Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:25   #9556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post

The coin toss sequence at the gas station sends chills down the spine no matter how many times I watch it.
Correctly pointed out. It is the best scene and Javier Bardem is menacing in his body language while not looking menacing. Loved his acting start to finish.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 23rd April 2024 at 22:26.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:32   #9557

Quote:
The coin toss sequence at the gas station sends chills down the spine no matter how many times I watch it.
And the sequence where he checks the sole of the shoe when coming out of Josh Brolin's wife's house. It tells you in an instant on what transpired inside the house.

IIRC, Javier Bardem won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that role.
kbnissan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 04:12   #9558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnissan View Post
And the sequence where he checks the sole of the shoe when coming out of Josh Brolin's wife's house. It tells you in an instant on what transpired inside the house.

IIRC, Javier Bardem won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that role.
He did, the movie won best picture award too. For once I don't disagree with Oscar committee. Over the years they have handed awards to pretty questionable movies but this one fully deserved it.

That little detail is heartbreaking even though you fully expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Correctly pointed out. It is the best scene and Javier Bardem is menacing in his body language while not looking menacing. Loved his acting start to finish.

https://Youtu.be/ZY0DG8rUnCA?si=Cci1YacPfRDx8ZtE
Watched it on mute and it still had me on the edge! Some scenes are just too powerful.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 08:14   #9559
BHPian

CIVIL WAR (In theatres)

Rating: 6/10

A movie about a grave and topical subject that doesn't talk about it at all!
Some absolutely wonderful sequences, beautifully shot, well directed - what we call in our house : a 'competently made' film, but it's like popcorn. No nutritional value at all.

It never states which era we are in, but the gist of it is America has fallen into another civil war, states have seceded from the Union and in this case it's the East vs West as the Western Forces troops are advancing on the White House. And we are with a bunch of war photo journalists who are traveling to DC to talk to the President.

We absolutely loved the promo campaign which they made using AI images to show what would happen to America if civil war broke out.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...sy-1235876340/

It did so many things right to pique our interest, but just couldn't hold it with the actual product.

So watch it like a war movie or a travel movie, or a war-travel movie. Some seriously good stuff in there. Giving it 6 for effort and skill, but IMHO, a movie like this needs a POV (actually every movie does) and this one fails to say anything. But then Alex Garland, the writer-director, without the great Danny Boyle was always very mid. Have never really enjoyed any of Alex Garland's directorial work tbh.

(Alex Garland became famous as the writer of The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine - they were his first movies. All made by Danny Boyle who, of course, is the guy who got famous for 'Slumdog Millionaire' though his other work is just as brilliant, if not more.)

Just went to see this one since it was playing in an (almost) empty IMAX theatre. So great movie experience - absolutely stunning sound design, you get the horror of war the way it's presented but for me it was just factual. I wanted something more. More about what happened, more about the human condition, more about the world. Some context to it all. And you don't have to go far, just read any newspaper about the US (or any other place in the world!)

But it did rekindle my love for photography and I'm going to be dusting off my old Olympus micro 4/3 and using it, after years of just iPhone photography haha.

In a similar vein - for war journalism, watch 'The Bang Bang Club'. Factual, based on a bunch of actual war photographers/journalists.

For a harrowing war-journey movie, watch 'Battle: Los Angeles' which, though Sci-fi, is astounding and you're exhausted by the time the movie ends, of the journey the soldiers have taken in the movie! YOU feel tired when Aaron Eckhart picks up his gun once again.

For a faux future movie, watch 'Don't look up' with DiCaprio, which probably has the best last line in a movie in recent times, cuts you deep.
Even 'Leave the world behind' was spooky and made you think.

That's it - Civil War doesn't make you think. I thought it would make me, considering where the world is going right now. Maybe it also stems from Alex Garland being actually British, so his view of the US will not be as scathing and thoughtful as an American writer/director.

Good one time watch as a theatrical experience. But try and watch it in IMAX if you can.

Last edited by Evyas : 24th April 2024 at 08:21. Reason: Image size too large
Evyas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 10:27   #9560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
CIVIL WAR (In theatres)

Rating: 6/10
Interesting. This post piqued my interest in the movie and I will watch it. To be honest, when I saw the trailer I wasn't too impressed. It felt like another run of the mill action flick. Guns, blasts, destruction and violence with some current hot topics thrown in.
"Leave the world behind" was a good watch for me too though I don't think many people liked it.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 12:00   #9561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
I loved it as well! It was devoid of the usual stereotypes and was shot brilliantly, acted brilliantly and edited brilliantly. I have always found Jeffrey Wright to be a good actor, and he truly shines out in this movie.

By the way, did you notice the poster? He is in a formal attire, yet the yellow drawing is all gangsta style, complete with the headband, rings, chain etc. And did you see the lettering on his knuckles - THUG LIE
Yes. That's why I searched the internet for a better quality image of this poster
century is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 12:20   #9562
Senior - BHPian

Rebel Moon - The Scargiver

Streaming: Netflix

The sequel to the Part 1 (Child of the moon) which I was waiting for the the first part was good in my opinion. But the sequel disappointed me in many ways - the plot, the visuals, the acting. Its a missed opportunity to make the franchisee a success. Nothing was not in place. Although Sofia Boutella occupied the maximum screen presence she is no Lara croft when it comes to action. The movie disappoints big time although the stage is set for a third installment. Watch only if no good alternative available.

Rating: 2/5

Anyone but you.

Streaming: Netflix

This movie could have been really better in the romcom genre but I couldn't find anything new in the film plot neither in the acting space. Some of the Sydney city visuals are stunning and thats it. Can be skipped for sure.

Rating: 2/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 13:11   #9563
BHPian

After watching the old Road house movie, I watched this.

Same basic storyline but Swayze charm was replaced by intensity of Gyllenhaal. Conor McGregor was treat to watch.

Old one was better.

Rating: 2.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-roadhouse-2024.jpg  

century is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 13:41   #9564
BHPian

Have been watching some old movies suggested by Prime. Watched Midnight Cowboy from 1969. Its a good watch, shows the life at that time in NY. Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman have done great. Never seen Jon Voight this young before

I see many movies on OTT and cant even remember most of the movie names

Last edited by PreludeSH : 24th April 2024 at 13:43.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 14:33   #9565
BHPian

Run All Night (Action/Crime) - I saw this movie starring Liam Neeson yesterday on Netflix. It's about Liam trying to save his son from his own Mafia boss. It somewhat reminded me about John Wick. I dozed off slightly in the middle but the movie is good enough for a one time watch. I would rate it 3/5.

No Country For Old Men (Crime/Thriller) - I remembered watching this movie on Amazon Prime a month ago looking at the reviews above. The movie is good till Moss gets the money case near the border, afterwards the director messed it up completely! I didn't expect the movie to end in such a ridiculous manner. The portrayal of Anton Chigurh is fantastic though. I would rate it 2/5 only for the pathetic ending.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 14:51   #9566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Have been watching some old movies suggested by Prime. Watched Midnight Cowboy from 1969. Its a good watch, shows the life at that time in NY. Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman have done great. Never seen Jon Voight this young before

I see many movies on OTT and cant even remember most of the movie names
Midnight cowboy is a gem of a movie. It is about camaraderie, loneliness, hustling, loyalty and a melancholic ending. I could watch it over and over again.
The John Barry soundtrack is a masterpiece in itself.

Everybody's Talking is great too.
Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 16:12   #9567
Senior - BHPian

Watched this movie called American Fiction on Prime. It's about a talented but not so successful novelist who ends up writing another novel under a pseudonym as sarcasm but that ends up being a hit. A nice light watch with some thought provoking scenes. Not all characters are developed as well as they should have been though. Overall, 3/5 for me
Old 24th April 2024, 18:40   #9568
BHPian

Quote:
It's a legend of a movie. A modern day classic but there's no Joaquin Phoenix in it.

Perhaps you are confusing him with Javier Bardem though they look nothing alike.
Thanks for correcting me.
Old 24th April 2024, 22:01   #9569
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Late night with the devil 2024-

A good horror movie. Quite different from a 'normal' horror movie which either use jumpscare or just straight up incorporate the horror element casually in the story. It is different in a good way. Horror movie fans will enjoy this. Rating- 3.5/5.

It is gonna release in India 2 days from now on 26th. It has already been released in the US. I didn't watch it on any of the usual sources.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 23:35   #9570
Team-BHP Support

Bank of Dave - Netflix

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-poster_for_bank_of_dave_2023.jpg

Short 90 min movie on how a Car Dealer wants to help his local community by setting up a local bank. The traditional baking community try to play dirty but aided by a sidelined London Solicitor, he fights back. Also features Def Leppard.

Rated 4 stars - bit cheesy but an engaging feel good movie!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks