Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2024, 13:11   #9511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched The Big Short on Amazon prime

Its basically about how 2008/09 recession started. Was a good watch for most part except some instances while explaining the finance jargons. Had heard about the housing bubble burst but didn't really read about it much. These guys have dumbed it down for non-finance folks like me to understand it. Watch it if you like finance topics.

Rating: 3.5/5
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 23:36   #9512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar Netflix

Wes Anderson has again come up with a quirky short movie adapted from a Roald Dahl story. Starring some brilliant names like Ben Kinsley, Ralph Fienns, Benjamin Cumberbatch and Dev Patel, the short movie feels like a picture book. With the dry wit and humour intact, the movie shows the power of human empathy and its effect on the society at large. Absolute masterpiece of a short movie. Highly recommended.

Rating: 4/5
Thanks Abhi. I was about to recommend this one and noticed that you already have. Ralph Fiennes, Dev Patel, Benedict Cumberbatch and Wes Andersen seem to have taken after Roald Dahl full throttle like no other - The Swan, The Rat Catcher, Poison and now The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. The screenplay is a masterpiece, and does complete justice to the fascinating author.

Rating 5/5

Another very refreshing movie is "Mrs Harris goes to Paris" - a very sunny movie with an elegant and adorable protagonist.

Rating 4/5
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 06:34   #9513
Senior - BHPian

Watched Oppenheimer a few days ago, I was wanting to watch it for a long time but somehow postponed it. Quite frankly, I felt it was a "meh" kinda film. It focused too much on the Cold war politics around the principal character rather than the science and technology itself, and after a while, that bored me out. Perhaps they did not want to glamorize the nuclear weapon per-se, but that is nothing but political correctness in a movie about the inventor of the N-bomb.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 12:37   #9514
BHPian

The Iron Claw (2023)

Based on the true story of the von Erichs with Zac Efron in a generational performance in this masterpiece. If you loved WWE wrestling from the 80's to 90's and know the likes of Ric Flair, then you are in for a treat. I'm shocked this movie didn't get Oscar recognition. You feel the intensity of the characters and the combat choreography made each match feel real. The Iron Claw is a movie that is nearly flawless from start to finish.

P.S. Zac Efron definitely needs to be cast as He-Man if ever a movie gets made

Last edited by jomyboy : 6th April 2024 at 12:42.
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 16:58   #9515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Watched American Fiction on Prime. Very good movie and didnt know how 2 hours passed by. The characters are very real and its shot so gently that it comes as very likable. 4/5
Couldn't agree more, the satire and sarcasm is so beautifully layered, dialogues are just naturally funny yet carrying a darker meaning.
Superb piece of art. 4.5/5

Anatomy of a Fall is also a good watch. 4/5
John316_WRC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 23:49   #9516
Distinguished - BHPian

Carlos
OTT : Amazon Prime
4/5

Being a massive fan of Fredrick Forsyth and having grown up on a staple diet of espionage novels and one of which "Day of the Jackal " made a huge impression which is based on the real story of the political terrorist- Carlos who was also coined "The Jackal"

This is a well researched movie about Edgar Ramirez (Real name of Carlos who hailed from Venezuela) who was fluent in several languages and how he terrorized Europe during the 70's and 80's with his terrorist attacks under the naive or calculated guise of following a certain political belief.

Enjoyable movie for fans of the Cold War and Espionage as it gives a great perspective of how things happen in that world.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 09:19   #9517
Senior - BHPian

Watched Godzilla x Kong in 4dx, The movie was fast paced you will not be bored, but you will not be amazed either. The villian Titan of the movie was not at all threatening. Too little of Godzilla and too much of Kong, felt like the makers forgot that this franchise is about Godzilla. I have a feeling that makers are trying to recreate Avengers in Godzilla franchise. The scale (size) of Titans in some scenes was also out of place. For me this is the worst Godzilla movies of all of them in terms of storyline, makers have created 'Circus of Titans'. Action action action, this is the John wick of Titan movies without a proper storyline. Watch it and forget it.

Last edited by mercedised : 7th April 2024 at 09:26.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 12:10   #9518
Senior - BHPian

Watched Anatomy of a Fall on Prime 3.75 / 5

Its got that suspense element for sure, but be prepared for a 2.5 hour talk fest

Reaffirms a feeling that the French like to talk a lot (based on most movies that I've come across)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th April 2024 at 12:12.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 14:23   #9519
BHPian

I watched American Fiction yesterday on prime video. Brilliant movie. There are many movies that feel like never-ending snoozefests, but this movie makes you want more. I want a series out of this; it's that brilliant!

Rating: 4.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-american-fiction.jpg  

century is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 19:02   #9520
Team-BHP Support

Not sure why I did, but ended up watching Emily The Criminal on Netflix.

A movie on how people do credit card fraud. Very meh movie overall, skip it.

2.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Carlos
Being a massive fan of Fredrick Forsyth and having grown up on a staple diet of espionage novels and one of which "Day of the Jackal "
Thanks! I've read a lot of his books, and liked this book in particular. Will watch tonight.

PS: Next on my list is Napoleon (available on Apple TV+). Missed in the theatres.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 20:00   #9521
Distinguished - BHPian

Ticket to Paradise Netflix

George Clooney and Julia Roberts combination never disappoints. Feel good movie with usual dollops of emotion and sentiments along with some beautiful locations around Bali. They play a divorced couple out to sabotage the marriage of their daughter. Light breezy and just about finishes inside 100 minutes or so. Enjoyed it throughly although the topic is nothing new but eh, Clooney and Julia- what’s there not to love !!

Rating- 3/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 13:16   #9522
BHPian

I have questions, hoping someone can answer:

Will some parts of Monkey Man be edited/blurred in theatrical release in India?

If yes, will it's OTT release bear the same fate?
Old 9th April 2024, 15:57   #9523
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by century View Post
Will some parts of Monkey Man be edited/blurred in theatrical release in India?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by century View Post
If yes, will it's OTT release bear the same fate?
Yes.

If you would like to see this movie, the way it is being showcased globally, you need to take to the high seas.

I was really hoping to watch this movie in theatres, but now, I am unsure.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 21:15   #9524
Senior - BHPian

What a travesty.

From the moment I saw its trailer when I went to watch some other movie I had been waiting eagerly for it's release. Don't know when in which century Indian censor board will come to new age.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th April 2024 at 22:38. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 10th April 2024, 02:01   #9525
Senior - BHPian

A Bridge too far on Prime 5/5

An epic WW2 war movie with Sean Connery and a young Antony Hopkins in 1977. Just brilliantly and elaborately made depicting war in all its gory details and suffering with no winners or losers.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th April 2024 at 02:26.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks