Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-506.html)

Parasite: 5/5
Thoroughly enjoyed the rich/poor divide and the portrayal. Watched it back-to-back twice to take it all in. Why should we carry its Oscar baggage (of expectations) and judge it on it? It kept me rapt, and the richness of its characters and performances struck a chord within. Truly a riotous social satire that's superbly entertaining. Please watch:

Name:  Screen Shot 20200307 at 8.23.27 AM.png
Views: 2017
Size:  542.1 KB

Watched:

1. Midway: The movie is based on the real events of the battle of midway. Its an exceptionally awesome movie and with captivating performances - 4.5/5

2. Dolittle: Based on the original movie, this movie also involves an actor (Robert Downey jr.) who can talk to animals and his quest to cure the queen. The film simply lacks soul and storyline. I would give it a miss - 1/5

3. Charlie's Angels (2019): A true wannabe movie. The only character that had the movie-going was Patrick Stewart. Colossal waste of time. I would give it a miss - 2/5

4. Spies In Disguise: Anime being my fav genre, I liked the movie and Will Smith is just amazing. So in the movie, a world-class spy(Smith) gets himself turned into a pigeon and the chronicles after that. A good one time watch - 3.5/5

5. Superman-Red Son: Set in the 1950s, its an alternate reality of superman i.e. instead landing in Kansas city he lands in the Soviet Union and his life after that. It's quite refreshing to see things differently after having to see countless superman and batman movies. A good one time watch - 3.5/5

Next up: Richard Jewell, Spenser Confidential, Guns Akimbo, Sonic the Hedgehog, Escape From Pretoria and Birds of Prey.

Doctor Sleep:

A sequel to The Shining and by God does it deliver. At almost 3hrs it was a bit long, but it was an interesting continuation to the Shining.

That guy Stephen King is a master of weirdness :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive_angry (Post 4764826)
Watched:

5. Superman-Red Son: Set in the 1950s, its an alternate reality of superman i.e. instead landing in Kansas city he lands in the Soviet Union and his life after that. It's quite refreshing to see things differently after having to see countless superman and batman movies. A good one time watch - 3.5/5

I read the graphic novel it is based on sometime back. These alternate universe movies are really good, give you a lot to think about.

Movies based on Frank Miller's amazing graphic novels like 'Batman: Year One', 'The Dark Knight Returns', 'Killing Joke' and 'Sin City' are too good clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 4760970)
Parasite: 4 / 5

Brilliant movie - I wish I had been able to see this before the Oscars came out; it would have felt more enjoyable with my expectations being much lower. But definitely worth all the buzz!

Don't ask how, but I got Amazon USA's library set up on my TV here clap:. Watched "Vice" with the family and thoroughly enjoyed it. Easily 4 / 5 stars, and Christian Bale has done an unbelievable convincing job.

The collection of videos on Amazon USA is insanely awesome. Average cost works out to $4.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-annotation-20200308-093216.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 4762895)
Watched "The Circle" recently and despite its all-star cast and highly relatable theme, somehow left me cold.

Horrible movie. Always consider IMDB & Rotten Tomato scores (both) before investing your time in a movie. They get it right 90% of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4764760)
As plan for watching The Invisible Man got cancelled due to Corona virus scare and avoiding public places with too many people for now so decided to watch Knives Out instead.
Fantastic movie. Not a single dull scene. Daniel Craig with his weird accent was a joy to watch.

You will definitely enjoy "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" too. Go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4766217)
Please do let us know, WHERE you watch these movies.
It helps other members! :)

Knives out is on Airtel Xtreme. Not sure about parasite

Quote:

Watched:

1. Midway: The movie is based on the real events of the battle of midway. Its an exceptionally awesome movie and with captivating performances - 4.5/5

Thanks for bringing up this movie. The fight of the aircraft carriers at Midway was a crucial turning point in the naval warfare between Japan and US, basically the winner would have got full control of the pacific in either scenario.

And if it wasn't for the vital team that cracked the next attack location as Midway, the Japanese carriers were probably going to have a clear control over the entire region atleast for a much longer period.

Been waiting for it for long, and then I forgot about it. However the movie felt very disoriented; the fight scenes felt they lacked the punch. Although historically the movie stuck to the original storyline, the movie wasn't as gripping as any of the other WW2 movies

Midway: 3 / 5

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I pick up Bluray movies, since I have quite a collection. But, Parasite is a DVD issue. I pick up my stuff in Virgin, UAE or sometimes from National Market (Majestic). The guys there have a fantastic collection.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4766217)
Please do let us know, WHERE you watch these movies. It helps other members! :)

Quote:

Watched:

4. Spies In Disguise: Anime being my fav genre, I liked the movie and Will Smith is just amazing. So in the movie, a world-class spy(Smith) gets himself turned into a pigeon and the chronicles after that. A good one time watch - 3.5/5

Thanks for the tip. Was a good watch. Makes me wish Will Smith & Tom Holland get together for live action version of this movie :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvind71181 (Post 4766321)
Knives out is on Airtel Xtreme. Not sure about parasite

Knives Out is a great movie, watched it in theatre.

Is there a way to stream Airtel Xtreme on TV? The app is unavailable on Fire TV stick and the Airtel Xtream mobile app do not allow to cast to another device.

Instead of checking with members i will recommend the app JustWatch to check which streaming site is playing the movie. It's quite easy and useful. If it isn't there then obviously the person has either watched it in a movie hall or downloaded it.

Watched Survivor (2015)

Expected better from Pierce Brosnan.
Full Hindi picture.

Rating: 2.5/5

A long list thanks to many hours in flights

1.JoJo Rabbit - Masterful execution by Taika Waititi who manages to deliver a touching story with a good balance of humor as well as gravitas. Great screenplay and acting manages to deliver some pull at the heart string moments. Definitely will watch again. Rating - 4/5

2. Midway - Interesting to watch but there just wasn't enough time to build the characters and also deliver action. Hence the end result is an attempt to do some of the former and to quickly jump to the latter. On the whole a one time watch, maybe.Rating - 2.5/5

3. 1917 - A very honest, brutal and realistic take on WWI. Great BGM and cinematography make it very haunting and there were times when it makes you wonder if all the destruction was really worth it. Once again Sam Mendes delivers a great visual cinematic treat. Rating - 4/5

4. Spies in Disguise - Fun watch that manages to keep you hooked. Will Smith and his comic timing make this a good watch with family. Rating - 3/5

5. Parasite - Good story backed with some gritty acting and screenplay. Is it worth the hype, maybe-maybe not :D. Definitely worth a watch. Rating - 4/5

6. Marriage Story - Its about the Grey things in life that are hard to pin down. Its not wrong, its not right. Its just real. Adam Driver and Scar Jo make the characters very real and believable. Must watch if you love strong character driven movies Rating - 4/5

7. The Foreigner - A good fast paced action movie where Jackie Chan does not overdo his action or his acting. Decent story line as well. A good one time watch if you are in the mood for an action movie. Rating - 3/5

Probably the worst case of auto-generated sub-titles.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-fullscreen-capture-3132020-100157-am.bmp.jpg

For those folks who don't know the right words of the dialogue, Gal Gadot will help you there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ituTGKo986A

Boiler Room = 5 / 5 stars.

Fabulous movie about a young chap who takes a job in a high-pressure & unethical stock brokerage company. You will especially enjoy this if you are into business or marketing. The dialogues and sales pitches are extra-ordinary :thumbs up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoXMvNrQro