Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2024, 22:15   #9706
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Vengeance (2022) - Netflix : 4/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-vengeance_2022_film.jpg

Found this movie while scrolling through the recommendations and it was superb!

A western noir mystery/investigation/drama set in Texas. Not a thriller, but very gripping and enjoyable movie.
Beautiful cinematography, great acting, very very nice dialogues and well structured story telling. Oh and good songs/sound track too.

The story revolves around an aspiring writer/podcaster who travels to attend the funeral of his girlfriend (briefly) and forced to join her brother to avenge her murder (alleged).

If you are into movies with western backdrops, great dialogues, slow investigative narratives, family drama etc, give it a go.
Asish_VK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 11:36   #9707
Senior - BHPian

Hanna (2011, Netflix)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/

"A sixteen-year-old girl who was raised by her father to be the perfect assassin is dispatched on a mission across Europe, tracked by a ruthless intelligence agent and her operatives."

With a 6.7 rating on imdb with 200k votes, had high expectations for this movie. But alas, it had scratching my head as to how on Earth was it rated that high!

One mess of a movie.

2/5
Old 17th August 2024, 13:49   #9708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hanna (2011, Netflix)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/

"A sixteen-year-old girl who was raised by her father to be the perfect assassin is dispatched on a mission across Europe, tracked by a ruthless intelligence agent and her operatives."

With a 6.7 rating on imdb with 200k votes, had high expectations for this movie. But alas, it had scratching my head as to how on Earth was it rated that high!

One mess of a movie.

2/5
If you can, see the series based on it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6932244...tt_sims_tt_i_1

It is infinitely more entertaining, but in all fairness I saw the movie in the theatre and quite enjoyed it. But then I'm partial to Eric Bana, and to the great cinematography. It was more of a character/mood film than a thriller.

Last edited by Evyas : 17th August 2024 at 13:51. Reason: Link addition
Old 21st August 2024, 18:27   #9709
Senior - BHPian

The Union

Streaming: Netflix

A classic case of a movie with a good start but turned out to be a damp squib at the end. The movie till half time is good with some good one liners and then the film is stretched to a point that the watcher snaps and waits for the movie to just end. Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry looks so jaded and aged for the roles. Rest of the cast is just there to complete the movie. Can be avoided if anything more interesting is available.

Rating: 2/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2024, 10:08   #9710
Distinguished - BHPian

Sleeping Dogs - 3.5/5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8542964/

Streaming: Lionsgate Play(via Amazon Prime)

A good movie from Russell Crowe after a long time, this one is a thriller but a slow paced one. The story is engaging and rest of the cast have done a good job as well.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd August 2024 at 10:09.
Old 22nd August 2024, 13:42   #9711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The Union

Streaming: Netflix

A classic case of a movie with a good start but turned out to be a damp squib at the end. The movie till half time is good with some good one liners and then the film is stretched to a point that the watcher snaps and waits for the movie to just end. Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry looks so jaded and aged for the roles. Rest of the cast is just there to complete the movie. Can be avoided if anything more interesting is available.

Rating: 2/5
Saw this a couple of days back, was so disappointed! Weird from getting picked up by his teacher from a night onwards.

Whats an Oscar winner like Halle Berry doing there and has Apple lost the plot?
Old 23rd August 2024, 08:13   #9712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
I’ll still remember Shyamalan for the greatest low-key superhero movie ever made - Unbreakable, one of my all time favourites. The rest I’ll forget I think.
"The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable " were phenomenal movies. I admit I actually liked "Signs" as well. Everything else was just downhill from there, including the snoozefest called "Knock at the Cabin". Sad to hear "Trap" is also along the same line. I hope he can deliver one last blockbuster sometime before he retires, but I don't have much hope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks