Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2024, 13:06   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Amar Singh Chamkila

Streaming: Netflix

I am surprised why this movie was not released in theatres, it could have been a major success for the year. The movie belongs to Imtiaz Ali and Diljit Dosanjh. Super direction and even more super acting. Parineeti Chopra ably supported in her character. The movie has color and B&W scenes of the original singer + wife and the leading pair which helps audience identify the mannerisms of the singer. Diljit perfected in the role of Chamkila to the spirit and legacy of the singer. Music by the maestro A R Rahman adds additional stars to the movie. Must watch and highly recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 20:33   #4592
BHPian

Laapataa Ladies (Comedy) - Watched it on Netflix, it's a light hearted movie about women empowerment. This movie is produced by Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao is the director! The actors are mostly newcomers while Ravi Kishan as the paan chewing police inspector is fun to watch. The story is not realistic but the movie is entertaining and music is superb. I would rate it 4/5.
CarNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 10:02   #4593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Laapataa Ladies (Comedy) - Watched it on Netflix, it's a light hearted movie about women empowerment. This movie is produced by Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao is the director! The actors are mostly newcomers while Ravi Kishan as the paan chewing police inspector is fun to watch. The story is not realistic but the movie is entertaining and music is superb. I would rate it 4/5.
Totally agree with the review and the ratings. I enjoyed the movie. The rural setting and the blind belief in age old rituals is a big attraction. Ravi Kishan shines with his cop mannerisms. A must watch in the eras of Karan Johars, Siddharath Anands etc.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 13:10   #4594

Watched Maidaan yesterday at PVR with the family and they loved it. The theater was packed probably due to the voting holiday in Bengaluru and also the positive word of mouth going around for it.

Coming to the movie, its well-made, great progress from a slightly slow first half to a relatively quicker paced second half. It covers a long period of almost 10 years but one doesn't feel the movie is rushed and the second half got the whole crowd alive in the theater, cheering at every moment. This is a recommended watch for the theater experience

There are a few moments here and there when one feels the emotions are over the top and excluding them may have reduced the runtime without affecting the story but in summary, this was a refreshing drama on real events of our football history. The end credits, historical footage are worth a mention as well.

Rating - 8.5/10
cheeku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 19:24   #4595
BHPian

Bade Miyan Chote Miyan

Rating: -10 / 10

I would have been disappointed if I wasn't expecting it to be bad. Right from the trailers, leading up to the social media 'promotions' of the movie and the songs, this had disaster written all over it. Wanted to see it because I missed the opportunity of watching one of the earlier great disasters 'Ganpat' in theatres and now it's not on any OTT with no signs of it coming anytime soon.

So what is the story? Doesn't matter. Some mish-mash of various 'cool' thoughts, held together by random 'action' sequences where the CG is so bad you wonder has anyone in the entire unit that made this ever had ANY experience of watching any explosives or anything that obeys laws of physics? Portions of sequences are good for you to play a game of 'which movie is this lifted from' if you're going with friends. I made a killing when I pointed out 'Assassins Creed' as an inspiration for a sequence instead of a movie!

The point of a movie like this is to sell the ridiculousness of it all, like the Fast and Furious series is now full on bonkers, makes no sense (they even took a car into space!) but they put some random 'science' to it and then sell it. Even Rohit Shetty's best stuff has its heart in the right place or then covers it up with humour. But here they are trying to do it seriously and using 'science' which actually doesn't science!! No spoilers but the villain's back story and his plot is so out there, you have to see it to believe it.

Akshay Kumar looks like he's doing the makers a favour by being in the movie. Tiger Shroff looks like he's doing all of us a favour by being in this movie. They walk in slow-motion for half the movie - if only they didn't have those 'hero entry' moments the movie would have been an hour shorter! Their chemistry is SO bad you really miss the old 'Bade Miyan Chote Miyan' and how Govinda and Amitabh could even sell a bad rip-off of 'Bad Boys' back in the day. The fact that I'm not even talking about the female leads tells you how they were treated in the movie.

Insipid and half-hearted, zero for even effort. I just wish it was 'so bad it was good'. Sigh. But then I asked for it

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th May 2024 at 09:04. Reason: Making the negative (-10) bold to avoid confusion :)
Evyas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 22:26   #4596
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely loved the movie. Brilliant performances and engrossing all the same. The subtle references to women empowerment is so endearing. A must watch.

5/5 for me. That's what cinema is for.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 23:06   #4597
Distinguished - BHPian

Laapata Ladies
OTT : Netflix
5/5

This is one of the best movies that I saw in a long time. I’m not sure if anyone noticed, this movie is made entirely in a “positive” note and what I mean by that is, not a single character shown on screen has negative intention or thinks ill of other characters in entire movie. This possibly could be the first time I got such a feeling. Everyone in the movie is a nice person (no foul mouthed mother-in-law, no arrogant father in law, Villian or ill intentioned corrupt cop…etc)

Such a simple story of newly wed brides getting swapped and how they discover themselves and their own strengths is a revelation. The movie will gel very well with North Indian folks who may have had a little brush of rural settings in their life.

They showed the rural lifestyle of the north to the “T” and simple things like people listening on “radios” and that quintessential tune of “Doordarshan” makes you feel nostalgic and heightens the originality. And, considering the phone shown in movie makes me assume that this movie is set at least a decade ago.

I just cannot praise the background music and songs enough as the music and songs become part of the movie unlike the mandatory songs that is thrust in-between scenes for the heck of it.

With regards to performance, I just don’t know where to start. Every person on screen were chosen perfectly and acted tremendously. However, this film belongs to Ravi Kishen who is the soul of the movie. I think this would be his best performance till date and followed by the Jamtara star “Sparsh Shrivatsav” who acted superbly. The ladies were so young and acted really well for their age.

Overall, this is a heart warming, soul stirring and tear inducing movie that deserves all the accolades it can garner.

Kudos to Kiran Rao and Aamir Khan for putting this together. I read somewhere, Aamir Khan wanted to play the role of Ravi Kishen and later thought Ravi would do it better and dropped out- Damn glad he took that decision.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th April 2024 at 23:10.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 10:46   #4598
BHPian

Since Laapataa Ladies is buzzing, here's a video of Aamir Khan and cast talking about the movie. You will be surprised to see the actors are much younger than they appear on screen:
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 23:31   #4599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since Laapataa Ladies is buzzing, here's a video of Aamir Khan and cast talking about the movie. You will be surprised to see the actors are much younger than they appear on screen:
We too saw this yesterday as it pops in the feed. Aamir Khan says what I mentioned in my review that he auditioned for role and dropped out to give Ravi the chance. Totally a great decision.

The main heroine is just 17 years old and the way she spoke in this interview is someone with a good head on her shoulders.

These days kids are growing mature and smarter at much younger age than when we grew up.

Overall, a lovely interview.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 08:49   #4600
Team-BHP Support

A +1 on all the glowing reviews for Laapata Ladies.

What a delightful film. A breath of fresh air amidst all the garbage that Bollywood tends to dish out. What makes the movie so lovely is the absolute lack of unnecessary sensationalism. Stellar acting from the young cast.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 11:37   #4601
Senior - BHPian

Article 370 on Netflix

What a wonderful movie this. All characters were superb and the complexity behind abrogation of the said article was articulated pretty nicely. As mango people we don’t even get to know a lot of these complexities which law makers have to go through. Hope we get more such movies.

Rating: A solid 5/5

Dunki on Netflix

And this one is polar opposite. I mean it’s unbelievable to see the guys who did classics like 3 idiots, Swades etc are making this kind of movie. Absolutely horrible . Only reason I watched(completed in 3 instalments) is because I read some articles which said this is not like Jawan/Pathan(hated those as well) and hence didn’t become a box-office blockbuster. But after watching I can see it deserved to be a flop.

Rating: 1/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th April 2024 at 11:38.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:45   #4602
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Laapata Ladies on Netflix.

One word - BEAUTIFUL. A must watch.

I regret not watching this in the theatres.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 11:10   #4603
Senior - BHPian

Shaitaan

The film did not appeal to me a bit as the story is not gripping, none of scenes gave you scares in the seat. Whatever the story was, few actors did justice to the role like Madhavan in the title role though he hams in a few scenes badly. The new face Janki Bodiwala in the character of Janhvi does justice to the role, a potential talent. Ajay Devgan and Jyothika were miscast I must say, they overact. This film does not belong to supernatural or thriller genre and neither in horror. The BGM was in my opinion another big let down. One can watch this borefest if no other better choice available.

Rating: 1.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 14:24   #4604
Senior - BHPian

Lapata Ladies on Netflix

After the recommendations here, watched it. Nice light watch. Whole family loved it. Clean movie for those weekend family movie nights

Rating: 4/5

Chamkila on Netflix

Another movie which is garnering rave reviews all over. Started it but guess musicals aren’t really my thing. Got bored in 15-20 minutes. Couldn’t watch any further.

Rating: Can’t rate as I didn’t finish

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th May 2024 at 14:26.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 23:04   #4605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Shaitaan

Rating: 1.5/5
We too started watching this on Friday and stopped in 30 minutes. As you rightly said, Ajay and Jyothika were a total miscast for this movie.

Hindi horror has never taken off in the real sense except a few amazing movies like Darna Mana Hai, 1920, Raat and Kahn (one of the best suspense movie ever made in Bollywood).

I'm forced to watch Madhavan as his brother is a good friend and he keeps pushing us to watch his movies. ....I like him as an actor but, he too didn't impress me here.

Rating : 1/5 (Avoidable)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks