Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 18:55   #8236
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Few good political thrillers in prime, all related to big brothers concealing conspiracies.
> The Mauritanian
> A Most Wanted Man
> Kill the messenger
> Backstabbing for Beginners
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 22:13   #8237
Distinguished - BHPian

Suicide Squad (2021): 3.5 / 5

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this movie pretty well, especially for a dark DC movie. Saw a lot of Marvel tricks in this one which isn't the case for DC movies. Subtle jokes (including several lame ones and some really good ones) nicely done without moving away from the script. No over dramatization (except the last ~30 minutes) but then this is a superhero (or rather supervillain) movie so kind of expected that.

Idris Elba and Stallone (King Shark) are the pick of the lot but this movie isn't about any specific / individual characters - the whole bunch come together quite nicely.

The script is kind of ludicrous but the decent direction with small bits of humor kind of holds the movie together. The CGI/graphics on Idris's gun/gear is amazing!
Old 18th August 2021, 12:23   #8238

I've had quite the opposite experience with the movie..

It's not intended to be real, but philosophical in how we live our lives and whats relevant/ precious and so on.

If you're not the kinds to reflect on that.. then probably wont appeal to you as "general entertainment"

To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well i went to watch "A curious case of benjamin button" and came out feeling weird.

Movie's about a guy called Benjamin(Brad pitt) who is born as a old baby. He leads a life in the reverse fashion. Starts growing younger as the days passes and very similar to a clock in a railway station which is mad eto go reverse by its maker in the hope that his son whose life is lost in a battle can return home alive.
So the actor has been abandoned in a old age home and is being taken care of by a nanny in the same place as her own child. So he does things which a young chap does but it looks weird as it looks more like a 70 yr old kissing a 15yr old:-)

The weird thing i found about the movie is this
1) How does his body start shrinking when he grows older because he was born as a baby so he should die like a 85yr old baby faced tall guy.
2) Why is the movie based with the hurricane in the backdrop. It served onlyu one purpose and that too in the ending.

Well watch it on home video and dont waste time in a theatre for this one. There is a very good looking classic bike in the movie. Looked somehow like a yezdi with bullets sound. Only pleasing thing in this movie.
Overall 2/5. This movie got me bored and made me ponder over whether the jury at the oscars watch such movies or doze off through it and thats the reason they get nominated???
crashnburn_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:11   #8239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post

It's not intended to be real, but philosophical in how we live our lives and whats relevant/ precious and so on.

If you're not the kinds to reflect on that.. then probably wont appeal to you as "general entertainment"

To each his own.
Hehe, you reverted to a more than 12 year old post

Yes, I agree the movie is totally philosophical and I loved every bit of it when I watched it as soon as it got released. The nominations it received for Oscars were well worth it. May be I will just watch it again now since you have reminded me of it with this post
Old 18th August 2021, 15:21   #8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Hehe, you reverted to a more than 12 year old post

Yes, I agree the movie is totally philosophical and I loved every bit of it when I watched it as soon as it got released. The nominations it received for Oscars were well worth it. May be I will just watch it again now since you have reminded me of it with this post
Did I? Its the Last vs First post order thing of a thread, that I complained about in my intro post.

I finally found how to "change" it in settings. Hopefully, that wont repeat.
Old 18th August 2021, 17:41   #8241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post

To each his own.
Almost 12 years since i reviewed this. My opinion may differ if i watch it again with age. Thanks as it will make me check it again.
Old 18th August 2021, 23:20   #8242
Distinguished - BHPian

Beckett on Netflix (Starring John David Washington)

What kind of a movie is called by an underwhelming pronoun such as this, I wondered. But hey, it's got Denzel's son in it. We've seen him in HBO's Ballers and in Nolan's Tenet.

This movie is certainly one of a kind. The story is set in modern Greece, with enthralling visuals of the Greek countryside thrown in. Greece's modern day political and economic troubles also rear their head in the storyline; I can't think of any reason why I would have thought of Greece in my daily bustle anyhow, so this movie is good in that aspect. It jogs your memory, makes you recall or question what you know about Greece.

I find Denzel Jr. to be as phlegmatic as his dad is in his roles; you can't stop either of the Denzels from just being themselves in most movies! In Junior's case, I feel like he won't ever break free from the mould he first came in to tinseltown in, in Ballers; with the beard and a finite set of facial expressions. But hey, this is just to say that the Denzel lineage doesn't lend itself to character acting, or to Christian Bale's method of transforming himself as a chameleon would, depending on the role at hand.

The movie's story is taut as a whip, ever ready to lash out and doles out copious doses of violence. And It has its storytelling fundamentals right - show, don't tell.

But some of the movie's twists are in the end, wholly predicable.

Overall rating - 7/10

Last edited by Aditya : 19th August 2021 at 05:07. Reason: Spoiler
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:58   #8243
Senior - BHPian

Watched two "horror" movies over the the last couple of days:

Aftermath (2021):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10691162/

"A young couple struggling to stay together, when they are offered an amazing deal on a home with a questionable past that would normally be beyond their means. In a final attempt to start fresh as a couple they take the deal."

The lead actress really brings out the trauma her character goes through. Watched the movie on a whim and was decent enough

3/5

The Dark and The Wicked (2020):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10229558/

"On a secluded farm in a nondescript rural town, a man is slowly dying. His family gathers to mourn, and soon a darkness grows, marked by waking nightmares and a growing sense that something evil is taking over the family."

Brrr!!! What a creepy movie. Movie was slow, dark and just unnerves you.

3.5/5
Old 20th August 2021, 08:18   #8244
Distinguished - BHPian

Strictly off topic, but a sarcastic critique of every Hollywood movie ever made, which has scenes shot on foreign lands

locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:49   #8245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Recently watched, Zodiac [2007; Netflix] and Spotlight [2015; Sony Liv].

Both the movies are based on real-life heinous crimes and how a bunch of journalists/cops relentlessly pursued the criminals. The drama and screenplay is fantastic relying purely on dialogues and the acting of the leads, and not on action sequences/gore/creepiness.

I have become a fan of Mark Ruffalo's understated and effortless acting after watching these movies.

Zodiac might feel a tad long, but otherwise both of them are a great watch : 4/5
Watching Zodiac now on Netflix. You are spot on with the effortless and understated acting of Mark Ruffalo. Also it is funny watching Iron Man and the Hulk in their normal forms working together.
Old 20th August 2021, 14:53   #8246
AZT
BHPian

Saw Godzilla vs Kong recently on Prime. If you're a fan of the previous movies this is definitely worth a watch. There's a nice little surprise in the movie which I wasn't expecting, good stuff. Posting trailer below

Old 20th August 2021, 15:20   #8247
BHPian

While the premise was good and it built up nicely, i feel that climax was a let down especially some bollywood style "stunts".

Okay to pass in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Beckett on Netflix (Starring John David Washington)

What kind of a movie is called by an underwhelming pronoun such as this, I wondered. But hey, it's got Denzel's son in it. We've seen him in HBO's Ballers and in Nolan's Tenet.
krinpit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:39   #8248
Distinguished - BHPian

So apparently the next Spiderman movie trailer has leaked. I guess it won't be long before the original trailer comes up soon.

But surprisingly the teaser trailer has been out for about 3 weeks! How come no one's talking about it?

Multiverse setup with Andrew Garfield, Toby Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Matt Murdoch and many more playing cameo roles representing their alternate universes (I guess) - this is going to be interesting to see how Marvel stiches the previous two iterations of Spider Man which was completely under Sony Pictures territory than Marvel back then.

ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:05   #8249
Senior - BHPian

er because it's fan made?

"This Is my fan-made concept trailer for the upcoming Spider-Man No Way Home! I know the wait for the real trailer is killing everyone so hopefully, this will hold you over "
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:12   #8250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er because it's fan made?

"This Is my fan-made concept trailer for the upcoming Spider-Man No Way Home! I know the wait for the real trailer is killing everyone so hopefully, this will hold you over "
Ohh - I saw the video was put up by the 'official' Marvel Studios profile (didn't read the description ) and thought it was an interesting take - but now that's confusing.

Edit: Now I see that's not the official Marvel Studios Entertainment profile. The official one's named "Marvel Entertainment". Talk about being taken for a ride! (pun un-intended).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd August 2021 at 13:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks