Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 09:15   #8596
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The movie professes that its not about the plane , but the pilot, and largely stays true to its preachings. It peppers the nostaligia and throwback to the OG movie at the right moments as well.
What a way to describe the movie. Every word of your review post is a reflection of thoughts of most old timers who loved Top Gun and the nostalgia around it.
Look at it as a pure aviator and you’d see a lot of impossible things but look at it from the lens of aviation fans and you’d love it to the core. Tragic that Val Kilmer is actually going through it and had to have his voice generated by AI. Spot on about Penny being casted correctly. I felt Rooster also looked a lot like the chip off the block. Would have been fantastic to see Meg Ryan play a cameo though.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 09:47   #8597
BHPian

Fantastic movie, to be watched in IMAX only !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2022 at 10:12. Reason: Please avoid spoilers.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 10:07   #8598
Senior - BHPian

Val Kilmer was one of my favourite Heroes and feel bad for him. Recently Kannada Powerstar Puneeth Rajkumar's voice was recreated for JAMES, after his death, in a similar way. This Studio is in Hyderabad
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
Tragic that Val Kilmer is actually going through it and had to have his voice generated by AI
Old 8th June 2022, 12:25   #8599
BHPian

Finally caught up with Top Gun Maverick this afternoon and was simply blown away in the jet wash of the mighty F/A-18 Super Hornets and Capt Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell! Yess, Maverick is still Tom Cruise, but most everyone else has changed. Kelly McGillis has given way to oh-so-gorgeous Jennifer Connelly and Tom Skerrit, the Admiral in the original is also played by someone else. Val Kilmer as Iceman makes an emotional cameo appearance in the new iteration of Top Gun and a glimpse of Meg Ryan with Goose can be seen in a flashback. And yes... the original Ninja, the furiously fast Kawasaki GPZ 900 is still there!
A worthy sequel to the original Top Gun, 35 years apart, this movie never ceases to impress. All the actors have given their best, the cinematography is top notch, the music- scintillating, and the pace- Mach 10! The original featured the then state of the art F-14 Tomcats (and Tom Cruise!), the immensely powerful swing wing Tomcat makes a guest appearance in the new Top Gun too, and it holds its own again 5th Gen enemy aircraft, I think they were Su-57s. So powerful and ahead of its time was the F14 that even today it can outpace an F/A 18 which can do only Mach 1.8 against the Mach 2.4 of the F14 Tomcat!
The 1986 Top Gun, together with An Officer and a Gentleman, were two films which, with their unseen hands, urged me towards a career in uniform. Ah, and that gem of a song by Status Quo too, ... You're in the Army Now!
Another highpoint in the new Top Gun is the soundtrack! The original Kenny Loggins' 'Highway to the Danger Zone' has been retained, thankfully, and rock fans will surely get goosebumps when 'The Who' come on with their most aptly chosen 'Won't Get Fooled Again' when a deadly supersonic Tom and Jerry dog fight is going on! Top Gun Anthem by Harold Faltemayer is still there too. And I must admit, albeit reluctantly, that the old time purist rock fan in me was impressed with Lady Gaga and her 'Hold my Hand', kudos to her!
I watched this brilliant movie on an IMAX screen, if you haven't seen it yet, go ahead and watch it, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
windiesel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:44   #8600
BHPian

For all the those who have seen Top Gun Maverick already, need advice on whether to watch it in Imax 2D or 4DX. I am a big fan of the original Top Gun and am really looking forward to this sequel, so wanted to know which will be a more immersive experience. I am told the seat movements in 4DX can be a bit too much at times and can get exhausting at the end of a long movie.
Have to admit, am leaning a little but towards Imax because of the huge screen, but wanted to get inputs from folks here. What would you prefer?
abhii176 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:48   #8601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
I am told the seat movements in 4DX can be a bit too much at times and can get exhausting at the end of a long movie.
Saw it in 2D without any distractions and was totally worth it. Maybe the next time you can watch it in 4D.
Maverick5490 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:53   #8602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
What would you prefer?
I was in the same dilemma last weekend
Did a quick google and found 4dx is really not worth it. Seat movements & smoke effects when there is a fire is what you get in 4dx. Total turn off for me though was screen size, In 4dx it's small. So , My vote would be for imax.
Snowflakes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:02   #8603

Watched the premium screening on the 1st day, what a nostalgic feeling! Just to enjoy the sequel more, watched the original Top Gun on Netflix a day before the show. Even though one can guess the ending, the story is built well around the characters. The jet scenes kept me on the edge of my seat, and when there were no jets, some drama and some quirky comedy filled the gaps brilliantly.

It would have been so much fun if they could have used the F22 Raptor. But, they have cleverly written the story on why the 5th gen jets could not be used.

My rating: A solid 10/10.
IYoungAre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:16   #8604
BHPian

Top Gun Maverick is must watch in IMAX.
This was my first family movie in theaters since the pandemic. Can't get better than this.
The effort they have put in training the actors to shoot in real fighter jets has really elevated this movie experience.

Last edited by sj_koova : 8th June 2022 at 14:16. Reason: typo
Old 8th June 2022, 18:21   #8605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Saw it in 2D without any distractions and was totally worth it. Maybe the next time you can watch it in 4D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakes View Post
Total turn off for me though was screen size, In 4dx it's small. So , My vote would be for imax.
Imax it is then! Thanks for the inputs guys, going ahead with booking this in imax 2d for now. Might reserve 4dx for round 2!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 18:33   #8606
BHPian

Lunana - A Yak in the Classroom.

A Bhuatanese film currently being aired on Amazon Prime.

Rating 4.5/5

This is a gem of a movie, don't miss it.
Story is simple yet brilliantly directed and superbly casted.

Received an Oscar nomination too.

Hindi dubbed version is available with English subtitles.

Last edited by trek : 8th June 2022 at 18:37.
trek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 18:35   #8607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
With all the excitement around Top Gun: Maverick, thought it may be a good time to refresh my memory of the original. Which OTT is it available on? Nothing on Netflix and Prime says I have to pay 75/- to rent it.
Top Gun (1986) was removed from Netflix on end of day of 30 April 2022. Guess what I was doing that night

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2022 at 09:57. Reason: Guess you meant 30th April, not 31st :)
voldemort is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 20:15   #8608
BHPian

I went back and rewatched the original Top Gun right after seeing TG:Maverick and the sequel is so much better than the original in every way (except maybe Georgio Moroder's Take My Breath Away theme and the Berlin song, and Kelly McGillis' Charlie).

This is one of the few sequels that doesn't have any plot holes and has actors cast perfectly for their parts. Despite the plot being fairly predictable, the film was also utterly enjoyable and a huge contributor to that was the far superior visual effects which were very immersive and also showed exactly what was happening at any given point. The dog fight scenes were superbly executed. TG:Maverick did not however, require Tom Cruise to emote as much as he did in the original (that scene where he meets Carole after Goose has died will bring a lump in anyone's throat). Having said that, Cruise is one of the few remaining bonafide Hollywood stars and his charisma and toothy smile can still make hearts go aflutter. Hopefully he will get an Oscar one day - he has come close a number of times.

It's very rare for a sequel to top the original but TG:Maverick is that unique beast. In recent times I can only think of Spiderman 2 (the Tobey Maguire one) that was better than the original in every way.
Neversaygbye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 05:14   #8609
Senior - BHPian

So I watched it. Again. In IMAX. And it seems I'm not the only one - various people in the elevators and queues were talking about watching it for the second time.

Like the original, this movie will remain fresh for a very, very long time.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 06:05   #8610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
I went back and rewatched the original Top Gun right after seeing TG:Maverick and the sequel is so much better than the original in every way (except maybe Georgio Moroder's Take My Breath Away theme and the Berlin song, and Kelly McGillis' Charlie).
I think Jennifer Connelly's character is better etched out than Kelly McGillis who appeared to be very dry, almost brusque.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks