Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 11:28   #8491
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Dune
I cannot pour in my thoughts because I could not comprehend what the film was all about. Something about spice, sand and giant contraptions...

Last edited by aah78 : 5th April 2022 at 17:09. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely.
Old 28th March 2022, 21:09   #8492
Senior - BHPian

Watched Dune for the second time and I am as impressed as I was the first time. It is something that needs to be watched on high res/BIG screen.
Today it rightfully won all the technical Oscars but the most noticeable for me was the music which is just mesmerizing - typical Hans Zimmer. I was surprised he did not win it for Inception. They did the right thing this time.

If you enjoy movies for their technical superiority, this is an absolute must watch. Almost every frame can be screen grabbed and set as a wallpaper. The scale is truly massive and brings the sense of extreme proportions. 10/10 for CGI. Very, very well made movie with a complicated story line but not to the level Tenet.

An easy 4/5.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 21:17   #8493
BHPian

Quote:
Dune
Streaming: Prime
What the movie all about, just still unable to get the plot. Apart from Rebecca Fergusson none of the actors are familiar to me. Looked like a sci fi movie but without any feel of it. Cant recommend since I didnt understand the movie at all. If anybody has seen the movie kindly pour in your thoughts
Rating: 1/5
Honestly, the plot is not all that hard to follow. Its Game of Thrones in a futuristic feudal planetary setting. The houses are ruled by the Imperium, and the power dynamics are driven by “Spice” a psychedelic drug that enables interstellar travel, and found only on the harsh, dangerous desert planet Arrakis. The source material is way more complex, and Villeneuve has done a fair job of bringing it to screen. Please note that the movie is a 2-parter.

The star cast is also impressive, and familiar - Jason Momoa (Aquaman) Javier Bardem (Skyfall, No Country For Old Men), Zendaya (Spiderman), Josh Brolin (Thanos!).

Would rate it 4/5 for the spectacle, the atmosphere and the world-building.
Pequod is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 22:36   #8494
Senior - BHPian

Saw Imitation Games on Netflix. Very good movie about Alan Turing and his success in Decrypting the Enigma Machine which was crucial to shorten WW2. Good watch. Sad end to his life though for all of his achievements.
14000rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 16:34   #8495
BHPian

Just watched "The Upside"

Name:  The Upside.png
Views: 298
Size:  144.5 KB

Absolutely loved it! It stars Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, Nichole Kidman and others.
You will really have moments of laughter and then some that will make you a little bit emotional. Interestingly, the original film was French (The Intouchables) and this is the 3rd remake (First being Indian film, Oopiri) of the same film.
Its available on Amazon Prime
Would rate it 4.5/5
Dhillon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:51   #8496
BHPian

Dune
Saw it to join the cool people club...and I have to ask: where on earth is the rest of the movie? I belong to an era where the CGI was left to the imagination and the story was in front of me. Here it's the other way around.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 17:48   #8497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Dune
Saw it to join the cool people club...and I have to ask: where on earth is the rest of the movie? I belong to an era where the CGI was left to the imagination and the story was in front of me. Here it's the other way around.
Quote:

What the movie all about, just still unable to get the plot. Apart from Rebecca Fergusson none of the actors are familiar to me. Looked like a sci fi movie but without any feel of it. Cant recommend since I didnt understand the movie at all.

Guys,
This should answer your doubts (feel free to further googling to get more answers).

Dune for Dummies (original article heading)

Also there's definitely a part 2 coming. There could be more (in line with the books) but there's no clarity on that as of now.

P. s. Spoiler alert (wrt the link) if you haven't seen the movie.

Trivia: a lot of the concepts in Dune books by the author had 'inspired' many of the ideas in Star Wars and other popular books/movies.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st March 2022 at 17:55.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 16:42   #8498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Trivia: a lot of the concepts in Dune books by the author had 'inspired' many of the ideas in Star Wars and other popular books/movies.
If you want to know the full story, you can watch the old movie with same name in Lionsgate Play.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th April 2022 at 17:10. Reason: Quote trimmed. Typos.
Old 4th April 2022, 11:08   #8499
Senior - BHPian

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Prime)

"On Halloween 1968, Stella and her two friends meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and uncover a sinister notebook of stories."

Had no expectation watching this and my wife and i were both pleasantly surprised at this horror movie. We are really running short of horror movies to watch

3.5/5
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 20:37   #8500
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the recommendation. Finding a good horror movie is difficult. More often than not I find the horror movies laughably bad or just gory.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 16:58   #8501
BHPian

Has anyone watched 'Death on the Nile' yet? Curious about it due to presence of Ali Fazal and Gal Gadot but haven't met anyone who watched that movie and its IMDB rating seems underwhelming as well.
Old 5th April 2022, 17:04   #8502
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Has anyone watched 'Death on the Nile' yet? Curious about it due to presence of Ali Fazal and Gal Gadot but haven't met anyone who watched that movie and its IMDB rating seems underwhelming as well.
I saw it a couple of days ago. It is a fairly average movie. The middle one third of the movie is a drab and could have been shortened or even eliminated completely. Even the investigation is not as interesting as some other detective movies. It is watchable but quite forgettable as well.

In case you haven't seen these, you should rather watch them over the Death on the Nile-

Knives Out(2019)
Murder on the Orient Express(2017)
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:24   #8503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Has anyone watched 'Death on the Nile' yet?
Timepass. If you're a big Christie fan, then probably worth the watch just to check out the latest take on the well-known story. Not a memorable movie, but very good special-effects to recreate the Nile cruise and the landscape of those days.

And speaking of movies with underwhelming reviews, has anyone watched Morbius yet? The reviews seem uniformly bad. If I was in Bangalore, I wouldn't bother considering the traffic and hassle, but since I'm in a smaller town and just 15 mins away from the theater, thinking of going to check it out.

Last edited by am1m : 5th April 2022 at 17:27.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:47   #8504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
...It is a fairly average movie. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Timepass. If you're a big Christie fan, then probably worth the watch just to check out the latest take on the well-known story. ....
That's a pity. The book was fairly interesting.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:56   #8505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
That's a pity. The book was fairly interesting.
Perhaps that's the issue, the plot/ending is pretty well known to Christie readers. When I went for this movie, I'd already read the story, seen the previous version of the movie, AND watched the TV adaptation. Maybe for someone who hasn't read the book, it would be a much better show. Still worth a watch I think, at home.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks