Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2020, 00:40   #7606
BHPian

Subject with respect to current situation I finished 2 movies in this lock down period.

1. Contagion - available on Prime. I can not rate it but good movie. But I did not understand immunity part in it.
Just noticed that this movie someone has already referred.

2. Outbreak - 1995 movie I had on external hard disk for long time but had earlier only watched first 5 minutes. Now watched fully. Also a good movie.

Please do not get scared though. In both the above movies fatality rate is high compared to Corona virus. This is not spoiler IMO.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 28th March 2020 at 00:48.
Old 28th March 2020, 08:47   #7607
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Subject with respect to current situation I finished 2 movies in this lock down period.
1. Contagion - available on Prime.
2. Outbreak - 1995 movie I had on external hard disk for long time but had earlier only watched first 5 minutes.
Please do not get scared though. In both the above movies fatality rate is high compared to Corona virus. This is not spoiler IMO.
If a regional movie dealing with an outbreak interests you, do watch "Virus" on Prime.
It is a Malayalam movie with English subtitles and deals with how the state of Kerala tackled the Nipah Virus. Being based on an Indian scenario, I guess this is the best we can expect our government to tackle the Coronavirus.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:03   #7608
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you want to see a cute movie that'll make you smile & laugh, check out Long Shot. Giving it 3.5 / 5 stars. Especially view it if you are a Seth Rogen fan. Movie is about a smart writer & a politician friend who is going to run for president.

On Google Play for 150 bucks:
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:38   #7609
BHPian

Finally watched some major Jake Gyllenhaal movies:

1. Nightcrawler (with Rene Russo, Late Bill Paxton) (4.5/5)-epic movie, Gyllenhaal at his darkest best (Donnie Darko style!) about freelance news story collectors and their nightly adventures in the streets of LA

2. Prisoners (with Hugh Jackman) (4/5)-superb movie about missing daughters and dads taking on the law to find them

3. Velvet Buzzsaw (with Rene Russo) (3.5/5)-good movie, satire about art and its valuation and people around it in high society

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 2nd April 2020 at 12:41.
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:18   #7610
Distinguished - BHPian

Call of the Wild : 2 / 5

A fictional story about a dog (kinda like St.Bernard) who goes on a life discovery mode as he moves from owner to owner, finally connecting with his true owner and friend, Harrison Ford, and running through one adventure after another. The movie tries to have a very goody goody feel like Disney / Pixar movies but doesn't really do so. The dogs in the movie are pseudo-animated (like Smaug in The Hobbit) which gives a very weird situation that is neither dog like nor human like.

Give it watch if you have nothing to do and like dog movies.
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:49   #7611
BHPian

Watched:

1. Onward (2020): With so many good reviews about the movie & a promising trailer, I decided to give this movie a try. Well, the movie had good intentions but the execution, character design was totally a miss. It’s totally bad and amateur. The emotional moments work but it lacks in imagination and the characters are mostly annoying. The action picks up towards the end but by then I was thinking when will this movie end. The characters never really grow on you and the storyline is just plain - 2/5

2. The Platform (2020): This movie correctly represents how rich and powerful have the complete authority and represents our society’s ugly reality. This movie takes you to a dark and deepest corners of the human soul. The movie is very graphic and disturbing to watch but I feel thats what our society has reduced to. A very well executed idea but the end kind of leaves you disappointed. 3.5/5

3. The Boy (2016): If you think this is your average horror movie, think again. I don’t know why this movie has such low rating on the internet maybe because of lame ending or weak side cast but The storyline and plot are so gripping that the ending of movie leaves you wanting for more. I would say with so many ‘doll’ movies out there I finally found some originality in the movie (read unpredictability). Do give it a one time watch but don’t expect this movie to end well maybe the second part that's come out in Feb-2020 would make some sense. 3.5/5

4. The Invisible Man (2020): This movie should be named an Invisible plot movie. There were moon-sized crater in the movie’s plot but I gotta hand it to Elizabeth moss. She is simply brilliant and kept the movie going. Like Jodie Foster, she plays victim’s role so very well and was evident in the movie. Just love it. She was able to induce anxiety and tension between the movie scenes. This movie reminds of ‘Hollow Man’. A good one time watch if you don’t want to apply too much brain - 3.5/5

5. Wonder Park (2019): It's an absolute joy to watch this movie. A perfect family kids movie. Believe me you are gonna love this movie for its cute voice, characters and animation. It’s not the best movie but not definitely not a bad movie. A very well written animated movie - 4/5

6. The Way Back (2020): It is just another basketball movie wherein the coach (Ben Affleck) deals with his dark past and his demons. Ben Affleck is just awesome and truly brings out the sadness and grim associated with its character. It is because of him the movie deserves an appreciation otherwise this movie has got nothing else going on for it. The movie is very very predictable and one might say that it's boring. A lot could have been done for the movie but sad to say it wasn't really there - 2.5/5 (just for Ben’s sake. Yes, I’m stupid)

7. Don’t Knock Twice (2016): I guess these kinds of movies have become too cliched these days. You wake the ghost, it latches on to you and you either die or kill it. This movie has absolutely nothing going on in its favour. Average cast, weak storyline and awful ending. How hard can it be to give a proper or at least a decent ending but no, they have to mess it up. I would pass this movie if I were you - 1/5

8. Away (2019): Don’t judge this movie just because its animation is poor, which I guess it is but this movie is more than that. It a short silent movie which says so much more than your average movie. The background score used in the movie is so much brilliant and is very peaceful. Do give it a shot with your kid to amplify his imagination. -3/5

9. Hurt Locker (2008): I guess I watched this movie out of a sheer number of awards it has won but sadly I don’t really see why it has won so many. The movie is simply boring, senseless and lacks commitment to scenes. so in the movie, all the Iraqi people are portrayed as terrorists and all US soldiers as lone-wolf assassins. I am not judging anyone here but that's what I felt. You are better off without watching this movie. - 2/5

10. Searching (2018): Well, watching this movie was a reaction of getting super bored on a Monday night. I was like, hey, I know this guy from Harold and Kumar series and Star Trek series, why not give a shot and what a shot it turned out to be. Except for a few plot holes this movie is amazing. It might seem like something it is a gruesome movie but it will leave you in tears (emotionally). It rightly depicts how social media affects our children. A good watch - 4/5
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:42   #7612
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post

Add 93 days to the list - based on true events during Ebola outbreak in Nigeria. I saw it on Netflix.
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:20   #7613
Senior - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched two brilliant movies over the last few days:-

1) The Gentlemen, A typical Guy Ritchie movie, great cast, right from Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam, Collin Farrell and even a very different role for Hugh Grant. If you have loved any of Guy Ritchie movies like Snatch, Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels etc, then this one is on the same lines. More than just a fun watch.

2) Papillon, This is based on a true story of criminals being sent to remote jails in French Guiana. Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek excel in their roles of Prisoners who turn friends and make many attempts of escaping from the prison. I thought Rami Malek was just brilliant, really lived that character. The movie is a bit slow, and also has very hard hitting scenes in the prison, so please watch after thorough reviews in IMDB.

Im planning to watch Blackkklansman this weekend, lets see how that one turns up.

Last edited by motorworks : 3rd April 2020 at 07:22.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:35   #7614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

2) Papillon, This is based on a true story of criminals being sent to remote jails in French Guiana. Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek excel in their roles of Prisoners who turn friends and make many attempts of escaping from the prison. I thought Rami Malek was just brilliant, really lived that character. The movie is a bit slow, and also has very hard hitting scenes in the prison, so please watch after thorough reviews in IMDB.

Im planning to watch Blackkklansman this weekend, lets see how that one turns up.
I remember watching the version with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. Excellent movie
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:03   #7615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I remember watching the version with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. Excellent movie
Me too. The character played by McQueen really hit hard. He just never stopped. Really motivating.

Watched a Korean movie called the host. 3/5

But Gonjiam Haunted Asylum was a good watch. 4/5. Some good scare moments.
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:08   #7616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
Any good mystery thrillers to suggest? In the line of 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'??
Gone Girl
I am Legend
Little Boy - Not a thriller, but for sure a wonderful family movie
Man From Earth - Fantastic movie that sometimes will shake your belief. Only dialogues though
Fury - WW2 based lovely movie
Django Unchained - I'm sure you've watched this
Red Sun
Cleanskin
The Double
The Others - Although a ghost type movie, but I find it more thriller than horror; no scary faces
12 Years a Slave - Fantastic movie
Shinning - We got a little scared, but must watch
Empires of the Sun - Fantastic thriller based on WW2
Where Eagles Dare - If you're fan of Eastwood, then forget it, you would've watched
The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas - If you're kind hearted, don't watch this pls
Duel - Mr. Spielberg's first movie
A Bronx Tale - Fantastic gangster movie
Ghost & Darkness - No ghost assured, but based on something else, trust me you'll love this thriller
Manchurian Candidate - There's a newer one of Denzel Washington, this one is original, don't miss it

Most above are good thrillers, pls let me know if you want more; try to search for old Alfred Hitchcock's movies, they're fantastic thrillers even today
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:26   #7617
Team-BHP Support

^^ Good list. I'll add Shutter Island, The Prestige and Sixth Sense. I enjoyed all of these thrillers.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd April 2020 at 11:30.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:48   #7618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

3. 1917 -

7. The Foreigner -
A quick question, are these available on any of the streaming platforms? If yes, then which one?
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:19   #7619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Most above are good thrillers, pls let me know if you want more; try to search for old Alfred Hitchcock's movies, they're fantastic thrillers even today
Brilliant list. I have watched a few of them and will try to catch up on the pending ones.

Few addition from my end, not sure if it has discussed before:
The Game (1997). Starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

The Illusionist (2006): Starring Edward Norton.
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:38   #7620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Gone Girl
I am Legend
Little Boy - Not a thriller, but for sure a wonderful family movie
Man From Earth - Fantastic movie that sometimes will shake your belief. Only dialogues though
Fury - WW2 based lovely movie
Django Unchained - I'm sure you've watched this
Red Sun
Cleanskin
The Double
The Others - Although a ghost type movie, but I find it more thriller than horror; no scary faces
12 Years a Slave - Fantastic movie
Shinning - We got a little scared, but must watch
Empires of the Sun - Fantastic thriller based on WW2
Where Eagles Dare - If you're fan of Eastwood, then forget it, you would've watched
The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas - If you're kind hearted, don't watch this pls
Duel - Mr. Spielberg's first movie
A Bronx Tale - Fantastic gangster movie
Ghost & Darkness - No ghost assured, but based on something else, trust me you'll love this thriller
Manchurian Candidate - There's a newer one of Denzel Washington, this one is original, don't miss it

If you are into cold war thrillers, "The hunt for red october" is worth a watch. Sean connery, alec baldwin starer based on a book of same name. Forgot the author and is part of series.

Last edited by srini1785 : 3rd April 2020 at 14:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks