Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-65.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1460788)
Saw the trailer of 'Final Destination 4' Rest in Pieces. It appears to be the most gory of the series and whats more its in 3D. Releasing this Friday. Sounds exciting.

Wow, you mean releasing in theatres here in India? I can't wait

I loved FD-2 the best. FD1 was next and FD-3 was kind of a repitition. Hope they add some twists to the story instead of the same number gaming:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1460845)
Wow, you mean releasing in theatres here in India? I can't wait

I loved FD-2 the best. FD1 was next and FD-3 was kind of a repitition. Hope they add some twists to the story instead of the same number gaming:)

Yep thats right. Releasing in India on Friday the 4th od Sept in 3D.

P.S. : I love you

Based on a book of the same name, this movie would have been a good watch if it didnt try a little too hard to tug at your heart.

Movie deals with a couple who lead a happy life, till one day the guy loses his life to an illness. Realizing how much he is not loved by his MIL, and the difficulties his girl would have adjusting without him, he prepares a list to activities for her through mails/notes which he has addressed to her, delivered by different people they know.

He tries to get her back on track, and finding love besides himself.

Bennyboy Rating : **1/2

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-ps20i20love20you.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkd
Thick as thieves: 4/5

Wow! what a plot ! Samuel L Jackson an old art

Its a Morgan Freeman, Jk!

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1460861)
P.S. : I love you

Based on a book of the same name, this movie would have been a good watch if it didnt try a little too hard to tug at your heart.

Movie deals with a couple who lead a happy life, till one day the guy loses his life to an illness. Realizing how much he is not loved by his MIL, and the difficulties his girl would have adjusting without him, he prepares a list to activities for her through mails/notes which he has addressed to her, delivered by different people they know.

He tries to get her back on track, and finding love besides himself.

Bennyboy Rating : **1/2

Attachment 183605

The movie was ok, wifey loved it though, all mushy mushy and weeping hehehe. But the Scot locations took my breath away, specially the different colours of nature when Hillary Swank sets out walking in the countryside with Butler following her in the flashback scene when they meet for the first time. That beautiful location is etched in my memory, carved in my heart and would like to visit The Highlands once in this lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilkalvani (Post 1460925)
The movie was ok, wifey loved it though, all mushy mushy and weeping hehehe. But the Scot locations took my breath away, specially the different colours of nature when Hillary Swank sets out walking in the countryside with Butler following her in the flashback scene when they meet for the first time. That beautiful location is etched in my memory, carved in my heart and would like to visit The Highlands once in this lifetime.

Rightly said! The Irish countryside really makes you want to visit the place sometime.

My wife had just read the book a few days before she watched the movie. She liked the book, but the creative liberties taken for the movie didnt go down well with her, e.g. the lack of a supportive family and so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1460788)
Saw the trailer of 'Final Destination 4' Rest in Pieces. It appears to be the most gory of the series and whats more its in 3D. Releasing this Friday. Sounds exciting.

Saw the movie on Saturday in 3D. Would have loved to watch this in IMAX 3D, but it didn't release there, saw it at Century Theaters Real 3D.

Its very good. worth a watch. new ways of defining death. a couple of deaths are repeated from the previous series, but some are very innovative deaths. the sequence at speedway stands out and so does the one in multiplex(the escalator scene).

A definite one time watch. Just for the thrills.

Before Sunset

If there were a fitting sequel to a fantastic first part of a movie, this should take the cake (T2 guys, don't rip me).

And what an end to the story! A great job by the actors and the director in particular. These two will go down as my all time fav romantic movies. Classic I must say!

Just watch em both!

Rating - 5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVH (Post 1462074)
Before Sunset

If there were a fitting sequel to a fantastic first part of a movie, this should take the cake (T2 guys, don't rip me).

And what an end to the story! A great job by the actors and the director in particular. These two will go down as my all time fav romantic movies. Classic I must say!

Just watch em both!

Rating - 5/5

It's not that i told you so but.... i told you so! Man wasn't it one hell of a movie! I have ordered the DVD's from my sisters in the US, whoever comes first has to get me the Two CD Box. Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy were just made for these two movies me thinks. FYI the director is Richard Linklater who made another fabulous movie "The School of Rock" * Jack Black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilkalvani (Post 1462183)
It's not that i told you so but.... i told you so! Man wasn't it one hell of a movie! I have ordered the DVD's from my sisters in the US, whoever comes first has to get me the Two CD Box. Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy were just made for these two movies me thinks. FYI the director is Richard Linklater who made another fabulous movie "The School of Rock" * Jack Black.

You bet! What an awesome time one can have when one is watching the movie! In fact both.

I really liked the way the movie ends - Julie dancing slowly to the tune, Ethan watching and smiling at her both of them knowing very well his flight will be missed:D

Hmmm, let me see where can I lay my hands on School of Rock now;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVH (Post 1462269)
You bet! What an awesome time one can have when one is watching the movie! In fact both.

I really liked the way the movie ends - Julie dancing slowly to the tune, Ethan watching and smiling at her both of them knowing very well his flight will be missed:D

Exactly! But you never know what happened when the movie ends. There are so many possibilities, did he leave to go back to his family the next day? Did he just finally stay back with her forever? If yes, did their relationship last? Man, imagine if they make another one!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1437284)
I caught this movie on Star Movies last night.
Attachment 176175

The Condemned (2007)

Ok, so the acting is BAD. The story is predictable. The Camera work shoddy and the special effects not so great.

BUT
This movie is GOOD.
10 condemned awaiting death prisoners are picked up by a Director of a reality show. They are placed on an island.
This show will be on the Internet. Subscribers will get to watch the 10 kill themselves. The survivor will be set free and get a cash reward.
All the convicts are wearing a gps tracker and it will explode if removed. So what happens to the convicts. Do they survive or kill each other.

Watched this last nite.
+1 to above review.
I enjoyed it thoroughly.:)

Rating- 3.5/5

These aren't new movies, but I loved them for their concept/theme.

Gattacca - humans in the future, gene selection
Great Expections
Lord Of War - Nicolas Cage as an arms dealer
Equilibrium - Christian Bale as an LE officer in a morally policed society

Movies/books that I'm told are great and have on my see-list before I die :
One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest
A Clockwork Orange
The Animal Farm ( a book, no movie AFAIK )
and Ayn Rand's books

I watched Red Cliff (Parts I and II back to back) last weekend. The movies were in Chinese and English subtitles were available. John Woo (of Face/Off fame) is the director of this war epic of ancient China. The movie has some stunning visuals and special effects. In addition to the technical finesse, the story too is capable of holding one's interest till the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilkalvani (Post 1460925)
The movie was ok, wifey loved it though, all mushy mushy and weeping hehehe.

I have the rare ability to watch both chic movies as well as action movies. Even repeatedly.

If you give me a choice between Sleepless in Seattle and Saving Private Ryan to watch for the Nth time, I'll be torn by the decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo (Post 1391721)
There's this little jig that Meg Ryan does by the sea side after wrecking her ex boyfriend's romance, it is extremely disjointed and completely out of rhythm, but I fell in love with her for it.

She does that Meg Ryan copyrighted dance in every movie, well almost.

Talking about Meg Ryan, I was recently seeing Kate & Leopold for the Nth time and something suddenly occurred to me as the titles rolled up.

When Leopold announces the bride as Kate McKay, you can see his properly bred uncle stunned into bewildered silence. All this time I thought it was due to mere confusion looking at the unknown bride. The scriptwriters had lot more subtlety than I had given credit for.

1) Formal annoucement was made using her common or shorten name. Going by 19th century courtesy among nobles, she should have been announced as Katherine McKay. Ok, may be this can be overlooked.
2) This is a big one. McKay is an Irish surname. An English duke marrying an common Irish girl would be a major scandal in the late 19th century. The uncle has grounds to die of heart attack.:D