Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2023, 14:10   #8896
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Top Gun : Maverick on Amazon Prime

Loved it. Missed watching on big screen where am sure it would have felt GRAND. Never the less even on TV it was great to watch the F18s taking major screen-time. Even my 2 year old with attention level of a teaspoon watched the dog-fight scenes with awe.

Rating : 5/5
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:44   #8897
Senior - BHPian

The Pale Blue Eye (Netflix)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale_Blue_Eye

"The Pale Blue Eye is a mystery thriller and it features an ensemble cast that includes Christian Bale, Harry Melling, Gillian Anderson, Lucy Boynton, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Toby Jones, Harry Lawtey, Simon McBurney, Timothy Spall, and Robert Duvall.

Its plot follows veteran detective Augustus Landor in 1830 West Point, New York, as he investigates a series of murders at the United States Military Academy with the aid of Edgar Allan Poe, a young military cadet."

Was a decent watch thanks to the gothic feel and the acting by the cast. I thought Harry Melling and Gillian Anderson really did well. Would have liked to see more from Robert Duvall. Bale was well bale, can't complain

Overall, it was a nice movie to watch on a gloomy night.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 11:02   #8898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
You said most of the good parts. I wasn't even aware Duvall was in the movie though.

Downsides - the #whodunit angle is kept quite lame to be honest. The movie is sloooow and drags on at times. With a lot of story material crammed in the last half hour unfortunately.

Harry Melling is turning out to be a good actor. Should expect a lot from him going forward. A far jump from his first role as the almost absent Dudley in the Harry Potter series.

Rating: 2 / 5
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:40   #8899
Senior - BHPian

The Menu (Disney Hotstar)

With such a cast, expected the movie to be good and boy, it did not disappoint!

Movie was weird but was a worthy watch.

Had me craving for a burger at 11 in the night

4/5

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th January 2023 at 09:37. Reason: Corrected reference from Netflix to Disney Hotstar
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:44   #8900
BHPian

Quote:
The Menu (Netflix)
I also watched it yesterday night, and fully concur with @deathwalkr. It was horrific and funny in parts, making it a perfect black comedy.

Correction: It is on Disney Hotstar, and not on Netflix.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th January 2023 at 01:19. Reason: Quote trimmed.
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 00:33   #8901
Senior - BHPian

Emily the Criminal on Netflix - 4/5.

A quick no pressure watch that we seemed to enjoy a lot to our own amusement. We had no hopes (considering what Netflix puts out now a days) and this hit like a refreshing wind mostly because of brilliant Aubrey Plaza. A simple story of someone breaking bad. Reasonably fast paced with some holes in story but the Aubrey carries the movie on her shoulders. Probably not a must watch but it is better than most current stuff on Netflix so you can give it a try.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 09:07   #8902
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, sharing my review of "Lamborghini" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Saw the movie on Prime Video (via Lionsgate Play). Sadly, it's just worth a 2 / 5 star rating.

The pace of the story makes it boring, the direction is awful and the acting very tired / fake. 'Lamborghini' movie has gotten panned by reviewers (professionals & users) on IMDB as well as Rotten Tomatoes. Rightly so.

Believe it or not, even the car scenes are so poorly shot. There is a certain drag race between Ferrucio & Enzo Ferrari which they come back to multiple times in the movie. It will leave you yawning.

Watch it just to support car movies as a petrolhead. On average, there is just one new car movie released every year and we have to pay our respects to that. But it's a lame movie.

Would have given the flick 1 out of 5 stars; changing it to 2 only because the second half of the movie is slightly better with the development of their first car & the Miura.

If you want to know more about Lamborghini, Wikipedia / online resources will give you a better idea. Watch this movie when you have nothing better to do.
Old 20th January 2023, 13:13   #8903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale_Blue_Eye

"The Pale Blue Eye is a mystery thriller and it features an ensemble cast that includes Christian Bale, Harry Melling, Gillian Anderson, Lucy Boynton, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Toby Jones, Harry Lawtey, Simon McBurney, Timothy Spall, and Robert Duvall.

Its plot follows veteran detective Augustus Landor in 1830 West Point, New York, as he investigates a series of murders at the United States Military Academy with the aid of Edgar Allan Poe, a young military cadet."

Was a decent watch thanks to the gothic feel and the acting by the cast. I thought Harry Melling and Gillian Anderson really did well. Would have liked to see more from Robert Duvall. Bale was well bale, can't complain
And not to forget, the quirky but highly versatile Toby Jones aka Dr. Marquis in the movie!

For me, however, the character of Poe played by Melling was the stand-out performance, just too good.

My fav part was the letter decoding scene in which both Bale and Melling play out the read-out of the torn piece of paper and how they just deduce the nuances, just lovely

Here's the scene:-

JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:56   #8904
BHPian

Snowden (Netflix) 4/5, Not sure why I left it so late to watch, but it was a good one. I thought it would be more like a documentary, but that is not the case. A perfect whistleblower story, and the amount of mass surveillance that was being done is mind bogging.

Official Secrets (Prime) 4/5, One more whistleblower story about the illegality of Iraq war.

The Banshees of Inisherin (Hotstar) 4/5: A dark comedy about friendship, and it's a good one. Colin Farrell seems to be underrated, and now I need rewatch In Bruges by the same team

The Last Castle (Netflix) 3.5/5: Better than okay, Ensemble cast of Redford, Gandolfini and Mark Ruffalo. A decent watch about bringing downfall of Jail warden.

Last edited by csnanjappa : 23rd January 2023 at 13:57.
csnanjappa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 18:42   #8905
Senior - BHPian

Where the crawdads sing on Netflix

Based on the book by the same name "Where the crawdads sing" penned by Delia Owens, I found the (2022 release) movie to be a beautiful & captivating coming-of-age drama for the main protagonist "Kya", who gets to understand the meaning of self-reliance over love at the tender age of seven, when she finds herself abandoned after everyone in the family just leaves.

The movie plot is prettily set in the marshlands of Carolina, and holds on to its narrative for the most part. I think it is about the portrayal of how you get to discover your own self amidst some of the difficult circumstances + how you find love amidst the supposedly unromantic marshlands + how you stand true to your principles amidst what the world thinks or perceives about you.

Personally, I found the 2 hr movie duration slightly extended but then it had its elements of twist in the mix with "Kya" being accused of first degree murder and her lawyer Mr. Milton (brilliantly played by the hugely talented David Strathairn) defending her in the courtroom.

I haven't read the book but I could sense that the story and life of the main character unfolded in the courtroom as much as it did the marshlands where she grew up all alone. The story has its share of ups (where her book gets published, where she finds love etc.) and downs (where she is accused of murder etc.).

I was particularly moved by a scene towards the end of the movie where she is asked by her lawyer to self-testify in order to exonerate herself, but she refuses citing that she doesn't want "them" to judge her, she doesn't want to beg for her life..

All in all, I would rate this 4/5 for the rather stoic acting by Daisy Edgar-Jones + storyline of the strength of a woman in the backdrop of the American 1950s + "marshy" cinematography + supporting cast.

Official trailer:-

As some of you may know, the word "crawdad" is a US slang for crayfish, which obviously cannot sing. To know why it is being used so in the film, I suggest you to watch it
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 20:58   #8906
Distinguished - BHPian

M3gan : 4/5

There are so many scripts that get repeated again and again numerous times with every iteration trying to do something different. M3gan is one of them - a AI robot that goes rogue and has to be destroyed. But the way this story is delivered in this movie is absolutely brilliant. Keeping it simple with logic clearly embedded through out the movie, there are no loose ends. No big cgi or stunts. No goriness. But the sheer thriller + horror of the movie nicely clicks in the pretty short and fast paced movie. Definitely a great watch.

ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 23:16   #8907
BHPian

Last night in Soho - Amazon Prime - 4.5/5

Name:  images 13.jpeg
Views: 375
Size:  39.5 KB

What a fantastic movie! A stylized horror - mystery thriller with dazzling visuals and awesome music.

Absolutely beautiful cinematography with cool retro costumes, 1960's sizzling music and choreography.
To top it up, acting by leads (especially Anna Taylor Joy). Camera work with special effects are great, some scenes like the transition and reflection made my jaw drop. The sound design is killer too.

Like Edgar Wright's other movies, Everything is very stylish, very rapid and vivid.

Must watch.

Man of Thai Chi - Netflix 2.5/5

Name:  images 12.jpeg
Views: 382
Size:  33.6 KB

Chinese - American martial arts drama directed by Keanu Reeves.
Overall nothing great, similar plot to all martial arts movies. Few fight scene were good, Acting were below par (including Keanu)
Asish_VK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 10:11   #8908
Senior - BHPian

Wakanda Forever

Streaming: Disney Hotstar

Watching the movie without Chadwick Boseman was a real pain, that guy actually filled the screen and the superhero slot. The movie pays kind of an emotional tribute to the man. The star cast of Angela Basset, Lupito Nyong, Letita wright did justice to the movie somewhat, the VFX was brilliant esp the underwater scenes. This movie didnt have the Marvel movie feel. One time watch for the original Black Panther.

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 8th February 2023, 16:33   #8909
Team-BHP Support

Oscars are not anymore about just picking the best movies of the year. Now you have to tick lots of check boxes.

Check the new rules: https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/9/9...sity-inclusion

Last edited by Samurai : 8th February 2023 at 16:34.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 17:03   #8910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oscars are not anymore about just picking the best movies of the year. Now you have to tick lots of check boxes.

Check the new rules: https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/9/9...sity-inclusion
Isn't that an old article? It's a weird and deep rabbit hole, these topics on SJWs, PCs et all. Crazy stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks