Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 08:36   #1741
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Drishyam 2 - 3.5/5

Now Kamal Haasan, Ajay Devgn and Ravichandran will. For the respective remakes.
You forgot to mention Victory Venkatesh who acted in the Telugu remake - Drushyam.
Jeethu Joseph has confirmed on his Facebook page that he will be directing the Telugu remake which starts shooting in March. The Hindi remake rights have been bought so we can expect Ajay Devgun in the sequel too.

I wish they had released this movie in the theatres with an OTT release two or three weeks afterwards, it would have done seriously good business.
Old 21st February 2021, 10:36   #1742
Senior - BHPian

I finally found uninterrupted time yesterday evening and watched Dhrishyam2. My family and I simply loved it. Though I did find it a bit slow compared to the first part, it does get interesting post the first hour. Loved it and i might watch it again.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:59   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

Drishyam 2 : 4.5 / 5

I was severely criticized by one and many when I told folks that I had watched the Ajay Devgan (/Hindi) version of Drishyam 1. Never really got around to figuring out why, but now having seen part 2, I now get it.

Except for the un-necessarily over dramatic wife, this is one fine movie with all the players playing their part like on a chessboard. A fantastic #HowDidHeDoIT rather than the general #WhoDoneIT kind of suspenseful movies, you have to give it how even the secondary and even tertiary characters (for example the rumor mongering auto guys) play such a pivotal role.

Every small bit of daily life in a rural town setup has been put to use - be it the drinking+abusing husband or the gossiping-lot-at-the-chetashop, every bit has a part to play in the storyline.

Fantastic watch!
ninjatalli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 11:39   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Very true Ninjatalli. A small village setting is fully brought to life in a very practical manner. Another small, yet significant component is the way the director tries to portray the life and mindset of people who know they have done something wrong. The acting just beautifully compliments this practical problem in the mind/head of those who have committed to something that’s not acceptable to their own principles.

All of those combined with the story that seamlessly transfers you from D-1 to D-2 is thought through beautifully. What I did miss was the police inspector in the local village in D-1 ( was that character name Sahadeva?). I wish they somehow had managed to get him back for part2.
Old 21st February 2021, 12:52   #1745
BHPian

Finally a movie worth recommending and watching after a long time!
Drishyam 2 - an excellent sequel. Probably the best sequel of an Indian film.

Now I've seen many people mentioning here and elsewhere that D2 lacked the thrills of D1, not as good as the prequel, etc. While I kind of agree with them, I also can't help but notice a thematic shift in the movie from D1. The Prequel was solely focused on the cover-up of a crime but this movie focuses on the aftermath. It lays emphasis on the repercussions of Georgekutty's actions. It shows how the family is shattered. It shows how the crime haunts them for the rest of their life. More of an existential exploration compared to the thrills given by the first part.

A sublime Mohanlal and excellent writing towards the end, combined with the execution skills of Jeethu Joseph, the movie ends up being a blockbuster.

I recommend that anyone who hasn't seen the first one yet, please watch the two back to back, you'll be treated with 5 hrs of cinematic excellence.
Babruvahanaaaaa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 14:16   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Love - Malayalam movie.

3/5.

It is worth a watch, great acting by all the cast. Keeps you engaged throughout, and only 1:30 ish runtime.
Old 21st February 2021, 19:38   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Drishyam 2- Watched it earlier this weekend and like many of you have already mentioned, its a very good one. I havent watched the first part, rather I had seen the Tamil version Papanaasam, a movie directed by the same director, but Kamalhassan plays the main lead. So after watching Drishyam 2, I can only say that Mohanlal probably has the earnestness that Kamalhassan lacked. Somehow Kamal had performed for the role and while Mohanlal seems to live that character. Im huge fan of Kamalhassan movies and I think he is one of the best around, but at times he brings too much to a character, which maybe it doesnt need. For example, even in the Tamil remake of the movie A Wednesday, Kamalhassan was probably the wrong choice to perform a role that was originally played by Naseeruddin shah. So some roles are meant to be played by certain people and in the case of Drishaym the role belongs to Mohanlal and no one else.
motorworks is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:10   #1748
Team-BHP Support

Drishyam 2 - Malayalam (Amazon Prime)

I watched this on Friday itself, but held off from posting here. Watched it again over the weekend, which is something I have not done in a very long time! I can see how some say characters just seem to come out of nowhere, but that's not true. If you watch it a second time, you can see how they are woven into the story. It all makes sense.

Drishyam is in a league of its own, but Drishyam 2 is a worthy sequel.

I did find Meena's makeup and overuse of lipstick quite a put off, though.
benbsb29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:58   #1749
BHPian

Dhrishyam 2 - lot said about it in the past threads, here is my two pences.

The first time me and my spouse watched the sequel, the first 30 mins or so, we found it a bit lagging and could also figure out some "expected/upcoming" twists
But understood later when I watched it the second time on the same day (yes, that is what Malayalam movies does to us) for curiosity sake.
It was indeed, the director was showing us the Dhrishyam and he wants us to adapt to.
Kudos to him for that.
Quoting from the NewsMinute :
"Jeethu makes us believe Georgekutty is playing snakes and ladders; we realise in the end that it was chess all along."

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-sequel-143734

There were few characterizations which was far fetched and not needed and was not required in my opinion and some few "risk elements", which the director says us in the climax part of the movie, which is still there. But nevertheless, its still made well in my opinion for a sequel and keeps you glued.
Missed a few characters like Kalabhavan Shajon. Even his guest appearance would have elevated the movie casting.

Didnt see MohanLal but, GeorgeKutty.

For someone who had asked in this thread earlier, whether the first part should be watched in malayalam to watch the sequel, a big YES.
Infact I have restrained myself from watching a lot of Malayalam remakes just because they can never come close to the original and it really kills the original's original experience. Infact, during my college days, watched Manichitrathazhu umpteen number of times in Theatre that I refrained from watching Chandramukhi just because I could not think of digesting Rajinikanth doing MohanLal's role.
hamster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:12   #1750
KPR
BANNED

Drishyam-1 & 2, Maheshinte Prathikaaram, Ayyappanum Koshiyum make me think of relocating permanently to a hill town in KL.
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:48   #1751
Senior - BHPian

So my wife got dragged into the D2 hype and wanted to watch D1. Both of us watched it for 2hrs, switched off TV and went to sleep.

It was such a pain to sit through it. I have not watched Mohanlal's movies all that much other than his old movies [80s-90]. So it was a big disappointment for me to see his dialogue deliveries feel oh so forced.

( Yeah, don't watch too many regional movies )

The teashop owner, Lal's shop assistant, the daughter all felt more honest and natural compared to Lal's character.

The locale was amazing and Rajakkad was beautifully shown.

Needless to say, wifey does not want to watch D2 now and i am relieved
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:28   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
It was such a pain to sit through it. I have not watched Mohanlal's movies all that much other than his old movies [80s-90]. So it was a big disappointment for me to see his dialogue deliveries feel oh so forced.
So I am not the only one who feels this way.

Effortlessness was the hallmark of Mohanlal in his heydays (the mid-80’s to early 90’s, though his ‘fans’ claim he is still the complete actor). The scene with Sukumari at the end of Dasharatham, the scene at the end of the climactic fight in Kireedam, the comic timing in tandem with Innocent or Jagathy or Mukesh in innumerable movies - his entire performance in Drishyam 1/2 cannot hold a candle to how strongly he played those scenes/characters.

In comparison, today he seems tired of the effort in any movie, it’s almost like his facial muscles are not responding the way he intends them to. Sad.
Pequod is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:29   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Drishyam 2 is good for the thrills, but sadly nowhere near the thrills of part 1. Above average watch still. Clever of them to leave the possibility of part 3 open at the end
As I expected

https://www.thequint.com/amp/story/e...nlal-interview
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:51   #1754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Effortlessness was the hallmark of Mohanlal in his heydays (the mid-80’s to early 90’s, though his ‘fans’ claim he is still the complete actor). The scene with Sukumari at the end of Dasharatham, the scene at the end of the climactic fight in Kireedam, the comic timing in tandem with Innocent or Jagathy or Mukesh in innumerable movies - his entire performance in Drishyam 1/2 cannot hold a candle to how strongly he played those scenes/characters.

In comparison, today he seems tired of the effort in any movie, it’s almost like his facial muscles are not responding the way he intends them to. Sad.
I totally agree with you on how effortless Mohanlal was in his earlier movies. If you ask me, the moment Malayalam cinema also fell into the 'fans' and 'stars' categorisation, actors became larger than life. Effortless acting gave way to forced mannerisms to complete the image. Have you seen a video in which Mohanlal is seen cooking fried fish? Way OTT!

However, I believe we can still take hope in the fact that the quality of movies produced is still way ahead at this point in time. Time will tell.

Adding to your list of actors with whom Mohanlal had great comic timing - Srinivasan. Who can forget "Daasa..".
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:36   #1755
Team-BHP Support

Love - 3/5

A 90-minute thriller starring Shine Tom Chacko and Rajisha Vijayan about a troubled married life and some strange turn of events narrated with a twist. Man, I loved the way Shine played the role of the moral police in Ishq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Adding to your list of actors with whom Mohanlal had great comic timing - Srinivasan. Who can forget "Daasa..".
Even referenced in Drishyam 2 by Georgekutty.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks