Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 19:45   #3781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Dhamaka : 3.5/5 (Netflix)

This is a hard hitting movie on how a small part of the mainstream media works.

Civil Society needs to reconsider how to hold NEWS channels to account with laid regulatory guidelines meant to ensure they keep their priorities right rather than allow them to do anything in the name of journalistic freedom / independence.

That said, beautifully told story. Brilliant acting by the Karthik Arya. This is the one actor who often explores facets of social bias that MSM induces us to overlook. ALL other actors too carried out their part well. It'll be easy for elders to understand too.

Could've been a little better made, but that would've cost more unnecessarily & this was meant as an average budget OTT release movie. Despite my rating, I'd say Do. Not. Miss.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 20th November 2021 at 19:47.
Old 20th November 2021, 23:32   #3782
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Without taking anything away from the review above, but I found Dhamaka to be a painful watch, so much so that I took my own sweet time in completing it despite not liking the movie at all. Kartick Aryan with his dead pan expressions just goes through his motions throughout the whole movie just like he does always and it’s actually Amruta Subhas who shines through in an unconventional role as per her filmography.

The film is full of factual errors and it’s surprising that Ram Madhwani came up with this one. The idea of the movie is bang on though on the present state of Indian media but it simply wilts away under a poor screenplay. Expected better but in the end, a very tepid movie. The Korean original though is way better.

Rating: 1/5 and that’s just for Amruta Subash and Mrunal Thakur.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 20th November 2021 at 23:50.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 05:00   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Dhamaka 2/5
Explosions all round, and my head was one of them. I support Kartik's movies because I see him as an underdog but his over the top acting gave me a headache. He plays a cynical ex-tv anchor, now relegated down to being a RJ, who sees a chance for a career comeback when a terrorist strikes at the Mumbai sea-link. Like the bridge, much of the plot goes up in smoke thanks to an over stretched story line and ridiculous performances. Plenty of plot-holes later the film just struggles to move. Watch at your own peril
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindi Movies Thread-screenshot-20211121-4.49.26-am.png  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 05:06   #3784
Distinguished - BHPian

Dhamaka was underwhelming for me. Personal opinion, an elder actor would have suited much more in the lead role. The different stages the character is shown to have gone through, would look so much more believable.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 09:01   #3785
BHPian

Dhamaka 3/5

The premise stays relevant, whether it's South Korea (the original movie) or India or anywhere. I took it as a fast food OTT movie & forgave most its minor flaws. Watchable with family. The female lead is a special appearance! The character of the channel editor is played well.

Dark shades of urban professionals are explored. Stories not stopping with characters dying is good, most actors don't accept becoming a tool to put across a story.

Music isn't bad either. They've even kept visual effects to the minimum. Sufficiently good for a lazy Saturday afternoon. 3/5 is justified, any more is kindness.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 21st November 2021 at 09:05. Reason: Added "South Korean movie - The Terror Live."
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 18:13   #3786
AZT
BHPian

Saw Sardar Udham on Prime and 5/5 recommend. Everything was spot on from the direction to cinematography to acting.

Hard hitting movie. Vicky Kaushal did well and Shoojit Sarkar has made a masterpiece.
Old 29th November 2021, 00:49   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Chhorii - 5/5

Opened prime to search for something to watch this evening and this one showed at the top. Thought to give a try by reading the intro.

You got to watch it, What a movie!! Incredible story telling and all credits to the movie makers for coming up with this horror/thriller movie, one with a message too. Keeping you hooked and at the edge of the seat, a little dragged in between but at the end you will be amazed. Worth and must watch.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 04:26   #3788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Chhorii - 5/5
Haven't watched it yet, but the trailer gave me "In the tall grass" vibes.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 29th November 2021 at 04:46.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 08:23   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Haven't watched it yet, but the trailer gave me "In the tall grass" vibes.
Yeah, the set up seems like that but the story line is entirely different.

However, I just learnt that it is a remake of a Marathi language movie "Lapachappi" made by the same director but with different set of actors.

Lapachappi trailer is more interesting than that of Chhorrii's:

balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:19   #3790
Distinguished - BHPian

Ranveer Singh recreates the historical moment when Kapil Dev and his squad won the 1983 World Cup.

83 Movie trailer

Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:47   #3791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ranveer Singh recreates the historical moment when Kapil Dev and his squad won the 1983 World Cup.

83 Movie trailer

https://Youtu.be/QHdkC6Kn0Io
The only good thing about the whole movie, according to my limited sense is that, at least some portion of that epic 175 will now be on screen from here on. BBC folks will heave a shy of relief, specially the ones who were part of the strike that fateful day
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:21   #3792
Distinguished - BHPian

Chhorii

Fantastic. After a long time I have come across a Hindi movie which kept me glued from start to finish. Atmospheric and full of foreboding moments - the two prequisites for a good horror/suspense yarn. Direction, characters, performances & cinematography are spot-on.

Fans of such films can't afford to miss this.

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 15:54   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Bob Biswas

Streaming: Zee5

Story set in Kolkatta about an assassin coming out of coma trying to remember things, family, job etc and the usual routine of trying to go good but pulled back to old job. Some restrained acting by Abhishek Bacchan with a weird hair style and body. Chitrangadha singh was the only other know face, looks yummy in some scenes. Lot of violence depicted in the movie, so if watching with family take care

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 7th December 2021, 19:52   #3794
Senior - BHPian

Bob Biswas

Glazed expressionless & chubby Abhishek Bachchan is an ex-assassin resurrected from a coma. If they were aiming to depict Abhishek as some sort of shoe-string budget wala John Wick, then they failed in the most epic way. Chitrangada Singh tries acting but her role has no scope whatsoever. Same with the child actors - no scope. Even the side characters weren't presented decently. Villian has no menacing-like character build up.

Overall felt like a poorly written comprehension story by an 7th grader.

Rating : 1.5/5
(P.S. : Nobody at home even wanted to try an AB movie. My false hopes fell flat. Avoid!)

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 7th December 2021 at 19:54.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 12:27   #3795
Distinguished - BHPian

Brace yourselves for RRR, in theaters from 7th January 2022.

Hindi Trailer
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed