Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 10:44   #1396
Team-BHP Support

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
Can anyone help me out in providing me a easy and simple recipe to cook chicken, which would be healthy and delicious. I am replacing my protein powder intake and replacing it with 350 grams of chicken every night post my workout. Would love to hear from a master chef here who does the same.
I saw this yesterday and its the perfect one for anyone who wants to eat healthy chicken.

Can barely wait to try this out.

Grill some mushrooms along with the chicken.

Once chicken is ready chop it up. Add it to some cooked barley with coriander, tomatoes and lemon.
Blend the mushrooms and onions from the grill and add them as a sauce to the above.
Add freshly ground pepper before serving.

Last edited by bblost : 7th August 2014 at 10:47.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:36   #1397

Here is something healthy to begin your day with :

BREAKFAST: Scrambled Egg Whites/Cottage Cheese with Spinach
Ingredients:
4 egg whites
3 Tbsp cottage cheese
1 cup chopped spinach
1 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp raw flax seed and sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp roasted almonds, crushed
1 cup salsa,
2 slices multi grain bread
Finely chopped coriander, for garnish
Ground black pepper and oregano, to taste

Method:
Cook egg whites/cottage cheese, spinach, seeds, salt, pepper and oregano in olive oil, stirring till done.
Top up with salsa and garnish with coriander.
Serve with two slices of hot multi grain toast.

TOTAL: 395 calories
Old 7th August 2014, 22:22   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
2 Tbsp raw flax seed and sunflower seeds
I think that whole flax seeds don't really get digested and come out undigested so considering the low probability that one would be able to chew each flaxseed, grinding them would be a better option.

Off-topic: I just read that you'd be consuming about 350 gms of chicken in one go, I hope you know that you'd be getting upwards of 70 gms of protein in one go and your body can adequately and safely process this much protein without putting too much pressure on your kidneys.

Last edited by fine69 : 7th August 2014 at 22:30.
Old 7th August 2014, 22:35   #1399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think that whole flax seeds don't really get digested and come out undigested so considering the low probability that one would be able to chew each flaxseed, grinding them would be a better option.

Off-topic: I just read that you'd be consuming about 350 gms of chicken in one go, I hope you know that you'd be getting upwards of 70 gms of protein in one go and your body can adequately and safely process this much protein without putting too much pressure on your kidneys.
That is correct.

Also flaxseeds are mildly laxative. So be a little careful with the quantity.
Old 11th August 2014, 09:17   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Now this below recipe is a favorite of mine.

Disclaimer : This curry will be little hot and is for people who like to eat spicy vegetarian food. Do not try this if in case allergic to hot stuff.

Green chili sauce

Material: 100 grams of Green chilly, 2-3 onions, 2 inch ginger, 3-4 cloves of garlic, curry leaves little, half a cup of raw groundnut seed, half a bunch of cilantro, ½ cup water, 1 cup of grated coconut, half-cup of oil, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, salt to taste.

Preparation time : 20-25 mins

Method:
Cut the green chillies in half length wise. Add little oil in a pan and heat it. Once oil is hot add the cut green chillies and stir for a minute . Remove the fried chillies and keep it aside. Cut one onion and fry it in the same oil. Saute for 1 minute on take it out. Now take the grated coconut and fry it on a dry pan and put it aside.

Now cut rest of the onions into big pieces. Take these onions along with the fried grated coconut , raw groundnut seed, vinegar, ginger, garlic and salt and finely grind it. It should be like a paste so make sure not to add more water.

Now take a pan and heat it. Add mustard and curry leaves and saute it. Then add the ground paste to the pan and saute it till the raw smell goes. After that add the fried green chillies and onions and saute it for 5 mins in medium flame.

This can be had along with chapati/Roti.
Old 18th August 2014, 13:48   #1401
Team-BHP Support

I finally decided that I want to bake bread.
Picked up a very simple recipe from http://www.breadworld.com/Recipe.aspx?id=235

I used Active Dry Yeast and an equal amount of whole wheat flour and maida.

Learnt a couple of valuable lessons as well.
The texture was perfect but the bread had a mild smell of yeast.
I kept the dough inside my microwave for rising. That might have made it quite warm.
The loaves did not brown on the side. I baked both breads at the same time. I should have put all the dough in just the larger tin. This way the shiny surface and placement would not have been an issue.
Troubleshooting from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/tips/...eshooting.html

Its so easy to bake bread. I loved this experience and am sure will make a few more.

Hot home baked bread smells so wonderful.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20140817_201419816.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20140817_202032927.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20140818_090942967.jpg
Old 18th August 2014, 19:53   #1402
Senior - BHPian

I bake bread regularly, in the oven of our gas cooking range. Here are some images

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-20140629025.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-20140629027.jpg
Old 21st August 2014, 23:08   #1403
Team-BHP Support

^ Those are simply beautiful.

My main chef's knife was going blunt and I did not have the knife sharpener. I decided to try the old Chef's style of using two knives against each other.

I am AMAZED at the sharpness this achieved. I had to cut a water melon today and my knife slid thru it like it was hot butter.

Try this trick if you need and get sharp.
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:05   #1404
Team-BHP Support

I have a very specific query. When we were young, visitors from the far flung villages often used to travel with achaar and roti.
I remember them telling that the rot is made of "some" atta and will last 4-5 days without refridgeration.
It was bajra+ milk I think, but not sure. Do any of you know what flour to use and what other ingredients to use to make rotis which can last a few days without spoiling.
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:28   #1405
Team-BHP Support

I don't know these Roti's but my guess is any roti that did not use oil or diary in its preparation would last for long.

For flavor you can add some cumin, pepper, ajwain etc.
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:59   #1406
Senior - BHPian

I think that roti which has been baked with less water and some ghee will last a long time (like "mathri" and "neemki" which can be made quite soft with ghee and last for ages). It is moisture which accelerates spoiling.
Old 24th August 2014, 09:48   #1407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a very specific query. When we were young, visitors from the far flung villages often used to travel with achaar and roti.
I remember them telling that the rot is made of "some" atta and will last 4-5 days without refridgeration.
It was bajra+ milk I think, but not sure. Do any of you know what flour to use and what other ingredients to use to make rotis which can last a few days without spoiling.
My wife prepared these sweet rotis, called roat in our local language.

If you have to prepare of say 750grams, she puts in 500 grams of wheat flour and another 250 grams of rice flour. 300 grams sugar. Ghee approx 200 grams. Raisins & dates as your taste, coconuts, cashew etc. Mix all up and flatten it as chapati. The mixture has less water compared to normal dough.

Is cooked on light flame with ghee pouring from sides. To flip it, you have to take help of a plate & then turn it as it is quite thick.

If any other query, please do let me know. Tastes wonderful with mango pickle and lasts for more than 10 days.

She doesn't use milk to grind the flour, you can. Depends...

Last edited by Sheel : 24th August 2014 at 09:50.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:21   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Chicken Malai Kabab

Posting something here after a very long time. Made these kababs on Sat for lunch and dinner.

For lunch
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-p1140680.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-p1140684.jpg

For Dinner
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-p1140698.jpg

This is a kabab that children will love since they are not very spicy and has a mild flavor. Made the right way, they will be soft and succulent with the mild flavours of nutmeg, cardamom, cheese and cream. Green chilly paste, pepper powder gives it a bit of spicy bite. I made it in two batches today. Once for lunch and once again for dinner. The above two pictures are from the lunch and the bottom pictures from the dinner.

Ingredients for the first marinade
  • 500 gm boneless chicken pieces cut into bite sized pieces which are not thicker than ½ cm. Use chicken breasts since they are easily available. If you are using breast pieces make sure not to overcook them since they tend to become quite hard and non-moist if you overcook them. By experience you will know how long to cook them.
  • A pinch (¼ teaspoon) of nutmeg powder
  • Salt as per taste
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
  • 1 tbsp of green chilly paste (reduce/increase the quantity depending on how spice you want this to be)
  • 1 tsp of white pepper powder (use black pepper powder if you do not have white pepper powder and also adjust the quantity as per your taste)
Ingredients for the second marinade
  • 1 cup of grated processed white cheese (you can use cubes of Amul processed cheese). You can use any other cheese if you like something else. But use something that has a more or less neutral or mild flavour
  • ¾ cup of fresh thick cream
  • 2 tbsp of corn flour
  • A pinch of green cardamom powder (use the powder of 3-4 green cardamoms)
Method
  • Marinate the chicken pieces using the first marinade for about 20 minutes.
  • After this mix together all the ingredients of the second marinade and marinate the chicken pieces for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator
  • Preheat the oven for 10 min at 200 degree Celsius
  • Put the chicken pieces on to skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 30 min before using them
  • Place the skewers on a greased (use a bit of oil for this) baking tray and bake them for about 15 min at 180 – 200 degree Celsius. Check for the pieces once in a while. Depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces they may get cooked faster or could take more time.
  • You can baste the chicken pieces with the leftover marinade occasionally while you are cooking them.
Serve hot with green coriander/curd chutney and a salad of thinly sliced onions dressed with lime juice.

If you have access to a coal barbecue set, use that and you will get an even better flavor and look with slightly browned or singed edges and it will also cook much faster. While using an oven, you may not get the browned or singed edges and do not keep cooking until you get them since that will overcook the kababs and they will no longer be tender or juicy.

Vegetarians can substitute chicken with mushroom or paneer.

One more picture to tempt you to start cooking.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-p1140688.jpg

I do have a blog where I add our (my wife's and my) recipes once in a while - would not be appropriate to give the link here I suppose. If anyone needs the link, you can PM me.

Last edited by pjbiju : 25th August 2014 at 11:23.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:37   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... It was bajra+ milk I think, but not sure. Do any of you know what flour to use and what other ingredients to use to make rotis which can last a few days without spoiling.
Probably "kuttu ka atta" (buckwheat flour) or Bajre ka atta and / or Besan (gram flour). Just don't use something (e.g. milk or curds) that contains natural bacteria or oils that go rancid very fast.

There are 2 issues to rotis 'spoiling':
1. Drying and cracking. This can be corrected by either making paranthas (plain - no stuffing; conventional oil or ghee fried; keeps for a week at least), or by making the dough a bit softer if one wants dry rotis. Pooris stay fresh the longest, without going dry or cracking

2. Bad packing: Fungus and oil going rancid can be issues if the rotis / paranthas are not packed properly. Tightly roll in wax paper, cling film or alu foil, or pack them tightly in an air-tight box - removing as much air as possible
Old 9th September 2014, 23:43   #1410
Team-BHP Support

A question on Pressure Cookers.

I have found that over time my 10 year old 5 liter Prestige Pressure Cooker has developed a sort of an outward bulge in the bottom part. Its like a cm out and does not sit on any flat surface without wobbling.

Is such a pressure cooker safe to use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks