Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 12:50   #8656
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yep. This, and The Killing Joke are atypical animated features.
Man, killing joke was brutal. But then DC animated features have always been pretty dark compared to Marvel's animated movies.

After watching Strange and Multiverse of Madness, I have to read House of M comic again.

Been a long time since I read that but it was some dark stuff. So much pain and anguish.

With regards to Thor's new movie, I just hope they do a good job. The comic series with Jane Foster as the lady version of Thor was pretty good in my opinion but they kept the identity secret for some time unlike in the movie world where it was revealed.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 17:41   #8657
BHPian

Thor: Love and Thunder

Disappointed!

Guest role for Guardians of the Galaxy, Zeus made a comic character, no emotions between Jane and Thor, and Christian Bale - does not fit at all! Got so bored in the first half itself - felt like watching a spoof of the movie 'Thor'.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th July 2022 at 17:43.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:08   #8658
BHPian

Thor: Love & Thunder
Rating: 3.5/5

A disappointing movie which tried too hard to be funny. Bale was wasted and the storyline seemed non-existent for situational comedy routines and few grand visuals. As an MCU fan, I expected more. Saw it in IMAX but even that wasn't redeeming.
Old 11th July 2022, 11:29   #8659
Distinguished - BHPian

Harriet on Netflix: 4/5

A biopic on Harriet Tubman of the legendary Underground Railroad who rescued dozens of slaves and led them to freedom in Philadelphia, New York and even Canada. I had read about her heroism in a school lesson in English (Balbharati if anyone remembers!) and this biopic does full justice. Excellent performances, good direction and a rivetting albeit simple storyline makes for a very good watch.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:48   #8660
Senior - BHPian

Since am still avoiding theatre(thanks to covid), keep waiting for movies to release on OTT. Watched Spider-Man: No way home on Netflix.

Seeing IMDB rating(8.3/10) had high hopes. And it was fun for the first part. But introduction of the other to SpiderMen(?) made it a bit weird. Never the less am a huge Marvel fan and can live with this. Much better than the disappointment named Eternals.

Rating : 3.5/5

P.S: For me the best highlight was my 20 month old kiddo(who watched it with me) trying to shoot spider-web. Toddlers pick up stuff pretty fast eh?

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th July 2022 at 17:49.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 12:43   #8661
Senior - BHPian

Watched 2 romcoms over the weekend

Valet

Streaming on Hotstar.

The movie name invoked a lot of cars to my mind but unfortunately had only a couple of exotics like the usual Lambos, G wagen etc. The plot is nothing great to write about. Actors are unknown. Nothing worth to be recommended, can b skipped.

Rating: 2/5

Marry Me

Streaming: Amazon prime

Starring my once upon a time favourites Jennifer Lopez and Owen Wilson. Again story nothing to write about. I dont know why this movie was made in the first place. If anyone is a fan of Jlo's voice can sit through the movie to listen, else skip it.

Rating: 2/5
Old 12th July 2022, 14:48   #8662
Senior - BHPian

Thor - Love and Thunder

3.5/5. Nice movie. But not close to what we expect from the Avengers' movies that Marvel has spoiled us with.

Looking at all movies, post Avengers - End Game, things are going less loud, less dramatic, less action, and more emphasis on comedy, or feel-good factor.

The only movie from Marvel I thoroughly enjoyed in Marvel-after-End-Game era, is Shang Chi. Fabulous action, and a good story. Shang Chi was as close to the legendary Black Panther movie. All the other movies beyond end game were 3-3.5 points for me. Dr. Strange Multiverse Madness, though was a good movie and not as awesome as the first one, still had the best use of visual effects.

I am now banking on Black Panther-2 and Captain Marvel-2 movies to give us the same level of entertainment as the first 22 movies.

On a side note, it is unfortunate that DC movies franchise is almost dead. Henry Cavil and Ben Affleck left their Superman and Batman roles. Not sure how long the current Batman franchise can survive.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 01:40   #8663
Senior - BHPian

Name:  D2849891103544D4AA6C754483AAD4B0.jpeg
Views: 330
Size:  90.8 KB

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House.

Rating 3.5/5

Watched it on Amazon Prime

Its a political thriller which is based on the 2006 autobiography of FBI agent Mark Felt (played by Liam Nesson) who helped uncover the watergate scandal.
SnS_12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 07:47   #8664
Senior - BHPian

Unchartered

Streaming: Netflix

The movie is no way in the Indiana Jones or National Treasure movies league but does have some elements of surprises. The movie has evolved from the video games and does not justice to it. The story could have been made even better. Antonio Banderas, Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg was wasted. The action scenes are boring actually. One can skip the movies if there is anything more interesting.

Rating: 2.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 13:24   #8665
BHPian

The Package (2018) - Netflix : 3.5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-package.jpg

Really enjoyed the movie. It's a teenage 'adult (mild)' comedy with some Rom-Com touch to it. It was hilarious at parts and overall a good time pass watch in a lazy Sunday afternoon.
It doesn't have much vulgar adult scenes for the sake of making it an adult comedy like some other movies. All the actors did their job well too.

I felt some vibes of the original American pie & Eurotrip because of the overall simplicity of the story & and the characters.
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 13:28   #8666
Senior - BHPian

In The Tall Grass (Netflix):

"A brother and sister enter a field of tall grass to rescue a boy, but they soon realize they cannot escape and something evil lurks in the grass"

Based on a book by Stephen King, the movie was pretty good. Scary, not so much but overall was a good movie. The visuals really fill up your senses and save for one very disturbing scene towards the end of the movie, it was all good.

3/5

No one gets out alive (Netflix):

"Desperate and without documentation, a woman from Mexico moves into a rundown Cleveland boarding house. Then the unsettling cries and eerie visions begin."

Absolute time pass movie. Nothing memorable except for the visualization of a major character. Good imagination that

2/5

Really running out of horror movies to watch and ending up having to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 18:19   #8667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Attachment 2332896

Rating 3.5/5

Watched it on Amazon Prime

Its a political thriller which is based on the 2006 autobiography of FBI agent Mark Felt (played by Liam Nesson) who helped uncover the watergate scandal.
The watergate scandal affected so many lives. Several good movies have been made on this one.
- All the President’s Men
- Nixon
even Forrest Gump has a reference to it.

Gaslit is a recent series on watergate, from the view point of the inner circle in whitehouse.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 18:59   #8668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Really running out of horror movies to watch and ending up having to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
If You havent already, I would recommend the following:

The autopsy of Jane Doe
The curse of La Liorona
The Wailing
Afflicted
The Girl on the third floor
The Ritual
Winchester
Drag me to Hell
Polaroid
Truth or Dare
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 19:00   #8669
Senior - BHPian

I really liked this movie. It was just lying there on prime, unwatched. If you had not recommended I'd never have seen it either. NIXON, and All the President's Men were other outstanding movies on the scandal, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Attachment 2332896
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 19:41   #8670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
If You havent already, I would recommend the following:

The autopsy of Jane Doe: Great movie this
The curse of La Liorona: Was just about ok
The Wailing: Amazing stuff. Really slow but was whoa!
Afflicted: Premise does not seem supernatural? or is it?
The Girl on the third floor: worth it? imdb has it at 4.7.
The Ritual: Nice movie this!
Winchester: Another ok one.
Drag me to Hell: Old but good.
Polaroid: Shall give this a try
Truth or Dare: This as well.
Thanks for the tips. Jane doe was genuinely scary.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks