Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2022, 20:56   #4066
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Brahmastra - 1/5

A mix and match of several movies, scenes, dialogues and plot taken over - Tamasha, Harry Potter, Big Hero 6 and then some more. I didn't like it one bit. Poor screenplay, dialogues and direction spoilt what could have been a good movie. On the other hand, my wife felt it was a good watch for the younger audience.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 21:11   #4067
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Bhramastra

The one weird thing I felt, even as a non Hindi speaker were the dialogs. Seemed very artificial and strange. As if being said in a stage show or something.
The dialogues were weird. As if they wanted to reinforce the names of the lead characters again and again when names weren't needed to be part of the dialogues. Also the repetitive dialogues all throughout the film which has been trolled across reviews.

Found some scenes where Ranbir and Alia were looking at different directions during dialogue delivery maybe because of two different cameras being positioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Brahmastra - 1/5

A mix and match of several movies, scenes, dialogues and plot taken over - Tamasha, Harry Potter, Big Hero 6 and then some more. I didn't like it one bit. Poor screenplay, dialogues and direction spoilt what could have been a good movie. On the other hand, my wife felt it was a good watch for the younger audience.
I agree with this rating. Watched in fast forward to escape the cringe worthy dialogues.

Also the powers were wielded through some totem by each person but I couldn't find what was the totem of Ranbir. Somebody please explain?
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 21:16   #4068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Also the powers were wielded through some totem by each person but I couldn't find what was the totem of Ranbir. Somebody please explain?
Remember how Amitabh explained to Ranbir who he was? He himself was the astra.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 21:56   #4069
Team-BHP Support

I saw Brahmastra in a theater with my 11 year old daughter. She enjoyed the movie, so it was paisa vasool for me.

Personally, I thought it was a good first attempt to start a proper sci-fi franchise although the dialogues (light aa gayi Shiva), direction & screenplay (what was the need for the orphanage side story) were below average. VFX was good, but it needed to be more realisitic. Fire should have looked like fire, not some pink gas.

All said and done, we will definitely watch the sequel if and when it releases.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th November 2022 at 21:57.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 16:00   #4070
Senior - BHPian

I thought the Brahmastra fire had died a few weeks back but it has been reignited I guess.

I was literally forced by family to watch it on Hotstar while I wanted to watch the India Zimbabwe match. I agree with most of the posts that the dialogues are the deal breaker in the movie although no one expects heavy dialogues in the supposed to be sci fi movie. The ending was totally wasted. I didnt enjoy the movie although family was OK with it.

BTW which BMW was used in the movie, couldn't get an idea?

Rating: 2/5.

PS: I am surely not waiting for Part 2.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 21:52   #4071
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently Alia says "Shiva" 102 times in the movie. Someone actually counted and created a montage of all the "Shiva's". The kind of trolls people do...
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 00:09   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Bhramastra: Out on Hotstar now. A nice film bringing in the concept of the Astraverse. Setting the stage for a super hero universe film based on the Indian mythology and 'astras'. Nice concept, good vfx, great performances especially from the kids, Amitabh Bachchan as usual was good. SRK cameo was fantastic. Ranbir was also good. Something seemed off about Alia Bhatt's performance.

The one weird thing I felt, even as a non Hindi speaker were the dialogs. Seemed very artificial and strange. As if being said in a stage show or something.

Overall a good watch. Best viewed on a large screen with a good sound system.
We also watched it on hotstar as soon as it was available. It's a good watch with a good sound system and we Enjoyed it for what it offers. Vfx are probably one of the best in a Hindi film. Acting is generic and Alia's entire role wasn't needed in the movie. She is a waste of screen time. It is a good attempt to bring something new in bollywood which is only churning remakes and same old stuff since ages.

However, dialogues were written by a 12 year old. They are ridiculous to say the least. SRK was good in his cameo. Ranbir was strictly ok and Amitabh is doing what he does in every movie. This movie could have been a lot better with a better director and dialogue writer. Let's see what the sequel will offer.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 05:39   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
We also watched it on hotstar as soon as it was available. It's a good watch with a good sound system and we Enjoyed it for what it offers. Vfx are probably one of the best in a Hindi film. .
That's what I felt too. Enjoy it for what it offers. Single biggest drawback of the movie is the dialogues. The next is unnecessary romantic angle which does nothing to the storyline and is merely there as a filler.

Decent watch for a first installment that could have been way better.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 10:12   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
That's what I felt too. Enjoy it for what it offers. Single biggest drawback of the movie is the dialogues. The next is unnecessary romantic angle which does nothing to the storyline and is merely there as a filler.

Decent watch for a first installment that could have been way better.
They should have learned from Marvel. Such movies do not need a Romantic parallel story as content is the attraction. They are trying to create an Astra universe so why unnecessarily drag it down with a useless love story which brings nothing to the story as a whole. I wish someone like Rajamouli was the director for this.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:14   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
They should have learned from Marvel. Such movies do not need a Romantic parallel story as content is the attraction. .
Absolutely. The first few minutes with SRK set a great tone of expectation for me which was tempered by the dragging along of the story, especially with how the lead pair meet.
The VFX was excellent and quite natural looking.

For the superhero genre - Minnal Murali is a must-see on how a superhero story can be done with technology and mostly budgetary limitations in India
harshaguduru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:55   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

Brahmastra Hotstar

The movie could have been so much better. Yes, the movie is full of childish dialogues and an unimaginative love story as a base but yet, the movie is not that bad as it has been made out. The special effects are top notch and it shows all through, songs are pretty much good too though not necessary for a fiction fantasy as such and the best part was Shahrukh Khan despite everything. Mouni Roy was overacting pro max and she being the main protagonist here, killed the antagonist part.

Rating: 2.5/5

Tadka ZEE5

A movie based on a story which we have seen earlier as well but what makes the movie delightful is the performances. Starring Nana Patekar, Shreya Saran, Ali Fazal, Tapsee Pannu, Lillett Dubey, Irawati Harshe and Rajesh Sharma, the movie is a slice of life story with a golden heart at its core. Enjoyed it much. Those who love easy going movies- recommended watch.

Rating: 3.5/5 and 0.5 deducted for the atrociously dubbed voice of Tapsee Pannu !!

Gali Guleiyan Amazon Prime

An absolute masterclass by Manoj Bajpayee. End of a difficult story.

Rating: 5/5.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 7th November 2022 at 22:56.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:08   #4077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

BTW which BMW was used in the movie, couldn't get an idea?
Old 530i, ideal for less heart and pocket burn when damaging multiple times for the shoot. But with the type of deep pockets they probably have, won't make much of a difference to them I guess.

Name:  car 2.png
Views: 331
Size:  464.4 KB
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindi Movies Thread-530i.png  

AnnaRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 21:07   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching Brahmastra over 3 days. Somehow couldn't bear to watch it for more than 30 minutes or so at a time. What a yawn fest, honestly. I was desperately searching for a semblance of a story, but in the end the message was that I could have probably watched Veer Zara or DDLJ, because love conquers everything right? All the gobbledygook about the Astras and the swirling VFX was for this ? And what were SRK and Nagarjuna doing in this movie if they had to expend them right away? It could have been any other actor. I would give it a solid 0.5 out of 5. 0.5 for the initial romance between the lead pair that actually felt more refreshing than all that purple/pink nonsense that followed. I think I will go back and watch some episodes of Ramayan/Mahabharat as an antidote. At least you get the context and characters which are so much more important.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 9th November 2022 at 21:14.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 22:51   #4079
Distinguished - BHPian

What a colossal waste of time Brahmastra . That overdose of VFX gave me a headache. My colour television never spewed so much colour and light in 2 hours and 48 minutes. This is a movie made in a lab rather than a studio or locations sans any story, direction or even acting skills. Please save the time and headache. Watch news.
Rating: 0.5/5 and I’m being liberal.

It might have worked better if that was a fully animated movie.

Last edited by saket77 : 11th November 2022 at 22:54.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 08:04   #4080
Team-BHP Support

Watched Monica, O My Darling on Netflix last night.

A murder mystery starring Rajkumar Rao and Huma Qureshi among others. This could have been an interesting movie but the storyline is all over the place.

2.5/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks