Here is a video on the BGM recording.

Not sure, how many of you know that the dad role (Panachel Kuttappan) in it is played by none other than Thorappan Bastin of erstwhile block buster Sphadikam.

Priest - 3/5

Looks like there is mixed opinion about this movie. We liked it though. It is slow, but interesting. Not a boring or repetition kind of stuff as such. And in fact loved Mammooty in this role as against some comments that he had no much role to play in this film. You cannot expect him keep doing an Amaram or Vidheyan anymore.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 19th April 2021 at 09:17.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:28   #1828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Heard a lot about this movie. Any possibility of watching this in Hindi? Prime does not have the option so far. It's been praised by all who have watched it.

Cycle (Marathi)

A simple story. Brilliant screenplay, good humour, pleasant locations and exceptional acting. It's a story of a Astrologer who loves his Cycle, gifted by his Grandfather. It gets stolen and how his good deeds make the thieves realise their mistake. Do not miss it.
I have watched Cycle last year and had loved it for its simple storyline and typical line-up of brilliant actors you see in a Marathi cinema.

If you liked cycle, I would strongly recommend Elizabeth Ekadashi (available on Netflix) which is another brilliant movie, again related to bicycle.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th April 2021 at 12:30.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:23   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Watched 2 Telugu movies.

Jathi Rathalu - Prime Video
Not impressed about the story or the comedy. Can be watched if you have time to pass.

Thelavarithe Guruvaram - Aha
Liked the movie story (no major flaws in the story) and the comedy. Comedy by Sathya and Viva Harsha are very nice. Recommended.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 17:10   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If you liked cycle, I would strongly recommend Elizabeth Ekadashi (available on Netflix) which is another brilliant movie, again related to bicycle.
Love Elizabeth Ekadashi and have watched it twice. Like the credit song as well which the three kids have sung themselves. Since you now get the hang of such movies, any other suggestions?
Killa is another epic movie. Such movies make you feel like relocating to Konkan
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks