Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-620.html)

Oppenheimer is available for rent on Amazon Prime.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20231122_111002.jpg

T-34 (2018): It's a Russian war movie, and it is the least to say that I was stunned, as this one surprises me on so many levels. From acting to direction to special effects, most things work brilliantly. I have never seen a Tank vs. Tank fight that has been shot so cleverly; hats off to the director and VFX team.

8/10

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-t34.jpg

Napoleon - Rating 0/5

I was looking forward to this since it was Ridley Scot historical drama, but after 2hrs 40 odd min, I was very dissappointed. Absolutely zero chemistry between Joaquin and Vanessa Kirby and Joaquin's lack of screen presence ensures that Napoleon, as a charecter, is as flat as a french pancake. Story doesnt to justice to the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine and also fails do highlight the military accumen of Napoleon. All you are left is with a snooze fest. Please avoid.

A list of interesting movies, we may have missed.

Hello, I believe this information will be useful for movie lovers. The link has a list of interesting movies which we may have missed or not known about.

The Film People Project a Photography Project by Alessio Trerotoli.
https://filmpeopleproject.wordpress.com/

Alessio through his project compiled a list of 200 movies from people's choice of favourite movies.

The description has a little piece of personal story about the individual who listed their favourite movie.

We all hold movies close to ourselves marked by memories, which in some way defines us.

Happy watching interesting movies.

Gran turismo (Netflix)
Rating 4/5

I loved this movie. It's based on a true story about Jann Mardenborough's rise from being a Gran Turismo sim racer to a full fledged professional racer driving a Nissan GT-R NISMO for a factory team.
There is no Ford vs Ferrari level detailing but certainly this movie gives andreline rush in some scenes. Never feels slow. I would have liked more technical details on his journey but nonetheless it's a good watch.

Talk to me

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1.jpeg

The concept was good, but the execution was poor. Not to mention the acting by some - it was really bad. Towards the end, I had to skip it.

Rating - 1/5 (YouTube - For rent)

The Killer

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2.jpeg

It's a slow movie and first few mins can be a real drag, but picks up the pace later on. As always brilliant acting by Michael.

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix)

The Great Escaper

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-3.jpg

When you see Michael Caine and Glenda Jackson in the movie, you know it wont disappoint you. The movie was simple but it was their acting that nailed this. They both just nailed this. But I would say that Glenda took the lead in this one.

Rating - 4/5 (Watched it on a 3rd party streaming service)

Gran Turismo

Streaming: Netflix

I never played the GT game hence was curious to know about that in the movie. This one isnt close enough to the Movie Rush which I think was the best atleast I have seen about formula 1 sports. Orlando Bloom and David Harbour played their parts effectively but the person playing the Jann Mardenborough did a lot of justice to the title lead. The film does have some tense moments and the filming of the scenes on the track were fantastic. This film is a must watch for all BHPians.

Rating:4/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 5669136)
Gran Turismo

.... Jann Mardenborough This film is a must watch for all BHPians.

Thanks for this recomendation, Gran Turismo was a great watch.
The fact that it is based on real events makes it all the more interesting.

I did watch some series on Netflix as well, the most recent one being "The Frontier".
Its a long and tedious one to watch one spreading across 3 seasons and can be closed fast only by binge watching.
It does throw some good light on the fur trading activities of the early European settlers and the struggle between them for dominance including the indigenous people. I'd rate it 3/5 overall.

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Rating 5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20231103_210128.jpg

The official trailer:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudedLV0tP0

Here's what BookMyShow has to say in its "About the movie" section:-

Quote:

The cultural phenomenon continues on the big screen! Immerse yourself in this once-in-a-lifetime concert film experience with a breathtaking, cinematic view of the history-making tour.
Well, they are only partially right. And that's because they have hardly used any adjectives!

For a "Swiftie", the movie is nothing less than watching the grandest spectacle of their deity. And specially for Indian Swifties, since there is a remote chance of seeing a LIVE show here, viewing the movie in theatres is perhaps the next best thing to immerse oneself into!

I went to the theatres with my teenage kiddo on the first day (she couldn't have it any other way :)) of the movie release. In the runup to the release, I assumed that only a bunch of teenage girls around the city would turn up at the theatre, but man, was I so wrong. And I am glad that I was actually wrong!

When I witnessed the overwhelming outburst of belongingness, togetherness and fandom - all rolled into one, amongst the crowd that day - I realized that this is not just any other singer/entertainer movie show that I was attending. It was the biggest celebration of what everything Taylor Swift stood for.

The movie is nothing short of a spectacular journey through the diverse musical chapters of one of the world's most celebrated pop icons. The film encapsulates the essence of Taylor's groundbreaking career, treating fans (my teenage kiddo amongst them) to an unforgettable concert experience that pays homage to her illustrious discography.

For over a decade of seeing my daughter growing up to Taylor Swift's beautiful renditions, when I actually saw Taylor in the movie that day, I was equally mesmerized.

When the movie started, almost everyone just went berserk. I had booked couple of seats at the back, and from there I couldn't help but just wonder in sheer amazement.

I cannot help requote these lines from an article that I came across recently:-

Quote:

As someone who grew up in India, the absence of relatable female idols left a void when I was younger. That changed when I discovered Swift’s music, weaving stories of love, life, and heartbreak from a sensitive perspective. Her lyrics transcended backgrounds and resonated with the experiences of a young girl in a small village in Kerala, creating a connection that defied cultural and geographic boundaries. Swift’s music accompanied me through various stages of life, from the innocence of sobbing to ‘Fifteen’ in my teenage bedroom to the exuberance of scream-singing ‘Karma’ in a theatre in Kochi with fellow Swifties as I approached my thirties. Initially, I grappled with societal perceptions that painted me as less serious for being a fangirl. But I realised later that my passion for her music could coexist with the more “serious” facets of my life.
As for the movie duration, it was bit long at almost 2.5 hrs. but then I am only talking about myself. My kiddo and the gang of girls present there, would have wanted the show to go on for eternity, am sure.

As the movie was about to end when I looked around - watching everyone drenched in their moments of pure admiration for their idol, drowned in those moments of absolute joy for their idol - I will be honest that a thought crossed my mind, whether it's possible for me to go back in time and become a teenager, scream at the top of my lungs and dance away to my beloved Taylor's songs.

THE FLASH - 3/5

This movie is not just a disappointing superhero film but also stands out as one of the most underwhelming movies in general. The pacing is haphazard, while the script fails to deliver a compelling storyline.

It lacks any genuine heart or emotion, attempting to rush through the intricate buildup and payoff that Marvel accomplished over a decade with their Multiverse concept, all condensed into a single film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshMachine (Post 5669381)
As the movie was about to end when I looked around - watching everyone drenched in their moments of pure admiration for their idol, drowned in those moments of absolute joy for their idol - I will be honest that a thought crossed my mind, whether it's possible for me to go back in time and become a teenager, scream at the top of my lungs and dance away to my beloved Taylor's songs.

Phew, great review and must say was surprised and also delighted to see a review for this movie here (given Tbhp's glaring gender disparity and all that!) While I wouldn't go near the movie personally, great to see some diversity in movie subjects/reviews. Truly, our children open up more of the world to us.

Very spot-on about teenagers and music. I remember how important music was to me growing up (I still listen, but it's no longer a 'matter of life and death'). And I can surely imagine being as fanatic about such a movie had it been made on say Gn'R or Deep Purple back when I was in school/college! (Now I'd think twice about even going to see them live. Getting old I guess.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshMachine (Post 5669381)
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Same experience with my daughter as well, just that it was my wife who took her with a couple of her friends and my wife's feedback was that it resembled a major star's first day first show experience with all the kids (and some adults) going mad over her entry, her songs and the overall movie. I think this made for a very enriching movie experience, my kid liked it so much she went for it once again with her cousin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 5669874)
And I can surely imagine being as fanatic about such a movie had it been made on say Gn'R or Deep Purple back when I was in school/college! (Now I'd think twice about even going to see them live. Getting old I guess.)

:OT Maybe you should revisit your youth and go watch them live.

https://www.timesnownews.com/delhi/d...icle-105497206

I echo your sentiments.

I asked my teenage daughter if she wanted to go watch (I would probably put on NC headphones and listen to Maiden :D ) but she's past that now so whew!

Metallica's through the never was also an interesting movie/concert video and so was Maiden's flight 666.

On that note, movies based on metal are pretty rare but still good. One of the new ones was Metal Lords on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12141112/

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwalkr (Post 5669911)
Maybe you should revisit your youth and go watch them live.

Watched DP live thrice, twice in Bangalore and once at Goa. Met them backstage at Bangalore too courtesy a relative of the girl I was seeing back then, who was part of the event management company! :)

But after some more recent concert experiences at Bangalore, don't want to go through that bad crowd management again! (And I'm getting old!)

Anyway, to prevent going OT again, does anyone know of any good documentaries on Guns N'Roses? Fact-based, not just the click-bait ones on Axl that are all over youtube. (Thanks in advance.)

Sorry about the back-to-back posts, but deathwalkr's post made me think. Am seeing an increasing number of 'live' events being shown at movie theaters. Like the recent cricket world cup matches. Now certainly there will not be the same live 'energy' but I thought it might make a good mid-way experience between watching a 'live' sports event or music concert at home, and watching it in a stadium/ground. And for people like me who are done with the traffic, crowds, and mismanagement at the actual venue, it might make a lot of sense. Plus increased revenue for the live act.

How popular are these screenings of live events at movie theaters?