Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2022, 12:03   #8461
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Batman ( 2022 )

First up, there are bound to be comparisons with Nolan and also with Christian Bale, it’s sort of unavoidable since Nolan’s trilogy of the batman movies have always been the benchmark.

So, is the 2022 version comparable? Surely not. However, Director Matt reeves gives what the fans want from a Batman movie. The movie’s tone is surely inspired by the earlier movies directed by Nolan, so its got a certain dark tone ( infact 90% of the movie is set in the night), has the batman to be a guy who is not flawless.

And Robert Pattinson has sort of fit in to the role very well, I would think he will have good fan following as the Batman and wouldn’t be surprised if he continues in this role for the next 2 movies at the very least.

A huge let down was the casting. None of the actors really stood out for me. In Nolan’s movies, you had Liam Neeson, Heath Ledger and then Tom Hardy as the villains and some one like Heath ledger was so good that you often had people rooting for him! But here, that’s missing. Not that you need a known face, but the villain needed to have a better character arc, which this movie lacks.

Lastly, the movie was extremely predictable, a lot of scenes have been inspired by the earlier Nolan’s trilogy, so there isn’t a fresh take to the whole thing.

One of the better Batman movies for sure, but the director and the producers have played it very safe, like stuck to a template that was created by Nolan.

My rating for this would be 3/5. Catch it in the theatres when you can.
motorworks is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 15:42   #8462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Batman ( 2022 )

First up, there are bound to be comparisons with Nolan and also with Christian Bale, it’s sort of unavoidable since Nolan’s trilogy of the batman movies have always been the benchmark.
+1.

The new movie feels like a different take of the Nolan trilogy. While the movie when reviewed independently, is very good, one can't help but compare it with Nolan's versions. And you find similarities in the scenes and dialogues too.

The movie felt a little incomplete in a way that some characters went out of scene abruptly. And the last quarter felt a little too predictable. Overall a nice experience to watch this in the theatre.

The Batman - 4/5
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 22:06   #8463
BHPian

After watching Thrillers and Dark shaded movies, wanted some relaxed watching, turned to some comedies

1. Murder Mystery [2019] - Netflix 3.5/5

Really enjoyed this movie, Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston have done really well. Had a good laugh at some of the one-liners and overall the movie is worth a watch at a lazy day.

2. Naked [2017] - Netflix 2.5/5

an OK watch. Movie theme inspired from Groundhog day. Nothing special, can watch to pass time and not worrying about any logic.
Old 11th March 2022, 11:55   #8464
Distinguished - BHPian

The Batman: 3.5 / 5

One characteristic of DC movies as compared to Marvel movies is that they focus on developing the negative roles with more depth & details. Be it Joker (Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix), Bane (Tom Hardy), General Zod (Michael Shannon), Two-Face Harvey (Aaron Eckhart), etc. At least the good DC movies are clearly differentiated by this factor as compared to the crappy ones (e.g. Suicide Squad, most of Ben Affleck Batman movies, etc.).

And thanks to Nolan, Heath Ledger and team, I go with a lot of high expectations with every Batman (and related) movie and with a pessimistic view of being disappointed. Contrary to Marvel movies, DC movies seem to experiment a lot more, and that's extremely refreshing to me. Some experiments work extremely well (e.g. Joker (2019)), some are a big mess.

'The Batman' plays it safe. But what it does well is ensuring the script is good, the villain of the movie holds the plot of the movie till the very end, and very good integration of sound effects, visual effects and acting without the need of CGI or sorts.

For example, the thrill you get on hearing Pattinson's (even though it's kind of okiesh looking) Batmobile here is almost as good as Bale's Batmobile. Things like that are what keeps the movie ticking. Pattinson does a fabulous job, so does Paul Dano as the 'Riddler'. It's the rest of the cast that plays a so-so role, especially the other villains in the movie.

Watch it only at IMAX. No other format. Else you won't get the full entertainment.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:32   #8465
Senior - BHPian

The Old Guard

Streaming: Netflix

Watched this based on the reviews which mentioned it a superhero movie but turned out about group of people who have the super power of not aging. The plot was Ok, nothing great to write about. Charlize Theron was the only known face in the cast and she looked more wooden without any acting expressions. A sequel is in the making already. One time watch recommended.

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 11th March 2022, 13:10   #8466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Batman: 3.5 / 5

One characteristic of DC movies as compared to Marvel movies is that they focus on developing the negative roles with more depth & details. ...'The Batman' plays it safe. ...For example, the thrill you get on hearing Pattinson's (even though it's kind of okiesh looking) Batmobile here is almost as good as Bale's Batmobile....Watch it only at IMAX. No other format. Else you won't get the full entertainment.
A big big +1 except that I would rate it at 4.5

I saw the Batman yesterday and was about to post my review but I see that your reviews reflects almost all I was going to say, down to watching it in the IMAX format and the whole hall reverberating with that deep gurgle of the ohh so so so delicious sound of the Turbo coming on when the Batmobile makes its appearance. I just couldn't contain myself and joined in the hooting and whistling.

My only gripe was that perhaps the movie was maybe 15-20mins longer than it should have been and could have shed some monologs / dialogs. Also I felt that Andy Serkis was wasted as Alfred.

Last edited by PGNarain : 11th March 2022 at 13:12.
PGNarain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 07:25   #8467
BHPian

The Batman

This has to be the most grounded Batman yet - even more so than the Nolan trilogy. There is no fantastical element at all, and CGI is bare minimum.

Pattinson is deliberate and methodical, and conveys the pathos of the character quite beautifully. Also, Batman is kind of a greenhorn here, and he pulls it off well. The romance with Catwoman seemed a bit rushed. The villain is enjoyable, though his character arc is a cliche as another member already noted.

Overall this feels more of a detective thriller than your typical superhero fare - and that’s sometimes a good thing.

Looking forward to the inevitable sequel!

PS - hold on to your seats for the Batmobile appearance - it growls, and how!!!

Last edited by Pequod : 13th March 2022 at 07:29.
Pequod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 07:50   #8468
Senior - BHPian

The Adam Project

Streaming: Netflix

Watched it for my favourite actor Ryan Reynolds but the movie is nothing great to write about. Another movie on time travelling and how the future is saved. Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Garner, Joe Saldana are all wasted. One time watch maybe for sci fi interested guys but can be skipped for something better.

Rating: 1/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 08:38   #8469
Distinguished - BHPian

Jumping on the 'The Batman' review bandwagon

Went for the movie with low expectations (I mean that Twilight guy as Batman?!), but came out after watching a really good movie. I think the overall tone is taken from a series by Frank Miller (Year One? I think), where Batman and Gordon are new to this whole clean up Gotham thing, just getting to know each other, both making mistakes, and both facing hostility in a crime-and-corruption ridden and decaying system/city. Far cry from the later Batman who is in total control and master of his game. As such, this movie does a great job capturing that.

Pattinson is great in the suit, but still the Twilight guy out of it But seriously, I remember reading a review long ago about how Christopher Reeve was great as Superman because he also played Clark Kent really well. In the suit it's slightly easier, Batman has to do certain expected things and as long as the actor/stuntmen hit those well (and some bad guys!) it'll register. Where Bale stood above the rest was that he made Bruce Wayne a separate character as well. On the other hand, Kravitz is probably the best Catwoman ever! Hope the next movie gives her an expanded role.

Awesome that they made it a murder mystery story, the Batman is after all a detective first.

But finally, they were showing the Dark Knight Rises on TV yesterday, re-watched that as well. And frankly, Nolan's trilogy is still the defining one! This one is good but not as good, totally worth the watch though. And yes, agree with everyone that it could have been at least 15-20 mins shorter, and better for that!

Last edited by am1m : 14th March 2022 at 08:43.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:06   #8470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Executive Decision
It is a good timepass movie, can watch any number of times. BTW there is no Tim Robbins in this movie. Do you mean David Suchet? The Hercule Poirot fella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
King Richard
Where did you catch it?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:29   #8471
Senior - BHPian

The Adam Project:

The first one hour or so was pretty entertaining with the camaraderie between Future Adam and Present Adam.

But after that it just got generic and meh.

2.5/5 for me. Could have been so much better

Ghostbusters: Afterlife:

Good for a one-time watch. But don't agree with the very high rating it has on imdb.

3/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 20:48   #8472
Senior - BHPian

The Batman

After reading so many Polarising reviews i was mentally prepared to be disappointed. But, I enjoyed it. Loved the Gotham City set up. Looked quite authentic. Even the casting was quite spot on and i liked the Pattinson Batman who is more Raw and inexperienced than Bale and Affleck ones..

But, the highlight was the background score, watched it in IMAX and in some scenes I felt the seats shaking, excellent stuff.

Movie has some flaws but overall it's a solid 4/5 for me.

Best part was my wife was quite reluctant to watch it as I forwarned her this is going to be a dark movie and unlike something she likes, but she too enjoyed it.

I hope the sequel will be as enjoyable considering the villain for it.

Btw, i still rate Nolan trilogy as better batman cos I can watch them any number of times. This one isn't something I can watch again and again.
harry10 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 23:34   #8473
BHPian

The Bombardment 2022
Netflix 8/10

A must watch, brilliantly acted and directed Danish WW2 movie based on true events , dubbed in English.

Tragic, Absolutely Heartbreaking yet so powerful!
Best movie i’ve seen in a while.

Name:  0772A9C72F4F4D6085CFA5D74BEC7751.jpeg
Views: 321
Size:  41.6 KB

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 14th March 2022 at 23:54.
AjinkyaP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 23:57   #8474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
It is a good timepass movie, can watch any number of times. BTW there is no Tim Robbins in this movie. Do you mean David Suchet? The Hercule Poirot fella?
My bad, I got Tim Robbins mixed up with Oliver Platt. Thanks for the correction

Meanwhile, caught Operation Finale on Netflix. The true story of Nazi war criminal being brought back from Argentina in a covert operation to face the courts and starring Ben Kingsley. Delightful watch. Recommended.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 09:26   #8475
Distinguished - BHPian

Was wondering what the bikes were that Batman and Catwoman were using in the latest movie, apparently they are custom builds of a Harley-Davidson FL Softail and a Beemer.

Sources: https://www.rideapart.com/news/40009...-photos-video/
https://returnofthecaferacers.com/mo...e-batman-2022/

Also, for Bond fans, while re-watching Skyfall yesterday was wondering what that painting was that Severine is showing to the buyer who gets shot and that led me to this awesome site, full of Bond trivia: https://007underthemangotree.wordpre...oman-with-fan/
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks