Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2024, 22:15   #4486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Animal: 0/5

There's a scene where Rashmika is questioning the logic of Ranbir's argument and the frustration is crystal clear on her face with his banging logic.

That was the view on my face through out the movie. Logic literally goes out of the window. Not even a trace of it. With action scenes influenced from Old Boy (Korean), Vikram (Tamil) and probably other movies, the fight scenes are an overload. Waste of my 3+ hours - I'm thankful I didn't end up spending money in a movie hall for this crap.
ninjatalli is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 12:48   #4487
Team-BHP Support

Animal.

I waited for the movie to come on Netflix. I think its a brilliant movie. Everything is top notch, from direction, action, acting, story, screenplay, music.

Its based on the thoughts that come to most teenagers in the middle of a sleepless night.

Step back in time.
You are a 15 year old. Everyone around you is bigger and stronger. Girls your age think you are a loser, your parents think they have already messed up everything and there is no hope left.

What do you do?

You fantasize about life.
In this fantasy, you are incredibly strong. You can not only fire guns and kill everyone but you can do even better with a long knife.

Your dad is so rich that the guest list at his birthday party is full of powerful people. But you are more powerful than all of them combined.

At your service is an army of people with guns and weapons.

Police will not even dare to stop you. Even the concept of law enforcement agencies does not exist.

You can say the most ridiculous thing to any girl and she will fall in love with you.
But its not just once, you can become fat and messed up with multiple health issues but you will still make a girl who is actually coming to kill you...fall in love with you.

If at any point of time you feel you are in need for some motivation, your wife will not just call you a hero...she will call you a super hero.

But you are also very humble. You know that when you are going to fight against someone, you will need an army. But your genetics are so strong, they are the best in the world, so you go back to the village and get your cousins. Because now you have the strongest force with you.

There has to be a villain. But the villain cannot be someone from a weaker stock. So of course that is also a cousin of yours. Because everyone else is just plain simple too weak.

The director has managed to create a masterpiece. He surely deserves every honor there is for capturing all the pent up fantasies of a teenage boy.
bblost is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 13:09   #4488
Senior - BHPian

Animal.
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. While the storyline may not be the most original, the scenes and the music/background score never fail to send shivers down my spine. I know from which Hollywood movies the scenes are taken and even the music is inspired (one track, I could identify). It's cleverly repackaged for our audience. The director's creativity is truly a Pandora's box, delivering scenes with remarkable skill. It's a polarizing film - some adore it, while others vehemently dislike it, and both perspectives are perfectly valid. Nevertheless, it has sparked a national conversation!
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 13:18   #4489
Team-BHP Support

Animal:

Fair disclosure. I’m in the camp that doesn’t approve of extreme characters like Kabir Singh and Animal. And not a Vanga fan for pushing out such movies.

That being said, the entire moral debate on whether Vanga is right or wrong in making a movie like Animal is something Vanga should be grateful for. Because if you keep that debate aside, just on plain quality, the movie is atrocious at every level. Plot, dialogue, scene continuity, editing. You take pretty much any creative metric and it fails spectacularly (the musical score being the only exception to the above - it is wonderful).

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th January 2024 at 16:05.
Axe77 is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 13:30   #4490
BHPian

Main Atal Hoon - 4/5

This is a movie that brings out the best of both - the acting abilities of Pankaj Tripathi and the political astuteness/ability/prowess of Late Shri Vajpayeeji

The movie is a no-brainer - despite without the usual masala (which is what we want from a biopic) to make it more engaging, it truly shows it's intent.
It's historical accuracy is >90%, and the events that shaped Vajpayeeji as a politician are captured very well.

The movie truely shows it's class once the storyline captures the emergence of BJP from the 1980s, under the leadership of ABV and LK Advani.

The biggest highlight of the movie (for me) was the dialogue : Partyian aayengi, partiyan jaayengi, sarkare badlengi..par yeah desh rehna chahiye : literal goose bumps for me

PS - I like to be politically aware, so the above review is from that angle, others may not like it
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 13:32   #4491
BHPian

Animal - 3.5/5

I enjoyed the movie and while I do appreciate the people who came of the theatre hating it, my one simple reason to watch a movie is to be engrossed in something other than my own life for a few hours. If the movie does that and I dont feel like I need to watch it in fast forward, then it has done its job.

I like the songs, some of the action and the basic premise of the movie, but most of all, Ranbir Kapoor. I find him to be extremally good in roles like this, rather than chocolate boy roles.
mav2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 19:00   #4492
BHPian

Animal

Eventually ended up watching the movie with a mindset of wanting to hate it even more, but now I am wondering if the haters have actually taken some of the dialogues outside of context, making Ranbir's character look massochistic, which he isn't. The presentation is akin to any outlandish movie (to me Bahubali etc. fall in the category of "out there", the bloodbath is gory (I personally don't prefer such gore), editing is pathetic but so is Scorsese movies (yeah yeah I am an outcast!)

Since a lot of the ridiculous dialogues are already out there in social media, so without the fear of adding to the spoilers, may I defend Ranbir - yes, he is grey. But his respect for women I think has been unfairly portrayed by the haters. He doesn't use his "alpha" message to graze over a woman, rather uses it to enable a woman to exercise her own free will (swayamvar), asks his sister to walk out of a vile marriage, keeps pestering his wife for affection and validation when he is at his lowest. Also, there is a clear context setting of the lack of affection from his father, his father slapping him and teaching him power play at an early age (early age parental malfunctioning is the cause for majority of mental health issues as well). I think this was a powerful messaging - one that could be fulfilled by an ace actor like Ranbir. Was there a less-melodramatic way of presenting this? Sure, we can check with Gauri Shinde!

So, no I still have not accepted the bloomers of logical reasoning which has now become the mainstay of regional cinema, and I wish it wasn't. But I cannot write off Animal the way I did before watching it.
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 19:58   #4493
Senior - BHPian

Animal:

Given the polarizing views on this movie, I didn't expect that I would finish watching it, but I did. So the movie exceeded my expectations

During the first 20 or 30 minutes of the movie before the violence started, it was OK. I even enjoyed some parts like the hero(?) complaining about his BIL addressing his dad as "Papa" and not "Sir". But the pre-interval fight sequences was totally over the top and then it was just about watching it to laugh at the absurdity. Classic case of "It's so bad, it's good!".

The plot is nothing new, and the director has buried the plot under violence and crass (attempts at) comedy. The movie is filled with so many irrelevant scenes, and probably an hour could've been trimmed without losing anything related to the plot. Those irrelevant portions are also largely cringe-worthy.

I mean, one guy set out for revenge after his dog was killed and we watched 4 movies made out of this one line plot. If this movie was made along those lines, it could've been much better as a violent revenge/action flick.
StarrySky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:42   #4494
BHPian

Fighter 4/5

First Day first Show in 3D. Its a worth watch at 150 minutes length approx.
Awesome acting, Nice VFX and slick direction.
It can give some serious career goals to young chaps..

Sam bahadur 4.5/5

An awesome tribute to the Gentleman Field Marshal. His heroics must be told to our next and future generations. A must watch for everyone. Again first day first show but its available on Zee5. Vicky kaushal made Sam alive on the screen !
Rajat347 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 12:46   #4495
Senior - BHPian

Animal

One of the most retarded and chauvinistic films I have seen in recent times. If this is an example of how some in the current generation think and act, which I am sure most don't, then I really pray for souls like these. And the mindset and excuses the protagonist gives for his behavior, should land him in a mental asylum in any systematic society. And that such a movie is a roaring success, is really troubling.

0/5 stars

PS - On the other end of the spectrum, a movie like 12th Fail is 5/5 for me.

Last edited by dkaile : 1st February 2024 at 12:49.
dkaile is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 12:49   #4496
Senior - BHPian

Please review movies like pulpFiction, Scarface, Cape Fear, Goodfellas, Godfather, Silence of the Lambs etc...cult classics and let us know please. Few movies are made to shake us from slumber
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
AnimalOne of the most retarded and chauvinistic films I have seen in recent times. If this is an example of how some in the current generation think and act, which I am sure most don't, then I really pray for souls like these. And the mindset and excuses the protagonist gives for his behavior, should land him in a mental asylum in any systematic society. And that such a movie is a roaring success, is really troubling.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 13:01   #4497
Team-BHP Support

The other day my kids wanted to watch a movie.

A quick discussion between them and they decided to see something with both Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan.

The movie was the super duper hit Karan Arjun.
Release in 1995 this has played on so many TV channels multiple times.

The movie won the best Music Director award in both Screen and Filmfare.

There is a very famous song in this movie.
Its called "Gup Chup Gup Chup".

I remember this was a regular in all the chartbusters programs like Superhit Muqabla.

It features a 23 year old Mamta Kulkarni dancing in front of a lot of men including a 65 year old Amrish Puri.
The song is about how she made a mistake and ended up sleeping next to her brother-in-law because it was quite dark.
It ends with her clarifying that "nothing" happened.

So my dear friends let us spare the moral outrage on the movie Animal.

I don't even want to go to the other more amazing movies like "Raja Ki Aayegi Baaraat" that was released in 1996.

Edit: I did not let them watch this movie.
bblost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 13:21   #4498
Senior - BHPian

What is the need for anyone to justify his or her viewpoint in a open forum and do spare us your superior moral understanding by accepting the unacceptable. If someone likes movies like these, good for them. And someone doesn't, good for them too. We do have the right to share our views, even if we may be in a minority in someone's thought process, don't we?

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 13:25   #4499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And that such a movie is a roaring success, is really troubling.
Movies like this and some much worse than it have been roaring success.

Quote:
do spare us your superior moral understanding by accepting the unacceptable.
Exactly. Thanks.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 13:33   #4500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Exactly. Thanks.
This same to you, same to you stuff is so kiddish that it really makes me ponder that some of us are so fascinated by the protagonist's mindset of the movie in question, that they are not even ready to hear any viewpoint to the contrary. I will end this debate from my side with the view of each to his own...

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks