Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:20   #8431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Saw The Courier (2020): I deeply like the epsionage/WW2/cold war genre)
Head over to the ww2 thread, then. You may get some recommendations, and hopefully make some too.

I saw Munich- the edge of war on NF.
It's a fictionalized story set against the Munich agreement, about how two Oxford friends - one on the German side, the on the English one - try to influence the call Chamberlain was making. In some parts it enforces his fallacies, while in others it justifies them. But there is a shot of him waving his paper about, which sort of shows which way the makers lean.
A solid 4.5/5

Minus .5 because of the actor they chose for Hitler.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 11:07   #8432
Senior - BHPian

Most Dangerous Game (Prime): Hemsworth and Waltz. Good for a lazy afternoon watch.

3/5

Logan Lucky (Prime): Ensemble cast. Good movie to while away the time. Nothing serious, just a good ol' fashioned heist flick.

3.5/5

One Night In Miami (Prime): Rave reviews and ratings but oh man oh man was i disappointed.

2/5

King (Netflix): Good period movie. Worth your time.

3.5/5

The Outlaw king (Netflix): Similar period movie and again worth your time.

3.5/5
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 10:17   #8433
BHPian

Saw Eternals on Disney + over the weekend. It is easily THE worst MCU movie I've seen. For somebody who is apparently together for thousands of years, the characters have zero chemistry. With so many actors stuffed in, it becomes clear that the makers had no time for character development. The story jumps around timelines for no reason. I had heard good things about Kumail Nanjiani but the whole 'Bollywood' track is laughable. Add a bunch of completely irrelevant characters and you've guaranteed yourself a headache.

Imagine a movie so bad that even Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek's presence cannot save it.
Rating - 1/5
deoelect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:50   #8434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Saw Eternals on Disney + over the weekend. It is easily THE worst MCU movie I've seen. For somebody who is apparently together for thousands of years, the characters have zero chemistry. With so many actors stuffed in, it becomes clear that the makers had no time for character development. The story jumps around timelines for no reason. I had heard good things about Kumail Nanjiani but the whole 'Bollywood' track is laughable. Add a bunch of completely irrelevant characters and you've guaranteed yourself a headache.

Imagine a movie so bad that even Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek's presence cannot save it.
Rating - 1/5
Totally agree with you. You saved me from writing a review. The story is haphazardly scripted, Anjelina Jolie and Salma Hayek wasted in the film, too many emotional moments. Save yourselves a headache by not watching the movie.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:52   #8435
Senior - BHPian

Agree with this review of Eternals. Thankfully didn't have to waste any money on it in the theatre. I watched it on hotstar. But the 3 odd hours sitting for it was pure torture. Gets a Zero rating from me and I'd be quite generous there.

Marvel is going down the dumps with these new story arcs. I have not read any of these comics so do not know how much people like them but this story in Eternals movie was really really bad. I thought Shing Chi was poor but this one is far worse.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:35   #8436
Senior - BHPian

Agreed on the Eternals’ comments. Its a disaster. Good I didn’t bother visiting a theatre for this crap. Watching on hotstar itself was a pain. Rating 0/5.

About MCU, well heard great reviews on the latest spider-man flick. Any idea when can we expect it on OTT platforms?
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 13:11   #8437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post

Rating - 1/5
Echoed my sentiments.
It's been around 5 days when I started watching it and left it in midway, still haven't gotten around to complete it. Rarely happens with me. Compared to this Shang Chi was so much fun.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 14:21   #8438
BHPian

I’ll throw in at the Eternal dumpster fire rally here. As a serious Marvel fan, this movie took a week to finish! I kept falling asleep everyday. Had to finish it only to keep the long arc of the MCU in place, but gosh what a terrible movie! Shang Chi looks much better compared to this (though even that lacked any chemistry between actors).
For a casual viewer, this is a total skip.
Old 27th January 2022, 17:32   #8439
BHPian

Was forced to watch Eternals by my kids. My kids loved it and I couldn't absolutely stand it. Such a waste of Salma Hayek & Angelina Jolie seriously??
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:43   #8440
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Didn't watch the Spiderman when it released as I wanted to see it in IMAX and wasn't getting time for it. Then due to rising cases all cinemas were closed in NCR. Now they are finally opened with 50% occupancy so have booked tickets for CityWalk IMAX on Wednesday. Quite excited and hopefully it's gonna be an awesome experience.
Old 1st February 2022, 22:44   #8441
BANNED

I am getting really tired of the current crop of Hollywood releases. Most suffer from poor writing, poor to average acting and over reliance on CGI. So I went hunting for old Hollywood movies from the 1940-60s and boy, was I blown away.

Here are some of the movies I have watched over the past two months. If you have not watched these, you should definitely consider; they are so much better than the mind numbing slop being dished out.

The Trial 1962 imdb 7.7
Quote:
Josef K wakes up in the morning and finds the police in his room. They tell him that he is on trial but nobody tells him what he is accused of. In order to find out about the reason of this accusation and to protest his innocence, he tries to look behind the facade of the judicial system. But since this remains fruitless, there seems to be no chance for him to escape from this Kafkaesque nightmare.
Double Indemnity 1944 imdb 8.3
Quote:
A Los Angeles insurance representative lets an alluring housewife seduce him into a scheme of insurance fraud and murder that arouses the suspicion of his colleague, an insurance investigator.
Gaslight 1940 imdb 7.4
Quote:
Twenty years after the murder of Alice Barlow, her house is finally occupied again. However, the husband from the couple who have moved in has a secret which he will do anything to keep hidden.
The Hidden Room 1949 imdb 7.4
Quote:
London psychiatrist Clive Riordan, royally fed up with the repeated affairs of his wife Storm, plots a seemingly 'perfect' revenge against her latest lover, American Bill Kronin.
The Reckless Moment 1949 imdb 7.1
Quote:
After discovering the dead body of her teenage daughter's lover, a housewife takes desperate measures to protect her family from scandal.
Shadow of a Doubt 1943 imdb 7.8
Quote:
A teenage girl, overjoyed when her favorite uncle comes to visit the family in their quiet California town, slowly begins to suspect that he is in fact the "Merry Widow" killer sought by the authorities.
Ministry of Fear 1944 imdb 7.2
Quote:
Stephen Neale has just been released from an asylum during World War II in England when he accidentally stumbles onto a deadly Nazi spy plot, and tries to stop it.
12 Angry Men 1957 imdb 9
Quote:
The jury in a New York City murder trial is frustrated by a single member whose skeptical caution forces them to more carefully consider the evidence before jumping to a hasty verdict.
Note: Some of these are available on Prime Video USA or can be acquired on optical media.
Electromotive is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:40   #8442
BHPian

Watched Snake Eyes on Youtube movies. Yes, I rented it.
I am a big fan of the action figures, comics from Hasbro. I have fond memories of my childhood.

Anyway, the movie was a complete let down.
I had no expectation of a great story. But the stupidity of each character left a bitter taste.
The first movie that came out a decade ago feels much better in every respect.

I would not recommend the latest one. Avoid even on the OTT once available.
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:43   #8443
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Munich: Edge of War on Netflix last night. A fast-paced, simple-to-follow thriller based on events leading up to WW2. I liked it a lot, would rate 7/10.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:43   #8444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Watched Munich: Edge of War on Netflix last night. A fast-paced, simple-to-follow thriller based on events leading up to WW2. I liked it a lot, would rate 7/10.
Thoughts on hitler?
I think they took someone who was meant to portray the hitler of 44-45, and put him in 1938-39....
Old 4th February 2022, 13:51   #8445
Senior - BHPian

Spider-Man: No way Home.

Finally saw it at Select CityWalk IMAX.
Great experience and worth the wait to watch it in IMAX. From start to finish it's an exhilarating fun. Spider-Man 2 still remains my favourite Spidey movie but in terms of pure entertainment value this is absolutely Gold. So many Nostalgic references and full of fan service. Can't say more without getting into spoilers. Also, absolutely loved the Doctor Strange part and cant wait for his Multiverse movie now.

Rating - 9.5/10
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks