Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 18:40   #3946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Rocketry - The Nambi Effect

A very well made movie. If indeed Mr. Nambi Narayanan had to endure so much of pain at the hands of corrupt officials and politicians, it's really painful. My rating is 4 and half stars out of 5.
BoneCollector is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 23:00   #3947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Runway 34: First of all, thanks to Amazon that they didn't ask me to rent it.
Coming to the movie, the plot was good- however, Ajay Devgn doing things that a real pilot will never do to land the plane was out of place......

The positive stuff that I can say about this movie is the good graphics and the fact that these movies are warming up the general bollywood audience to a different genre; so thanks for that.

Rating it 3/5
If someone has watched Denzel Washington's 'Flight', Tom Hank's 'Sully' and some air crash investigation documentaries on National Geograhic, one will quickly realize that Ajay Devgn, the director and his writer did a good job at using all the essential elements of these nice movies/documentaries to create a story of their own, but the end result was the same as Bollywood has been dishing out all these years: Try hard to show one man a 'Hero' and another the 'Villain', it is fine if everything else in the movie can go for a toss: logic, acting (excluding main characters, direction etc...)

I couldn't hold my laugh when the 'Hero' put his goggle on his eyes, an unlit cigarette in his mouth, said goodbye and closed his eyes in the final phase of landing, which by the way is the most crucial part, even more in adverse conditions like the one he ended up in, and all this while the First officer is crying, asking the captain 'ab kya', suddenly when the plane is close to terrain he does something heroic and lands the plane safely just before it falls of the cliff. The only question I asked my wife after that entire sequence: "Seriously ???" I felt bad for an actor as great as Amitabh Bachchan, his performance was great as always, but was completely out of place. It appeared as if he was interrogating some local thug and his partner. He emphasises on sticking to Hindi, but at some places unknowingly uses English words in his Hindi sentences almost as if he forgot to stick to the directive, but that was fine.

Denzel Washington's 'Flight' has a lot of similarities with this movie and I highly recommend people to watch it, but I really liked the twists in Flight 34 and could have done much better if it was done correct technically. Rakul Preet ought to watch some youtube videos, learn what exactly a First Officer does and understand how a Pilot's mental state should be when caught in situation like this. I honestly felt the portrayal of Pilot/Co-Pilot was way off the mark. In the end, it was not about the Pilot, Vikrant Khanna, but more about Ajay Devgn's style and showbaazi on screen with his usual arresting eyes and serious looking face with a lit cigarette.

I started replying to some emails while watching it, so no, not a gripping movie for me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next movie I watched was Anek on Netflix. One word for that: Excellent

Liked the plot, the characters and the accuracy of their portrayal (Yes, they did not choose Danny Denzongpa as the usual North East Indian guy! ), the photography is awesome. One thing I really liked was how they used the songs and music from North East India, that helped set the mood of the place where everything is happening. Some dialogues felt a little boring, should have been written well, but that is fine. Ayushman Khurana is a gem when it comes to acting, the good part is he can do some 'heropanti' as well in the process which has an added bonus, he has been doing some really good movies which are stronger in aspects of writing, direction and plots that stand out from the usual potboilers.

Last edited by NiInJa : 11th July 2022 at 23:23.
NiInJa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:51   #3948
BHPian

Watched Jadugar on Netflix
Rating 1/5
Utter crap
I don't understand how do they make such movies.
Very untidy story line, laughable direction, poor attempts to make comedy.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 13:45   #3949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post

1) ANEK- Beautiful locations, a theme(North East) that was long overdue on the big screen , and a team that has delivered in the past. I was so looking forward to this but the movie disappointed. It is not that bad a movie but it could have been way better and probably that is why it failed at the BO. The movie becomes confusing after starting off as a wannabe thriller. Do not expect another Article 15 from this team. What could have been a powerful eye opener, ends up as just a mediocre political movie. Wishing someone can cover up for this missed opportunity with a wonderful movie about NE or a great web series perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

The next movie I watched was Anek on Netflix. One word for that: Excellent

Liked the plot, the characters and the accuracy of their portrayal (Yes, they did not choose Danny Denzongpa as the usual North East Indian guy! ), the photography is awesome. One thing I really liked was how they used the songs and music from North East India, that helped set the mood of the place where everything is happening. Some dialogues felt a little boring, should have been written well, but that is fine. Ayushman Khurana is a gem when it comes to acting, the good part is he can do some 'heropanti' as well in the process which has an added bonus, he has been doing some really good movies which are stronger in aspects of writing, direction and plots that stand out from the usual potboilers.
I watched it in a theatre after a week of it’s release. Kid you not, quite a few people walked out.

I felt this should have been a mini-series. There were just too many sub-plots to tie up together in a 3hr runtime. I hope we get a director’s cut (maybe split in 2 parts) which includes everything that was dropped for the theatrical version.

But kudos to the makers for recreating the NE ambience so beautifully and giving a platform to NE actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Rocketry - The Nambi Effect

A very well made movie. If indeed Mr. Nambi Narayanan had to endure so much of pain at the hands of corrupt officials and politicians, it's really painful. My rating is 4 and half stars out of 5.
Liked this movie. They managed to dumb-down the science just enough to make it enjoyable for the average joe. Only complaint I have is they should have cast better supporting actors. The guy who played Kalam just didn’t feel convincing enough.

Nice touch to actually get the man on screen towards the end.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:01   #3950
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Week I watched 3 Bollywood movies

Forensic
Seeing Radhika Apte, I started to watch the movie expecting some out of the box dram storyline. Of course it was not a run of the mill story, but still it was a boring movie. First step where I knew this would be a medicre movie was when the Character of Vikrant Massey is introduced. Then somewhere when half the movie was done, I thought "this is like an episode of CID made into a movie" and 5 minutes after that...lo and behold, I had Dr. Salunke with all his advanced Softwares! Prachi Desai has done well but overall an average movie

I'd rate it 2.5/5

Runway34
This movie is well made compared to the other Bollywood movies. The fact that is just about average shows how bad Bollywood movies have been recently. Otherwise I was laughing at some of the depictions. Of course the real life incident of Jet Airways Flight 9w555 from Doha to Kochi did happen in pretty much similar fashion but the "creative freedom" that the makers have taken is a little to much. The movie set all seems too artificial.

I'd rate it 3/5

Samrat Prithviraj
Among the 3 movies, This probably was the better one. The history around Prithviraj Chauhan isn't very clear but one thing that is available in most of the scriptures is that he defeated Ghazni emperor and still left him alive. This has been shown well. But otherwise, I felt that the entire movie kind of tries to mimic Jodha Akbar movie. All actors have done their part well but somehow Akshay kumar was not looking good as a king. Just a one-time-watch I'd say. The colosseum kind of scenes, the bahubali like war scene, were all too artificial and not effective IMHO.

I'd rate it 3/5
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:57   #3951
BHPian

Watched Jug Jugg Jeeyo on Prime Video over the weekend. Thankfully hadn't wasted money by going to a multiplex to watch this nonsense.

What a colossal waste of time! Plus the way they've explored the theme of marriage and divorce is cringe pro max.

As for the actors, Anil Kapoor is fairly okay. Varun Dhawan is his usual over-the-top irritating self. The less said about Kiara Advani's acting the better.

Dharma Productions a.k.a Karan Johar is still making movies in such absolute ridiculous fashion, when the audience has greatly matured in today's time.

Rocketry: The Nambi Effect was a decent attempt by Madhavan, considering everything from script to direction was done by him. Hat's off to the way he has managed to pull this off. Also, salute to Shri. Nambi Narayanan ji for his everlasting courage and pride in fighting state power to redeem himself and his family.

Wish the movie had more content about the actual controversy, as that is the real meat of the story of a scandal cooked up by investigative agencies and villainous other stakeholders against one of the top scientists this nation has had. Nambi's contemporary Kalam sahab went on serve as Rashtrapati, while he himself was seemingly disgraced for no fault of his. India has really lost out on the services of his talent and acumen. The other sore point was the supporting cast.

Glad to have watched this in the theatre. For those who haven't watched it yet, the movie is coming to Prime Video on 26th July, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 25th July 2022 at 16:04. Reason: Added content
IamNikhil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 15:10   #3952
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Luck Jerry : 1.5 / 5

If there ever was a playbook on how to steadily get the movie from a good movie to a crappy movie, this has to be there among the top contenders. The only part I would give appreciation is some good acting by Deepak Dobriyal and in relatively small role, by Neeraj Sood. The lead actors including Jhanvi Kapoor do a mess with some heavy overacting and illogical emotions displayed. Give it a miss even if you have loads of time - you'll thank me later.
Old 30th July 2022, 15:46   #3953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
For those who haven't watched it yet, the movie is coming to Prime Video on 26th July, if I'm not mistaken.
It did come but not in Hindi strangely. What’s the original language it was made in?
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindi Movies Thread-a502d8d48230411ca762119c931390ac.jpeg  

Old 30th July 2022, 15:55   #3954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
It did come but not in Hindi strangely. What’s the original language it was made in?
Multilingual. In Tamil, Hindi and English shot simultaneously. I watched the Tamil version yesterday with subtitles.

As I gather, there are some cast changes in Tamil and Hindi/English versions as well.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 16:40   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
The movie has dropped in Hindi, on Voot.
What a movie though!
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 16:43   #3956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It did come but not in Hindi strangely.
Hindi version of Rocketry is streaming on Voot Select.

The Hindi Movies Thread-20220730_164132.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:06   #3957
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Luck Jerry
Saw this Jahnvi Kapoor movie over the weekend and this was the first movie I watched of her. It's a nonsense comedy movie. it was ok ok for a comedy movie in the first half but totally falls apart by the time you finish. avoidable movie!
I'll rate this 1.5/5

Chappar Phaad Ke
Watched this movie seeing Vinay Pathak and Ayesha Raza in the cast. A good one time watch light hearted comedy movie. Probably one of the 100s of movies on the subject of Demonetisation. With such great actors, our expectation is high and probably that's why it feels average in the end. It tries to convey a message of how money can spoil all the relations in a middle class family.
I'll rate this 3/5

Gunjan Saxena
I had skipped watching this movie in the past, But now, because I watched Good luck Jerry, the OTT app suggested this movie to me. Went ahead and watched it without much expectations. Was a good movie in the end I'd say. As expected Jahnvi's acting is ok ok but the true story behind that is what is really impressive. Pankaj Tripathi is in his usual best. the others in cast also have done their roles well. A good family watch
I'd rate this 3.5/5
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 16:13   #3958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Good Luck Jerry
Saw this Jahnvi Kapoor movie over the weekend and this was the first movie I watched of her. It's a nonsense comedy movie. it was ok ok for a comedy movie in the first half but totally falls apart by the time you finish. avoidable movie!
I'll rate this 1.5/5
This is a remake of the Tamil Movie- Nayantara starrer 'Kolamaavu Kokila'. This was a very good one with Nayantara doing a fantastic job. Had that subtle balance between being a dark comedy and a spoof movie. If not watched, you can try to judge how bad Good Luck Jerry was.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 20:55   #3959
BHPian

Watched (Perks of being married ) Jug Jug Jeeyo . My rating -5 out of 5

What a waste of money, talent and time. I should've backed away just by seeing Karan Johar's name

Last edited by Asish_VK : 1st August 2022 at 20:56.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 00:06   #3960
BHPian

Watched Good Luck Jerry (Disney+ Hotstar) over the weekend.

I don't know why every filmmaker these days thinks that a poorly executed confusion, thugs fighting with each other, pandemonium etc are elements which will make the audience fall over laughing. Not every movie can turn out to be a Delhi Belly or Bhagam Bhag.

This movie was slated to be a dark comedy, but ended up being a joke in itself! Royal disaster, to say the least.

Rating: 1/5
Basically, please avoid!

P.s. Janhvi Kapoor has come a long way from her initial days though, acting-wise. Gunjan Saxena was quite a turnaround for her it seems.

Most Viewed