Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2024, 20:21   #9601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
The Blue Angels
Amazon prime.
5/5 easily. I liked it more than Top Gun Maverick.
Didn't know something like this existed. Thanks for sharing. I shall watch it soon!

Blue Angels are a treat to watch and star attraction of many airshows. Attaching a picture I took of them from Seattle airshow 2023.
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-p8076029.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:06   #9602
Senior - BHPian

ATLAS on Netflix - 3/5

I look forward to the day when an A.I will make me a good cup of coffee! That's we mostly think of, what A.I can do for us. This movie goes a step further than Will Smith's I.Robot and explores how badly A.I can turn against humanity should we not have contingencies well in advance as we hand over more and more tasks to A.I.

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:57   #9603
BHPian

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008)

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008) touched me very deeply. Though it is kind of holocaust movie, but at the same time it is about the friendship between two 8 years old boys Bruno and Shmuel. The friendship that gets developed on one side of extermination camp fence and the other side.

What really struck me about this movie was the sense of innocence that permeates throughout. Despite the darkness of the subject, it is not loud.

Shmuel is prisoner and Bruno the son of the prison's officer, develops friendship.

If you happen to watch it, your heart will surely melt down and make you weep...

Overall, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is a movie that will touch your heart and leave you with a sense of hope and humanity. It is a must-see film that will stay with you long after you've finished watching it.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-theboyinthestripedpyjamas.jpg  

Last edited by satya_ip : 3rd June 2024 at 11:58. Reason: Missed some parts earlier.
satya_ip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 19:34   #9604
Senior - BHPian

Atlas on Netflix 2/5

Run of the mill sci-fi movie with AI at its core. There is a good AI and a bad AI in it and they fight, that is all you need to know.

Laughable dialogues, plot holes, okay-CGI, mediocre acting by JLo per usual sum this movie up.

Surprisingly, I had a few chuckles at the good AI's retorts to JLo. Literally the only saving grace in this movie. Otherwise completely forgettable movie just like many other current crop of generic sci-fi movies gracing Netflix.

Watch it only because Netflix is going to shove it in your face for next few weeks as soon as you open the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya_ip View Post
[h3]
If you happen to watch it, your heart will surely melt down and make you weep...
Guaranteed to make everyone in the room cry. My eyes quickly become wet so its nothing special, but most stout viewers will be crying too.
IMO its a 5/5 movie but reserve it for that special day.

Last edited by amol4184 : 3rd June 2024 at 19:40. Reason: extra quote added
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 13:57   #9605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Saw The Burial
It's a good court room drama based on true incidents.
The multi-talented Jamie Foxx can come out loud and over the top for some but that is exactly what I like about him.

Saw the movie.
Good recommendation.
Loved watching it
The Pianist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 19:26   #9606
BHPian

There will be blood - on prime
4/5

A dark movie around an oil/silver prospector played by Daniel Day Lewis.
It shows the grit, the single mindedness needed to succeed. It also show the loss of humanity in the man as greed takes over.
Daniel Day brings the character of daniel plainview to life and how!
whitewing is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 22:26   #9607
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Boys-Ride or Die
In-Theatre
4/5

Bad Boys are getting old but, they refuse to let go of their “Mojo”. This movie is such a refreshing change from the constant disaster or sci-fi movies that Hollywood churns out which come and go without even a whimper.

Yeah, Yeah, the story is a bit lame but, humor and mostly believable action makes up for the lack of a good storyline.

Martin Lawrence did what he does best. Keep us in splits (we were a group and all had a fantastic laugh after a while) and Will Smith was flexing his muscles even at his age, the dude is super fit.

Movie at a run-time of less than 2-hour which is the best length for movies with amazing humor (Every dialogue Martin utters is going to make you grin) clubbed with typical Bad Boys action is a match made in Hollywood heaven.

Porsche 911 Turbo and gorgeous Miami locales add to the overall oomph.

The fabulous Rhea Seahorn (Better Call Saul) was wasted as if you step out to get popcorn, you will miss seeing her on screen.

Overall, a fantastic watch and recommend this to be seen on big screen.

Cheers to Bad Boys- Now I feel like going to Miami to check out how they are doin’…
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 23:01   #9608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
There will be blood - on prime
4/5
I remember watching this movie with absolutely no idea on what it was about.

When I saw the time, over an hour had elapsed and I was so completely engrossed in it.

It is an excellent movie and everything in it is top notch.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 02:33   #9609
Senior - BHPian

Role Play on Prime 4/5

Although rated lower on IMDB, it was a good watch.
Its about a female assassin whose line of work gets exposed to her husband, it has that comic element to it.
Old 17th June 2024, 03:15   #9610
Senior - BHPian

Long flights = lots of movies.

Below are what I ended up seeing on my trip to US.

Beekeeper

Typical Jason Statham action movie. The weak plotline is just a reason to stick together many 'one-man-kill-'em-all' fight sequences. Seems like the actions scene's where made first and then the story sprinkled along in between.

Nothing to write home about though. one time watch.
3/5

The Departed
Classic Martin Scorsese movie which, I suspect, most here have seen anyway since it originally released back in 2007. Although it is a remake of a Hong Kong hit 'internal affairs', the Scorsese version shines because of, well, Scorsese.

Story of a hard-to-get gangster played extremely well by Jack Nicholson and some rats played by Leonardo Di Caprio and Matt Damon.

Phenomenal acting and awesome screenplay keeps the movie tight.
This is my 4th time watching it and I still never get bored.
Must Watch if you haven't.

5/5

RockNRolla

Oh I love Guy Ritchie's movie. Big Fan of his Cut/Cut/Snip/Snip editing. Yet another Dark Comedy in the classic mold set by Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels. This time starring Gerard Butler in the lead with Tom Hardy and Mark Strong alongside. Great fun to watch the scam's by the leads.
Must watch.

4/5

Sherlock Holmes
I then continued the Guy Ritchie theme.

There are movies on Sherlock Holmes and then there is Sherlock Holmes made by Guy Ritchie. Although the typical Sherlock story keeps one curious, it is the Guy Ritchie touch that keep you hooked with Robert Downey Jr playing Sherlock. Much like all the Batman movies can't keep up the quality of the narration of Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy.
Good watch.

4/5

SISU

SISU - A Finnish word for Grit & Determination. When I ask Finn's to explain the meaning, they are simply unable to. Well, this gritty all-out action movie explains exactly that.

Set in the 40's in the WW2 timeframe, a Finnish Soldiers finds Gold in Lapland which the passing by German Army convoy wants to keep. the entire movie is about his determination to keep it and about him being the killing machine that beat the Germans at their game single-handedly. SISU has been widely acclaimed for the hard-hitting action scenes. Loved the movie through and through.

It is said that Finn's don't speak much. True to that, the Lead actor of SISU speaks only a handful of words in the end. In that way, this movie is the best explanation of Finnish people.
Must Watch.

5/5

Dumb Money

I have literally seen the story behind this movie unfold in real-time. A stock-watching colleague of mine had told me about the sudden rally of Gamestop stocks and that it is led by Day Traders. I never understood and still don't understand the mechanisms of the world of trading and I keep away but I watched as this unfolded in public news. However, this Dramedy double-clicks on all the players behind this surge.

The protagonist's faith in his theory got him the $145 Mn that he is worth today.
Good watch.

note: Pete Davidson is incredibly talented but utterly wasted in this movie. His role could have been played by literally anybody.

3.5/5

Last edited by 14000rpm : 17th June 2024 at 03:37.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 09:37   #9611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Bad Boys are getting old but, they refuse to let go of their “Mojo”.
Time for a Bad Boys movie marathon!
Old 17th June 2024, 14:03   #9612
BHPian

Watched Rebel Moon 1&2 on Netflix.

Extremely disappointed with both the parts. I don't understand how millions are poured for such movies. Done and dusted story line (watch the Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven instead).
  1. Bad adaptation of the storyline
  2. Unnecessary slow mo with background songs
  3. Predictable plot. Too many cliches
  4. Wasted potential with respect to actors involved

Director's cut is planned to be released in couple of months. Not sure what is the deal with Zack Snyder and the director's cut !

Last edited by shatananda.k : 17th June 2024 at 14:05.
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 17:36   #9613
Senior - BHPian

The First Omen:

Some really creepy scenes but overall would call it a miss. Especially when compared to The Omen!

2.5/5
Old 17th June 2024, 19:30   #9614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The First Omen:
Some really creepy scenes but overall would call it a miss. Especially when compared to The Omen!
2.5/5
Honestly, Hollywood must STOP remakes or prequels/sequels for iconic movies.
'First Omen' has multiple inconsistencies. Maybe, I need to rewatch Omen to align. It is ages since I watched the Omen trilogy

Exorcist was another disaster

Last edited by shatananda.k : 17th June 2024 at 19:57.
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 22:19   #9615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
Exorcist was another disaster
Pretty much every horror movie is a disaster now a days. Outside of Babadook, original Conjuring and Insidious to some extent, I don't recall a great horror movie in recent times. Getting tired of exorcism movies now a days. Please suggest me something!
P.S. and special mention of "Autopsy of Jane Doe" which I felt was surprisingly rather good movie. Something that flew under the radar but is worth watching.

Last edited by amol4184 : 17th June 2024 at 22:22.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks