Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:53   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I read about The Good Road and it is produced by NFDC. Now, I dont know how many would concur but some of the best movies ever made in these shores were NFDC creations. Movies like Suraj ka saatvan godha, Ek Doctor ki Maut, Jaane bhi do yaaro etc and the likes.

There was a time when the Academy award didnt really matter here in India. But these days, esp for multiplex films (like Lunchbox is) it is good marketing tool to attract junta to the theaters. Probably thats why the makers are making so much of noise about nothing. Otherwise why should a foreign award matter so much?
Yup, I also would like to watch both the movie and then decide. Problem with Bollywood is that they make all normally average or below average movies and mostly the crappy ones become super-hits i.e Dabbang, CE etc. And when they one just above average movie they go all into cloud nine as they have made some movie of the century. This is what the story with Barfi, just an above average movie but touted as if they had made some masterpiece. I'm bit worried after seeing all these noise that even Lunchbox wouldn't be different (won't mind being proved wrong but I'm kinda sure that won't be the case)..

The movie Lunchbox is targeted as multiplex audience, i.e. the audience who are kind of exposed to hollywood and Oscars. So obviously gaining Oscar entry would create more interest and so more footfalls. And if not Oscar entry then a controversy related to Oscar also helps. I guess it's simple business calculation.
Old 4th October 2013, 19:39   #2447

Well, thank you very much for reviewing Besharam. Been quite disappointed with the spate of movies on these past few weeks. I don't remember seeing anything good post BMB.

Also disheartened that apart from being bad, the movies are also proving to be expensive!

The mindlessness of a masala flick (the only reason I see one is to be able to completely switch off) is still no respite.

Sigh! Missing the good ol days of Fukrey, :(
Old 5th October 2013, 11:15   #2448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Problem with Bollywood is that they make all normally average or below average movies and mostly the crappy ones become super-hits i.e Dabbang, CE etc. And when they one just above average movie they go all into cloud nine as they have made some movie of the century. This is what the story with Barfi, just an above average movie but touted as if they had made some masterpiece.
Completely agree with your views. All they believe here is to make a candy-floss which can appeal to general people; but I guess that is changing very rapidly now. For that matter, I cannot take any such movie anymore...I tried watching Yeh Jawani hai deewani last week, but could not advance for more than 30-40 mins. Barfi was another movie that I disliked: one for plagiarization and two, the makers making too much noise about it which certainly it did not deserve. Amazed that it made to the Oscars!
BMB comes as real respite from all this rubbish. Waiting for some stuff in the same league...wait looks long.
Old 5th October 2013, 17:27   #2449
BHPian

Agree with Lunchbox reviwes.Boringtill death.Unwanted sidetracks.Has anyone notice number of producers which come in the begining ? BA pass was far far better.
Old 5th October 2013, 19:41   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Besharam created a record of opening in maximum theatres ever in movie history. Well, that seems to be the mantra to get investors money back and fooling people with attractive ad campaigns is only way to lure people to theatres.

This movie seemed like an advertisment for Merc B Class and Showing the Delhi roads ( which seems to be the in-thing these days)

FINAL WARNING : Cancel if you have already bought the tickets.

0/5 ( It gives me pleasure to rate this movie zero and not negative as i beileve in being generous)
+1 to the above review. Can not agree with you more. The senior RK and Neetu Singh haev been absolutely wasted in their roles. Both father son duo have tried entertaining the ladies by showing some of their skins

There were enough giggling from the ladies when RK Jr shows some of his cracks. I happened to go to the theater with 5 of my cousins ( all girls) and all of them are crazy about RK Jr and no wonder they loved the movie.
Old 5th October 2013, 22:28   #2451
BHPian

Did not watch Besharam after reading all the negative reviews. One thing more which I hate about this movie.

When it released, almost all multiplexes started showing 10+ shows of the damn movie. The result was all the other films (English/Hindi/Regional) have much fewer shows since Wednesday, 2nd October. This also probably resulted in Rush (which had shows in 5-7 theatres), being reduced to almost zero shows.

Heck, even Lunchbox, which was running successfully, had to severely curtail its shows (just in the 3rd week).

Really, a completely Besharam distribution.
Old 5th October 2013, 23:36   #2452
BHPian

Why did Aryabhatta discover zero? So that I can rate Besharam
Old 7th October 2013, 18:40   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Completely agree with your views. All they believe here is to make a candy-floss which can appeal to general people; but I guess that is changing very rapidly now. For that matter, I cannot take any such movie anymore...I tried watching Yeh Jawani hai deewani last week, but could not advance for more than 30-40 mins. Barfi was another movie that I disliked: one for plagiarization and two, the makers making too much noise about it which certainly it did not deserve. Amazed that it made to the Oscars!
BMB comes as real respite from all this rubbish. Waiting for some stuff in the same league...wait looks long.
Exactly. And don't even get me started on Yeh Jawaani, complete piece of useless bovine excreta and I really wanted to wring the neck of the friend who suggested me that movie. But seems like it's these mindless movies which are creating flutter in the box office. And sadly we have been put thru the torture of one after another release such stinkers.

Bhaag Milkha was a decent movie, although they might have over-dramatized a few things (theatrical liberty I guess), but still a watchable movie.

BTW, guys, have you people heard of the PVR Director's rare initiative? They are playing some off-beat movies (mostly regional), which have been lauded for cinematic brilliance and I think it's a nice initiative. Hope to catch up some good movies during this initiative.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:19   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Watched Besharam

As others said its an insult to one's intelligence, even if you keep your brains out, its still annoying.

For those wondering why did the Kapoors did it, I guess the reason could be similar to why the Bacchans did Jhoom Barabar Jh0om & Bunty or Bubli(Only Jaya Bachhan was Wiser). Infact for a moment i thought that Besharam was directed by Shaad Ali, such is his legacy.
Old 7th October 2013, 23:20   #2455
Team-BHP Support

In other news, Grand Masti crosses the 100 Crore mark !

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entert...1-1131996.aspx
Old 8th October 2013, 10:07   #2456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
In other news, Grand Masti crosses the 100 Crore mark !

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entert...1-1131996.aspx
Not shocking at all! The omen was on...If Chennai Express is India's highest grossing movie, then there is seriously something wrong with us
Old 8th October 2013, 12:29   #2457
Senior - BHPian

I saw Grand Masti the day it released at a multiplex in Vashi. It was a 5 pm show and many seats were empty. How do these movies cross Rs.100 crores? I mean can you do it by flooding multiplex's with hundred's of prints and cash in the maximum returns within the first weekend to hit the 100 crore target? Even if that's how it's done, the fact still remains that many seats on the day the movie released were empty. So how do they do it?! Or is this another instance of paying off the media to get favourable reports about your product?
Old 8th October 2013, 15:22   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I saw Grand Masti the day it released at a multiplex in Vashi. It was a 5 pm show and many seats were empty. How do these movies cross Rs.100 crores? I mean can you do it by flooding multiplex's with hundred's of prints and cash in the maximum returns within the first weekend to hit the 100 crore target? Even if that's how it's done, the fact still remains that many seats on the day the movie released were empty. So how do they do it?! Or is this another instance of paying off the media to get favourable reports about your product?
By charging >300 bucks for all evening shows on weekends. PVR, Cinemax, Fame, INOX - all multiplexes actually. The morning shows are cheap and are generally full. Of course there might be other sources of revenues too. If you want to calculate, consider one screen with just 100 seats and assume it charges Rs 350 per ticket. Assume that it manages to have 95% attendance in the each show for 4-5 shows on Saturday and Sunday. I am just laying down the assumptions for you. Note that this would be for one screen. Assume total amount of screens (Cinemax + PVR + etc) for all cities. This would give you the multiplex revenue. Single screen theaters can also be estimated using such assumptions.
Old 8th October 2013, 15:51   #2459
Senior - BHPian

In general, I think we cannot discount the possibility that some of the collection exists only on "paper". The news could just be hype created by the people associated with the movie - bragging rights - it benefits the director and main artists associated with the movie. At worst, collections may be overstated to turn some black money to white (not saying this is the case with Grand Masti).
Old 8th October 2013, 16:38   #2460
BHPian

I did not watch Besharam after reading the reviews here and on the radio. Not that I was excited with Abhinav Kashyap making another film. (Maybe he can learn a thing or two from his Brother). I could not believe this is the same guy who was involved in Yuva.

The last good Hindi Movie I saw was BMB.

Lunchbox for me was an okay movie. Loved the part of Nawazuddin Siddiqui. He is turning out to be a fab actor.

As Avi has said - I am disgusted with theatres pulling out good movies due to these over the top releases. I missed movies such as Kick Ass 2 & Descpicable Me 2 due to this. Kick Ass 2 was removed in just 1 week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks