Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2008, 21:54   #136
Senior - BHPian

hehehe.. hic.. hic.. I know what a hangover can do to typing..
Having said that,I need to mention something. My roomie & very good friend in Ohio,guy called Nandhu, is a very good cook. We used to have a superb time trying out all sorts of stuff,and ringing up a meal (5-6 items) for about 30 people who'd gate crash at our apt really wasn't a big deal.
We'd sometimes have a 'daaru' session starting at 2pm,going all the way until 11pm [ yeah..the good old days of grad school]. When this guy would get 'high' after all the booze, anything he made became 10 times more spicy than regular levels. Once he made some chicken tikka at 1am,and it was so spicy none of us could go past a piece or two of the chicken. And that was after gallons of whiskey,all downed on a cold winter's night.
Old 23rd January 2008, 23:21   #137
Senior - BHPian

ah! good old days of unltd daaru!

thanks for the heads up on the cheese omlette.. i thought i had to cook the omlette first and then grate cheese on top of it, fold it in half, and then turn it over!
Old 24th January 2008, 01:56   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
ah! good old days of unltd daaru!

thanks for the heads up on the cheese omlette.. i thought i had to cook the omlette first and then grate cheese on top of it, fold it in half, and then turn it over!
Doing that will not give you a good taste of the cheese. All you need to do is melt the cheese,so its best to mix it in with the eggs. Even if you end up burning the outsides a bit,the inside portion of the omlette will taste good with the melted cheese.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:50   #139
BANNED

love cooking actually can make barbecue's ,steaks(not that well need to perfect it though) ..even indian dishes like chicken curry,biriyani(^_^) and the good ol sambar.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:01   #140
BHPian

Guys keep the omelette/pasta/maggi recipes flowing. These are ingredients easily available in the market and a layman can cook them without too much hassle.

I actually cook Maggi and mix it with cooked tomato/onion puree mixed with maggi pasta paste, red chilli powder, boiled peas/carrots and sprinkled heavily with oregano. A simple recipe but wholesome for dinner/lunch.
Old 5th February 2009, 02:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Got over my kitchen phobia after coming to the US. Survival instincts have this ability of bringing the best in us. From a guy who could only make omlettes to save his life, I have become a half-decent cook, can cook veg items like Mushroom Masala, Mixed veg, Broccoli, Sambar, Dal tadka, Veg Stew, Egg Burji - also Fish fry and Chicken !! Need to try Prawns next.

Only cook when I am in the mood though - else Taco Bell to the rescue !!
Old 5th February 2009, 03:48   #142
BHPian

The ultimate art of cooking a great omlette is that it has to be atleast 2 inches thick, the cheese should run out when one cuts the middle part of the omlette and it should be folded. !

cheers
M M
Old 5th February 2009, 04:35   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Got over my kitchen phobia after coming to the US. Survival instincts have this ability of bringing the best in us. From a guy who could only make omlettes to save his life, I have become a half-decent cook, can cook veg items like Mushroom Masala, Mixed veg, Broccoli, Sambar, Dal tadka, Veg Stew, Egg Burji - also Fish fry and Chicken !! Need to try Prawns next.

Only cook when I am in the mood though - else Taco Bell to the rescue !!
Cooking is actually much easier here in the US. With meat available cleaned and ready to go, prep time reduces greatly.
And if you enjoy a drink ( or 2 or more..), good music definitely compliments the joy of cooking!
Old 5th February 2009, 08:51   #144
Senior - BHPian

I didnt 4 months back but after having lived in London for that time now I know and I know it too well I am a vegeterian.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:04   #145
Senior - BHPian

Doing my HM from IHM Chandigarh so i do cooking everyday

i always wanted to be a cook
Old 5th February 2009, 09:38   #146
BHPian

Lots of hot and steamy and broiled and sauteed action here, I see. Great. LOVE food and anything that goes with it, so it's a pleasure to read the recipies (and banter). At least there's a vicarious joy in it for me, if nothing else.

Fact is I 'lost' the plot ages ago. Now, 'I'll be back'!

What I'd really like is a recipe for North Indian mutton curry: the genuine article. Anyone?
Old 5th February 2009, 09:42   #147
BHPian

After moving into Bangalore, i was very much forced to learn to cook. Over a period of two years i have kind of mastered on few dishes but the learning still continues ....and not to mention its great time pass & fun !!
Old 5th February 2009, 11:47   #148
BHPian

I love cooking.. Its my favourite .. Many a times i cook for my family (live in a joint family) and also when i go to the relatives place.

list of items i have cooked
Veg Items

1. Veg Palauo
2. Kesari bath (sweet upma), Upma (uppittu)
3. Masala dosa (including preparing batter, chutteny, mashed potato)
4. Lemon rice
5. Pumpkin sambar, yellow dal, rasam, raddish sambar
6. Chilli bajji, onion bajji, onion pakoda, finger chips
7. Bread, plain Cake, chocolate cake,
8. uddin vada
9. chapati, stuffed parota
10. rice
Non-veg
---------
1. Chicken biriyani (andhra style)
2. fish fry, fish curry (kerala style)
3. chicken curry, chillichicken
4. Mutton curry,
5. chuilli Prawns
6. Omlette, egg burgi, egg masala
Old 5th February 2009, 12:47   #149
BHPian

drive and cooking are pretty much common hobies going hand in glove in most of the folks.

well my style doing a proper hyd dum biryani with some katta on side and couple of feathers i have in barbeque .

shrimp, fish, lamb
chicken , here is my recent tryout for guys who love barbeque.
Chicken grill on skewers (it’s actually modified from teriyaki chicken)
1 kg boneless chicken strips /// preferable breast peaces ///
¼ cup teriyaki sause /// nilgiris ///
1 tbsp oil /// peanut oil///
1 teaspoon grated green ginger ( very fine) /// any ginger is fine ///
2 cloves garlic fine crushed
2 tbsp sherry or port wine /// chicken stock///
2 tbsp honey
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon five spice powder/// crushed red chillies,cinnamon,cardamom,salt,clove///
1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted/// cashewnuts,peanuts,sesame seeds finely chopped///
Prep: all the above except sesame seeds mix thoroughly and marinate the chicken preferable for overnight and barbeque them use the marinade to moist the barbeque and then sprinkle the sesame seeds at the end.
All in /// is my modifications
Enjoy your barbeque
Old 5th February 2009, 16:42   #150
Senior - BHPian

Had my first lessons of cooking from my mom around when i was in 10th,Now can cook a lot of stuff Indian,Chinese and Continental....though not many desserts apart from few cakes,Custards n Halwa's.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks