Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 00:17   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

D2L watches SINGHAM. And wants only half of his money back. Reason to follow.

And the men are Back. Yes. That's what the full qualified name of Singham should be.

SINGHAM- Men are Back.

And the winner is: Prakash Raj

This movie is the latest installment in the series of ultra macho movies to hit the theaters recently.

A trend pioneered by Sallu Mian's Wanted, Dabanng and Ready.

And hopefully this trend will spell an end to spate of gay/chick flicks unleashed on poor average Indian men by Karan Johar and the company. The pinnacle of which of course was Saif in his Pink shirt wearing Metrosexual avtaar in the movie "Salaam Namaste"

"Gone with the winds" is indeed that weepy Hero whose sole reason for existence was to woo ladies.
Or to fight cancer. And Die.
Or to fight with an old (unwilling to retire!!) guy on the issues of "Parampara" and "Maryada".

Not that Bollywood does not have an action department.
Yeah there are Deol brothers. But that spice is missing. Onion based Punjabi cuisine to blame maybe.

SRK is coming up with an action flick "Ra.One". But with the visuals of an action figure "getting petted on cheek like a dog" does not bode well for a super hero film.

We are tired of smooth silky bland continental food.
We want pure sharp pungent masala and loads and heaps of it.

And Singham gives plenty of that.

Of course it is a bit difficult to accept Ajay Devgan in this role. What a change!! From the mature and stern inspector in "GangaJal" to "Roaring Lion" in Singham.

"Meri zarooratien kam hai, islye mere zameer mein dum hai".

Its as if Ajay is asking the viewers to get rid of (or scratch out) that earlier image.
Otherwise who can explain that weird "cross hand air scratching" in that intro sequence. I felt sorry for Ajay at that point. Damn the "Paapi pet ka sawal". Ganesh the dance director needs to stop eating or sniffing or smoking whatever he is.

But once that intial shock is over Ajay actually carries the movie well on his "well worked out" shoulders.

Kajal plays her role well but we do miss a high pitch chirpy voice that the babes in Southern movies sport. She is rightly sidelined throughout the movie. Again a usual thing in ultra macho movies. Not that we are complaining.
But she is looking delicious in those low waist sarees and we want more of it.

Action is of course over the top. The dreamy eyed Kajal watching Ajay making a mash of goons is a solid proof of the Darwin theory : "Only strongest will be able to further their genes".

And yes, the biggest blooper of it all.
Its Night. Singham to all police officers: "I have only 11 hrs left to finish off the Sirke, the goon. I am going to do the same. Alone". And marches off. Singham style.

Expecting action in the next frame?

Cut to next scene. Singham doing timepass with Kajal near riverbed. Sick.

Ajay carries the film well on his shoulders only to hand it over on a platter to Prakash Raj, who in my opinion lapped up all the cream.

They tried to make a caricature of him in the later part of movie. But he manages to steal the show with his superb comical dialouges and timing.

Why I want half of my money back?

The villian deserved a better see off. Way better.
Heck the whole film deserved a better ending.

So should you go an watch the movie?

Yeah. If you have nothing else to do.

Rating: 2/5

Last edited by download2live : 24th July 2011 at 00:22.
download2live is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 08:58   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Singham

I didn't see any trailer of the movie nor did i read the story. My friend watched it and recommended me. I had no expectation from the movie. But surprisingly it turned out to be decent fair.

First thing first. Watch it at single screen with friends. Its a mass entertainer and i can guarantee plenty of 'sitis' and 'taalis' (whistle & claps) from mass crowd. This is directly aimed at them. And it succeeds.

Story is good, takes time to come to the point, but once there its good. The screenplay is taught and as seen before, very good cat and mouse game. The dialogues are clap worthy at places and i can only imagine the situation at single screen. Needless to say, its another Wanted, Dabbang in making, the only difference being Ajay Devgan instead of Sallu.

I didn't like any songs. But if it had couple of good songs it would have attracted even more public. Too much action, so not a complete family movie. Cinematography is decent. As with every Rohit Shetty film, there are plenty of slow-mo action scenes and plenty of cars being thrown around.

The debutante actress is ok. She has nothing much to do so this is not a great stage for debut. Ajay Devgan and Prakash Raj are the pillars of movie. Both excel in one-man-up-man-ship and makes the film bearable. Ajay Devgan is quite a fit for this role though i would have preferred Salman, but then it would have been too much to handle what with upcoming Bodyguard and Dabangg gone by. I would like to specially mention Prakash Raj as scene steal-er in many places. But he is getting type casted in this kinda role - a negative role with comic timing. I like it but it may become overdose soon.

Overall, a good one time watch.

4.5/5
Old 25th July 2011, 11:06   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Watched the much anticipated "Singham".

Men are back. And how! Loved Ajay Devgn's acting. Prakash Raj was brilliant as usual. Story as such is ok. So are the action sequence's. Well its a Rohit Shetty movie. What more can you expect! Cars flying around is a given.

One thing I would like to point out is, to enjoy (and understand) the movie completely, you would need to know some basic Marathi. Specially the slangs!

P.S: To enjoy the movie to its fullest, try and catch a show in one of those old school single screen theater's. Trust me, the fun is entirely different!
Old 26th July 2011, 09:03   #1654
BANNED

Watched READY yesterday night

The movie is Hilarious

There are stray scenes which are PJ and Overdone, but the movie will keep you in splits throughout.

Raasleela and Dhinka Chikka are the only 2 songs to watch. Neatly casted (sometimes i feel its Overcasted)

Salman Khan at his Comic best.

Rating - 9/10
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindi Movies Thread-salmankhanreadywallpaper.jpg  

Old 27th July 2011, 08:57   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
D

And yes, the biggest blooper of it all.
Its Night. Singham to all police officers: "I have only 11 hrs left to finish off the Sirke, the goon. I am going to do the same. Alone". And marches off. Singham style.

Expecting action in the next frame?

Cut to next scene. Singham doing timepass with Kajal near riverbed. Sick.
I watched the movie yesterday and that scene was bad . Badly shot too . All the police vehicles arriving suddenly and then everyone parking their vehicles in a very organized manner . Plus half of the vehicles were black , half of them white , what the hell !!!

The police enter Prakash Rajs house at night and he doesnt even know until he sees them . These guys are better than SWAT . In and Out and no one knows . These guys should have been sent to kill Osama , the world would have never known .

And the villain , wow , that guy had a liking for walking fast . Does power make you walk fast ??? .. mind you when I say Power , I dont mean physical power , I mean political power .

The movie was ok ok . One time watch if acceptable .
Old 27th July 2011, 11:04   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread

Saw ZNMD yesterday. 3/5 - Aisha for Men and DCH in a different way. Of course it had its fun moments - loved Farhan and Abhay's roles

The characters werent really fleshed out - Hrithik/Kareena's romance left me stumped. I mean why? But chalo theek hai - they made a checklist and got them hitched.

There were too many bloopers:
a. Abhay Deol obviously can't shoot to save his life. He was clicking it in Auto mode. Why else will you have the flash on inside the car (notice the initial shots in the LandRover?) but not outside?
Even the closing shots - the crop with him + the couple is too close to have been taken by an 18-55 held a minor distance away from the face. Doesn't happen that ways.

b. That shot before the intermission where they approach that lake with a viaduct leading onto a pump house. on their right. Then in the next frame, its on their left and they are speeding onward. Clearly, they just took a U turn there instead of going onward as the images would have you believe.

c. I know its fiction but the pamplona running of the bulls happens in July while the Bunol is held on the last Wednesday of August. Chronology FAIL.

But theek hai, good Fox guide on "What to do in Spain"

PS: Interesting that Singham is getting so much love on this thread. Looks too far the usual cliched fare of honest cop + flying scorpios + dishonest politician story. 4.5 stars is excessive by most calculations, unless on a 10 point scale

Last edited by phamilyman : 27th July 2011 at 11:22.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:34   #1657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The characters werent really fleshed out - Hrithik/Kareena's romance left me stumped. I mean why? But chalo theek hai - they made a checklist and got them hitched.
You meant Katrina, Ofcourse. How can someone mistake the gorgeous Katrina for Kareena for god's sake
Old 27th July 2011, 14:42   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Yeah yeah, katrina is all I meant. The romance was so checklist/formula based ki you can see my boredom overall. but yes, the movie is definitely worth a watch for the beautiful vistas of spain.

in the old times, people wrote good script - picturization was decent. nowadays its breathtaking visuals but completely standard lines being marroed - by katrina, no less!!

Farhan had some good lines in the movie, as did Abhay to an extent. Hrithik's main job was to look busy and look screwed up and then look lost in love. and yes, make sure his hair is blowing in the wind/water etc!

Last edited by phamilyman : 27th July 2011 at 14:45.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:45   #1659
Senior - BHPian

I saw ZNMD two nights back and was amazed that even in its 2nd week its drawing crowds during weekday late night shows. I guess its all about marketing/packaging than the actual content.

And I agree to Hitanshu's comment on Abhay Deol's photography. No half decent photographer uses the flash and secondly Abhay seems to holding the DSLR as if its a P&S.

Furthermore half the time the guys are shown to be driving on the left of the road unlike the right which they should be doing in a LHD country.

Anyways its a one time watch but definitely not in the same league as DCH!
Old 28th July 2011, 07:35   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I saw ZNMD two nights back and was amazed that even in its 2nd week its drawing crowds during weekday late night shows. I guess its all about marketing/packaging than the actual content.
oh its a good one time watch so chalta hai.

The show was housefull on Monday (atleast 10+ junta came after the show had started and asked for tickets) and only on tuesday I got a ticket - that too because I was watching it alone (wife/kid at inlaws') else it was sold out again !!
Old 28th July 2011, 08:13   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Watched a few Hindi movies over the last month

ZNMD - Splendid locales, decent acting, but all in all a good movie. If only Hrithik did his dialogues in a less dramatic way, and if only the lead actresses could speak proper hindi (their acting IMO was fine) - this would have been even better. 3.5/5.

Delhi Belly - Pulling off a film with adult humor is no easy task in India - and this film has done it. There in lies its success. Good use of songs and music. Good stuff by the relatively unknown Kunal roy Kapoor, Vir Das and Poorna Jagannathan 4/5.

Pyaar ka punchnama - My reaction in facebook was 'its not only a movie, its a biography, its an eyeopener, its a guidebook, its like discovery channel!! guys who have still managed to remain single (and who are lamenting on not being so) - ITS A MUST WATCH !!!' - I must give it 5/5. Not for very high class of movie making, but for the superb treatment of the subject.

Last edited by blackasta : 28th July 2011 at 08:14.
Old 29th July 2011, 12:47   #1662
t18
BHPian

Old Hindi Classics

Brothers I need your help procuring the following Hindi Classics :
1) Parvarish - Raj Kapoor.
2) Dil Hi Toh Hai - Raj Kapoor.
3) Manchali - Sanjeev Kumar.
4) Tumsa Nahi Dekha - Shammi Kapoor.

Where can I buy these online or a shop in Mumbai.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:22   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Saw ZNMD yesterday. 3/5 - Aisha for Men and DCH in a different way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I saw ZNMD two nights back and was amazed that even in its 2nd week its drawing crowds during weekday late night shows.

Anyways its a one time watch but definitely not in the same league as DCH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
ZNMD - Splendid locales, decent acting, but all in all a good movie. 3.5/5.
How I love this forum !! Looks like the tastes are prefectly in sync with mine. My friend told me that ZNMD is the BEST movie so far and so on, but I felt its just a ONE TIME watch. And here I have pretty much the same views & even my ratings too ! In my FB status update for the review, I had written that DCH is by far a much better movie too.

I felt the first half was really good, but second half was quite slow. And looked like they got a good sponsorship from the Spain tourism too for covering all those attractions, too much focus on those.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th July 2011 at 21:24.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:52   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Watched Delhi Belly and ZNMD.

ZMND, is a nice one time watch. Farhaan akthar quite has evolved as an actor. Some things are just so cliche.

Delhi Belly. A brillliantly made movie. All actors played their part well. Cinematography is excellent.
In that faeces scene, you can literally smell the thingy when its closeup is shown on the screen.
How did Amir and his wife get hold of that lady. She is utterly brilliant.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:36   #1665
Distinguished - BHPian

Singham starring Ajay Devgn and Prakash Raj

Saw this movie last night and what a movie it was. Brilliant in a totally paisa vasool and masala quotient way.

The movie begins on a stumbling note and almost till 20 minutes into the movie I squirmed and was not enjoying it as I felt it was a bit boring but, after that the direction, narration and action grips you by the throat and grabs your eye ball till the last scene of the movie.

Like all said, its not an experimental movie but, a pure entertainer for masses and it does entertain in superior way.

Ajay Devgn was outstanding in this role and as each movie passes he is surpassing himself in every way and adding feathers to his already studded cap.

Prakash Raj was no less than brilliant. AD and PR fighting for glory in every confrontation scene and you dont know who is better. That says a lot about this brilliant actor who is known to always give stellar performances. His character is etched out with heavy doses of comic apart from equally venomous intent. Great built up of this character. Otherwise, the villains are either hardcore villians or comic caricature

Sachin Khedkar was superb in his short role and brought quite a few laughs with his mobile phone ringtone " Dinka Chika Dinka Chika"...LOL

Kajal Agarwal the newest import from Tollywood was refreshing, confident and looked and acted a lot like Genelia D'Souza. Though she didnt a meaty role

Some of the regular characters of Rohit Shetty were part of this movie and did justice to movie.

Rohit Shetty is a people's man and not an accentric film maker like e.g : SLB and he knows the pulse of the people just like Ekta Kapoor knows and they dole out good entertainment provided you dont act smart and pick loopholes into their movie making style. Having seen a few of his interviews, he seems to be humble, soft spoken and great guy.

The weakest link to this movie was not a single hummable tune. What a waste. Had this movie a couple of hit songs. It would have taken it to an altogether different level.

Some of the action scenes are really over the top and can give indigestion to the strongest of stomachs.

E.G 1: AD stops the scorpio with its wheel turned right and even before the car stops, he steps out and starts shooting with car moving in background. All of this in slow motion

E.G 2: There is a car flying over the head of AD and Ajay simply reaches out and pulls the driver out grabbing his shirt front.

Overall, a MUST 1-2 times watch if you like delicious masala with your grub ( errr...movies)

3.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks