Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 11:30   #9271
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Killers of the Flower Moon

Watched it yesterday at PVR. Had no idea that it was based on a book and neither had we seen the trailer etc. Went purely for the stellar cast and the Scorsese magic.

Slow and drawn-out. A run-time of almost 3.5 hrs did get a little excruciating beyond a point (Also, as is the case with PVR, it started late and along with the intermission, this became over a 4 hr affair). Full marks for the Art Direction, however the screenplay could have been made a little more taut.

Especially liked the narration sequence at the end. Craftily done.

Overall, would rate it a 3.5/5. Came away a little underwhelmed honestly.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 6th November 2023 at 11:31. Reason: Added text
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 14:36   #9272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Saw Hunter Killer, a 2018 movie starring Gerald Butler, Gary Oldman, Michael Nyqvist and others about a submarine that's gone to find out about a missing US nuclear submarine in Russian waters.
Watched this over the weekend, a measured performance from Gerald Butler, has some typical holly/bolly-wood masala moments, but the story line and tight screenplay keeps you hooked. A good watch, in the lines of Hunt for Red October etc, but different.
skumare is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 11:34   #9273
Senior - BHPian

All quiet on the western front (Netflix)

A war movie that pulls at your heart. Amazing visuals, great acting and good background score.

Showcases the initial euphoria associated with war and the stark abject reality of it's horrors.

4/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 22:01   #9274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Killers of the Flower Moon

Slow and drawn-out. A run-time of almost 3.5 hrs did get a little excruciating beyond a point (Also, as is the case with PVR, it started late and along with the intermission, this became over a 4 hr affair). Full marks for the Art Direction, however the screenplay could have been made a little more taut.

Especially liked the narration sequence at the end. Craftily done.

Overall, would rate it a 3.5/5. Came away a little underwhelmed honestly.
I haven’t seen the movie as yet, but the reviews have been very average at best. One of the main issue with the film seems to be the runtime. At more than 3 hours, its going to test anyone’s patience! Don’t get me wrong, but why is Scorsese making his recent movies with really ridiculous runtimes? The irish man too was more than 3 hours!

I love Martin Scorsese’s movies, have watched many of his movies over and over again. In my view, some of his best work has been—The color of money, The Taxi driver, The Departed, Shutter island, The wolf of Wall Street, Good fellas and a few more. But some of his movies also really test your patience levels. I could never watch “The aviator” without looking at my watch. “The Irish man” was also ridiculously long, but i was super thrilled about seeing Robert de niro and Al pacino together, so that sort of kept my interest level together throughout.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 23:01   #9275
Senior - BHPian

To Catch a Killer - 4/5 (Amazon Prime)

A surprisingly well made movie in spite of its low IMDB rating. More of a routine police work. No stunts. Maybe that’s the reason for low rating.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 11:22   #9276
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
To Catch a Killer - 4/5 (Amazon Prime)

A surprisingly well made movie in spite of its low IMDB rating. More of a routine police work. No stunts. Maybe that’s the reason for low rating.
I'd call this movie a Killossal Piece of Crap, but to each his own. If I could be bothered, I'd list the ridiculously poor plot faults one by one, but I don't want to give it the time of day.
Old 10th November 2023, 16:33   #9277
BHPian

Operation Finale on Netflix. A movie about Nazi war criminals being caught and brought to justice. Ben Kinsley is super.
Bomi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 23:09   #9278
Senior - BHPian

The Killer—3/5, streaming on Netflix.

Directed by David fincher and starring Micheal Fassbender, this movie when announced really got my interest level up! The movie is engaging and except for the first 10-15 minutes, its well paced too. Micheal fassbender does what he does best, and becomes the character. He is one of those actors who consistently convinces the audience that he is literally the character he is playing.

However, I was expecting a lot more from David fincher. I mean his work has always been epic. Seven, Fight Club, The Zodiac, Gone Girl, The Social network, and a few more fantastic movies have been made by him. Unfortunately, “The Killer” is not his best work. Its a good movie, but nothing that you will remember afterwards. The movie is a bit abrupt, starts slow, and then ends abruptly as well.
motorworks is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 10:55   #9279
BHPian

The Marvels
Rating: 2/5

What a boring affair! I went into this movie without completing the pre-read (missed watching Ms. Marvel) and it all seemed a bit disjointed.

I am a huge MCU fan, but this movie was a colossal disappointment. Leaving technicalities aside, the entire movie seemed forced, with a random plot, forced humor and fake emotional connects. I'm sure Iman Vellani will turn out to be a future star, but she seemed meh in this movie.

Only exciting aspect: The post credits scene which introduces a new set of characters (which if you aware of the MCU gossip, was obvious)

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 14th November 2023 at 11:19.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 11:19   #9280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Killer—3/5, streaming on Netflix.

Directed by David fincher and starring Micheal Fassbender, this movie when announced really got my interest level up! The movie is engaging and except for the first 10-15 minutes, its well paced too. Micheal fassbender does what he does best, and becomes the character. He is one of those actors who consistently convinces the audience that he is literally the character he is playing.

However, I was expecting a lot more from David fincher. I mean his work has always been epic. Seven, Fight Club, The Zodiac, Gone Girl, The Social network, and a few more fantastic movies have been made by him. Unfortunately, “The Killer” is not his best work. Its a good movie, but nothing that you will remember afterwards. The movie is a bit abrupt, starts slow, and then ends abruptly as well.
+ 1 on this review. I also happened to see and kind of agree with your version.

As you rightly said, the first 15-mins are quite a drag and if you are able to sit past that then it's a good breeze of a movie and rather entertaining.

I would watch it purely being a Fincher creation and of course, the fascinating Michael Fassbender.

3.5/5
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 12:22   #9281
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Blackberry 2023

I'd recommend the Wikipedia pages instead of watching the movie, which is a shame actually because there is a fascinating story buried in this misfire. Most of the plot is not about the actual work, but about clashing egos on every level. I think this is one instance where a well-made documentary, with interviews, archival footage, etc. might be a better way to tell the story.
jomyboy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:11   #9282
Distinguished - BHPian

Gran Turismo 2023

Late to the party. I saw this movie while waiting to catch a red-eye flight in Alaska.

Honestly, was pleasantly surprised with this movie.

I did find myself on the edge of my seat in some of those action packed racing scenes, with my heart racing, 100% invested in the character and his wins/losses with my fist ACTUALLY pumping with triumphs and my heart crashing with worry in sharing the losses both emotionally and actual racing losses.

Accident scene in Nurburgring was shot spectacularly, I cant think of a better racing accident shot on camera.

It is a good movie with a classic underdog storyline. Great to see some old time stars in this movie and younger cast were also perfectly cast.

4.5/5

P.S : This movie was seen primarily to get out of -12 Celsius temperates in Alaska and to kill time for our flight back home.

To know more about what happened in Alaska, Check this thread out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post5660508 (2 BHPians (Mobike008 & Crackhead) Exploring the Alaskan Wilderness)
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 11:16   #9283
Senior - BHPian

Cobweb (2023, Prime)
[Horror, Thriller]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9100018/

"An eight-year-old boy tries to investigate the mysterious knocking sounds that are coming from inside the walls of his house, unveiling a dark secret that his sinister parents have kept hidden from him."

This was surprisingly good. For horror movie fans, it would be a bit predictable but overall it was a good horror flick.

One scene made my wife jump up from the bean bag onto the sofa where I was sitting!

3.75/5
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 12:28   #9284
Senior - BHPian

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - 4.5/5

Indiana Jones is back, the iconic adventurer takes us on an exhilarating journey that truly captures the essence of the beloved series. Packed with action, heart-stopping leaps, and thrilling fights, this film reignites the magic that made the Indiana Jones franchise so unforgettable. It's a cinematic experience that I would gladly watch again and again.

Harrison Ford once again embodies the role of Indiana Jones with his trademark charm, wit, and ruggedness. His portrayal brings back a flood of fond memories and reminds us why he is the definitive Indiana Jones.
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 10:42   #9285
Senior - BHPian

The Creator - 4/5

"The Creator", delivers a mesmerizing narrative that takes viewers on an enthralling journey into the realms of imagination and innovation. The cinematography is nothing short of stunning, with breathtaking visuals that transport viewers to a world brimming with technological marvels and artistic brilliance. One of the film's strongest aspects is its exceptional use of state-of-the-art visual effects, seamlessly integrating CGI to construct a world that feels both real and fantastical. The attention to detail in every frame is commendable, elevating the movie to a visual spectacle.

Like Terminator, I Robot, etc, this movie again reminds us that future is all about war between Humans & Machines.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 22nd November 2023 at 10:46.
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks