Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2024, 13:35   #4501
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This same to you, same to you stuff is so kiddish that it really makes me ponder that some of us are so fascinated by the protagonist's mindset of the movie in question, that they are not even ready to hear any viewpoint to the contrary. I will end this debate from my side with the view of each to his own...

Cheers...
Actually if you scroll back you can see my review of this movie and how I found it completely childish and stupid.

However, it is not upto you or me to decide what kind of movies can be made and who should be allowed to watch them.

That is the freedom of expression for the director and the audience.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 15:21   #4502
Distinguished - BHPian

Hanuman (Hind Dub)

Took mom dad to theatre yesterday to watch Hanuman. It's a well made movie and a good one time watch. What stands out is some of the CGI, they have done a very good job, and some of it they have totally nailed it. Dad usually sleeps off in movies but he is an avid hanuman fan(reason I took him), this was a late night show and the fact that he saw all of it without sleeping is a good testament of the movie.

Last 5 mins of movie is pure goose bumps, director has absolutely nailed it and it hits you at another level when you listen to hanuman chalisa on big screen and with an amazing sounding speakers. Music director has done a wonderful job with few songs and specially the last part. Hopefully part 2 (Jai Hanuman) lives upto these same standards or surpass it.
AtheK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 15:44   #4503
Distinguished - BHPian

Animal Netflix

Enough has been said already in the forum about the movie. I actually saw the movie in fast forward mode and only pausing to hear the songs. The music is brilliant and that’s the only good thing about the movie. A total brain fade movie and without any justification and logic whatsoever. That the movie is a hit is little bothersome and yet, worse movies have been hits as well.

Problem is, the movie encourages many things which are plain wrong and yet are shown to be cool since they were shown as character traits just like what was shown in Kabir Singh as well. And even bigger problem- there is a possibility of a sequel which promises to be even more shocking !

Rating- 1.5/5 for the music only and Ranbir for his acting may be.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 18:06   #4504

Animal: I hated the movie. (Kabir Singh)^4

"If you look beyond the violence, it has a deep meaning" - quote from my wife. Ranbir has acted well, though.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st February 2024 at 19:31. Reason: Non-forum emoticons
jasraj_jog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 21:46   #4505
Senior - BHPian

I watched Animal over two days and cant make up my mind frankly. The violence is gratuitous, but if you keep that aside, the film cleverly straddles the path that the (pro?)tagonist lays for himself, by providing the justifications for his acts. Judging the film with a moral lens is meaningless because there aren't any morals. The only voice of consciousness to some extent is the character's father who is ironically in a way, responsible for making the Animal out of the son. Had they reduced the gore, the shock value would have been lost, but it would have potentially been a fascinating exploration. Also I wish Bobby Deol's mute character could have been expanded beyond his ruthlessness. He takes that particular quotient up a few notches, but sadly remains short of potential.

PS: the first Indian movie that made me shudder a bit back in the days with its excessive and at times, gory picturization was the ultra cult classic Sholay, which featured a chilling scene of violence against children, albeit so subtly. The creaking of the rusty swing in the afternoon breeze is such an iconic accompaniment to the horror. Even Animal cannot match that.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st February 2024 at 21:55.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 22:50   #4506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Animal

One of the most retarded and chauvinistic films I have seen in recent times. If this is an example of how some in the current generation think and act, which I am sure most don't, then I really pray for souls like these. And the mindset and excuses the protagonist gives for his behavior, should land him in a mental asylum in any systematic society. And that such a movie is a roaring success, is really troubling.
I think this is the best review of this movie on this thread. Simple and to-the-point and I'm with you word to word.

You were nice in saying he should be in mental asylum. Better to not have a son than one like him.

Like everyone here, I watched it on Netflix. And, if there are ratings that are below 0, it deserves that.

Cinematic freedom aside, this is absolute trash in the name of film making.

-1/5

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd February 2024 at 17:25. Reason: Toned down
mobike008 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 00:34   #4507
PZK

I have a clear framework about movies: If I would rewatch a movie when its on TV, it means its a good movie. Otherwise, its forgettable.

Animal fails the rewatch test for me.
PZK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:20   #4508
BHPian

Fighter : 2/5

Pros :
- Great VFX for an Indian movie, we’ve come a long way
- Hrithik is drool worthy
- So is Deepika

Cons :
- force fed hyper nationalism made few scenes too cringy
- few dialogues felt out of place because of this
- Physics/ logics goes for a toss in the climax for the need of Hrithik to be in the closing shots
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:20   #4509
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In the midst of modern dramas, built-for-streaming movies, buffed-up heroes & heroines & special effects, is anyone up for classic cinema?

For a change, we started watching "Abhimaan" last night and are loving it. From a different era, the story of a successful singer who marries a talented but unknown singer, supports her career and she ends up more popular than him! The ego & relationship dynamics are amazingly portrayed.

On Prime Video as well as YouTube (free)
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:47   #4510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the midst of modern dramas, built-for-streaming movies, buffed-up heroes & heroines & special effects, is anyone up for classic cinema?

For a change, we started watching "Abhimaan" last night and are loving it. From a different era, the story of a successful singer who marries a talented but unknown singer, supports her career and she ends up more popular than him! The ego & relationship dynamics are amazingly portrayed.
Watched this quite a few years ago. Amazing movie, great songs. Movie was released in 1973; just after Amitabh and Jaya got actually married. It is said that Jaya took a break from movies after marriage fearing a real life repeat of Abhimaan.

There were a lot of movies in 1970s which were gems- one of the best decades of film-making. Give movies like Chupke-Chupke (absolute crazy comedy), Choti Si Baat (under-rated gem), RajiniGandha, and many many more movies esp by Hrishikesh Mukherjee a watch for some healthy family entertaiment.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:57   #4511
Senior - BHPian

Although I have not seen Animal, a question that came to my mind after reading all the posts on Animal? Will we be as critical of other movies/songs that are normalizing drinking, foul language, casual relations? Or is that normal/acceptable behavioral depiction?
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:41   #4512
BHPian

Fighter
Rating: 2/5

A mediocre film with mediocre dialogues and plot line.
Hrithik is 50 and was trying to pass off as a 35 something Squadron Leader.
Anil Kapoor is ~70 and was trying to pass off as a 40 something Group Captain.

This flaw aside, what's with the frozen and stoical expressions. Every single leading character was insufferable.

Inspiration from top gun was obvious but why was the Air Dragons group formed at all?
Meh.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:35   #4513
BHPian

I watched Animal recently and thanked my stars that I did not waste money on this in the theatre. I could enjoy the first 20-30 minutes, but then lost connection with it and continued only to watch for Ranbir who is out of the world great in this. Great to have the fast-forward button options.

One thing I could agree with is what Ranbir said in many interviews -- He said he is not endorsing but trying to tell the world that such people exist and almost always get away with this. Maybe such films might bring more awareness to society and get the conversation more flowing openly.

It all depends eventually on what society takes out from the film.

2 films come to my mind.

The first one is Rang De Basanti -- 2 actions that were seldom seen in mainstream masala movies till then. One was the candle-light protest and the other was 5-6 normal individuals without having any contacts taking out a big politician. Post the release, I think society has emulated the candlelight walk/protest etc but we never heard of ordinary guys taking up arms and saying that they were inspired by the movie.

The second one is one of the most famous movies of the decade -- Drishyam. Post the release, many murders happened in the same style but people forgot that the movie was riddled with loopholes. One senior police guy went on to say that thanks to the director, their murder conviction/solving rates have gone up due to people trying to emulate Drishyam and failing miserably. When a reporter asked if does it not increase murder in society, he replied that people with murderous intentions always end up doing it and police or society can't stop it but solving it successfully needs lots of hard work and this movie made it easier for police to do their part.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:58   #4514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
The second one is one of the most famous movies of the decade -- Drishyam. Post the release, many murders happened in the same style but people forgot that the movie was riddled with loopholes. One senior police guy went on to say that thanks to the director, their murder conviction/solving rates have gone up due to people trying to emulate Drishyam and failing miserably. When a reporter asked if does it not increase murder in society, he replied that people with murderous intentions always end up doing it and police or society can't stop it but solving it successfully needs lots of hard work and this movie made it easier for police to do their part.
Dhrishyam was one of the greatest whodunit movies from the India stable. Ofcourse, it was not full proof but, what a storyline and execution. Simply excellent.

Well, I hear that there are criminals who follow movie line scripting to execute crimes but, never see them in reality.

Any links of those murders which police claim to be in style of this movie plot?
Old 5th February 2024, 16:54   #4515
BHPian

Late to the party - watched '12th Fail' and rate it a very solid 4.5/5

Among the better movies I've watched in a while. The performances by the cast are pitch perfect - with Vikrant Massey leading the way and supported very well by the rest of the cast - particularly the friends, father and the female protagonist.

The fact this is based on a true story (cinematic license aside) makes it a must-watch for the cinema buff (not massy entertainer kinds)

And I agree with an earlier post on the forum - the Mains interview scene could've been more dramatic.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks