Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2024, 09:24   #9571
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
movie starring Liam Neeson yesterday on Netflix. It's about Liam trying to save his son from his own Mafia boss.
Onscreen Liam Neeson is just a bad parent The Taken franchise has just made him such a stereotype.

It was weird to see him as Oskar Schindler after his action movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Have been watching some old movies
If you like old movies. I would suggest starting with 12 Angry Men. Lots of Alfred Hitchcock movies, Witness for the Prosecution. If you want feel good, you can watch Its a Wonderful Life or the entertaining Buster Keaton in The General with family. Duck Soup, Dr. Strangelove, Wages of Fear are some of the movies I remember from the ones I liked.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 11:31   #9572
Distinguished - BHPian

Recommended

I Used to Be Famous: Slow pace, redemption drama. Very authentic performances and enjoyable if you can accept a slightly slower pace. 8/10

Metal Lords: Teen misfit comedy drama. Formulaic but nevertheless a good watch. Actors are pretty good and the metal music vibe is very believable. 8/10 for metal fans, 6.5/10 for others

Late Night: The Devil Wears Prada type office comedy meets diversity. Watched it because Mindy Kaling Indian connection (she is the actor-producer). 7/10 for Indian audience.

American Fiction: Satirical social comedy, thankfully an easy watch with very intelligent conversations. Few aspects look forced and out of place but overall the movie is very original and worth watching. 7/10

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris: Feel good comedy set in 1950 London. A movie for ladies I guess but still worth watching. 7/10

Don't bother
Anyone but You: Started off on a funny note but couldn't stand it as the move progressed. Lead pair with a great start, then misunderstanding and then I guess eventual reunion. Didn't finish to rate it.

Ticket to Paradise: Clicked because of George Clooney and Julia Roberts, but I was not that jobless to waste 2 hours.

Last edited by androdev : 26th April 2024 at 11:36.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 11:39   #9573
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Challengers-

Excellent movie! Watch it on the big screen. It is about the relationship between the 3 characters with Tennis forming the backbone of the story. 9/10

Civil War-

A very good movie. Critics have praised this movie but the audience reviews has been poor. I was a bit apprehensive of spending big bucks on this one but I am glad I did. From what I could figure, the poor audience review is because this not really a war movie though the name may suggest that. It starts right in the middle without much background. I knew what I was walking into. Many people didn't. Most people in India if not all watch only the action flicks of Hollywood. I know a few people who went for this one assuming it to be full of action. Oh there is action, but not Marvel level. 7.5/10

Abigail-

A movie with a typical storyline. It's not bad, but not great or something. 6/10

Rebel Moon Part 1 and Part 2-

Can make for a casual watch when you don't wanna devote a 100% of your attention span to the screen. 5/10

Last edited by AYP : 27th April 2024 at 11:43.
Old 27th April 2024, 14:10   #9574
Distinguished - BHPian

The Beekeeper starring Jason Statham is available on Lionsgate Play. It's a typical Jason Statham movie, full of action.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20240427_140841.jpg

Here is a clip of Jason Statham before he got famous.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 17:00   #9575
BHPian

Poor things: Hotstar

Weirdly fascinating (and not a family friendly) movie.
4/5.
NG_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 12:39   #9576
Senior - BHPian

Saw The Burial starring Jamie Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones

It's a good court room drama based on true incidents.
The multi-talented Jamie Foxx can come out loud and over the top for some but that is exactly what I like about him.

Good watch.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 16:27   #9577
Senior - BHPian

The Bee Keeper

Streaming: Lionsgate

Had become a huge fan of Jason Statham from the Transporter & Death Race days. I didn't expect anything different form this movie other than pure action. I was a bit disappointed to be honest as I felt the action scenes were not anything new or jaw dropping. I think the reason is there was not any better opponent physically in this movie. The end also was quite a tame one. I will rate Jason's previous movies a lot notches on the top than this one. If Jason fan then watch the movie

Rating: 3.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 17:37   #9578
BHPian

Last few movies been Horror/Thriller genre for me. Came across some good (different) movies which I thought of sharing here

1. Influencer (2022) - Amazon Prime Videos - 3/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-influ.jpg

Very well crafted mystery thriller with bit of suspense. I liked the plot and the story movie conveys about the dark side of social media and technology.
The locations are excellent, Acting by the lead is good. It's not a high octane thriller or a gore fest, but a low budget, well shot mystery drama.
It’s definitely worth a watch

2. Assassination Nation (2018) - Netflix - 3.5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-assassination.jpg

Again very different movie, again same subject of social media and herd behavior when triggered.
The main story is about a data hack which exposes the secrets of an American town, related chaos and four girl's fight to survive. It's not realistic story, but definitely entertaining.

Major positive is the background score which suits the color scheme. They have smartly utilized the cyberpunk rock perfectly with the mood of the movie.
It got some gore and kill scenes too. I loved that they added the trigger warnings at the beginning, so you’re well aware of what’s going to be displayed.

3. Becky (2020) - Amazon Prime Videos - 3/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-becky.jpg

R rated 'Home Alone' . This movie is a wild. Mixing teenage anger with revenge.
Shot on a minimal budget, it was mostly unrealistic with lot of potholes but impressively intense at the same time.
The lead actress kid was good, nothing much on the others. It's a nice popcorn flick if you are into this genre.
Be advised of the kills, graphics contents and gore

4. Love Lies Bleeding (2024) - 4/5

Erotic/Romantic thriller starring Kristen Stewart & Katy O'Brian in lead roles.
The movie is set on late 80's backdrop and beautifully shot. It had some great music and color composition which will hook you throughout.
Performance of the leads where great too.
Only one scene felt disconnected to the entire movie was near to the climax where it leaves it up to your interpretation of what exactly happened (You will see it while watching - No spoilers).

Be advised of few scenes of mature content (Sex, Gore etc).

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2024 at 09:37. Reason: Removing image that isn't family friendly, thanks
Asish_VK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 08:57   #9579
Senior - BHPian

Watched Thelma and Louise (1991) on Prime 4.2/5

An engaging movie, kept me interested throughout. A very young Brad Pitt has a relatively short role in the later half.
Was not expecting that ending at all.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 07:42   #9580
Team-BHP Support

The Beekeeper: Amazon Prime: 1 / 5

If I were to be charitable, I’d peg this as a “it’s so bad it’s good” sort of movie like some reviewers have. But honestly I’m struggling to put it even on that mantle.

I’m a huge Jason Statham fan and I can see some pretty mediocre stuff (of which there has been enough in the past) as long as it stars Jason. He’s also probably the only reason I just about got through the movie - but only by taking it in, in several 20 - 25 min installments. Even spread out so, it was barely watchable, so idiotic was the script, plot and just literally almost every scene. It’s an action flick in more ways than one - what with the violence on screen combined with the all out assault on your senses.

Imagine Rohit Shetty or that Vanga-whatever chap getting a stab at making a movie with Jason Statham as lead. I’d reckon the result would be something as ridiculous as the Beekeeper. The script is beyond bad, the direction is trying hard to top it on incompetence and the overall technical teams were likely working on this as a moonlighting project.

The only saving grace is I got to read the review linked below, which was worth its weight in gold and far more entertaining than the movie itself.

Warning: The link has the detailed storyline and spoiler (a strong word for the plotline) alerts so please open link with that full knowledge. If you have already seen the movie, it’s definitely worth a read just for how hilariously it’s written.
Warning #2: The review runs pretty fast and loose with profanities, if that sort of thing bothers you.

https://actuallypaid.com/2024/01/29/...the-beekeeper/

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2024 at 10:12.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 03:54   #9581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The Beekeeper: Amazon Prime: 1 / 5
If I were to be charitable, I’d peg this as a “it’s so bad it’s good” sort of movie like some reviewers have. But honestly I’m struggling to put it even on that mantle.
This is the only way to describe this movie. Its terrible. You end up with several facepalm moments throughout the movie.
Old 3rd May 2024, 08:06   #9582
Team-BHP Support

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-the_foreigner_2017_film.jpg

The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan - Netflix

This one flew under the radar. Jackie Chan instead of being a clown that fights, plays the role of a bereaved father seeking revenge from Irish Terrorists.

The first 30 min is slow but then the action and fights hot up and the plot twists and turns. A little bit is borrowed from First Blood though.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 18:39   #9583
Distinguished - BHPian

Flaming Hot: 4.5 / 5

A wonderful biographical movie based on the story of Richard Montañez; a (now retired) senior exec of Frito-Lay who moved up from being a janitor in one of the factories of Frito-Lay to a senior marketing executive at Frito-Lay. He is best known for his claim of inventing Flamin' Hot Cheetos; a multi-billion product that expanded on the existing Cheetos (and other Frito-Lay products) to cater to the Latino / Mexican population.

The movie is wonderfully paced with some subtle comedy pulled in throughout the movie. No big actors but everyone pulls their weight and this feel-good movie does a great job through and through. If you enjoyed Michael Peña's comedy antics in the Ant-Man series, you'll definitely enjoy the comedy scenes in this movie.

ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 12:11   #9584
BHPian

30 years and still counting. It just refuses to die. Ezeikel 25:17, Wrist Watch, Jack rabbit slims, Honey bunny, Zed's Dead, God's Miracle, Samurai Swords, Twist...

srini1785 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 16:09   #9585
Senior - BHPian

Road House sequel is on cards.

Quote:
With nearly 80 million viewers to date, Jake Gyllenhaal is set to reprise his role as Elwood Dalton in a Road House sequel.
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20240515_160704.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed