Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 00:50   #8356
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The dark side of the dark knight. Eagerly waiting for this
Not sure if you were aware of it, but this is a fan-made (fan-edit actually) concept trailer. No official clarity yet if Joaquin Phoenix's Joker is in this movie, shown here in the last scene.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 01:24   #8357
Distinguished - BHPian

Dune

Being a big fan of the books and a vocal critic of the disappointing adaptation of David Lynch's 80s version, I went into this with low expectations. But I was destined to be wrong, and how!

Denis Villeneuve has made Frank Herbert proud, because Dune is exactly what he visualised as - a breathtaking experience! Liberties taken for the movie adaptation aside, I am really glad that they have made full justice to the story by taking the decision to split the original story into 2 parts, with the second part due in 2023. It would be interesting if they continue the series if the second part is a hit, since the novels progressively become unfilmable.

Led by an all-star cast and filled with some awesome cinematography and set pieces, Dune is a film which is not to be watched, but rather it's to be experienced.

Watch it on the big screen, preferably in IMAX if you can.

* * * * ½

No Time To Die

I have been so invested in the James Bond character ever since I watched Octopussy when I was 9, that 007 has become a huge part of my life ever since.

I absolutely loved the raw, gritty, human side of Bond which Daniel Craig had brought with his portrayal, hence I was affected a bit (emotionally) by the time the climax rolled out. Craig has grown old and grizzled but has nailed it yet again. Ana De Armas reminded me so much of Lois Chiles from Moonraker and Barbara Bach from The Spy Who Loved Me (very obvious inspirations) in her short appearance. Lea Seydoux didn't have much to do. Rami Malek did his best - not his fault because the scripted character was very obviously measured short.

Watch carefully and you can make out plenty of nods to many previous Bond films (if you have watched all 24 of them umpteen times like me), including the end credits song taken from On Her Majesty's Secret Service's main theme.

Watch it with fond memories, and say goodbye to Craig. But, as the saying (in the very last part of the end credits) goes - "James Bond Will Return."

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I liked it for what it is - introducing a new superhero into the whole New Avengers universe. Don't compare it with the Thanos-duo of yore and one might appreciate it more. The leads needed to do better, yes, but the film is mostly about visual dazzles, fantastic VFX effects, martial art sequences and an immersive storyline. They could have trimmed about 30 minutes from the final product, though. Tony Leung did great with his part.

Watchable fare.

Red Notice

A fun-filled entertainer from start to finish. Gal Gadot in red is a dish for the eyes! One of the rare films where Ryan Reynolds doesn't annoy. Dwayne Johnson is starting to look aged though. Also, did he look tired in a few scenes? Overworked much, IMO.

Decent.

* * * ½

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th November 2021 at 01:27.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:11   #8358
Team-BHP Support

The Ghost Writer: Lionsgate on Amazon Prime:
4 / 5

I’m torn whether to give it 3.5 or 4 stars but overall this is a good watch and I’d err on the side of giving it a 4. Roman Polanski directed with a great cast to boot. It’s not racy (and not meant to be either) but its a decently grippy story nevertheless with a high order of direction, editing and of top notch leads.
Attached Images

Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:54   #8359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not sure if you were aware of it, but this is a fan-made (fan-edit actually) concept trailer. No official clarity yet if Joaquin Phoenix's Joker is in this movie, shown here in the last scene.
Aware of this and I am not a big fan of Phoenix as the Joker. I am more interested in the riddler and pattinson's portrayal of batman.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:00   #8360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Aware of this and I am not a big fan of Phoenix as the Joker. I am more interested in the riddler and pattinson's portrayal of batman.
Well I wish they do

But I'm actually curious how they left the Zack Snyder's (/Joss Whedon) Justice League and are restarting the Batman, but the flash movie is also going to come which has still Ezra Miller playing the role. Not sure if that has been explained on the web.
Old 19th November 2021, 20:29   #8361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Watched The Big Short on Netflix.
Enjoyed it thoroughly, nicely made and explained accompanied with great acting and some great actors.
Will give a solid 4.5/5

It is about how a group of people made profits from the 2008 sub-prime crisis.
You do need to have some basic knowledge on how bonds, mortgages etc work or else may find the film too fast paced and everything going above the head. I had to pause and go back a few times to properly understand and also Google a few things here and there but if you go through the pain then you will enjoy the movie, how people identified an opportunity and made riches while taking huge risks!
If you liked the Big short, you will enjoy Too Big to Fail on hotstar. Tells the same story but from the US governments perspective on how they tried to save some of those giants but could not due to the personal greed of many CEO's
Bulls14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 09:57   #8362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Red Notice

Dwayne Johnson is starting to look aged though. Also, did he look tired in a few scenes? Overworked much, IMO.

Decent.

* * * ½
Maybe the passing away of his father just before the movie shoot started would have affected his acting in the movie. That sort of thing can weigh one down.

But i wish he would get some real serious action movies. Maybe in black adam he cuts loose.

I found Gal Gadot irritating in the movie and felt Ryan carried the movie completely
Old 20th November 2021, 11:34   #8363
BHPian

The Forgotten Battle - Netflix

One time watch.
2.5/5

T-34 on Amazon Prime

Great movie with amazing action scenes.

4.5/5
NG_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 14:53   #8364
AYP
Senior - BHPian

King Richard- 2021

A movie based on the early lives of Serena and Venus Williams and their family. A must watch. Stars Will Smith.

Didn't watch this on the usual sources.
Old 21st November 2021, 14:09   #8365
Senior - BHPian

No Time To Die : 4/5

The story-line is gripping, with plenty action tastefully done. James Bonds' characterisation (sadly) changes from a suave womanizing cloak & dagger spy, & climaxes to an emotional devout self-sacrificing father. As goes with the theme these days, surely the character-development is going to "give way" to someone else based on "politically correct" gender/race.

Anyway, the villain lacked weight(!) & had too much character. His death didn't feel like a significant downfall.

Still, this OO7 would likely be the last one of its conventional kind. Good watch.

Free Guy : 3.5 / 5
Simple story with a backstory of a VR game with AI character falling in love. Scripted with light humor. But now Ryan Reynolds needs to outgrow the Deadpool tone in his movies. Good Saturday evening watch, especially watching Villanelle.

Old : 1.5/5
If you have watched the trailer, you've seen the movie. Theres barely anything else left.

I have Dune lined up for tonight.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 21st November 2021 at 14:10.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 15:35   #8366
Senior - BHPian

Saw DUNE

I liked it. Starts off slow but then picks up pace in the middle. Cinematography was excellent and world building was good. Looking forward to the next part when it comes.*

Rating - 7.5/10
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 22:53   #8367
Distinguished - BHPian

North Country Netflix

A movie inspired by a true story and having a stellar cast of Charlize Theron in the lead and Woody Harrelson amongst others. The story goes back and forth and is set during the early nineties about female workers of the mines and their struggles. Charlize Theron is brilliant and carries the film through, wonderful watch. Thanks to streaming platforms that we get to watch these brilliant movies every now and then.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th November 2021 at 06:22. Reason: Typo
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 06:38   #8368
BHPian

Any worthwhile VPN to pick up in the blackfriday sale ? This is to mainly watch US content on nextflix / amazon from India.
Old 26th November 2021, 13:12   #8369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Any worthwhile VPN to pick up in the blackfriday sale ? This is to mainly watch US content on nextflix / amazon from India.
I use Surfshark. It is a good VPN app. But Amazon Prime understands that I am using a VPN and does not allow me to see US content. I do not have Netflix, but I have heard that you can see US content with VPN.
Old 27th November 2021, 06:28   #8370
BHPian

Any VPN I can use to watch hotstar india content overseas?
Primarily, want to watch EPL, rest of the content is secondary. I read somewhere PureVPN has india server but am yet to try it out. Any suggestions.

Most Viewed