Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 11:42   #2566
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Queen few days back, definitely one of the better movies in recent times.

For one, there's a certain finesse and nuance that anyone who likes the Anurag Kashyap school of film making will appreciate (No surprise that he's one of the producers). Throughout the movie, things are said and messages put across in a subtle fashion without anyone going over the top, and many stereotypes associated with our movies broken along the way. Watch it and you will understand.

And then there's Kangna . Admittedly I don't like much of what she's done till now, and find her strange diction distracting, even grating. But this time she just nails it with her performance. She manages to elevate the proceedings to a whole new level where the script is pretty straightforward otherwise. The restraint and consistency is such that even her transformation in the second half has no dramatic overtones. You can't help rooting for her in the end

All in all a must watch for anyone who appreciates good hindi cinema.

4/5
Old 15th March 2014, 17:02   #2567
BHPian

I saw two movies within the last 20 hours – both were poles apart in terms of quality and satisfaction. Let me start with the film that was below average:

Bewakoofiyan

I went for this movie because there was no other viable option. One look of the trailer is enough to know the entire story. I have never liked Sonam Kapoor’s work and this movie will also not do anything substantial to propel her acting career upwards. Rishi Kapoor is the only saving grace of this film. Movie is a too long for the content it offers – Music is below average and Ayushman Khurana is also getting boring. Yash Raj studios has produced another underwhelming movie.

Verdict: 1/5. You can easily skip this movie – Watching Queen again is a much better option.

Now,

Queen

I often have arguments with my friends over which movie is good and which one is bad – everyone has their own criteria for judging movies. But if someone asks me for suggesting a ‘good’ Hindi movie – I will, without any hesitation, recommend Queen. This movie is a perfect example of how even a movie with a simple story can keep people happy sitting in the theatres for 2.5 hours. Everything about this movie delivers on every aspect.

Rani aka Queen (Kangana Ranaut) is the heart and soul of this movie. Like many here, I have never been a fan of her work, but you have to give her credit for her fantastic acting. She has shown via this movie that she has tremendous potential to do a good film. Her depiction of a middle class Indian woman was simply fantastic – kudos to the story writers for developing such a role. I cannot think of any other actress who could have done this role with such perfection.

Story is very ordinary yet effective. Music of the movie is quite good – I might not listen to the songs on the I-pod again and again but definitely it blends with the movie very well. Kangana gets majority of the screen time but all other characters have been wonderful in their smaller roles. Roles like her father, her smaller brother and her friends (VijayLakshmi, Taka and Sikander) were perfectly scripted and enacted. The movie highlights plenty of stereotypes present in our society and how sometimes such things prevent people from realizing their true potential. Interacting with people of different cultures/countries can be an enriching experience and sometimes a simple trip can be life changing – Let me stop here and recommend everyone to go and definitely watch this movie. There are plenty of hilarious scenes in the movie and the kind of humor is very different from what we usually see in movies these days.

Verdict: 5/5 - Need I say more?

Last edited by Saanil : 15th March 2014 at 17:10.
Old 15th March 2014, 18:40   #2568
Senior - BHPian

I want to see 'Queen'. Is it watchable with family as I plan to take Mom along?
Old 16th March 2014, 10:09   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Well - I would not mind seeing this movie with my family. I did not find any such thing in the movie but that might just be me - not sure if your family might like it though. Personally I think this movie will make them happy. It is definately not like Murder or Kya Kool hain Hum or Grand Masti
Old 17th March 2014, 02:31   #2570
Distinguished - BHPian

Queen: 4.5/5

It's nice to see the influx of foreign actors in indian movies, and they playing a stellar (supporting) role to our Indian actors. We saw it happen in English Vinglish, now Jeffery Ho & Mish Boyko do it in Queen. Don't know who these are? Taka and Sikandar

Kangana is absolutely brilliant in this movie. Well supported by Rajkumar Yadav, Lisa Haydon and an amazing set of new foreign actors (do note this seems to be their first movie in any language!), the movie is fast paced, and nicely done. Songs are aptly fit without dragging the story at all.
Old 22nd March 2014, 15:11   #2571
Team-BHP Support

+1 to the popular opinion on queen.

A good watch, specially for Kangana Ranaut. I thought she did a good job in 'Fashion' and after a gap- she is back with a bang in Queen.

As someone said- the supporting actors, specially the foreign ones were brilliant additions to the movie. The film is fully banking to the characters Vijaylakshmi, Taka, Alexander and Tim to move the storyline forward- with Kangana acting brilliantly around them.

Enjoyed almost all of the Hindi movies running currently - highway, befakoofiyan (average) & queen.
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:38   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, Went to see Ragini MMS 2 with Paa today afternoon. It's a total waste of time. Sunny just did her part (for what she's known) and rest of the cast does not have much to do except for making poor jokes. Seasoned actors like Divya Dutta, Praveen Dabas and Sandhya Mridul have been wasted. This movie is nothing but a dumb venture!!

Just 1/5 from my end and that too because of the obvious factor i.e Sunny.

Thanks

AD
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:27   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Queen

Kangana Ranaut, Take a bow!!

It will be a severe injustice to the other actors in the movie, specially the foreign ones, but I got to say this "Ms Ranaut carries the movie on her shoulders and she's done a damn good job at that."

Easily one of the most measured performances of this year.

Watch the movie just for Kangana.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:27   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Watched couple of movies in recent past

Queen

A lot has been said about it already. It's indeed a very endearing movie and as rightly said Kangana Ranaut is wonderful in this movie otherwise I normally dont like her nasal high pitched dialogue delivery. She was very restrained and acted well.

Must watch

4/5

Ragini MMS-2

This movie is made just to showcase Sunny Leone and what a way she was shown. Worth every rupee just to watch her on screen. I liked the prequel as it was really horrific and one of those good horror movies. But, this installment was more about sex than about horror

I didnt jump in my seat even once and thats a benchmark for me to like or hate a horror movie. So i hated this movie but, loved it for Sunny Leone and she did some really bold scenes which could have been picturezied for the first time in Bollywood

2.5/5
Old 25th March 2014, 12:09   #2575
Team-BHP Support

Queen - 4.5/5

Fantastic movie! What a performance from Kangana Ranaut who has been typecasted as an alcoholic-drug addict. She will walk away with some accolades this year for sure! Average storyline but realistic and well portrayed by the entire cast. The foreign cast especially. Amit Trivedi's score is pretty good too.

I just loved the movie's climax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
In the second half of the movie, there's a short 2-3 minute sequence inside a sex shop but a rather hilarious one at that! But otherwise, the movie is perfectly fine for family viewing.
Old 27th March 2014, 20:24   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Watched couple of movies

Highway

Silly movie & even sillier screenplay, the director seems to be loosing it every passing movie. The last few minutes try to make up for the flawed storyline but not completely.

Music is great & Aliya Bhatt shows good potential, she has acted very well(most actors did) but i think she will get better.

2.5/5

Queen

Lovely movie, simple storyline, great narration & wonder performances from entire cast & Kangana clearly shines.

Nice songs too

4/5

Yaariyan

If there was ever a movie full of cliches this has got to be it. I like the idea of youth movie with fresh actors but the casting for this movie was really poor.(Watch Mujhse Fraandship karoge to understand what I mean). The direction was below par, i know it was her first movie, Still.

Music though was very good which is not surprising as the movie comes from the largest Music Brand in India

1.5/5
Old 28th March 2014, 10:51   #2577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched couple of movies

Yaariyan

If there was ever a movie full of cliches this has got to be it. I like the idea of youth movie with fresh actors but the casting for this movie was really poor.(Watch Mujhse Fraandship karoge to understand what I mean). The direction was below par, i know it was her first movie, Still.

Music though was very good which is not surprising as the movie comes from the largest Music Brand in India

1.5/5
You are being very generous to 'award' 1.5 to Yaarian. However, last few minutes are to be seen , esp. the 'technique' used by our hero to come down from the mammoth mountain. I wrote about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hread-170.html
Old 28th March 2014, 18:10   #2578
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, Went to see Youngistan today afternoon; In my view this is the 1st movie which shows politics in a light hearted manner. Jackky Bhagnani has done a good job again with his character of the P.M of India. He is well supported by Late Shri Farooq Sheikh sahab and Neha Sharma. In this movie there is not even a single scene of fights or a gun battle which further makes it a good movie to watch.

Best Scene: The "Matka Kulfi" scene.

Best Dialogue: "There is a thin line between Information and Knowledge"-Jackky

I rate it as 4/5

Thanks

AD
Old 28th March 2014, 19:22   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You are being very generous to 'award' 1.5 to Yaarian.
Actually from that 1.5, 1 is for the music & 0.5 for the movie

I completely agree with your review, it was rubbish & i want my time back
Old 29th March 2014, 19:43   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Seasoned actors like Divya Dutta, Praveen Dabas and Sandhya Mridul have been wasted.

AD
OT:
I had read an interview of Parvin Dabas that he really hates being called Praveen. You have offended him

Last edited by rohanjf : 29th March 2014 at 19:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks