Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 19:32   #8581
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Don't know why it's rated so high (8.7)
This spike happens on the first couple of weeks' for high visibility movies. Dil Bechara started off at 9.8.

I used to rely on ratings till I saw Prometheus a decade back. Since then, I usually rely on the top rated user reviews instead. Still Top Gun: Maverick is still getting pretty impressive feedback
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 21:04   #8582
BHPian

Everything Everywhere All at once 5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-everything_everywhere_all_at_once.jpg

Just one word ! Fabulous. It's genuinely hilarious, absolutely mind boggling, chaotic but simple. Goes up to my all time favorite top 10 movies.

I don't know if it is being streamed in any of the platforms now & how can anyone watch it. *ahem Telegram* !

It have a mix match of genres such as Sci-fi, action, comedy, drama, fantasy, martial arts & black comedy to name a few

This is a must watch movie for all, original idea, spectacular visuals, superb performances, great action, lot of laugh & though provoking at times.

Michelle Yeoh's performance was spectacular & well supported by other actors.

The concept of multiverse explained that everyone will understand. A future cult classic for sure
Asish_VK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 21:07   #8583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This spike happens on the first couple of weeks' for high visibility movies. Dil Bechara started off at 9.8.

I used to rely on ratings till I saw Prometheus a decade back. Since then, I usually rely on the top rated user reviews instead. Still Top Gun: Maverick is still getting pretty impressive feedback
IMDB rating for Hindi movies are extremely volatile and unreliable. I wish we had an app which could give accurate ratings for Bollywood movies.

However for Hollywood or Korean etc stuff IMDB rating is usually spot on. Also everyone has different tastes so experience will be always subjective. For someone like me Top Gun is a 10/10 experience. Some will also give a 5/10. However, most people i know loved it for what it is. Plus the 80's and 90's kid will relate more with Top Gun.

Personally I feel if I am spending an average of 400-700 bucks for a movie ticket in an IMAX, take time out of my busy schedule and go to a multiplex, after coming out of the movie hall I shouldn't feel like my money and time was wasted and i had fun. That's all I demand from a movie experience. And i had awesome fun watching Top Gun.
harry10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 04:52   #8584
Senior - BHPian

Top Gun is remarkable on many, many levels.

It truly makes you forget about the outside world. For a film that is based on, and glorifies war, it does not espouse morals. It doesn't even feel jingoistic, a remarkable achievement for a movie that made US Navy recruitment go up 500%.

The visuals are truly breathtaking. The effort taken to film the scenes has paid off. Anyone in the audience who doesn't go wow is indeed very cynical, and probably not very fun at parties. And that starting sequence - chef's kiss perfect.

For anyone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, there is no greater movie icon than Maverick. You could make a case for Rocky, or the Terminator, and those would be good cases. But really, every young boy (and many young girls) grew up wanting to wear leather jackets and aviators, and say ridiculous things like 'I feel the need, the need for speed'. If you were a boy of a certain age, and watched Star Movies often enough, you would have mapped all your friend circle to Goose, Iceman, Hollywood, Slider, and the rest of them. Of course, you were Maverick. I know at least four people my age who had email IDs with some form of maverick in them.

This is one of those rare cinematic marvels - a sequel that possibly overshadows the original. The only others I can think of are Godfather II, and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Honourable mention to Tokyo Drift. You can tell my tastes are very low brow.

Everything that harks back to the original was pitch perfect. Penny's house looks very similar to Charlie's, down to the neighbourhood. Maverick rode the original Ninja, and still has it now, joined by the latest brutal H2. The P51 Mustang was a nice touch.

Watching this movie is bittersweet. At its core, it is a reminder that Tom Cruise is the last great movie star. He puts his heart and soul into entertainment, literally risking life and limb to bring summer audiences into theatres. Between TG:M and the last 2 MIs that will come out soon, we are witnessing the end of an era. There will never be another like him. And our little world, this one of western movie-driven pop culture, will be the poorer for it.
v1p3r is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 11:33   #8585
Senior - BHPian

Untraceable (2008) on Amazon Prime:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0880578/

"FBI agent Jennifer Marsh is tasked with hunting down a seemingly untraceable serial killer who posts live videos of his victims on the Internet. As time runs out, the cat and mouse chase becomes more personal."

Movie was an ok watch. Some very stupid plot holes but overall a decent watch. Not for the squeamish.

3/5
deathwalkr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 19:22   #8586
Distinguished - BHPian

With all the excitement around Top Gun: Maverick, thought it may be a good time to refresh my memory of the original. Which OTT is it available on? Nothing on Netflix and Prime says I have to pay 75/- to rent it.
Old 5th June 2022, 20:28   #8587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
With all the excitement around Top Gun: Maverick, thought it may be a good time to refresh my memory of the original. Which OTT is it available on? Nothing on Netflix and Prime says I have to pay 75/- to rent it.
After spending quite a time on scouting for options of watching it free on the OTT, unfortunately renting it on the prime for 75/- is your only option.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 20:41   #8588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
With all the excitement around Top Gun: Maverick, thought it may be a good time to refresh my memory of the original. Which OTT is it available on?
Original is available for free on NetFlix US.
Old 5th June 2022, 21:24   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post

Just came back from watching it here in Pune. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. The theatre was packed, and the audience cheered Tom Cruise's entry like they would a Bollywood hero, and not just that, they gasped, sighed and applauded in the end.
The movie professes that its not about the plane , but the pilot, and largely stays true to its preachings. It peppers the nostaligia and throwback to the OG movie at the right moments as well. I actually liked the interaction between Maverick and Iceman, who, inspite of their professional difference of military rank and authority , are still "Ice" and "Mav". For me its the highlight of the movie. There was a moment during the climax when I thought the director was going for "tragic glory" but then suddenly the plot almost went into MI territory briefly, and then when the F14 Tomcat came into play, it was like watching bad old girl T-Rex being released from its paddock in Jurassic World to counter the Indominous Rex (i had witnessed the audience cheering for her too!).
All in all, thoroughly entertaining. If only they had retained the "Take my breath away" song instead of "Hold my Hand" because I didnt quite go gaga over this rendition. I loved Jennifer Connelly's role as well, she still exudes such charm, and yet is as steady as a rock in her character. One of the rare actresses who emotes with her eyes. In a sense there was also a passing of the baton to the younger folks at Top Gun, and I felt somewhere that the storyline is still not done. Maverick still has some military grade aviation kerosene left in his tank.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th June 2022 at 21:31.
fhdowntheline is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 05:10   #8590
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Just came back from watching it here in Pune. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears.
You've summed it up perfectly. Loved the movie! I was thrilled and grinned ear to ear after a long time. Great to see an action flick that gives an excellent break from all the superhero overdose in these last few years and is probably better than the original. This is a movie that has to be experienced on the big screen.

If anybody is planning to watch, do book it in 4DX. I thought this movie perfectly utilized the 4DX setup and it didn't feel like a gimmick at all. The 4DX 'choreography' was perfectly synchronized to the scenes on screen and it really elevated the experience for me.
deoelect is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 05:20   #8591
Senior - BHPian

Top Gun Maverick. What a movie. Mad Max Fury Road in the sky!
I have already watched it twice in IMAX. Going to watch it third time tomorrow.
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 15:30   #8592
BHPian

Interceptor (2022) : Netflix - 3/5

Name:  images 25.jpeg
Views: 512
Size:  37.2 KB

Watched this with no expectations and enjoyed it.
It's a fun weekend watch when you want to do nothing and enjoy some lazy time.

Usual story line, action, guns, thrill, sacrifice etc etc. It's cheesy, predictable, some times cringeworthy. But it's fun

If you like the old 'Hollywood one man saves whole world *ahem. America* movies' of Arnold, Stallone, Van-deme (the likes of commando, universal Soldier etc.) You will enjoy this movie.

Elsa Pataki did a wonderful job with the role, not a role to act, but to be believable as an action heroine role. Man, I wish I had the muscle defenition of her
Asish_VK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 15:42   #8593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
+1 Agree with the rating and description.

I really liked the cameo role of a Marvel superhero
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 17:12   #8594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you were a boy of a certain age, and watched Star Movies often enough, you would have mapped all your friend circle to Goose, Iceman, Hollywood, Slider, and the rest of them. Of course, you were Maverick. I know at least four people my age who had email IDs with some form of maverick in them.
My team-bhp handle is thanks to the original Top Gun. The sequel is spectacular, just did not want the movie to end. No unnecessary drama or violence, just clean action throughout, and what a treat to watch all those glorious machines, especially the Porsche at the end! Has to be seen on a big screen, watching it at IMAX is mandatory.
Maverick5490 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 23:05   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post

Attachment 2317597

Watched this with no expectations and enjoyed it.
It's a fun weekend watch when you want to do nothing and enjoy some lazy time.

Usual story line, action, guns, thrill, sacrifice etc etc. It's cheesy, predictable, some times cringeworthy. But it's fun

If you like the old 'Hollywood one man saves whole world *ahem. America* movies' of Arnold, Stallone, Van-deme (the likes of commando, universal Soldier etc.) You will enjoy this movie.

Elsa Pataki did a wonderful job with the role, not a role to act, but to be believable as an action heroine role. Man, I wish I had the muscle defenition of her
Apt rating.
Exactly my view. I enjoy such mindless flicks at times. Stress free fun. Also the action in patches was good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks