Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2015, 22:13   #2776
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Saw Badlapur a few weeks ago and just saw NH10 today. I liked both of them very much. Pleasant change from the commercial Hindi movie crap! One of the better Hindi movies I have seen in a while. I'd rate them both as 3.5/5. NH10 got a bit predictable after the interval. I thought Badlapur was violent, NH10 definitely took it up a notch.
Old 3rd April 2015, 19:42   #2777
Team-BHP Support

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy

I had decided a month or so ago that I will watch this movie. And generally once I do so for any movie, I completely avoid watching trailers, reading online reviews etc and watch it as soon as possible. As a result, I don't really have any predetermined opinion about the movie when I see it.

Caught the 1.30 pm show of DBB today. The movie was B-O-R-I-N-G to me. There was no thrill, the lead actor was not good enough, the support cast except the villian was average and the director tried accommodating too may angles and multiple plots in the screenplay.

It turned out to be a half baked thriller in which only about 20 minutes were interesting and the other two hours below par.

Rating for me = 1.5 stars.

However, I am now extremely surprised at the positive reviews of the movie on all websites. I don't know what I missed.

Eagerly awaiting the views of fellow bhpians on this one !
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:58   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Detective Byomkesh Bakshy
...The movie was B-O-R-I-N-G to me. There was no thrill, the lead actor was not good enough, the support cast except the villian was average and the director tried accommodating too may angles and multiple plots in the screenplay.

It turned out to be a half baked thriller in which only about 20 minutes were interesting and the other two hours below par.
You couldn't be more right on that, Eddy!

My wife and I never go for any Hindi movies. When we saw the trailer for this, we thought maybe, just maybe, it could be different than the usual horror that comes out of bollywood these days.

15-20 minutes into the movie we realized how dumb we were. Plot was just half baked. If it wasn't for the last 20 minutes, we would have never guessed anything. There was hardly any detective work!

Oh, and the guy who played byomkesh bakshi? Just does not suit the role. The one played by Rajit Kapur was so much better.
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:17   #2779
BHPian

Hmm, Interesting reactions.

Saw DBB, and felt it as a good movie. The no-nonsense story telling approach of Dibakar Banerjee was the greatest highlight.Laced with awesome back ground score, excellent DOP and amazing art work.

Yes, agree that, you should be bit more attentive while watching than the usual bolly- masalas that are churned out every week.

The movie would have been excellent but for some glitches occurred while shifting the plot from a normal "man-missing" background to a larger canvass of "save Kolkata" .

Nevertheless ,A largely satisfying experience for me.
Old 5th April 2015, 00:47   #2780
BHPian

Watched Detective Byomkesh Bakshy

I feel it's a good movie, but without the usual suspense that these kind of movies tend to have. It follows a very predictable path and the ending is no surprise.

This is nothing like the Byomkesh Bakshy serial, they have sort of tried to create an Indian version of Sherlock Holmes

P.S. It has some gory scenes.

Rating-2/5

Last edited by Marauder : 5th April 2015 at 00:49.
Old 5th April 2015, 23:21   #2781
Team-BHP Support

The detective angle falls totally flat, probably unfair to compare but Sushant Singh Rajput is not a patch on Rajit Kapur portraying the much-loved detective. The film-maker tries very hard to create a complex plot, but is all to predictable. Technically excellent though, esp. the cinematography. If I had to pick one performance, I'd pick Neeraj Kabi's. Unadulterated, unrestrained, effortlessly evil. Aamir was apparently offered this role (Kabi's) and he chose to do Dhoom 3 instead!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th April 2015 at 23:29.
Old 6th May 2015, 17:16   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Gabbar is Back - Its the same old story of a common man fighting against corruption in our society. The original, Ramanaa (Tamil), directed by AR Murugadoss, was released 13 years back and such a movie had a lot of scope then. By now we've seen a lot of movies with the same theme (including Ungli which released a few months back) and has lost the novelty factor. There isn't anything much exciting in the script or presentation side either. But that said, Gabbar isn't an irritating, over the top, 'masala entertainer'. All actors have done their part well and direction is top notch. If you can ignore the dated feel, it's a one time watchable fare.
Old 10th May 2015, 01:08   #2783
Distinguished - BHPian

"Piku"

What a brilliant movie. One of the best hindi movies seen in last few months with fantastic acting by the entire starcast with Amitabh shining through like a candle in the dark

On second thoughts, I would be hard pressed to decide who acted better. Amitabh or Irrfan Khan. Both were simply outstanding with excellent support from Deepika

Its a movie that has a beautiful story woven around a topic nobody wants to dwell much about "potty"

All I can say, don't miss this movie !!

4.5/5
Old 11th May 2015, 14:18   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008;[B
"Piku"[/b]

What a brilliant movie. One of the best hindi movies seen in last few months with fantastic acting by the entire starcast with Amitabh shining through like a candle in the dark

On second thoughts, I would be hard pressed to decide who acted better. Amitabh or Irrfan Khan. Both were simply outstanding with excellent support from Deepika

Its a movie that has a beautiful story woven around a topic nobody wants to dwell much about "potty"
All I can say, don't miss this movie !!

4.5/5
I agree with Mobike008 .. its good family entertainer . Saw it with my family every one liked it. Reminded me of old harikesh mukherjee movies.

I cannot help to imagine how it would be if Vidya Balan would have been instead of Deepika .
Old 11th May 2015, 15:25   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Tried to watch Shamitabh a few days back. Gave up after 40 mins.

However then watched Dum Laga ke Haisha.

What a refreshing movie. A story and characters totally different from the run of the mill Bollywood types. Totally loved it.

4.5/5 is my rating.
Old 11th May 2015, 15:44   #2786
Senior - BHPian

+1 to mobike008 & Kool_kid.

Piku is a complete family entertainer with none of of the usual over the top love story, emotional drama, unnecessary CGI's.

There are only a few Amitabh movies which I like and this is going to be one of them (remember Shakti). Irfan is amazing, no wonder he is most sought after in Hollywood. Deepika was superb in supporting but the entire movie belonged to big B. Moushami Chatterjee was significant in the small role.

I would rate this 5/5.
Old 11th May 2015, 15:47   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Tried to watch Shamitabh a few days back. Gave up after 40 mins.

However then watched Dum Laga ke Haisha.

What a refreshing movie. A story and characters totally different from the run of the mill Bollywood types. Totally loved it.

4.5/5 is my rating.
Totally agree. Watched this yesterday. Cute movie really. The lead actress Bhoomi Pendekar steals the show. And absolutely hilarious one liners..

The ending though I felt was a litle rushed to - it is after all a 1hr 45 min movie.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 11th May 2015 at 15:48.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:04   #2788
Senior - BHPian

Watched Piku at PVR yesterday.
Night show and it was almost packed.

What a simple and refreshing movie.
A simple storyline becomes funny, casual and really touching.
Whoever thought Deepika may be a mis fit should watch it. She is simply outstanding.

But the movie belonged to the veteran- Amitabh was beyond superlatives.
Excellent acting throughout(Irrfan included) and direction.

Must watch and rate it 4.5/5
Old 12th May 2015, 13:30   #2789
BHPian

Watched "Dum Laaga Ke Haisha" and really like it. Agree that the ending was a bit rushed and could have been better but overall a lovely weekend watch.

In addition to what has already been said above - a very special mention for the dialogue, costumes, art and set production team. An absolutely remarkable job! They have caught such nuances in the dialogues, costumes and sets that only a person living in places like Haridwar, Rishikesh, UP, etc will be able to appreciate. Rating a very well deserved 4.5/5.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:33   #2790
BHPian

Piku; What a refreshing movie after a long time. Shoojit Sircar delivers once again. Great acting by amitabh, Irfan. Some scenes in the car are truly great. A subtle message delivered without being too obvious.

A must watch for all the people who dreaded going to the 100 crore club movies in the past few years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks