Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 12:27   #3466
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

"The Tashkent Files" was on the bucket list for a long long time and finally got to watch it yesterday. Its on ZEE5.

Found it quite underwhelming. They had all the ingredients to make a it great movie - fantastic and gripping content, amazing bunch of actors and a topic that was politically relevant. But, without the heart in the right place, they botched it up big time. How I wish this was handled more maturely by a more accomplished director/production house. Some elements of bias/selfishness were touched upon but never compelling. The back and forth between real characters and reel characters affected the screenplay and pace. Overall it ended up as a social-media derived hotch-potch devoid of any real intent beyond propaganda.

I thought, this had all the ingredients to become a true successor of "12 Angry Men" and it just fizzled out. Wish a truly sensitive topic like this was handled more maturely and delicately. Would rate it 1.5/5 but would still recommend everyone to watch (for the topic, not the movie itself).

Last edited by sachinayak : 18th April 2020 at 12:28.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 16:29   #3467
Team-BHP Support

Shubh Mangal Zyada Savdhan

Was really looking forward to this one so now that it's on Prime, watched it last night. Very disappointing to be honest. The storyline is very disjointed, there are several plots/sub-plots to the story that have no relevance forward or backward and worse, Ayushman Khurana has over-acted needlessly almost through the film.

I don't think they had a robust script so they threw in cliches (homosexuality, small town mentality etc.). Gajraj Rao is utterly wasted; Maanvi Gagroo and Neena Gupta salvage some bits.

2/5

I fear they're milking the likes of Neena Gupta, Gajraj Rao way too much now (and in similar roles); viewers might just have enough of them.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 16:40   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
I fear they're milking the likes of Neena Gupta, Gajraj Rao way too much now (and in similar roles); viewers might just have enough of them.
Exactly. But Neena Gupta and Gajraj Rao are the saving grace of the film. Else a very average watch.
Old 1st May 2020, 20:43   #3469
BHPian

Watched Thappad on Prime today. Nice movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thappad: 4 / 5
Taapsee Pannu shines out with a fantastic performance, with an amazing supporting cast that play their roles brilliantly.
Taapsee Pannu's film all the way. Brilliant acting, nice camerawork, very hummable songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Worth a watch in the theaters for sure. If you can't, wait for 2 weeks; this movie is sure to come onto Amazon Prime video (part producers of the film) by then.
Thappad is on Amazon Prime now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thappad: 4/5
It's a must watch for men than just the women.
+1 for that. Must watch for men and also to teach sons / daughters about the respect towards their spouse, respecting each other's personal spaces, understanding likes/dislikes of another human being.

Rating : 4/5
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:50   #3470
BHPian

Kuchh Bheege Alfaaz on Netflix: 3/5

A slow, nice film that I enjoyed watching. Makes for a good one-time watch!
Old 25th May 2020, 22:47   #3471
BHPian

This movie might have been reviewed earlier as well.

102 Not Out. [2.5/5]

The positive is acting of Amitabh Bachchan. He did well. Is a good one time family entertainer.

Not much that one can speak of about the plot itself where the essence appears to be to give out a message to everyone to live cheerfully and be lively instead of just going through the motions - a rather drab subject that's been beaten to a pulp already unless one gets creative about it!

If you have nothing else to see, sure, one could watch this movie. But if you have others lined up, it'd be quite alright to give this a miss as well.

Last edited by Miyata : 25th May 2020 at 23:13.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 00:45   #3472
BHPian

Love Aaj Kal - 1/5

One those movies that fits the bill for using the classic cliche - "I've seen the movie so you don't have to!"

Was just browsing through netflix, prime, and hotstar and chanced upon this - what caught my attention was Randeep Hooda. I quite like the actor.

Movie itself was a waste of my time (and most likely would be yours too if you watch it). Except for Hooda, everyone else is a bit of torture to endure. The background songs feel like a 3rd degree - singers are "shouting out" the songs - bad compositions! If they want to get something out of the spies the Indian army may have captured, they could try the background scores of this movie.

Plot could have been developed better, but the whole thing was just childish....very infantile. Was even googling about to know why Hooda signed up for it

Be kind to yourself, avoid this movie.

Last edited by Miyata : 1st June 2020 at 00:46.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 08:48   #3473
Senior - BHPian

Wajid Khan, the popular music director from the Sajid-Wajid duo passed away at the age of 42. He was tested positive for the novel Coronavirus few days ago.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/cel...089-2020-06-01
Old 1st June 2020, 11:09   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Wajid Khan, the popular music director from the Sajid-Wajid duo passed away at the age of 42. He was tested positive for the novel Coronavirus few days ago.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/cel...089-2020-06-01
42 is too young to die :(

But I guess life has been uncertain always. Sad to see him go.
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:15   #3475
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched The Tashkent Files last night.

The movie is based on the death of India's second PM, Lal Bahadur Shastri. Unfortunately but predictably, the movie doesn't have much content other than what's already available in the public domain. Barring the last minute or so where it touches upon some speculation, most of the movie is a dramatisation of common knowledge.

Not the best cinematography or acting, this is a decent one time watch if you like yourself some politics and history.

3/5

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd June 2020 at 17:11. Reason: Post moved from the TV shows thread.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 23:47   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Gulabo Sitabo : 1/5

An unforgivable waste of incredibly brilliant acting skills of a veteran. The story just didn't have ANYTHING. It felt like a joke was being played on the viewer. I got bored and couldn't bear it beyond 20-25mins per sitting and Big B being the lead in the movie, I kept going back to check if something interesting comes up next. I seriously believe something is off about this release. Although I'm not an Amitabh Bachchan fan, I feel bad for the actor - any small time artist would be breathing fire at the producer for creatingsuch a poor experience for the consumers. He's too dignified for such stuff.

As a consumer, DON'T watch this movie. As a Amazon Prime user, I'm NOT going to renew my prime membership for being treated SO poorly with such shabbily curated selections. In US, Prime has some fairly good choices that are NOT being made available to Indian market.
GrammarNazi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 00:21   #3477
Team-BHP Support

This is consistent with a lot of people are saying about the movie. All reviews, however, are extremely positive. I was looking forward to it, but I think will skip.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 09:57   #3478
Distinguished - BHPian

We caught up on it last night. This story of two characters, of crooked nature, kept me hooked. Brilliant acting and an interesting story is what I liked about it. However I agree the slow pace and few unnecessary scenes can be a turn off.

Gulabo Sitaabo - 3.5/5
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 19:23   #3479
BHPian

Gulabo Sitaabo: 3 / 5
Its a simple light comedy film. It could have been better especially the first 15 to 20 minutes are very slow and at one point I felt like switching off.

We have seen Big B doing much more engaging roles so this one sort of below par for him Vijay Raaj has acted very well.

It s good one time watch for sitting at home and relaxing.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 20:23   #3480
Senior - BHPian

Gulabo Sitaabo: 3.5/5
The movie is more about underlying emotions and conveys a subtle message on greed. Amitabh has acted really well as the aged Mirza. But the ending went a bit awry. Beautiful movie nonetheless, and one time watch
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks